Dumb Question: Paint Markers?

d+n.s

The ones I've seen claim to work on plastic, but are they appropriate for a cache?

We have an idea for a GENIUS container/location combo but it requires some pretty specific artwork. It seems easiest to pull off with a paint marker, but I don't want to waste a bunch of time on something that will only last 6 months.

Anyway, any info relating between these things and caches would be appreciated.

The ones I've seen claim to work on plastic, but are they appropriate for a cache?
It would depend on the material you're painting it onto. On an ammo can, it should last as long as any other enamel paint (just like spray-painted stencils), for many years. But if it's a soft plastic like a PVC container, the paint may flake or scratch off easily. For a fancy design, you might try adding a couple of coats of a clear matte finish.

When you say "paint marker" I certainly hope you mean painting the cache container and not anything else.

Valspar makes a plastic primer that is excellent. Give your container a coat of the Valspar plastic primer, then use any paint you like. I've had caches out for 5 years that look as good as the day I placed them.

So, all good answers.

I guess I'm going to need to use an ammo box. That stinks because I'm not sure this is a great spot for an ammo box, but it might work.

The cache itself won't be visible to the naked eye at GZ but once you find it I'd like it to be decorated in a a way that suits the area

So, all good answers.

I guess I'm going to need to use an ammo box. That stinks because I'm not sure this is a great spot for an ammo box, but it might work.

The cache itself won't be visible to the naked eye at GZ but once you find it I'd like it to be decorated in a a way that suits the area

There is a geocacher a bit to the south of me that mostly hides ammo cans and obviously spends quite a bit of time painting them. Many are quite elaborate with quite a bit of detail.

Try camo duct tape on the lock n locks. It works pretty well.
Yes. I've been testing gluing cloth camo tape on the slick plastic, painting it, and sealing it with polyurethane (so it doesn't fray too quickly). I've had some luck with epoxy for plastics, to make a surface for painting. I also have car undercoating and a can of "liquid duct tape", both a thick rubber "paint" which can be painted when it eventually cures.

Wow, all good suggestions. I have my research cut out for me.

For the curious there is a spot near my house with some amazing and elaborate graffiti in a city park. Its big, noticable, pretty impressive and is on something that otherwise would have been an ayesore in an otherwise nice park. I'm guessing it was commissioned, but I'll have to learn more about its origins.

It also happens to be a place where you could do a pretty good hide, so I'de like to decorate a chache with a graffiti style font/art on the outside. the cache won't be visible at GZ so being shiny won't matter one way or another, but I do want something cheap so I can do a few at a time (for maintenance purposes I like to have a backup cache ready to roll)

I think I'll try to do the Valspar first. I've only ever used Krylon Fusion for my caches (not that I've been doing it for very long) but I think I can handle the steps to do a real primer.

If I have issues with that a sealant doesn't seem innapropriate for the location.