garmin chirp -uk

smstext

I agree completely, but actually... having read a bit more about the technical details, I now think it *is* possible to pick up and decode the signals using something like an iPhone, assuming someone writes an app for it. In fact Garmin may well have done the right thing by using an open standard, which other people can connect into, rather than something of their own invention which they couldn't.

Hmmm...I'm not totally sure if that would actually be possible. Would you not need an 'ANT+' receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a chirp, same as you'd need a Bluetooth/Wifi receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a Bluetooth/Wifi device? Therefore unless other manufacturers start placing ANT+ receivers in their devices it's pretty much just Garmin devices that will be able to chirp... :rolleyes:

Without wanting to get drawn into an argument I have to say that I find the negativity towards the chirp disappointing.

If you want to find a scuba cache you have to train to dive, get the necessary medicals etc and then buy/hire the kit to do it and pay for any licences.

Same with climbing.

Same with absailing.

Same with boating.

Same with kayaking.

Same with caving.

Same with Wherigo.

You want to find a chirp and you don't have the kit you phone a friend and plan a pleasant joint caching trip with friends. Or you stick it on your iggy list.

Yes it's commercial, but it's hardly as restrictive as any of the above. Enjoy it or don't, but complaining on here ain't gonna change the fact it exists!!

My primary issue with it is that it is commercially restrictive. If I want to scuba, climb, abseil, kayak, whatever, I can do so with equipment supplied by whichever supplier I choose. Or I could cobble something together if I wanted.

As things stand right now if I want to find a chirp cache I have to use a Garmin device, and a higher end Garmin device at that. While I could attempt an abseil cache using a rope tied around a hook and looped under one leg if I felt brave/stupid enough, or attempt a scuba cache based on a face mask and an extended snorkel I cobbled together, or whatever, I don't (currently) have that option with chirp.

I must admit having read dakar4x4's post about possible uses and the standard possibly being an open one my stance has shifted from being hostile to it to seeing it as a somewhat pointless gimmick. Right now it still seems very much like a commercially restricted solution that's desperately looking for a problem. But perhaps that's just me.

I can see that if a chirp were used in an inventive way it could make for an interesting twist in a cache. It's just that most of the uses I've seen suggested so far seem to turn what might be an inclusive, easy-to-solve cache into the kind of thing that requires an expensive piece of technology to unlock without offering any meaningful benefit to anyone except Garmin.

If the chirp technology is an open standard so that other individuals or companies are able to create their own chirp-enabled devices (regardless of whether any actually do or not) I would agree with you entirely, and accept that my views on whether chirp caches are good or bad are no different to the views of others regarding whether film pots are good or bad, or any of the other things that get discussed here.

On a more positive note, I'd be curious to hear ideas that would use a chirp in a way that would make a cache more interesting to solve. For what it's worth, I'm willing to be convinced :rolleyes:

Even if the price is reduced to (say) £10 (chirpy cheap), or £20 for two (chirpy chirpy cheap cheap)

Moderator! Lifetime ban for this awful joke, please! :D

Sorry sTeamTraen

I'm laughing too much at the awful joke.

:rolleyes::anitongue::anitongue::anicute::D:D:D

BTW, I may consider sending a little gift to the 1st person in the UK to set one and call it Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Edited by geohatter
Even if the price is reduced to (say) £10 (chirpy cheap), or £20 for two (chirpy chirpy cheap cheap)

Sorry sTeamTraen

BTW, I may consider sending a little gift to the 1st person in the UK to set one and call it Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Despite my initial hostility to the chirp I'm almost tempted to take one back from the US with me and set such a cache just to find out what the gift is, except it would probably be a chirp :D

Sorry sTeamTraen

I would draw your attention to a post I put in the GAGB forum........... If such a cache is submitted I may resort to 'flipping' my Volunteer coin to decide how to deal with it.....

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Hmmm...I'm not totally sure if that would actually be possible. Would you not need an 'ANT+' receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a chirp, same as you'd need a Bluetooth/Wifi receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a Bluetooth/Wifi device? Therefore unless other manufacturers start placing ANT+ receivers in their devices it's pretty much just Garmin devices that will be able to chirp... :rolleyes:

You're quite right, I hadn't read far enough.

Still, the fact remains that you *can* get such a thing to plug into the iPhone (though they seem to be expensive!) and that other GPS manufacturers *could* build the capability into their devices. So, contrary to my cynical first reaction, it's not an evil attempt by Garmin to steer geocaching in a way which locks out other manufacturers.

Still, the fact remains that you *can* get such a thing to plug into the iPhone (though they seem to be expensive!) and that other GPS manufacturers *could* build the capability into their devices. So, contrary to my cynical first reaction, it's not an evil attempt by Garmin to steer geocaching in a way which locks out other manufacturers.

My understanding is that Garmin owns the company which owns the ANT technology patents.

for those of you who may be mildly excited by the chirp, they are on order where i work and will let you all know when they land in leicester.... i for one cant wait to have a mess around with one.

just been informed that they will be here Wednesday 3rd November so if any one is interested ring Paul on 0116 2449853 and they will be £19.99 free delivery.

