My favorite statistic

I was just looking in my profile to check on a statistic for another thread and that reminded me of my favorite stat listed in my profile (I used the FindStatsGen GSAK macro). My favorite stat is:

Total cache-to-cache distance: 105796 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

4.25x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.443x Distance to the Moon

I'm sure that there are many with a higher number but it seems pretty high for just over 1000 finds. It should increase significantly when I go to China in less than a week.

What's your favorite stat?

It's been a long time since I've run any stats, so I can't remember which program showed it, but one of them broke down your finds into distances and percentages from your home coords.

I was surprised to see that about half my finds were pretty far from home, something like 300-500 miles.

I also like seeing who's caches I've found the most.

Edited by Skippermark

We're relatively new and haven't posted advanced statistics yet on our profile, however....

Our favorite stat is consecutive days finding a cache. We found our first cache on 6/26 and have found at least one on every day since then. Barring a snow storm, we'd like to get 365 consecutive days.

I like to complete things / fill in grids – so at the moment I particularly enjoy seeing new counties on our map coloured in, caching on a day we haven’t before, getting a new difficulty/terrain combo, etc. So those are the parts of the stats I enjoy the most.

But I also like the pointless but fun things like the “caching centroid” that GSAK calculates, mine started off in the sea just west of Wales (as we had done some caches in England and some in Canada), but as we do more and more caches in England, it’s moving ever closer to home.

Total cache-to-cache distance: 105796 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

4.25x Earth Circumnavigation,

0.443x Distance to the Moon

I think I like that stat the best too. You better watch out... I'm catching up to you. I think I'll crack 700 miles this weekend for sure ;)

I also like the goal of the one cache per day for a year. I think I'll start with one cache per day for a month in November. It's not as hard up here in Oregon. I'll just do some urban ones during the rainy days.

Edited by TheFinleys

Cache to Cache Distance:

249861 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

10.04x Earth Circumnavigation,

1.046x Distance to the Moon

Furthest cache found: 8001.63 Miles, Gadao’s Cave GC10XT8

Most Northerly cache found: N 51° 37.060, Katzenberg GCJG7H

Most Southerly cache found: N 13° 16.558, Gadao’s Cave GC10XT8

Most Easterly cache found: E 144° 48.215, Where Tumon Ends GC10BZW

Most Westerly cache found: W 158° 17.001, Dead Man's Chest GC10T25

Cache centroid: N 42° 16.681 W 81° 31.125: excludes locationless caches.

37 of 50 States + DC

Cache to Cache Distance:

249861 Miles, Note: excludes locationless caches.

10.04x Earth Circumnavigation,

1.046x Distance to the Moon

Furthest cache found: 8001.63 Miles, Gadao’s Cave GC10XT8

Most Northerly cache found: N 51° 37.060, Katzenberg GCJG7H

Most Southerly cache found: N 13° 16.558, Gadao’s Cave GC10XT8

Most Easterly cache found: E 144° 48.215, Where Tumon Ends GC10BZW

Most Westerly cache found: W 158° 17.001, Dead Man's Chest GC10T25

Cache centroid: N 42° 16.681 W 81° 31.125: excludes locationless caches.

37 of 50 States + DC

Nice. 21 of 50 States for me, no DC, but I also have finds in 10 countries.

Furthest cache found: 8132.22 Miles, Aviation GC15TVT (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Most Northerly cache found: N 52° 19.562, TB Hotel Schiphol GCX6H0 (Amsterdam, NL)

Most Southerly cache found: S 26° 10.486, Aviation GC15TVT (Johannesburg, South Africa)

Most Easterly cache found: E 37° 08.089, TANAPA Mikumi NP GC169KE (Tanzanania)

Most Westerly cache found: W 122° 22.454, Public Access GCP52D (near San Francisco airport)

I don't know if Beijing will count as Easterly or Westerly, and, in fact don't even know exactly what direction I'll fly on the direct flight I'll be on from Newark, NJ to Beijing.

I'll never get a high number of smilies, FTFs, or even consecutive days in a row. There just aren't enough caches placed locally to sustain a high number of caches found on consecutive days.

I do like coloring in the state and country maps though.

Average words per log, which INATN used to do. I'm not as verbose as some, but that was one number I was proud of.

I like that one too. mygeocachingprofile.com tracks it.

I'd like that one, but can't seem to find the checkbox on mygeocachingprofile.com. Know where to find it to add it?

Thanks

You know what, interesting. I can't find it in the profile itself, but you can find your number on this sorted list:

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/cacherr...gs.aspx?sort=10

I'll email the folks who run the site and see if they can add it to the profile.

