6th International Math Trade

ECplus3

2 no-shows again this year (Gelugon and Theotokos

Oh dear there goes my percentage traded... :(

You and me both...I had several coins from their lists in mine...and I opted to not make a long wish list this time (just did not have the time). Oh well...I ended up with 50%. Hopefully, I will have more time to devote to the next trade. Thx for the work!

All mine look good...got some great coins...glad to see a certain gold coin ended up where it needed to go!

24% puts me near the bottom of the pile, but as I checked some other lists, I see older coins did not trade as well as most of the newer coins, and I put a lot of older coins on my list...not only to make some trades, but to make them available to people like myself, that didn't collect back "in the day!"

That being said, if anyone wanted something I had listed that didn't trade, e-mail me and we'll work on a trade.

thanks for another great trading event!

ILYK
Edited by drneal

All mine look good...got some great coins...glad to see a certain gold coin ended up where it needed to go!

Me too! I actually received one of my top seeking coins this year for a change. The other one at least made it to Canada, but overshot me and wound up in Ontario. Hmm... perhaps another road trip this summer to haggle in person. :)

Edited by E&Cplus3

Considering I was rushed and some of my wanted coins weren't in the end traded, I did pretty well. I will be happy to see the incoming mail in the next few weeks...I love trips to the mailbox! lol!

Thanks E&CPlus3 for hosting again this year - as per usual, you do a great job! Looking forward to next year!

Me too! I actually received one of my top seeking coins this year for a change. The other one at least made it to Canada, but overshot me and wound up in Ontario. Hmm... perhaps another road trip this summer to haggle in person. :)

Find the Kitchener coin and we might have a deal :D

Checked the lists and everything looks fine. I'm slightly surprised about some of my trades and no-trades, and disappointed that my most wanted slipped away from my fingers, but that's the way things are!

I'll try regrouping next time :laughing:

Thanks Chuck for all the great work with all these numbers! I'll never know how this really works in the backstage...

Everything looks fine on my side.

In fact, I was positively surprised with the large number of coins I'm trading, which I didn't expect :-)

Furthermore, I got some coins that were on my top wanted list, so this makes me very happy :D

I also learned a lot with this first participation, namely that the probability that one of your coins will trade is higher than I expected, and so that I should be more careful in order to avoid receiving duplicates (it happened with a couple of coins -- I knew this was possible, just not with that probability, and that's fine). In essence, the math trade works better than I thought, which is obviously great.

I'm just not 120% satisfied because I didn't get the coin that I wanted the most - the YemonYime variant of the CR2010 ;) But ok, that wasn't a surprise, I guess this was one of the most wanted coins, eheh.

Now it's time to send all the 20 packages or so (oh my god!!), and also receive about the same number (yeah!!!).

In summary, this is a wonderful initiative, a fantastic job -- a BIG that you, Chuck. And thanks to everyone else, some which will be directly trading with me and all the others that are in the trading chains :D

Antonio

Sorry for not getting my list in folks. We've been having some serious issues to deal with and I've not been on the forum for a while. Again, I apologize if we messed up anyone's fun on this.

No worries! Hope things have worked themselves out for you.

See you in the next Mathtrade!

I just received my ship to address list in email from Chuck. All trades, except GoldBugGirl, will ship out on Wednesday.

*Sorry Goldbuggirl, but that coin can't go anywhere until the week of the Masquerade events. So it will ship in a few weeks. I'll put an extra something in the mailer to make it worth your wait.

Good for all.

There was an error in my submission from the wish list.

And what happened to me is what appears to want to trade my rare geocoin 888 Portugal for a coin that does not even know.

As is obvious, and everyone must understand not want to do this exchange.

As I tried to explain to the creator of mathtrade, mistakes happen.

I wanted him to arrange a solution sinseramente and he did not care.

I am not satisfied with this response minimally.

In these modes will not send my 888 geocoin and hope not to send me a geocoin that I was meant in this exchange.

I hope that we can arrange an alternative or rephrase what happened.

My sincerest apologies

Good for all.

And what happened to me is what appears to want to trade my rare geocoin 888 Portugal for a coin that does not even know.

In these modes will not send my 888 geocoin and hope not to send me a geocoin that I was meant in this exchange.

My sincerest apologies

I'm sorry Paulo, but that is unnacceptable. By entering into the Mathtrade you agreed to abide by the rules and to carry through on every trade you offered. Everyone here entered their coins and their wish lists in good faith. And everyone here was responsible for checking their lists before the trade was completed.

I have heard back from one other participant who made an error, but they have agreed to send out the coin as promised. Last year, Gardengorilla made an error on every coin she listed (she used the wrong column)! She ended up making some horrible trades. But she honoured them all!