Edited by paulandnat

where did you get yours from america?

so wheres the first chirp cache going to be then?

Ours came from REI - but they've taken a couple of weeks to get here. $20 postage - but no import duty to pay in the end :laughing:

As for where the first chirp cache is going to be.... well, that'll be down to the reviewers. But other than the two in the Bristol area, I know of at least one other - in South Wales.

More of an attempt to rebuff a perceived move "onto their turf" by the mobile phone manufacturers. Why buy that Oregon when you can do the same with your old etrex and your phone - more possibly given that the phone is online all the time and the GPS on them is getting better with every update....

There is no earthly reason for me to ever change from my 60csx now. More & more its getting used as a backup to the phone when caching or only brought out for its "proper" role as a backup to my maps whilst out & about trekking.

I can't see that I'll ever buy a dedicated GPS unit again quite frankly...

C

I agree completely, but actually... having read a bit more about the technical details, I now think it *is* possible to pick up and decode the signals using something like an iPhone, assuming someone writes an app for it. In fact Garmin may well have done the right thing by using an open standard, which other people can connect into, rather than something of their own invention which they couldn't.

Hmmm...I'm not totally sure if that would actually be possible. Would you not need an 'ANT+' receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a chirp, same as you'd need a Bluetooth/Wifi receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a Bluetooth/Wifi device? Therefore unless other manufacturers start placing ANT+ receivers in their devices it's pretty much just Garmin devices that will be able to chirp... :unsure:

Not quite ...

Don't forget the possibility of a plug in for the iphone - a physical plug in that is!

Interesting discussion on this very subject on this weeks Podcacher Podcast (around the 20 minute mark)

and the suggestion is it may well be possible for iphone owners, but as always, not without extra expenditure

http://www.wahoofitness.com/

I have a sense this will be a high days and holidays type caching, a a road that has indeed been trodden before by our dear old friend Wherigo.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

More of an attempt to rebuff a perceived move "onto their turf" by the mobile phone manufacturers. Why buy that Oregon when you can do the same with your old etrex and your phone - more possibly given that the phone is online all the time and the GPS on them is getting better with every update....

There is no earthly reason for me to ever change from my 60csx now. More & more its getting used as a backup to the phone when caching or only brought out for its "proper" role as a backup to my maps whilst out & about trekking.

I can't see that I'll ever buy a dedicated GPS unit again quite frankly...

C

I like being able to use a device that's almost indestructible (which my smartphone most definitely isn't) so when my 60CSx finally bites the dust I'll most likely replace it with something.

But with the ease of writing software to do paperless caching, the ease of carrying a single piece of paper to note down clues and multicache stages in the field where necessary, a lot of the new features of the Oregon and 62 series don't actually add a whole lot of value to my caching. To be honest Garmin's crackpot idea that I'm going to mount a £400 62st to my bike handlebars using cable ties when the 60 series gets a nice solid mount that snaps into place and I know isn't going to rotate or fall off, does little to persuade me to upgrade. Wanting me to pay £20 for a piece of plastic and four cable ties just adds insult to injury there.

Maybe whatever replaces the 62 will be my next purchase as/when my 60 dies. Perhaps Garmin will have evolved even further and will want me to pay £50 for a custom piece of string to tie it to my handlebars by then.

Hmmm...I'm not totally sure if that would actually be possible. Would you not need an 'ANT+' receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a chirp, same as you'd need a Bluetooth/Wifi receiver on the iPhone/Android to communicate with a Bluetooth/Wifi device? Therefore unless other manufacturers start placing ANT+ receivers in their devices it's pretty much just Garmin devices that will be able to chirp... :unsure:

Apparently, many Android phones do have ANT+

If you have a Texas Instruments WiLink™ chip in your Android phone (As the G1 and Motorola Droid X do amongst others - haven't found out which yet), supposedly it's a matter of time before someone writes apps....

the chirps have landed in the uk from an authorized seller at last. no more waiting from European countries.

anybody want one?

Garmin UK have had them for sale on their own site for a couple of weeks now - at £19.99.

So it's still cheaper to buy them from the US at $19.99 and pay the shipping :laughing:

just had a quick exchange rate check and it works out at £12.85 from US plus shipping, how much is that?

We got our first two from REI. Shipping was $20, and there was no duty to pay when they arrived.

So even if you only buy two it still works out cheaper than buying two in the UK - even cheaper if they charge postage....

So..... you'd have to be able to buy them for £18.90 each for two, or £16.80 for three - with no postage - to make it worthwhile buying them home grown.

p.s. I've got no affiliation with REI.

p.p.s. But I bought an REI 4 season sleeping bag about 20 years ago - and it's still the best bag I've ever slept in over winter - if a little heavy by modern standards....

