Advice on Garmin eTrex H

I am looking to buy a inexpensive Gps and i spotted the Garmin eTrex H. Just a question for anyone that knows. How do you enter the coords. if there are only 5 buttons on the gps and not a touh screen. I know silly question right. Well can someone help m out.

thankyou!

Thankyou guys for your input so far. I will look into the other gps's that you suggest. But I still am leaning towards this gps because i am just starting out. I can get this gps for $85 and am willing to by the cord later if i want it. Is the coordinates easy to put in by hand? that was may many question since i have no idea on how to put them in.

Edited by littleprincess2007

Two possible ways, first is to press buttons until your fingers tire, or get the cable (usb preferred but serial with an adapter works) and load them in a group with a program like GSAK or EasyGPS, or the loc file right from the cache page. These programs also let you easily filter caches when you get a bunch downloaded.

Two possible ways, first is to press buttons until your fingers tire, or get the cable (usb preferred but serial with an adapter works) and load them in a group with a program like GSAK or EasyGPS, or the loc file right from the cache page. These programs also let you easily filter caches when you get a bunch downloaded.

Just simply for the ease of use of transferring coords onto the device, I would step up a level and get the eTrex Legend H instead. Once you've factored in buying the serial cable and getting a working USB / Serial adaptor, you are paying more or less the same as an eTrex H and you have proper USB connection, some (limited) geocaching specific functionality and overall a better unit.

Same comments about bulk loading / manual keying apply to the Legend - no touch screen, though you do get a "joystick" type device which makes navigation slightly easier than on the plain old yellow brick.

Alternatively (!), if you are really on a budget then a cheap smartphone on PAYG using free software such as TrekBuddy (which requires no data contract etc etc) would be equally as cheap as an eTrex (e.g. Nokia Nuron / 5230 - selling in the UK for £70).

Matt (cheap smartphone evangelist!)

ive found that for the cost of the cable for the Etrex H to connect to a PC, plus shipping costs, its better to just upgrade to the Legend, or the Venture HC (such as I have) which come with the USB cable (no serial to usb adapters). The Venture HC is color, and has a joystick to enter coordinates.

First and foremost, don't hinge solely on 'inexpensive' as a reason for purchase. You will not be happy in the long run. Concentrate more on 'midrange' pricing, and you will be much happier with what you have.

You get what you pay for, ya know.

Previous poster recommended HC and we definitely agree.

We spent a year using an old, handload only GPSr. It was OK but very bulky loading and the "fat-finger syndrome" showed only occasionally -- but when it did, what a goat rodeo it created.

Went to a Delorme PN-40 and have been nothing but smiles since. Even when fixing was required once.

The "boss" then wanted a GPSr of her own, and got the Venture HC on sale. Works differently from the PN-40 but just as easy. Uploading is a breeze.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee