Laser Rangefinder

apollosmith

I just purchased a range finder for deer hunting and realized that it would be perfect for rough measuring described distances from datasheets. Anybody else use a rangefinder for this?

I purchased a Nikon RifeHunter 550. It's accurate to 18" at <100 yards and to 1 yard at >100 yards and has a range of 550 yards. This is MUCH more accurate and easier than GPS measurements, but less accurate though infinitely easier than pulling tape or running a wheel.

It also has an inclinometer and can also tell you true horizontal distance. For example, you can point at the top of a visible object or building and it will tell you the horizontal distance to the base of that object (assuming a 90 degree angle). Seeing as all surveying measurements are true horizontal distance, this could come in handy.

Additionally, you could also record the true distances for both the top and bottom (or top and calculated horizontal distance) of an object (e.g., a smoke stack) and with some basic Pythagorean Mathematics you can get a good estimate of the height of the object. Anyway, it's going in my benchmark hunting toolbox if for nothing other than the geek factor.

Edited by apollosmith

How much does one of those cost? Does it mount to a tripod?

Yep, $242 at Amazon. There's a video of it in action at

that demonstrates very well how the true horizontal distance works. Unfortunately, it does not have a tripod mount.

There's also the Nikon Forestry 550 which has a lot more functionality for angular and distance measurements. But, also (inexplicably) no tripod mount. A search for Hypsometer Rangefinder shows several other similar products.

I had also purchased the Bushnell Scout 1000 Arc. It has a 1000 yard range, 1 yard accuracy, and a tripod mount. But it only shows true horizontal distance below 100 yards. As a rifle hunter in the Rockies, knowing the true horizontal distance at long distances was critical functionality, so I returned it for the Nikon RifleHunter 550.

I use the Bosch DLR 165. Amazon seems to sell it, for about $250, from a 3rd party. It does have a threaded tripod socket. I usually measure distances of about 75 ft. max., but its performance is reduced in bright sunshine or against a white backgound (hard to see the laser pip). This can be taken care of by shooting at a reflective target (I use a small cookie sheet with reflective tape on one side), but if you try this, you have to be careful not to overload the receiver, causing it to give an error and recycle. With a reflector, it will do 150 ft. easily, with the problem being one of holding the laser pip steady on the target long enough for the receiver to register its range. Since the reflective tape gives back a flaming reflection, you can usually get a reading even at 150 ft. plus after a few tries.

This thing is very useful for ranging on referenced points that are on the other side of roadways (without killing yourself) and for getting the range to new references you need to tie to in the field.

It's about the size of a cell phone, but 3x as thick.

Edited by pgrig

Wow! You're talking some serious distance!

I've got the DLR130 (the 130-foot version of the Bosch laser measuring device). When I purchased it six months ago, it was selling for $139 at surveyor supply stores; $99 at Lowes Home Improvement.

It's a wonderful tool. In fact, as a real estate agent, I could not get along without it. However, I have trouble finding the laser beam at 75 feet and greater, outdoors. They could improve the sighting notches, which are nearly useless.

I use the device frequently when benchmark hunting. It works well when I aim at the wall of a building, and it's easier than pulling a tape across a roadway. When I need a stand-alone target, I use a blank, white sign board. I have not tried a true reflective surface.

The company sells eye glasses which make it easier to spot the laser dot, outdoors. Anybody tried them? Or does anyone know what color would enhance this?

-Paul-

For a red dot, the glasses should be red to pass that color and reduce other colors.

But don't expect miracles. I've got one of the el-cheapo handyman laser levels that I picked up at a garage sale and it came with red goggles. They help a little but are not worth the bother inside. I'll try to remember to go outside tomorrow and experiment.

Be sure to read your state's rules before using the laser devices for game hunting-some have serious rules against laser sights on a weapon and I don't know if the distance machines are allowed.

I found the red goggles to be almost worthless. Ditto the small, red, plastic reflective target pieces (sold by Stanley, if I recall)--these might work OK if you're measuring over 20 ft. in your dim basement for a home improvement project, but they do not help in stalking the wild benchmark.

Another thing that I used to use (when I spent time hunting benchmarks near roadways and city streets) was a reflective traffic cone, the kind with two or three strips of reflective tape wrapped around the top 18" or so. That could be placed over the mark and ranged upon. It can also be placed near a telephone pole or fire hydrant (fire plug? :-) ) and be used similarly. It's harder to hold the laser device steady on such a cone, though.

Again, I wouldn't think that long distances (over 50 ft. or so) would be possible w/o a reflective target, and I strongly recommend the cookie sheet approach. The reflective tape is expensive, but worth it. I still carry around a scratch awl to jab into a tree or a telephone pole (or the side of a house), running through the hole in the edge of the cookie sheet, to hold it up for ranging on. Works like a charm. (But also requires putting a cork over the tip of the awl when not in use, to avoid possible serious injury to the benchmark-hunter.)

I agree that the "sights" in the Bosch are virtually useless. It's a trial-and-error process of pointing the laser, thus the brighter and larger the target the better.

Edited by pgrig