Pocket Queries - I'm Lost

T4TH

Kinda new to geocaching but having a great time. I have been adding GPX files one-by-one while my GPS is hooked up to the computer. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W/255WT unit that is primarily used for travel, but since getting involved with geocaching, I've been exploiting it to death for geocaching. I know at some point I need a 'real' GPS for the field, but for now, this works.

I understand the concept of pocket queries, and have gone through the process of initiating one and getting the zipped file. This is where I'm stuck. What now? I've unzipped the file and have a .gpx file and a -wpts.gpx file.

I looked through the file folders of my Garmin through Windows Explorer and added both to the same folder that holds all my other .gpx files, but they don't show up on the GPS. I'm certain I'm missing a few steps in order for these to show up.

Can someone provide a "Pocket Queries for Dummies" response to this dummy?

Thanks!

If you placing them in the Garmin/GPX folder, I am betting that your Nuvi does not have the ability to populate the GPX file as individual waypoint. UNLESS, you do a FIND/Waypoints and that is how they are showing up. According to Garmin, the NUVI is listed as NOT Geocaching friendly. :D

Steve

Kinda new to geocaching but having a great time. I have been adding GPX files one-by-one while my GPS is hooked up to the computer. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W/255WT unit that is primarily used for travel, but since getting involved with geocaching, I've been exploiting it to death for geocaching. I know at some point I need a 'real' GPS for the field, but for now, this works.

I understand the concept of pocket queries, and have gone through the process of initiating one and getting the zipped file. This is where I'm stuck. What now? I've unzipped the file and have a .gpx file and a -wpts.gpx file.

I looked through the file folders of my Garmin through Windows Explorer and added both to the same folder that holds all my other .gpx files, but they don't show up on the GPS. I'm certain I'm missing a few steps in order for these to show up.

Thanks!

If you placing them in the Garmin/GPX folder, I am betting that your Nuvi does not have the ability to populate the GPX file as individual waypoint. UNLESS, you do a FIND/Waypoints and that is how they are showing up. According to Garmin, the NUVI is listed as NOT Geocaching friendly. :D

Steve

Thanks!

You can drop a pq file on your nuvi, but here's some things to consider:

(disclaimer: almost none of these comments applies to the nuvi 500 series of "geocaching friendly" units)

1-Once a gpx file is put on a nuvi, there are only two ways to remove it, individually delete all 500 waypoints one at a time (they show up as favorites), or factory default the nuvi.

2-All that the nuvi will pull out of the gpx file is the coordinates and name, you won't get full caching information like descriptions or logs

3-Most of the nuvi models max out at 500 waypoints, some support 1000

4-There is no means of "marking" caches as found on the gps.

5-Nuvi's have a short battery life (3 hours), aren't water resistant, have a fragile screen, and aren't really "rugitized" like any of garmin's hand held units.

As for the waypoint file names in a PQ, the file with the smaller name is the main file with coordinates listed on the cache page, descriptions, logs, etc. The file with the -wpts in the name is "additional waypoints" that you see on some caches, these could be parking suggestions, trailhead locations, steps of a multi or puzzle, and things like that.

My advice, if your on a budget, get a unit like an etrex (around 100 new, not a "paperless" model), if you have a few dollars, get one of the paperless models like a dakota, oregon, or one of the newer 62's.

KayakJim,

That link Redwoods posted works great for Nuvi caching.

Before I got a paperless Delorme, that is what I used. Nuvi for paperless, an Explorist with just coords and name.

When I originally set it up, the caches were sent to an SD card. These showed up as "Extras" in the menu. That worked well because the caches weren't mixed up with your regular "Favorites" in internal memory. (Those are a bear to get rid of as Potato Finder mentioned.) It was nice. Route to the site with the Nuvi....read description...finish with the handheld unit.

Are you aware of this..?

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

I discovered this a little over a year ago and I still use it. That is how it gets you there. Then I have a PN-40 plus a VistaHCx. I use GSAK to customize the geocache entries in the Vista... For the waypoint name [%smart=15/%con1] For the waypoint description [%Dif/%ter%hint]. This way my wife and I both have a GPS while in the field.

Are you aware of this..?

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

I discovered this a little over a year ago and I still use it. That is how it gets you there. Then I have a PN-40 plus a VistaHCx. I use GSAK to customize the geocache entries in the Vista... For the waypoint name [%smart=15/%con1] For the waypoint description [%Dif/%ter%hint]. This way my wife and I both have a GPS while in the field.

The real question is, who gets the Vista and who gets the PN-40? :rolleyes:

That macro is awesome. I've been using it since I discovered it, back in the early days of my caching. The jjred version adds different icons for different cache types, and I've been thinking of switching over. But I'm so comfortable with this one, especially with my customizations to the macro, I don't feel like switching.

I use GSAK to input my geocaches to my Nuvi..... 750.

I use a macro that I found in the gsak forums developed for the nuvi, and Garmins POI loader.

I also dump the geocaches from GSAK directly into the Garmin 62S I use.

This seems to work well...because I don't have to create two separate methods.... I just use GSAK.