Travel Bug Tips....

Smokehouse

I have just heard about geocaching and as soon as I am able, I am going to get a GPS and join in the fun.

I have noticed a lot about the Travel Bugs and the low rate of actual movement or cooperation.

One thing that may work is to have a small card that is laminated, with very easy to understand instructions on what exactly is supposed to happen. Make it an honor system, that you dont move the travel bug unless you intend to move it within the week.

It seems to me, after a day of reading the message forums etc... that this is a very nice group of people and I think we can count on the honor system to a certain extent. One guy responded that he hadn't dropped off the TB yet because he doesn't live or breathe this game, which is fine, but if you know thats the case, don't take something out of a cache if you have no real intention of moving it along, remember, someone went to the trouble of buying a tag, entering the information and supplying the trinket so be fair and move it along if you are willing, if not then just log your name and move on to the next one.

Just a suggestion from a one day old newbie!

KGB

guy.gif

[This message was edited by The KGB on March 21, 2002 at 08:49 PM.]

Welcome to the fun game of geocaching, and the fun if not sometimes frustrating world of travel bugs. If you look down this thread to the Mar. 1 entries, TTracker has supplied a template for bugs. I have started adding these to my bugs and am going to add them to any I find if the owner wants me to.

Unfortunately, the Superfriends all have been sitting in people's hands for quite some time. Cjwheeler has had Aquaman for 58 days. Fenster89 has had Superman for 64 days.

Batman has been in Iva-Kay Each-Bay for 40 days, so I'm waiting for a cacher to pick him up so I can snail-mail his tag. Koolkat just deposited Wonder Woman in Up Marsh Creek yesterday. Nev the Deranged has had Illuvian for 67 days (he keeps promising to place him - really he does).

Oldcrow deposited Geoffrey in Brick Plant Cache 8 days ago, but the cache may have been plundered. The jury is still out.

Lastly, Scooby and Shaggy were picked up and logged yesterday by Swamp Thing.

So all in all - I know where everyone is, but I'd prefer they spend more time caching than in someone's glove compartment. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Unfortunately, the Superfriends all have been sitting in people's hands for quite some time. Cjwheeler has had Aquaman for 58 days. Fenster89 has had Superman for 64 days.

Batman has been in Iva-Kay Each-Bay for 40 days, so I'm waiting for a cacher to pick him up so I can snail-mail his tag. Koolkat just deposited Wonder Woman in Up Marsh Creek yesterday. Nev the Deranged has had Illuvian for 67 days (he keeps promising to place him - really he does).

Oldcrow deposited Geoffrey in Brick Plant Cache 8 days ago, but the cache may have been plundered. The jury is still out.

Lastly, Scooby and Shaggy were picked up and logged yesterday by Swamp Thing.

So all in all - I know where everyone is, but I'd prefer they spend more time caching than in someone's glove compartment. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Don't forget this classic:

Dad: Jimmy, what do you want from the cache?

Jimmy: Dat!

Dad: That is a travel bug, we have to leave it.

Jimmy: Whaaaaa!

Dad: Here you go.

Next cache

Dad: Jimmy, we have to put the travel bug here.

Jimmy: Whaaaa!

Next cache

Dad: Jimmy, we have to put the travel bug here.

Jimmy: All gone!

Dad: All gone where?

Jimmy: Window!

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Maybe it's just me, but does that make any sense to anyone?

I don't get it. Maybe its just me.

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

Man,

I just set three TB's loose in the wild. icon_frown.gif

Will I ever see them again? Some have not been picked up, some are in cacher's hands. I guess all I can do is hope.

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Maybe it's just me, but does that make any sense to anyone?

I don't get it. Maybe its just me.

_The KGB_

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=46113

Man,

I just set three TB's loose in the wild. icon_frown.gif

Will I ever see them again? Some have not been picked up, some are in cacher's hands. I guess all I can do is hope.

Bluespreacher

Hello all

My family and I will be taking a vacation in a few months, driving from California to Missouri, and we plan on doing some caching along the way. My husband would like to place a bug somewhere along the way with the hopes of it eventually being returned to our area of California.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, advice, etc., on the best way to do this??

Thanks!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hello all

My family and I will be taking a vacation in a few months, driving from California to Missouri, and we plan on doing some caching along the way. My husband would like to place a bug somewhere along the way with the hopes of it eventually being returned to our area of California.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, advice, etc., on the best way to do this??

Thanks!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bluespreacher:

I just set three TB's loose in the wild.

I've sent out eighteen. Tracking on: http://www.pathetique.com/locate/blscearce-bugs.html.

Five are (presumably) in caches, average in-this-cache time of about two weeks. Eight are in cachers' hands, and again have an average age of about two weeks (but the distribution is very uneven -- some are a few days old, some are several weeks old). And five are MIA. A couple of the MIAs vanished almost at once -- they were placed into a cache, and the next logged seekers said that they weren't there.

I haven't done the calculations, but my gut feeling is that each Bug has about a 10% chance of evaporating every time it moves. A cache can usually survive a thoughtless visitor, someone who takes something and leaves junk or nothing; a Travel Bug can't.