Ski-o-Caching?

Yshf

Is this a real thing? I was looking for caches that I may have not known about after my vacation to colorado and i saw one that said it was a ski-o-cache. Could i make a ski-o-cache? Is it a known thing, or just something this guy made up?

I have never heared of that, but it is probably a cache on a ski hill. My first cache is one like that.

GC1MR43 It's archived now.

First... it's not archived. It is disabled until the CO can get back to it.

There are also several caches on Copper Mountain.

Sorry, I just noticed that it hadn't been found in a while.

It looks like the Ski-o-cache is at Arapahoe Basin. I skied there when it was called A-Basin every day for about 5 weeks one winter. If you're planning on skiing there be prepared for high altitude. It's 10,870' at the *bottom* of the resort and goes up from there to over 13,000'. I skied there in May once with about 9" of fresh powder.

"Ski-o" is a form of orienteering (short for "ski orienteering"), and I'm going to guess the cache owner is an orienteer (or at least familiar with the term) and used this wording to reference finding the point (cache instead of orienteering control) on skis.

For anyone interested: Actual Ski-O is done on XC skis (not downhill), and is one of four recognized disciplines in international competitive orienteering, with national meets and a world championship each year. My former club holds an annual Ski-O festival in the Sierras (California) every winter.

Edited by hydnsek

"Ski-o" is a form of orienteering (short for "ski orienteering"), and I'm going to guess the cache owner is an orienteer (or at least familiar with the term) and used this wording to reference finding the point (cache instead of orienteering control) on skis.

For anyone interested: Actual Ski-O is done on XC skis (not downhill), and is one of four recognized disciplines in international competitive orienteering, with national meets and a world championship each year. My former club holds an annual Ski-O festival in the Sierras (California) every winter.

That's interesting. I just use it because it rhymes. Now I wonder if I've confused anyone who I've invited skiocaching.

I have been using that term for a few years -- I figured it was just a funny way of combining the names of two of my favorite sports. I'm not sure what the deal is outside Colorado, but in my state, almost all -- if not all -- ski resorts are on National Forest land, where geocaching is fine. Some of my more memorable caching experiences, actually, have been in finding "ski-o-caches."

My wife and I ski that area (Summit County) every year. I found a few at Loveland, Breck and Copper last time we were out. It is quite a challenge as if you get just a few feet downhill from GZ you might have to go all the way to the bottom, ride the lift back up and attempt it again. I am sure I get some funny looks as I ski with my poles in one hand while I follow the arrow on my GPSr.

My wife and I ski that area (Summit County) every year. I found a few at Loveland, Breck and Copper last time we were out. It is quite a challenge as if you get just a few feet downhill from GZ you might have to go all the way to the bottom, ride the lift back up and attempt it again.

I can think of a lot of worse things to do. On the other hand, I've also hiked to the to the top of a ski resort after the lifts closed for the season. A friend of mine and I did it in Jackson Hole and our figure eights could be seen for a week after we skied down. There is a local ski resort that has several caches on it. They're found during the summer and winter. It's not National forest land, but I think some of it is part of a state forest. I have no idea if/how permission was granted for the caches and I've actually only found two of them.

That's interesting. I just use it because it rhymes. Now I wonder if I've confused anyone who I've invited skiocaching.

You may be right. Geo, ski-o. I was just making the association I knew, cos many orienteers also geocache.