Has anyone ever thought about figuring out approx. how many caches there could be total on the earth with the current proximity rule in effect?

Then on top of that add to the mess the already existing caches, and take away the distance from the randomly scattered caches all over the earth. I bet some of you math wizards could figure it out in a short time frame.

Average words per log, which INATN used to do. I'm not as verbose as some, but that was one number I was proud of.

I'd like that one, but can't seem to find the checkbox on mygeocachingprofile.com. Know where to find it to add it?

Thanks

You know what, interesting. I can't find it in the profile itself, but you can find your number on this sorted list:

I'll email the folks who run the site and see if they can add it to the profile.

Well, that's kind of eerie. With 11,000+ people represented, you and I are within two places of each other.

Thanks

Position #484 with 376 word average. Very cool. ;)

Thanks

Well, that's kind of eerie. With 11,000+ people represented, you and I are within two places of each other.

Wow. I had never noticed they kept up with these on that site. Thanks!

(#646 with 348 characters.)

Maximum distance in a day: 8494 Miles, on 2/16/2009

(with help from the International Date Line)

I like that one too. I'll have to find a cache at about 11:00PM when I get home after flying for 15 hours but in about a week and a half from now I can potentially increase my maximum distance in a day from ~850 miles to ~6700 miles (Beijing to NY).

I wonder if there are any challenge like caches that ask the finder to note in their log the distance they traveled from their previous find that day. If I lived near an international airport I might do a cache like that and show the "record holders" on the cache page.

My favorite statistic

what's yours?

1072 Active Caches - Florida March 8, 2003

26914 Active Caches - Florida October 23 2010

How did you get the number for 2003? Just for comparison, using the state select list to show caches on hide and seek a cache page, New York has 19,102 active caches and as of just a few seconds ago (8:08AM EST) it tells me that Florida has 26,914 caches. No caches published in the last six hours?

California has 84,826.

It's too bad the Buxley site that shows geocache density has such old data. Although the header indicates it was last updated the 23rd of October, 2010 it also claims there are only 3608 active caches in the U.S. It would be interesting to see that data kept up to date (apparently there were legal issues) and see cache densities using a heat map. I'd also be interested in seeing geocacher density maps to see if they match up with cache densities.

seeing geocacher density maps to see if they match up with cache densities.

I don't believe there's any way to extract that information. It would likely be tough, even for Groundspeak.

My household of 2 cachers has 7 accounts - 2 premium.

I believe 6 of those accounts have logged finds (maybe all 7 do, I'm not going to check).

2 of those accounts own caches, and likely those are the only 2 with home coords entered.

So how would Groundspeak, or anyone else, follow or figure up "cacher density"?

I believe the unique accounts logging finds stat is the best they can do - and whether that over states cachers (double accounts) or understates (families, logging under one account) is hard to even guess.

How did you get the number for 2003?

pocket queries. In march 2003, 3 queries covered the state...

I have most of the old PQs I've ever created.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
seeing geocacher density maps to see if they match up with cache densities.

I don't believe there's any way to extract that information. It would likely be tough, even for Groundspeak.

My household of 2 cachers has 7 accounts - 2 premium.

I believe 6 of those accounts have logged finds (maybe all 7 do, I'm not going to check).

2 of those accounts own caches, and likely those are the only 2 with home coords entered.

So how would Groundspeak, or anyone else, follow or figure up "cacher density"?

I believe the unique accounts logging finds stat is the best they can do - and whether that over states cachers (double accounts) or understates (families, logging under one account) is hard to even guess.

Yeah, I guess it would be difficult to get an accurate number for the number of geocachers, but the number of active accounts would provide a reasonable estimate. The exact numbers wouldn't really matter if you were just interested in the relative density of geocaching accounts. Of course, I don't think that setting your home coordinates is required unless you want to have a cache published and the create a new account form doesn't even ask for your zipcode.

How did you get the number for 2003?

pocket queries. In march 2003, 3 queries covered the state...

I have most of the old PQs I've ever created.

Ah, of course. I guess one could filter on caches placed during a specific date range but that's only going to show caches that are active now, not what was active then.

Yeah, I guess it would be difficult to get an accurate number for the number of geocachers, but the number of active accounts would provide a reasonable estimate. The exact numbers wouldn't really matter if you were just interested in the relative density of geocaching accounts. Of course, I don't think that setting your home coordinates is required unless you want to have a cache published and the create a new account form doesn't even ask for your zipcode.

