Logging caches

jbroby

I am new to geocaching (close to 200 finds). I recieved a note deleting one of my logs from a well known geocacher in my area. This person explained that simply writing TFTC was not sufficient to indicate appreciation for the work and effort that is put into developing and placing caches. I agree with this person, however I am at loggerheads (pun intended) at what to include into my logs. I am not one to describe with who I was or how I felt. I do though indicate in my logs when I find an especially interesting cache or if for some reason I was feeling great, for example if the cache was especially intriguing or if it was placed in a great area, etc. Most logs I read in my area include details of with whom or what kind of weather it was, etc. I may be out in left field but I just don't see the point of detailing useless information that is only interesting to the writer. I do though, think it necessary to appreciate the efforts of cache developers with a thank you of some kind. It seems though that a simple sincere TYFTC is not enough for some. Are there any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance for your time.

jbroby

deleting your log for that reason is unacceptable

you should appeal it to Groundspeak or contact your local reviewer

you could first send a polite message to the CO a message saying that you will log the cache and that there is no guideline as to what a log should contain and how lengthy it should be, and if he deletes it again you will have no choice but to appeal to Groundspeak or contact your local reviewer

there is also no requirement that you tickle a CO's ego...the only requirement is that you signed the log

having said that, every cache owner likes some feedback on their cache and if its a good one the only way you could show your appreciation for his/her effort is to write a bit about your experience

usually just a TFTC log is unofficially recognized to translate into "your cache sucked"

Edited by t4e

You are doing the same as I am. If it was a camo container that blended in well, or was difficult and made me work hard to find it, I will comment on that. If it was a handmade pine cone or a stick with a bison tube hidden inside then I mention how I appreciated the extra effort it took to make the container. I only have 10 caches of my own hidden and I know they are easy and lame so I'm not bothered by TFTC SL. I am going to be more creative with future hides and earn the extra comments on how they enjoyed it. Don't let it bother you. You can filter out or ignore his caches if they didn't warrant an extra comment. There are plenty of others to find.

That's a shame that your log was deleted....and I don't think that there was a valid reason to do so. To regain your smiley, as you did find the cache and sign the log, I would enter it again. Perhaps with a few more words attached....like "signed log, took nothing but left fingerprints, thank you for the cache and bringing me to this <insert place here>. As a previous poster has mentioned, if it is good camo or a hide that you have to work for, a little mention of that is neat. As far as I am concerned, you sign the log, you get your smiley - TFTC or a longer log. Good job we're all different, or this would be a boring world.

That was rude of the CO to delete your log for that reason. As stated by other people responding to this thread, you can appeal to Groundspeak if you wish.

Ideas for logs:

"I totally looked in the wrong spot at first, but I found it in the end."

"Beautiful day out here today."

"Thanks for showing me this neat spot."

"Nice view."

"I never knew this place was here."

"I found the bees nest before I found the cache."

"I'm so sore I'm not gonna be able to move for three days, but that was a great hike."

"I had to wait out three muggles for this one, but I got it."

"You had me scratching my head for a while, but I finally figured it out."

"I hit the nearby store and got a well-deserved [food item] after finding the cache."

Little blurbs like that will satisfy even demanding COs. I like to write, so if I really enjoy a cache, I'll tell the story of why I enjoyed it (all the wrong dead-end trails I took before finding the right one, bushwhacking through the swamp because I'm an idiot and didn't go around, etc.). But not everyone likes to write, and that's fine. If writing a story feels like a chore, then by all means, don't do it. Geocaching is supposed to be fun.

I always thought it nice to put a little effort into the post to respect the effort the CO puts into placing and maintaining the cache.

But on those days when you pick up 20+ it is hard to write a personalized story for every cache.

We carry a notebook and pen with us to jot down our finds so we can write at least a few words to personalize the logs. (http://www.quiverglobal.com/news/2/Geocaching-with-my-Pocket-Quiver.html)

A few words don’t take very long and it means a lot

When we went to our first geocaching event, the GONIL meeting last May, we asked CO's what they wanted to hear.