Please honour the trade and send your coin. As you say yourself 'Mistakes happen', but taking responsibility for them is up to you, not the rest of us!

For anyone who is required to send packages to myself and my wife, -Eleanor-, please feel free to use one package to save on postage. We'll amicably split them up when they are received, I promise. I just had someone email me that question, and I figured I would post it for all to see. I didn't bother too see how many people got stuck with the both of us :rolleyes:

TMA

Good for all.

My sincerest apologies

I'm sorry Paulo, but that is unnacceptable. By entering into the Mathtrade you agreed to abide by the rules and to carry through on every trade you offered. Everyone here entered their coins and their wish lists in good faith. And everyone here was responsible for checking their lists before the trade was completed.

I have heard back from one other participant who made an error, but they have agreed to send out the coin as promised. Last year, Gardengorilla made an error on every coin she listed (she used the wrong column)! She ended up making some horrible trades. But she honoured them all!

Please honour the trade and send your coin. As you say yourself 'Mistakes happen', but taking responsibility for them is up to you, not the rest of us!

I have to agree with E&Cplus3. The trade not only affects you and the person receiving the coin, but it could essentially have affected every single person in the math trade, through the trade chain.

Good for all.

My sincerest apologies

I have to agree with E&Cplus3. The trade not only affects you and the person receiving the coin, but it could essentially have affected every single person in the math trade, through the trade chain.

It initially effects avroair & me, but I don't know what coin avroair had to give up to get the 888.

Paulo, you should have checked your want list for typos. It's no one's fault but your own.

I will sent the 888 geocoin.... :sad:

The mistake is mine.

But if my sender have other coin to send me i will apreciate. =|

Hey Paulo,

I was meant to get the 888 Portugal, maybe we can set up a different trade.

Mark

Avroair

Well someone let me know what's decided since I am supposed to mail Paulo the coin he gets.

I checked the list and I am extremly happy with the result :D. I always thought that Yemon Yime's Compass Roses would be an unfullfilled dream for me, but now I will receive two of them!!! Phantastic!!! Thanks a lot to Chuck for organizing this Math Trade. My two traders will be sent out tomorrow. Thanks again and regards, Michael

Major kudos to you, Chuck, for putting this together with such success. :)

This was my first math trade. In fact, it was my first trade of any kind for quite some time. I'm excited to see some new coins coming at long last, and I look forward to doing this again next time!

I checked the list and I am extremly happy with the result :D. I always thought that Yemon Yime's Compass Roses would be an unfullfilled dream for me, but now I will receive two of them!!! Phantastic!!! Thanks a lot to Chuck for organizing this Math Trade. My two traders will be sent out tomorrow. Thanks again and regards, Michael

Hello Michael! Your enthusiasm is flattering, and I deeply appreciate the sentiment! Your YCR's will be on the way tomorrow...hopefully, well ahead of the massive ice and snow storm impending!

Yime

I will sent the 888 geocoin.... :sad:

The mistake is mine.

But if my sender have other coin to send me i will apreciate. =|

Hey Paulo,

I was meant to get the 888 Portugal, maybe we can set up a different trade.

Mark

Avroair

Well someone let me know what's decided since I am supposed to mail Paulo the coin he gets.

Setting up a different trade for Paulo is separate so you can go ahead and send it. I was just trying to provide an option if Paulo wasn't comfortable with parting with the Portugal 888.

Just went over my coins again.....sooo happy!! Received awesome coins!!! :)

This was my first math trade. Can't wait to do another one! Thanks again for everything E&Cplus3! SO organized and helpful!!!! :)

I went to buy bubble mailers today, and the store only had four. I'll try to get more tomorrow and mail out my coins ASAP!!

Edited for grammar

Edited by Where'sMyMarbles

Anyone have any good advice how to raise one's trade ration abve 30%...which is what I've hovered at the last two years, and how to get a desired coin from the top half of my want list? I've had terrible luck the last two years, and would love to know the secret to this trade game.

I'd like to be as thrilled as a few posters have been next year during the 7th international math trade.

:)

Anyway, I'm about to be slammed by the snow/ice storm of doom, so depending on how the road crews get the roads clear, no idea when I'll be able to get my coins out this week or such. Noting that two of the three packages are international, who knows when they will show up. Just warning the two of you.

