A Spinoff of the Lost Bug Thread

Guest Markwell

Guest Markwell

Sorry for the long explanation, but I need opinions, and I've put a lot of thought into this one.

In this thread, we've been talking about ways to prevent lost bugs.

As most of you have heard me whine, my Wonder Woman Travel Bug has gone AWOL. I have a contingency plan for putting an identical Wonder Woman back into play. I've got the ID card (see above thread) made up, and I've secured another Wonder Woman character on Ebay (two actually icon_biggrin.gif).

If the original WW doesn't show up, I want to send the replacement with the replacement card out to the owner of the cache she was last seen in, and have him ?restart? her in his cache, thus continuing her journey uninterupted.

But the original Wonder Woman was indicated that she may just be temporarily missing...

quote:
Wonder Woman is gone. Someone retreived her on 2/18 and the cache log says he was taking her to Florida. Neither the cache page or her Travel Bug page has been updated to reflect this and folks are dissapointed when they found she is not here. I can only hope that she will surface again in Florida and that whoever has her will come to realize the importance of making log entries.

It is unlikely that the transport person will log his visit to a Florida cache, since s/he didn't log the original one. But there is a possibility that some time in the future, a responsible Geocacher would find the original Wonder Woman and log her as found, which of course presents problems. To counter this, I'll put a note on the TB page indicating that the new bug is the ?true? Wonder Woman, and that the one with the dogtag TB is a original but defunct TB, and that it should be snail-mailed back to me.

If at all possible, I'd rather see the original bug show up and have to worry about correcting the logs to make the journey accurate - but I'm split down the middle as to whether this is going to happen or not.

Now that I've lost all your attention...

My question:

How long should I wait for any activity before sending out the replacement?

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

...My question:

How long should I wait for any activity before sending out the replacement?_

Probably at least twice as long as YOU think you should. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I know that as the concerned "parent", a few weeks seems like an eternity to you; but consider:

WW was picked up by someone who at least bothered to log the grab in the cache log and record the intended destination. Perhaps the trip was planned for a few weeks or more in the future (Spring break?). It may also take a few cache hunts before a suitable place is found to place her; that could add another week or more.

I'm a fairly active geocacher (50 finds in ~4 months), but it took me 3 weeks to find a suitable cache for a bug I picked up not long ago. I did log the pickup and drop off on the TB page, but the process did not seem as intuitive as other features on this site.

So don't give up hope just yet. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BigNick:

Or they might be on holiday from Florida, and just have not returned home, and back to their computer to log the cache?

Nick

Ah, but they didn't log taking her on the computer. People were going out to the cache to find her and she wasn't there. The owner of the cache went out and read the physical log book only to find that someone took her.

I'll wait longer. Thanks for the insight. Anyone in Florida keep and eye out for her. If the cacher follows suit, her placement will probably not be logged either.

Markwell

I know, it's a duplicate post - but I'm not sure how many also read the South and Southeast Forums.

Wonder Woman has been recovered from Florida and will be returned to Pennsylvania after her 1257 mile detour. I'm now waiting for an e-mail from Jeremy to see if we can reconstruct this phantom portion of her travels.

Thanks for all who told me to wait. Hopefully, the new card I'm sending out (see this thread) to have attached to her will be plain enough to prevent something like this happening again.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Markwell

quote:
In light of this, do you have any hope that Lord Baltimore will ever be recovered?

icon_mad.gif I think I will grab Lord Baltimore, hook the copy tag to a similar item and send it back out. Seeing how he has been placed at a bus stop in Iceland near a cache that nobody has found since July 2001.

...with Wonder Woman. But as I put forth above in the first post: the real problem come when (if) the original bug is found and transported. I know the chances are slim but there is a chance.

Maybe you could contact and English speaking cacher in the area and see if they'll pick him up and mail him to you. “Remote Control Caching” icon_wink.gif

Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Maybe you could contact and English speaking cacher in the area and see if they'll pick him up and mail him to you.

Do you really think that LB is still at the bus stop??? (And I don't believe it even said what bus stop...who knows how many are in the area.) The cache that was logged wasn't where the person left LB...he didn't even go there, but noticed it after the fact...and thought it would be a convenient place to log the bug, to give it credit for the mileage. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty confident that some non-geocacher found the toy, and will simply keep it.