Yes, they like to hear a little more than "TFTC".

But the CO's we talked to were most interested in hearing about the cache condition!

Since then, my default is 'cache is in great shape, TFTC!' unless of course it isn't.

If the log is wet or full, I let them know if I was able to replace it (or not).

And if there was something special about the find, I refer to the notes in my notebook and try to write a few words to let them know that I appreciate their creativity or effort.

I have to admit that I have posted a few "TFTC" and that was it. I also have to admit that I have posted some too-long-narratives because they were entertaining to me.

As I have matured as a cacher I tend to think about the audience for the logs as I write them, and try to answer their basic questions as I write the log:

1. Is the cache there?

2. Is it in great shape, or does it need maintenance?

3. What was especially fun about the find?

4. And if we post that we didn’t find it, we try to communicate exactly how we really tried. Then we always end those logs with “We hope we missed something” instead of assuming “the cache must be gone”. Right now we are about 50-50 on caches that we dnf’d that have gone missing vs. caches that we just needed to work smarter

Even if the cache sucked, you could write something like...

A quick easy find on a cool autumn day. Thanks for the cache.

or

One of 5 caches we found today. This one was easy.

or

Looked in wrong place at first, but finally found it. Thanks for the cache.

Except if it were an LPC in a WalMart Parking lot ... :yikes:

What a clever way to hide an LPC. Usually the film canister is under the NW corner of the cover, but this one was in the SE corner! This therefore required a lot of extra effort to lean a little further out of the window. I almost had to release my seatbelt! Also, I really enjoyed the looks I got from muggles as I lifted the skirt with a loud screech! Thanks for taking me to this scenic parking lot! :huh:

I don't think deleting your log was acceptable in that case.

I'm guilty of leaving "TFTC!" myself if that's ALL I can think of to write.

Honestly, it's like receiving a present, only for it to be taken away because "what? THANK YOU IS ALL YOU CAN SAY!? YOU DON'T APPRECIATE ME AT ALL!!!!!!! -whineemomoan-"

:/

I can understand why cache owners like to get more than that, but honestly. I'd rather get a single TFTC myself, than wade through finds filled with pointless sentences I can tell were forced for the sole purpose of the logger saying more than...thank you.

Now, it's easy to find things to comment on in most cases. Nice, scenic area? Say so. Cache a bit soggy? Say so. Container cracking? Say so.

But if it's a perfectly intact container, no maintenance needed, nothing thoughtful to say about the hide or area at the time...

They really should be content with "thank you."

Edited by Ayeaka

I'd appeal it to Groundspeak because if your log was deleted future people's logs may get deleted for the same reason or even people's logs have deleted. This will continue to be a problem for others with this cache owner.

That being said in this case I would probably do a "Thanks for the cache. I have to add more words to this log for some reason so here I'm adding extra words. And oh I found the cache right where you put it." If there's no redeeming qualities to write about the cache.

On a normal day I try to put something about my cache hunt in the log. Sometimes there's more to write and sometimes there's less.

That was rude of the CO to delete your log for that reason. As stated by other people responding to this thread, you can appeal to Groundspeak if you wish.

Ideas for logs:

"I totally looked in the wrong spot at first, but I found it in the end."

"Beautiful day out here today."

"Thanks for showing me this neat spot."

"Nice view."

"I never knew this place was here."

"I found the bees nest before I found the cache."

"I'm so sore I'm not gonna be able to move for three days, but that was a great hike."

"I had to wait out three muggles for this one, but I got it."

"You had me scratching my head for a while, but I finally figured it out."

"I hit the nearby store and got a well-deserved [food item] after finding the cache."

These are all some specific examples of thing you might write but you can also come up with something in a more general sense.

You can describe the relative ease of difficulty in finding the cache and/or reaching the location.

You can say how long it took ("Found it in three minutes...or this one took a long time"

You can write where you came from or where went after finding the cache.

Look for something, anything on the way to/from the cache or at GZ and mention it.

