More than we bargained for...

T4TH

About 2 weeks ago, our daughter was home for the weekend from college. My wife and I planned to geocache that Saturday, and we were happy that our daughter decided to join us.

We had a few lined up for that day, and one of them was at the "Bridge of Dreams", which is one of the longest covered bridges in Ohio (actually the longest covered bridge in Ohio is up in Ashtabula County). After successfully finding the cache and leisurely walking back to the car, we were halfway across this bridge and was looking off down the river. About 100 yards away I noticed a young man fishing. As I was turning around, something white caught my eye in the brush about 50 yards away. I looked again and found that it was a middle-aged woman squatting near the river bank. While she was out of sight from the fisherman, she was in full view of those of us walking on the bridge. Her car was parked about 25 to 30 feet off the side of the road and apparently, she could hold it no longer.

My daughter and wife wondered what I was snickering about and came over to see her finish her business. I had a point and shoot camera with me, and I did just that ... pointed and shot just over the rail so as not to be seen. It was one of the funniest things we experienced and had such a hard time keeping our laughing under control. This poor woman obviously felt she was in dire straits and resorted to taking care of business (so to speak). It would have been devastating had we laughed out loud at her predicament.

The crazy thing with this whole story was, there were outdoor toilets not more than 50 yards in the other direction from her, had she just driven a tad bit more.

I guess in a way, it's like geocaching ... out in the field, I'm dead certain that I'm right on top of that cache. Yet, had I taken a little more time and not been so intent on being sure that it's "right here", I would probably have found more of them a lot quicker.

But where's the photo you ask? See the blog for the photo.

TFTC!

Edited by kayakjim

I am not prude by any sense of the imagination but I think the posting of the photo to be in extremely poor taste. In fact, name calling might be in order but not sure I want to be banned this week.

I’m not convinced I’d have taken the photo, let alone put it on my blog. But given that there’s no way the caught-short lady could possibly be identified from that pic, I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

Your blog looks good at a glance OP, I love reading geocaching blogs, will add this one to my reader

I'm going to agree with the above poster. I wouldn't have taken a picture of that either. Since I was a little kid, I've never been able to use the woods for that business. What I thought was some irrational paranoia/fear I guess has become a bit more valid. Someone might take a picture of my arse! :santa:

It's been a couple months since I've been back to this forum, and I guess that I'm a little surprised by a couple of the responses. I guess some have a limited sense of humor. Sorry you were upset by that - but I didn't post the photo here for obvious reasons. You made the choice to view the photo by visiting the blog. With prior notice you still made the choice to view the photo - is the bad taste from me posting it, or by you knowingly wanting to see it? :D

To those visiting the blog who aren't offended - thanks for visiting. Please feel free to share your experiences of caching. That's the whole point of the blog. Such an awesome sport/hobby ... I'd love to hear your stories as well.

TFTC!

This poor woman obviously felt she was in dire straits and resorted to taking care of business (so to speak). It would have been devastating had we laughed out loud at her predicament.

But so much less devastating to take her picture and post it on the web - I guess you assume that she doesn't have a computer and would never see it.

I'm not generally humour impaired but find your intentional or unintentional demoralization of another human being to be completely tasteless.

Now this is the exact reason why I don't hunt for drive-up caches. They meet the same requirements as roadside potty stops:

- a good pull out for your car nearby, but hidden from view of passing traffic

I also think it was in poor taste to post the picture on your blog. It's one thing to chuckle about inadvertently finding her, but taking the picture was a conscious decision of voyeurism. Posting the picture online is the act of an immature prankster.

I am not prude by any sense of the imagination but I think the posting of the photo to be in extremely poor taste. In fact, name calling might be in order but not sure I want to be banned this week.

I’m not convinced I’d have taken the photo, let alone put it on my blog. But given that there’s no way the caught-short lady could possibly be identified from that pic, I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

Your blog looks good at a glance OP, I love reading geocaching blogs, will add this one to my reader

I'll agree with this particular post. I'd probably never take the pic, or post it to the web myself, but I don't see it as a big deal seeing as she couldn't possibly be identified.

That is an absolutely outstanding Geocaching blog, especially considering your limited "experience" (less than 50 finds as I post this, starting in June 2010). And an important thing is no spoiler photos of caches, which for some reason seem to plague the blogs of even the most experienced cachers. :ph34r:

Even though I'm from Western NY, I blew through what appears to be your general caching area on the way to Columbus last summer. And blow I did, I drove past the Spillway cache in what is your latest blog post (December 2010) due to lack of time. Too bad I missed that one, looks excellent.

I'll be stopping by and reading. Questionable pics of tinkling Women aside. :P