62S Screaming Deal

1) Why doesn't REI even have them listed. Wierd.

2) Could the OP provide a link?

3) If the sale is indeed a reality, could there be a new model around the corner for the holidays?

UPDATE: Here's the link. Something is indeed wierd about this.

62s @ REI

Theories -

1) It's simply a mistake (but the 62ST is also listed for $340, Hmmm)

2) The 62 series just isn't selling and they are pushing to reduce stock

3) There is a new model just around the corner and, like the Colorado and 300 before, they are trying to reduce stock before the new one hits the market.

Edited by yogazoo

REI Saratoga, Calif ~ 1016 hours. Was at the counter and pulled it up on the iPhone and my eyeballs fell out, Asked the clerk if it was a valid price he pulled it up on his data base, verified it, then opened the drawer pulled one out and it was stickered and bar coded. Took it to the register, did the deed and it sits here beside me. Lastly I shall note that it is in a retail box and not one of the white re-furbished boxes.

REI Saratoga, Calif ~ 1016 hours. Was at the counter and pulled it up on the iPhone and my eyeballs fell out, Asked the clerk if it was a valid price he pulled it up on his data base, verified it, then opened the drawer pulled one out and it was stickered and bar coded. Took it to the register, did the deed and it sits here beside me. Lastly I shall note that it is in a retail box and not one of the white re-furbished boxes.

Darn... I don't really need one, but I just have to go to the store tomorrow to check. Thanks for ruining my budget :D

Welcome to REI Live Help, an REI representative will be with you shortly.

You have been connected to Koryn D.

Koryn D: Hi Rudi! Please wait a moment while I check on your question.

Fred Birdock: http://www.rei.com/product/805907?preferre...r:referralID=NA

Koryn D: Let me see what I can find out for you. One moment.

Koryn D: It looks like we are temporarily sold out of them. More should appear on the website soon though.

Fred Birdock: Will they be at the same price?

Fred Birdock: I would love to get my name on one at the price that was posted earlier. Is there anyway I can do this?

Koryn D: Unfortunately, pricing would be regular price of 399.95.

Fred Birdock: the sale pricing is over?

Koryn D: Correct.

Fred Birdock: this was a one day event?

Koryn D: We just finished up our Fall Sale.

Fred Birdock: Darn, no exceptions?

Koryn D: We do not have any to sell, so unfortunately, there are no rain checks.

Fred Birdock: can I get a rain check for when they come in at the sale price?

Koryn D: Unfortunately, no.

Fred Birdock: News Flash REI has the 62S on sale 10/19/10 to 10/31/10 For $ 277.85

Fred Birdock: I read this on a website. So the sale isn't on till the 31st?

Koryn D: I apologize, but this was not an REI advertisement, and we do not have this item on sale.

Fred Birdock: What about the 62st?

Koryn D: That item is not coming up for me on REI.com. Do you have an REI item number?

Fred Birdock: http://www.rei.com/product/805910

Fred Birdock: Same boat?

Koryn D: Correct.

Fred Birdock: nuts

Fred Birdock: snooze you loose.

Koryn D: Is there anything else I can do for you?

Fred Birdock: Do you know if there is going to be another sale?

Koryn D: Not at this time.

Fred Birdock: Thanks for your time

I called the closest REI this morning and they have the 62s for $277. I'll be going this afternoon to get 4 of them for work!

:D So I called back after the last post to try and purchase them. When I called the REI store in Missoula earlier the word was $277 based on a few sales the representative made yestarday afternoon. When he actually went to scan it it was back to $399. SUN OF A BEACH!!

Well humbolt, consider yourself struck by lightning! The rest of us clowns will have to wait until November. :P

Edited by yogazoo

I called REI online ordering and had her look at the price history. She said it was sold yesterday for both $277 AND $399 at various stores. Her best guess was that it was one of those rare gremlins after all.

She mentioned that REI's Winter Sale will start on 11/19 and run to 11/29. This is going to be a mess if the word gets out and people supress buying one of those units for a whole month in anticipation. REI will sell out in a heartbeat on the 19th.

Let's keep this information from getting out on the internets! :D

Edited by yogazoo

I called the closest REI this morning and they have the 62s for $277. I'll be going this afternoon to get 4 of them for work!

:D So I called back after the last post to try and purchase them. When I called the REI store in Missoula earlier the word was $277 based on a few sales the representative made yestarday afternoon. When he actually went to scan it it was back to $399. SUN OF A BEACH!!

Well humbolt, consider yourself struck by lightning! The rest of us clowns will have to wait until November. :P

DAAAAANG:

like we used to say down on the farm, some days you step in it, some days you don't!!!

Uh, I take back what I said about Black Friday. It appears that this was just a mistake on REI's part.

What information do you have that makes you think it won't go on sale at the end of November? I'm not disagreeing or being a contrarian, I'd just love to know what draws you to that conclusion.