If the weather was really nice or not so nice, mention it.

If you didn't see anyone else around or it was "muggle city", you can say so.

Even if you can't think of anything to add, simply writing out your thanks rather than reducing it to an acronym might help. Writing something like "Found it! I didn't trade anything today. Thanks" sounds more personal than TNLNSL. TFTC.

If you've found a bunch of caches on a given day, chances are that more than one was from the same CO, so mix it up.

OP can learn from this that rubbish logs aren't appreciated, but should not pander to the stroppy CO. Repost "TFTC". Or cut 'n' paste a long foreign log and give the CO a headache working out what the heck's going on - e.g. ゴジラには惹かれました。近隣のキャッシュを見つけてから来たので、あそこかな?と察しがつきました。キャッシュを有難うございます。 (something about Godzilla, apparently).

As others said, it was wrong for him to delete your log. As much as I dislike TFTC logs on my caches, sometimes a cache is so unremarkable that TFTC is all that is worth writing. An owner requiring you to write more with a threat of deletion is implementing an illegal ALR and could get his cache archived.

That said, unless the cache is totally lame, I'm sure you can manage more than TFTC. No need to write a book, but a comment about the area, the container, the weather or mentioning that you enjoyed yourself would be nice.

I am new to geocaching (close to 200 finds). I recieved a note deleting one of my logs from a well known geocacher in my area. This person explained that simply writing TFTC was not sufficient to indicate appreciation for the work and effort that is put into developing and placing caches. I agree with this person, however I am at loggerheads (pun intended) at what to include into my logs. I am not one to describe with who I was or how I felt. I do though indicate in my logs when I find an especially interesting cache or if for some reason I was feeling great, for example if the cache was especially intriguing or if it was placed in a great area, etc. Most logs I read in my area include details of with whom or what kind of weather it was, etc. I may be out in left field but I just don't see the point of detailing useless information that is only interesting to the writer. I do though, think it necessary to appreciate the efforts of cache developers with a thank you of some kind. It seems though that a simple sincere TYFTC is not enough for some. Are there any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance for your time.

jbroby

I would likely post a short bland sentence about how I arrived at the location, looked for less than a minute, and then signed the log. Alternatively, this cache owner may deserve a log such as "not the best or worst cache out there, certainly.". Edited by sbell111

I am also guilty of very terse logs. I log right after I find the cache with just a TFTC, and when I get home I edit the log and put something longer, but never too long.

The problem is that the people watching the cache get the email notification with the original log and not with the edition... But I do not think that it is worse than some guys that make 20 a day and place exactly the same copy and pasted log in each of them...

What do you sugest?

a) Continue logging with just a tftc and at home edit it to a decent log;

:yikes: not log online and log the verbose log at home;

c) post short log, and at home delete it and log again...

Thoughts?

jbroby

I would repost: Thank you for bringing me to to this (guardrail, lamppost, utility box, etc) I can see why you were proud of this location. The view of the passing traffic is really neat and is certainly different than it might be just 100ft away. The litter and graphitti are artistically placed. TFTC"

jbroby

I would repost: Thank you for bringing me to to this (guardrail, lamppost, utility box, etc) I can see why you were proud of this location. The view of the passing traffic is really neat and is certainly different than it might be just 100ft away. The litter and graphitti are artistically placed. TFTC"

You forgot to add "delete my log and I'll delete your cache".

They cant delete logs for that reason, so the CO is out of line. If anyone do that to me, I will be posting a NA and explain what happen.

I can be a jerk at time, any CO that put a message on their cache page that they dont like short lame log will get one from me. So, dont give me any idea that you hate short lame log.

jbroby

It is true what others have said that they are not allowed to delete logs for TFTC any more. Of course they WERE allowed to have rants on the cache page, and delete logs for lameness up to about a year ago.