Don't know about raising your trade percentage but the way to get the coins at the top of your wish list seems to be: Offer a LOT of coins but wishlist only a few. I offered 50, wishlisted 11, got all but 3. Not too bad in my book. :)

CF30

Oh, and I'll have my coins packaged up but if they will get mailed before the end of the week totally depends upon the weather. We are expecting a crap ton of ice, sleet & snow. The freezing rain started today and while streets are drivable, sidewalks & driveways are super slippery. Tomorrow the storm is supposed to really hit, starting between 6 & 9 AM, continuing with the freezing rain and ending with up to 24" of snow. This could go on thru Thursday. Sooooo, I will get 'em mailed ASAP and will post here when they are away. Thanks for understanding. :)

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Don't know about raising your trade percentage but the way to get the coins at the top of your wish list seems to be: Offer a LOT of coins but wishlist only a few. I offered 50, wishlisted 11, got all but 3. Not too bad in my book. :)

CF30

Oh, and I'll have my coins packaged up but if they will get mailed before the end of the week totally depends upon the weather. We are expecting a crap ton of ice, sleet & snow. The freezing rain started today and while streets are drivable, sidewalks & driveways are super slippery. Tomorrow the storm is supposed to really hit, starting between 6 & 9 AM, continuing with the freezing rain and ending with up to 24" of snow. This could go on thru Thursday. Sooooo, I will get 'em mailed ASAP and will post here when they are away. Thanks for understanding. :)

That works for getting desired coins, but only if what you have is on a lot of people's want lists. It also gives you a very low trade percentage because you can only trade 11 coins max of a possible 50.

So having a short string doesn't always work. I think the more coins you have on your want list, the more trades you have the chance of making (assuming at least one person wants what you're offering). So I always have pretty long strings of what I'll accept. I didn't get anything on the top of my want list though and I never seem to either. But, I did get coins I can do something with and traded away coins I can't. So it all works out well.

Hopefully we'll do another math trade in the summer.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I think your best bet to get things that are high on your want list is to want things that nobody else does. :lol:

I think nearly everybody had the Yime variants on their list, but the number two coin on my want list was only on four other people's lists -- and not very high up.

There were 553 coins traded (which is really freaky because that is exactly how many were traded last year)

There were 3 trade groups

The longest group involved 538 coins; the other two were for 9 and 6 coins each.

There will be 378 mailers sent out.

For anyone interested in running Mathtrades at other times of the year (I'll stick to once a year, thank you), here is the website for the software:

TradeMaximizer at BoardGameGeek

I agree with AG - any chance we'll have another math trade later in the year?

As for increasing trade percentage, I think a dose of reality and a broad array of "wants" always helps. If you want "coveted" coins, you need to offer coveted coins. I guess what I mean by coveted is coins that you can "do something" with, and this something is not going to be the same for all people. Everyone trades and seeks coins for different reasons, and the end result is a coin is not a coin is not a coin, even if they are all unactivated and trackable.

I traded 24 of 49 coins offered, for 48.9%, and I received nearly everything I wanted. I tried to look at a few variables to see if there were any trends:

who sold the coin (the vendor)?

is the coin still available for purchase?

coin edition (LE/XLE/AE/etc)?

The only solid trend I saw in my set of coins was a coin made by tsunrisebey. Of the nine coins I offered made by that vendor, eight traded. The only reason the 9th did not trade was because I didn't list any possible trades. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be packing it up an mailing it off. I guess you can "do something" with these coins. If we really wanted some meaningful statistics behind this, we'd have to look at the entire list of coins offered and see which of these coins occurred most often in people's want lists. Only Chuck has access to this very valuable data, and I'm thinking he has a life outside of math trades and probably won't be investing too much time in that! Plus, I'm not sure it's publishable, although the history of the math trade and some sort of analysis of the "most valuable geocoins" might be an interesting topic for the geocaching blog...

As for my wants, I wanted some sold out coins as well as some more recent coins that I simply missed out on purchasing. On a personal note, I like to have two versions of coins: one to keep and one to send out. Receiving duplicates wasn't a problem for me, and in fact I looked for ways to trade for two identical coins. As a result, I think some folks benefited from my desire for a "Mood" coin, and of course I made out because I got more than one!

I would appreciate it if everyone could please post to this thread as they send out and receive their coins. Photos would be welcomed too!!

The format used in the past has been:

Sending out:

(ACASIM x2)(BENNIEBOYS)(DOC256)(DRESSELDRAGONS)(ELTADA x2)(FOSSILLADY)(GREENISH)(LOS_MUERTOS)(MAUISON)(NUMAKEH x2)(SCIFICOLLECTOR)(TADPOLE379)(WHERESMYMARBLES x3)(WHITBY)(YANAGI x2)(YEMONYIME)

Receiving:

(2GOLFERS x2)(ACASIM)(AVROAIR)(BENNIEBOYS x2)(CROWESFEAT30)(DOC256 x2)(DRNEAL)(ICE13-333)(KINI_ONT x2)(MAUISON x2)(MODELCITIZEN)(NIKON-ING)(NUMAKEH)(SCIFICOLLECTOR x2)(YANAGI)(YEMONYIME)

And just use the strikethrough markup to cross off the ones that are sent and received.