I'd be interested in how that looked as well, and I agree the available data is certainly good enough for government work. I'm not interested in convicting someone of a crime, I just want to look at a cool heat map.

Has anyone ever thought about figuring out approx. how many caches there could be total on the earth with the current proximity rule in effect?

f5177393-0d1a-4198-9642-e4534f806254.jpg

Factor in roads, buildings, and thousands of other inaccessible/disallowed locations and that number drops precipitously.

then factor in the caches already in play, or disabled, and the 528ft radius around those, and it drops even more, and that quite a bit of that land is desert or barron ice wasteland, and how much of that land is in politically unreachable countries,

I like watching our centroid travel, since we've gone to so many places and had three different sets of home coordinates so far (Germany, Virginia, and now Alabama). It was in Europe for quite some time, but it's gradually been pulling out to sea. Just this past month, it finally crossed over the Atlantic rift (according to Google Maps). It'll be cool when it makes landfall again.

I used to check the "top 10" states at INATN from time to time before they went offline, I like that mygeocachingprofile.com has them. I know this is just one stat site and not representative of the whole geocaching community, but it's cool being tied for third for finds in the most countries. (Thank you John Q. Taxpayer for helping subsidize our European caching travels!)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

My terrain average is 2.67. That will eventually drop, since I'm no longer traveling regularly to California, and there are few honest 3+ terrain caches in Florida. I'm #10 on mygeocachingprofile. I can't verify all the ones above me, and some have a lot fewer finds than I do, but at least some hold their positions honestly. Running Potatoe, with an average of 3.12, is obviously working on this stat specifically.

My average words per log, 899, puts me at #15. The only run-off-at-the-fingers cacher I know personally, chasomanor, is down at #30. At least some of the higher ones really do write much longer logs on a regular basis. Some of the others I couldn't find their long logs, but that would take quite a while. Some of them have a lot more finds that I do. There might be some long cut-and-paste entries in there, but I did not see any evidence of such games.

flask apparently hasn't uploaded. Her words per log would surely be higher than mine.

Of course, well under 1% of geocachers have uploaded to that site, though probably a much higher proportion of serious ones have done so.

I don't know if Beijing will count as Easterly or Westerly, and, in fact don't even know exactly what direction I'll fly on the direct flight I'll be on from Newark, NJ to Beijing.

Great Circle Mapper gives you the direction. The shortest route would be almost directly over the North Pole. Depending on the aircraft, current regulations, and current politics, they might shift toward the Pacific Ocean to avoid long times from emergency airports and Russian territory. I don't know the current politics re flying over Russia. I think that the best modern airliners can fly everywhere in the north except a small part of the Arctic Ocean. If you want to be within an hour of a diversion airport, you have to avoid quite a bit more area. See the ETOPS tab and the FAQ on the Great Circle Mapper site.

Edward

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

My terrain average is 2.67. That will eventually drop, since I'm no longer traveling regularly to California, and there are few honest 3+ terrain caches in Florida. I'm #10 on mygeocachingprofile. I can't verify all the ones above me, and some have a lot fewer finds than I do, but at least some hold their positions honestly. Running Potatoe, with an average of 3.12, is obviously working on this stat specifically.

My average words per log, 899, puts me at #15. The only run-off-at-the-fingers cacher I know personally, chasomanor, is down at #30. At least some of the higher ones really do write much longer logs on a regular basis. Some of the others I couldn't find their long logs, but that would take quite a while. Some of them have a lot more finds that I do. There might be some long cut-and-paste entries in there, but I did not see any evidence of such games.

flask apparently hasn't uploaded. Her words per log would surely be higher than mine.

flask has logged a bunch of my caches and I didn't find her to be exceedingly verbose.

Great Circle Mapper gives you the direction. The shortest route would be almost directly over the North Pole. Depending on the aircraft, current regulations, and current politics, they might shift toward the Pacific Ocean to avoid long times from emergency airports and Russian territory. I don't know the current politics re flying over Russia. I think that the best modern airliners can fly everywhere in the north except a small part of the Arctic Ocean. If you want to be within an hour of a diversion airport, you have to avoid quite a bit more area. See the ETOPS tab and the FAQ on the Great Circle Mapper site.

Edward

Thanks for the link. It's an interesting site. I really hope that my 13 hour flight has in-flight internet. The last time I flew I used it and connected to a flight stats site that showed real time tracking (on a google maps layer) of any active flight. I was able to look out the window and see a feature on the ground then identify it on the flight tracking map.