Besides, your logs are not "TFTC", they are "MBPLC". :yikes: I looked at a few caches where you posted that, and they appear to be lame roadside micros. It does look as though you pretty much stand alone in the cache logs in your area by typing only MBPLC. Apparently I-Phone Geocaching (which often involves TFTC only logs being posted by newbies) hasn't caught on in Quebec yet, or this cache owner would be seeing many of these logs. :huh:

you could first send a polite message to the CO a message saying that you will log the cache and that there is no guideline as to what a log should contain and how lengthy it should be, and if he deletes it again you will have no choice but to appeal to Groundspeak or contact your local reviewer

there is also no requirement that you tickle a CO's ego...the only requirement is that you signed the log

having said that, every cache owner likes some feedback on their cache and if its a good one the only way you could show your appreciation for his/her effort is to write a bit about your experience

usually just a TFTC log is unofficially recognized to translate into "your cache sucked"

Thank you for your reply. I will take your advice into consideration in my decision. Encore merci!

You are doing the same as I am. If it was a camo container that blended in well, or was difficult and made me work hard to find it, I will comment on that. If it was a handmade pine cone or a stick with a bison tube hidden inside then I mention how I appreciated the extra effort it took to make the container. I only have 10 caches of my own hidden and I know they are easy and lame so I'm not bothered by TFTC SL. I am going to be more creative with future hides and earn the extra comments on how they enjoyed it. Don't let it bother you. You can filter out or ignore his caches if they didn't warrant an extra comment. There are plenty of others to find.

Thank you for replying. Your comments will help me orient my logs in the future. Merci.

That's a shame that your log was deleted....and I don't think that there was a valid reason to do so. To regain your smiley, as you did find the cache and sign the log, I would enter it again. Perhaps with a few more words attached....like "signed log, took nothing but left fingerprints, thank you for the cache and bringing me to this <insert place here>. As a previous poster has mentioned, if it is good camo or a hide that you have to work for, a little mention of that is neat. As far as I am concerned, you sign the log, you get your smiley - TFTC or a longer log. Good job we're all different, or this would be a boring world.

Thank you for your comments, they have given me some ideas for future commets. Merci.

Hello All Geocachers who have responded to my query,

Thank you all so much for your much appreciated comments. I will take them all into consideration in the future and will also try my best to include pertinent information in my logs. As for the CO of the cache who deleted my log I will simply invite him to read this forum. Again much appreciated and HAPPY GEOCACHING!

jbroby.

The CO shouldn't have deleted this log, and you should contact geocaching.com to have it restored. Be sure to provide the GC code # and the date of your log when you contact them. I wouldn't bother engaging the cache owner in further dialogue.

I have written all kinds of things in my logs over the years. Sometimes I'll comment on the cache or location. Sometimes the cache makes me think of a certain song and I'll post a snippet of lyrics. Sometimes I'll just post something random that I think is funny or will make others smile.

But even on my power caching runs where I find dozens of similar hides on guard rails, lamp posts and other routine locations I manage to find something to write besides TFTC. I do think it's a bit rude to simply log with initials and not say anything more. But you are not required to do any more that that if you signature is on the physical log.

I have to agree with the majority here, the CO should not have removed your post, but I like to be wordy when logging my finds. There is allways a story to tell, even if it just to say you had a good time. When I look at a cache to go find, if I see alot of TFTC or TNLN on the logs I may not go find that cache thinking it is not worth finding.

Buy as everyone has said "A find is a find" and the CO may not like what you logged but you did go out and find the cache.

jbroby

You forgot to add "delete my log and I'll delete your cache".

LOL That's what I call the 'nuclear' option. I just don't go around threatening people's caches with destruction. It has only come up once, in almost 500 finds. What was I supposed to do, tuck my tail between my legs, and agree to return to a cache more than 50 miles from my home, just to satisfy some logging requirement? No way. If I had returned, it would have at the very least been with my big set of pliers, and my large screwdriver, and I would have opened that cache, one way or another.

While simply writing "TFTC" is an appalling thing to do in most situations, it is not a valid reason for log deletion.

OK, I like that one. I need to replace "I dislike Windsor and Sarnia because they're gross" anyways. ;)

I will be sad to see it go - the more people who know about Windsor and Sarnia's grossness, the better we'll all be - but I'm pleased that you are continuing the narcissa quotation tradition.

