Eliminate Nano Cache Log Removal Madness with this helpful tip.

snoboardz

I have placed a few nano caches in my town and I occasionally get messages letting me know just how difficult it was to remove the log sheet from inside the nano container. I'm sure many have already discovered this little trick but if not it's quite handy and works very well while eliminating the need for any type of tool to aid in the removal of the log sheet. Holding the nano container in between your thumb and first finger remove the lid and then with a concentrated, well placed puff of air from between your lips directly into the center of the log sheet. If you get it right the log sheet will pop up out of the center of the container just like a Chinese yo-yo. I know this is not the most amazing thing to share, but I figured if it helped just one person with removing one of those pesky little log sheets from a nano cache than it was worth my time to post. Happy Geocaching.

I can get the little guys out but getting them back in is a huge pain. Especially when people decided to add another slip to the cache because the log is full (and usually has been full for months).

And I always seem to find them as it's cold and I can't feel my finger tips and am trying to not lose the bits and pieces of the cache in the oblivious and keep the log from blowing away.

I have placed a few nano caches in my town and I occasionally get messages letting me know just how difficult it was to remove the log sheet from inside the nano container. I'm sure many have already discovered this little trick but if not it's quite handy and works very well while eliminating the need for any type of tool to aid in the removal of the log sheet. Holding the nano container in between your thumb and first finger remove the lid and then with a concentrated, well placed puff of air from between your lips directly into the center of the log sheet. If you get it right the log sheet will pop up out of the center of the container just like a Chinese yo-yo. I know this is not the most amazing thing to share, but I figured if it helped just one person with removing one of those pesky little log sheets from a nano cache than it was worth my time to post. Happy Geocaching.

Here is another method:

8c30a5ac-892e-4ba2-9e93-621eb45143cd.jpg

This is amazing! I can't believe it. Not the nano log removal method, but that some guy who joined in 2002 has placed a few nano's! :D

Just kidding. Sounds like it would work, assuming the log isn't overly soggy.

And you'll still have more caches in your PQs than any one person can find in a lifetime. :P

Oh, darn, my last PQ was nearly a 1,000. I must be dead and didn't notice.

I'm thinking you might have missed the "s" in PQs, indicating plural? :D

The PQs I have from the last week have well over 10,000 caches.

None are micros, others or unknown.

If you uncheck the boxes labelled "Other" and "Uknown", that method works great.

And you'll still have more caches in your PQs than any one person can find in a lifetime. :D

unfortunately that would also get rid of some really cool hides which are listed as "other" and aren't nanos.

If you uncheck the boxes labelled "Other" and "Unknown", that method works great.

And you'll still have more caches in your PQs than any one person can find in a lifetime. :D

unfortunately that would also get rid of some really cool hides which are listed as "other" and aren't nanos.

Yup. It would. Kinda sux, huh? But on the bright side, you'd still be left with more hides than you could possibly find in your lifetime. Seems like a good trade off to me. If, (through the judicious use of PQs), I never know about that one kewl hide out of 8 gazillion crappy ones, I won't miss it. Especially if I'm going from one kewl cache to another, finding just those that are left in my PQs.

Yup. It would. Kinda sux, huh? But on the bright side, you'd still be left with more hides than you could possibly find in your lifetime. Seems like a good trade off to me.

not to me, since i don't care about the numbers.

If, (through the judicious use of PQs), I never know about that one kewl hide out of 8 gazillion crappy ones, I won't miss it. Especially if I'm going from one kewl cache to another, finding just those that are left in my PQs.

ah, so everything small to large is kewl, and all micros and nanos are crappy? interesting.... :D

Edited by dfx

At the risk of being the voice of reason in this spo=iroted debate, I like the variety. I filter on active traditionals, and let them all come to me. I seldom even look at the listing of the size until I have looked for a little while. Wouldnt it be boring if there were only one kind (or size) of hide.

Yup. It would. Kinda sux, huh? But on the bright side, you'd still be left with more hides than you could possibly find in your lifetime. Seems like a good trade off to me.

not to me, since i don't care about the numbers.

Uh... OK. Not quite seeing the connection between my suggestion, which would eliminate crappy micros in PQs, and your rebutal.

A little help? :huh:

If, (through the judicious use of PQs), I never know about that one kewl hide out of 8 gazillion crappy ones, I won't miss it. Especially if I'm going from one kewl cache to another, finding just those that are left in my PQs.

ah, so everything small to large is kewl, and all micros and nanos are crappy? interesting.... :yikes:

Didn't you just quote me as saying there was at least one kewl micro/other/unknown?

Wouldn't the existance of one dictate that your use of the word "everything" is inaccurate?

A little more help? :laughing:

I hear you don't need to sign the log.

I've recently discovered you don't even need to open the container!

Correction, you just have to look at something you think is the cache!

On multies you just have to get to the first stage.

This is all amusing and makes me giggle, but I wonder if any newbies on the forums are taking you all seriously... Just a thought.

or you get a picture of your picture at the first stage taken.

Edited by dfx

This is all amusing and makes me giggle, but I wonder if any newbies on the forums are taking you all seriously... Just a thought.

Granted we are being sarcastic, but you realize this is simply repeating what is often posted as a legitimate practice. Disagree with it and you're labeled a puritan.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Granted we are being sarcastic, but you realize this is simply repeating what is often posted as a legitimate practice. Disagree with it and you're labeled a puritan.

OK, I'll bring us back on topic. I'd like to inform the OP how to eliminate Nano Cache incorrect cache page size listing madness with this helpful tip: Nano's are micros. :yikes:

OK, I'll bring us back on topic. I'd like to inform the OP how to eliminate Nano Cache incorrect cache page size listing madness with this helpful tip: Nano's are micros. :huh:
Like many other posters, you got the topic of the thread wrong.

Can't find them to blow on them if I don't know their nano's because they're all (10, I believe) listed as "other". :yikes:

Sounds like it didn't work on our first field test. Can't wait to see more reports.

Here is another method:

unknown is also code for nano.

Another tip for nano hiders. Permanently attach a small stick or wire to the head of the log book that is slightly wider than the log. This not only assists in removal but also in rerolling the log.

I've seen this on the nanos in my area and it works REALLY well. The log sheets are very tidy and easy to remove/replace!

Nanos are cute.

I can get the little guys out but getting them back in is a huge pain. Especially when people decided to add another slip to the cache because the log is full (and usually has been full for months).

And I always seem to find them as it's cold and I can't feel my finger tips and am trying to not lose the bits and pieces of the cache in the oblivious and keep the log from blowing away.

Contryguy showed me his trick for getting them back in the container. You take a very small cotter key and epoxy it inside an electrical wire connector. Put the end of paper in the slit and wind it up. I carry a swiss army type knife and use the corkscrew to get the logs out.

Here is another method:

unknown is also code for nano.

:D Not always! I listed the larger of the two containers as 'Unknown'...

Filmcan2.jpg

By way of explanation, we have a local 'toss a film can out the window every 528 feet and call it a cache' hider who swore that it was impossible to hide anything other than film cans in a local park. The park rules restricted caches to within 20 feet of the trail. In my description of the cache, I said I couldn't decide on a container, so I followed what surprisingly seems to be becoming the norm here and used one of those small black containers with a gray lid. :anitongue:

I placed it to get his goat, but he never went out and found it. Apparently hiding is all he wants to do, to the extent that some of his 'caches' have been recycled three times (without ever having received any maintenance, since he doesn't do that, either).