. It would be a great shame if geocaching trended more and more towards ways of lining Garmin's pockets and less and less towards ways of getting more people into the great outdoors even if all they can afford is a basic Geko or Etrex.

spot on this is an outdoor fun activity that gets you to places on your door step and more that you wouldnt have had the chance or even a clue was there,,i love this geocaching hunting and i only have an old Garmin and feel that good anoth for me over the summer my other half step daughter and Me have found some great places THANK YOU Geocache.com

. It would be a great shame if geocaching trended more and more towards ways of lining Garmin's pockets and less and less towards ways of getting more people into the great outdoors even if all they can afford is a basic Geko or Etrex.

spot on this is an outdoor fun activity that gets you to places on your door step and more that you wouldnt have had the chance or even a clue was there,,i love this geocaching hunting and i only have an old Garmin and feel that good anoth for me over the summer my other half step daughter and Me have found some great places THANK YOU Geocache.com

But geocaching.com is just as much a commercial, profit orientated company as Garmin. By voluntarily listing your caches on GC you are indirectly providing them with a profit just as buying chirps lines Garmin's pockets. I'm not arguing it's a bad thing at all, GC is a great site and I venture most people who use it agree it's excellent value for money but let's not kid ourselves it's a charity. Geocaching may have started as a hobby supported by a group of enthusiasts but it very quickly changed into the business opportunity it is today.

Let's not criticise Garmin for also wanting to make a profit out of it.

Edited by Neath Worthies

Where are these UK Chirps available from btw? Just curious as I've ordered from the US just last week :D

Seems you can get them direct from Garmin

But i think you did the right thing getting them from the US, even with postage they work out cheaper than buying them in the UK.

Ahh.. thanks for that... I'd been checking all the usual suspects, Handtec, Pentagon etc... never thought to try Garmin themselves! :D

The only worrying thing with the US order is the import/taxes/handling charges rip off things.

ENJ

But geocaching.com is just as much a commercial, profit orientated company as Garmin. By voluntarily listing your caches on GC you are indirectly providing them with a profit just as buying chirps lines Garmin's pockets. I'm not arguing it's a bad thing at all, GC is a great site and I venture most people who use it agree it's excellent value for money but let's not kid ourselves it's a charity. Geocaching may have started as a hobby supported by a group of enthusiasts but it very quickly changed into the business opportunity it is today.

Let's not criticise Garmin for also wanting to make a profit out of it.

I'm not criticising Garmin for it - they are a commercial company just like any other.

My issue is that geocaching (at least on GC.com) is a commercial venture, but it is possible to play the game without paying a penny to Groundspeak. So many phones come with GPS built in, and a basic GPS unit is so cheap, that it's possible to get started with geocaching on a very low budget. The majority of caches don't need any special equipment to find them and so for an outlay of less than £50 the average person can get started.

The chirp immediately requires someone to have specific equipment but in a monopolistic way. If you want to do a 5/5 cache that requires scuba gear, climbing gear, whatever, you can either buy whichever brand of gear takes your fancy, or you can attempt it without the gear. A chirp cache requires a Garmin unit to find it, and a fairly high end Garmin unit at that.

In isolation it's easy enough to shrug it off and say that there is no inherent right to be able to find every cache and all that, my concern is more that if we allow too many brand-specific products to be out there in the wild then the question has to be asked where it ends. Will we end up in a situation where numerous caches have their own brand-specific requirements, and if so why are caches where an entrance fee must be paid so heavily frowned upon? Why is it unacceptable for a cache to be hidden inside a private garden with a £15 entry fee yet perfectly acceptable for a cache to be hidden with a device that requires a £200 Garmin GPS to find it?

Where are these UK Chirps available from btw? Just curious as I've ordered from the US just last week :D

Seems you can get them direct from Garmin

But i think you did the right thing getting them from the US, even with postage they work out cheaper than buying them in the UK.

Ahh.. thanks for that... I'd been checking all the usual suspects, Handtec, Pentagon etc... never thought to try Garmin themselves! :D

The only worrying thing with the US order is the import/taxes/handling charges rip off things.

ENJ

just had a quick exchange rate check and it works out at £12.85 from US plus shipping, how much is that?

We got our first two from REI. Shipping was $20, and there was no duty to pay when they arrived.

So even if you only buy two it still works out cheaper than buying two in the UK - even cheaper if they charge postage....

So..... you'd have to be able to buy them for £18.90 each for two, or £16.80 for three - with no postage - to make it worthwhile buying them home grown.

...... and if so why are caches where an entrance fee must be paid so heavily frowned upon? Why is it unacceptable for a cache to be hidden inside a private garden with a £15 entry fee yet perfectly acceptable for a cache to be hidden with a device that requires a £200 Garmin GPS to find it?

Are they frowned upon? They never used to be. There's even an attribute for Access or Parking Fee

What a crazy rip off country we live in, that it's possible for an individual, when buying just 2 units, to get a better price by shipping them over from the states personally than they can by buying from the direct outlet of the company that makes them.

And they will get more expensive from Jan 1st when VAT goes up to 20%.