While simply writing "TFTC" is an appalling thing to do in most situations, it is not a valid reason for log deletion.

OK, I like that one. I need to replace "I dislike Windsor and Sarnia because they're gross" anyways. :P

I will be sad to see it go - the more people who know about Windsor and Sarnia's grossness, the better we'll all be - but I'm pleased that you are continuing the narcissa quotation tradition.

I see no reason as to why you shouldn't promote the Narcissa trad. to a Narcissa multi! She's worth a multi ;)

OK, I like that one. I need to replace "I dislike Windsor and Sarnia because they're gross" anyways. :lol:

I see no reason as to why you shouldn't promote the Narcissa trad. to a Narcissa multi! She's worth a multi ;)

Aww, it's been a while since we hijacked a thread with :P .

OK, I like that one. I need to replace "I dislike Windsor and Sarnia because they're gross" anyways. :o

Aww, it's been a while since we hijacked a thread with :P .

It's been to long, hasn't it? **Leans over** :lol::P:D

Most logs I read in my area include details of with whom or what kind of weather it was, etc. I may be out in left field but I just don't see the point of detailing useless information that is only interesting to the writer.
There are plenty of cache-related things you could type, which few people do, such as any specific items you took or left. And whether the container's wet, dirty, clean or dry, empty or full, or if the container is getting worn out. How much paper is left to sign the log. And whether or not the hide is still decent -- is the container basically real obvious after X number of finds? I won't type just a "TFTC", although I won't delete the log I received on one of my caches, just a lower-case letter "d".

Unless it's an obviously unmaintained trash heap, I try to find something positive to say about a cache. Even if I have to resort to "The entire universe is un-horrible, right up to within a 30-foot radius of this cache. Thanks!".

Edited by kunarion

"I may not agree with you writing only TFTC but I will defend to the death your right to write it."

Voltaire.

(Maybe)

(Or he would have said it if he'd been a geocacher on this forum.)

MrsB :rolleyes:

I noticed that a lot of newbies are not even saying thank you much less TFTC!

There are also quite a few COs that wouldn't even consider TFTC a proper thank you.

"I may not agree with you writing only TFTC but I will defend to the death your right to write it."

Voltaire.

(Maybe)

There are also quite a few COs that wouldn't even consider TFTC a proper thank you.

Seems to be more common with the newbies. TFTC does make me wonder sometimes, though. I think it's a spectacular view! TFTC? Oh, well. But I'm certainly not insulted by it, and would never consider deleting it. I guess if someone's on a numbers run, s/he didn't have time to admire the view. His/her loss, not mine.

jbroby

LOL! TFTL!

Voltaire.

(Maybe)

Seems to be more common with the newbies. TFTC does make me wonder sometimes, though. I think it's a spectacular view! TFTC? Oh, well. But I'm certainly not insulted by it, and would never consider deleting it. I guess if someone's on a numbers run, s/he didn't have time to admire the view. His/her loss, not mine.

It's true that as a CO you can't force anyone to experience a cache as you've intended (i.e. bringing them to a spot with a nice view to enjoy) but I wish people would stop using "I was on a numbers run" as an excuse to post terse logs, slap stickers on a container, drive on environmentally sensitive areas, or the variety of other methods employed to save time. If someone wants to go power caching, that's fine, but try to justify only writing TFTC on my caches just because you are trying to find as many caches as you can.

I agree with what has been posted by most. While I am underwhelmed when someone post a only "TFTC" for one of my caches, I would not consider deleting the find. I always try to write something, even if find a lame cache. You can always post something humorous like "Enjoyed watching the pigeons wrestle for a French fry in WalMart parking lot." Just post something.

As for dealing with your situation. Complaining to the Frog about your find deletion will likely result in a lot of bad will between you and the CO (and possibly the CO's friends.) Yes you are in the right and he was wrong to delete it. But is it worth a pissing match? I would suggest extending the olive branch and write a better log. It may seem like you are caving in but sometimes a little concession goes a long way in mending fences. Chalk it up as a learning experience and find some more caches!

