Caches near home etiquette

So I have 2 caches very close to my house along our daily dog walk route. Occasionally I will see a known cacher or someone I suspect of caching (tromping through the weeds near GZ) while we are out.

What is the appropriate etiquette? Should I ignore them, give them a little ribbing ("Hey whatcha doin?"), wait nearby (but out of sight) till they head back to their car and then chat with them.

My dog (named Cache) wears a cachekinz TB on his collar, so I always try to give them his code to they can discover him (if they want).

So, what's the consensus, ignore them, talk to them, stalk them???

If I have my GPSr on me, I'll sometimes hold it up with a questioning look on my face as I walk by. If they recognize it, it usually starts a conversation; if they don't, it's less awkward than trying to talk to them.

I don't carry my GPSr with me nearly as often these days, so I've switched to putting the geocaching application on my iPhone and holding that up.

We have a large park nearby, and there are about 12 caches within easy walking distance of my house.

There's one cache in particular that takes a bit longer to find, so sometimes I see a car parked beside the access and some cachers looking around in the bushes.

My usual approach is "You find it yet?". They're always sort of "whaa.... :P " not expecting to see anyone because the area never gets any traffic. I give them a little pressure encouragement waiting around for them to find it, helping them if they need it. I always enjoy talking afterwards too, they don't usually expect someone like me to be the owner. :D

Met about 7-8 cachers in the park, and whenever I go for a walk I look for any GPSr's one might be carrying.

So I have 2 caches very close to my house along our daily dog walk route. Occasionally I will see a known cacher or someone I suspect of caching (tromping through the weeds near GZ) while we are out.

What is the appropriate etiquette? Should I ignore them, give them a little ribbing ("Hey whatcha doin?"), wait nearby (but out of sight) till they head back to their car and then chat with them.

My dog (named Cache) wears a cachekinz TB on his collar, so I always try to give them his code to they can discover him (if they want).

So, what's the consensus, ignore them, talk to them, stalk them???

Actually I was checking on 2 of my caches today and saw cachers at both. I did stop and say hello. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

The official geocacher greeting, according to Briansnat, is:

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Listen very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

The official geocacher greeting, according to Briansnat, is:

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Listen very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

HAA HAA HAAA :D

Now that briansnat has given the "official" reply ( i always love that story!!!) How would you like to be treated? Personally, If i arrive at GZ and someone is lurking nearby, I'll pass it up. Only been "caught" once. Was at a stone wall outside an old cemetary. 2 people out walking a dog, one shouted "did you find the cache?" I was taken a bit aback, but quickly recovered, pulled out my wallet, and replied just as loudly "no, I already have plenty" They moved on and I found the hide.

I drive by one of our caches every day on the way home from work and one day I spotted a woman sitting in her car right by it and it looked like she was writing something. I almost stopped but didn't. When she logged it find I asked her if she drove a _____ and made the find about 6 PM. It was her and she said I should have stopped, she would have loved to meet. We are in contact as she lives in the area and hope to really meet and go caching together!

Tina

I always talk to folks when I think they're Geocaching. More often than not, I say "Greetings, Geocacher!". I've met some really nice folks and had great conversations with cachers that I met like this.

On one occasion, I saw the Groundspeak logo in someone's back window and asked them if they were Geocaching. They told me that they weren't, at which point I said "Too bad, as there are several new caches that just published on this trail". They immediately changed their story about what they were doing. :yikes:

I met a fellow cacher @ the Grand Junction Oktoberfest, mentioned his t shirt (I forgot what event it was for), told him I was a noob having trouble with a cache , & got a bit of help from him & his lovely wife. Hopefully, I can get him & some others interested in a group in the area. As for the 2 caches I'm in between, I don't see anyone working them.