Again I would like to thank everyone for the time you all took in responding, noting or otherwise commenting on this thread. You have all helped a 'newbie' learn a few lessons about this great activity. Our no how doesn't come mainly from our good experiences but from our mistakes. I wish you all happy times and contentment. Salut!

Jean-Bernard Roby

Again I would like to thank everyone for the time you all took in responding, noting or otherwise commenting on this thread. You have all helped a 'newbie' learn a few lessons about this great activity. Our no how doesn't come mainly from our good experiences but from our mistakes. I wish you all happy times and contentment. Salut!

Jean-Bernard Roby

Being a newbie at this, I didn't even know that TFTC was considered rude. If there's other activity around, there might be limited time for writing a longer message. In the future, I'll endeavor to be more verbose....

[

Being a newbie at this, I didn't even know that TFTC was considered rude. If there's other activity around, there might be limited time for writing a longer message. In the future, I'll endeavor to be more verbose....

I believe you can just sign your geocaching name on the physical log sheet at the cache, along with the date? But this thread has been about writing a bit more on the "Found It" logs here on Geocaching.com.

I had imagined a CO with a hundred caches hidden. They might recieve 10 e-mails a day during the week from Geocaching.com saying so-and-so found your cache, and could recieve hundreds of e-mails over a busy weekend. I thought the CO might not always have the time to read about what I had for lunch, or my adventures finding the cache. Certainly cache condition updates would be of benefit, but if I had nothing interesting to add, then a polite, quick, thank you would be in order. The logs previously written on the caches I am finding are often TFTC, or a cut-n-paste "I found it on the way to some really cool event I actually care about, but since I was in the area I picked up this one for the numbers" sort of sounding post. Personally, I would be a bit peeved to read that on a handful of my caches!

I did not know the history of logging, or that CO's might find a quickie log rude. I will endeavor to find something unique to say! This sort of information is helpful for a newbie, so we can step on fewer toes. :D

Thanks!

Here are some more ideas:

All cache finds are not the same (so presumably your logging of their experiences doesn't need to be the same). So what makes a cache find different?

How far did you have to travel to get to the cache?

Did you make any wrong turns along the way?

How long did it take you to find the cache?

Did you find it in the first place you looked?

What is the type of container you expected to find?

What spot did you sign on the logsheet?

Who signed on the logsheet before you?

Did you see anything interesting on the way to, at, or on the way from the cache site? Wildlife? Stupid muggles? Somebody talking on a cell phone?

In general, when I write logs, I use the log to try to help me remember the experience of finding the cache. Obviously, people who write "TFTC" never go back and read their old logs, though.

As a cache owner, I feel like it's my responsibility to make sure that the cache finder has some kind of interesting or unique experience in the process of finding my cache. If my cache is so pedestrian that a finder can park and grab in ten seconds, then I really don't deserve much more than a "TFTC" and I've failed in my attempt to enrichen the cache finder's life. Sometimes I get logs from ride-alongs who really don't have much of an experience, and it shows in their logs. I just try to ignore those people. They're not my target audience.

To tell you the truth, most cache owners would probably prefer a note that says "I can't remember a danged thing that was interesting about finding this cache." over "TFTC".

Even if the cache sucked, you could write something like...

A quick easy find on a cool autumn day. Thanks for the cache.

or

One of 5 caches we found today. This one was easy.

or

Looked in wrong place at first, but finally found it. Thanks for the cache.

Except if it were an LPC in a WalMart Parking lot ... :sad:

What a clever way to hide an LPC. Usually the film canister is under the NW corner of the cover, but this one was in the SE corner! This therefore required a lot of extra effort to lean a little further out of the window. I almost had to release my seatbelt! Also, I really enjoyed the looks I got from muggles as I lifted the skirt with a loud screech! Thanks for taking me to this scenic parking lot! :(

in arizona the film can is usually on the southeast side of the lamp post.