PiGo app for iPhone

Team Peredox

I'm just wondering what people are experiencing when using the new WherPiGo app for the iPhone. We downloaded one cart and it worked fine, but it has some limitations (such as not being able to upload your save file to the website).

I also heard that it doesn't handle multiple choice, but I have no experience with that since the one cart we completed didn't have any multiple choice in it.

It's been out for a few weeks and not a word has been written about it in this forum. Until now. :angry:

Can anyone compare it to other players (since all I have is the iPhone)? I'm building my first cart and would like to know what's different compared to the other players.

Actually, it's more accurate to say nothing has been written about it in the "Playing Wherigo" forum. The other three forums for Wherigo have threads about it. Feel free to join in.

I may be a little selfish when saying it, but WheriPiGo doesn't work, yet, for Whack-A-Lackey. To me, that means it's not quite ready for some of the more "custom" cartridges. Oh, it'll run the game, but the zones aren't renamed and such.

On the plus side, I've heard that, save for the problem you mentioned, it does well with most other cartridges.

Actually, it's more accurate to say nothing has been written about it in the "Playing Wherigo" forum. The other three forums for Wherigo have threads about it. Feel free to join in.

Yes, I saw the threads in the other forums after I posted here.

There is a new version out in the App store. The improvements listing is pretty vague, but it adds a new Bonus Feature (which you can buy for $.99): a map showing where you are and all the active zones. I haven't tried it out, but it sounds like a useful feature (especially for iPhoners for whom the compass arrow is a bit dodgy).

Does the new version include the fix for multiple choice inputs?

If so, what is the name of the new version? I'd like to be clear for anyone using it with my Wherigo.

thanks,

Paul.

The version that fixes multiple-choice inputs will be 1.2. The current version in the app store is 1.1.

I may be a little selfish when saying it, but WheriPiGo doesn't work, yet, for Whack-A-Lackey. To me, that means it's not quite ready for some of the more "custom" cartridges. Oh, it'll run the game, but the zones aren't renamed and such.

On the plus side, I've heard that, save for the problem you mentioned, it does well with most other cartridges.

I tried Whack-A-Lackey and found that I needed to add a way to create timers from a table, plus rudimentary support for exception handling, to get it to work right. What a painful game! They just keep popping up! Anyway, the fixes will be in PiGo version 1.2.

I tried Whack-A-Lackey and found that I needed to add a way to create timers from a table, plus rudimentary support for exception handling, to get it to work right. What a painful game! They just keep popping up! Anyway, the fixes will be in PiGo version 1.2.
I do have an idea for a battleship game. Should I start developing it so I can give you more fun? At the moment, though, I've been on the back side of things, trying to get Groundspeak to open source their Builder and Player (this will happen, so, now, I just have to keep raising the issue). I'm also pushing for site updates, but that'll still be a while off.

Hmm... what other things can I try doing with Wherigo now that we have faster cell phones running a player? Some zone calculations come to mind, though I still doubt the accuracy of such devices' GPS receivers.

By the way, I changed this topic's title to use "PiGo" instead of "WherPiGo".

I've been on the back side of things, trying to get Groundspeak to open source their Builder and Player (this will happen, so, now, I just have to keep raising the issue).".

Can you expand on that please? Is there a reason that Groundspeak have not yet accepted/acknowledged the (currently) 2nd place request to "Update Wherigo and make it usable"?

cheers,

Paul.

How can one get the saved (completed) cartridge from the curren version of the iPhone app PiGo?

How can one get the saved (completed) cartridge from the curren version of the iPhone app PiGo?

There isn't yet an option to unlock a cartridge with PiGo by uploading it.

I downloaded cartridges without a problem today. Did Groundspeak fix something at the Wherigo site or did I just get lucky? Perhaps it was luck. I got in on three separate tries, downloaded cartridges, and then again ran into problems with the log in.

Update: I tried today and ran into the usual log on problems, switched over to Safari and was able to get to the dowload page with my user name still showing, went back into Pigo and started over. Everything worked and I was able to download another cartridge. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I went back into Pigo after writing this message and could not log in at the download page. Then I closed everything down in Safari, opened up the Wherigo site, this time the site in safari remembered who I was and I was able to get to the download page again. I opened up Pigo and when I went to the download cartridge page it remembered who I was and allowed me to download another cartridge.

It is mystifying to me. If the app remembers who I am when I open it, it seems to work. If I have to log in again, it does not. Its sporadic to say the least and every time I wonder if I found a particular procedure it seems to stop working and then work again. But I have downloaded around 9 or 10 cartridges from the app within the last couple of days.

Edited by mulvaney

The other thing that I have been noticing is that every time I download a cartridge, the Wherigo site no longer recognizes me in Pigo and I have to start over again to get it to remember who I am. I just wish I had a better idea of what I had to do to start over again.

If Wherigo remembers me in Safari, then I have a pretty good chance of making Pigo work. Switching around, starting over again in both apps, backing out of the download screen in Pigo and trying it again all seem to work now and then. It was not working. I fiddled with things. It worked. It did not work again. Fiddling some more. It worked again. 11 cartridges later and I have to say that it can be done, but I am still not sure how.

I noticed that I could navigate in the Wherigo site on the iphone through Opera and Skyfire without any problem, so I went into the Safari settings and cleared the cookies and cache and opened Wherigo through Safari, logging on. Then I downloaded two cartridges through Pigo. I wonder how long my sense of accomplishment will last.

Not long I suspect because Safari has problems on the Wherigo site, even if alternative browsers work okay. But when you can't use the itunes/sync method described in the other thread it is possible to get Pigo to work. Its sporadic, so patience and persistence helps.

Update: After posting this I had problems again with Pigo. So I repeated clearing Safari (cookies, cache), opening Wherigo in Safari and logging on through My Home. I switched back to Pigo. Backed put of the browser screen (pigo button) and reopened it using the download button. Again it worked well and I downloaded another cartridge, could have done a second.

I used this method a third time so I am starting to have a sense of accomplishment. And I have even been able to go back into Pigo without clearing the cookies so I have been saving that for when things get stuck

Edited by mulvaney

I received several reports of this problem, so I tried it out myself and had the same problem. I never thought to delete cookies in Safari, but I had the sometimes works/sometimes doesn't issue too. This after many hours of testing PiGo both in the simulator and on a device with no problems! This trouble seems like a semi-recent development, so I wonder if something in the web site changed. I'll try to add another way to get cartridges onto the device, plus work with the web site people to see what's up.

I noticed that I could navigate in the Wherigo site on the iphone through Opera and Skyfire without any problem, so I went into the Safari settings and cleared the cookies and cache and opened Wherigo through Safari, logging on. Then I downloaded two cartridges through Pigo. I wonder how long my sense of accomplishment will last.

Not long I suspect because Safari has problems on the Wherigo site, even if alternative browsers work okay. But when you can't use the itunes/sync method described in the other thread it is possible to get Pigo to work. Its sporadic, so patience and persistence helps.

Update: After posting this I had problems again with Pigo. So I repeated clearing Safari (cookies, cache), opening Wherigo in Safari and logging on through My Home. I switched back to Pigo. Backed put of the browser screen (pigo button) and reopened it using the download button. Again it worked well and I downloaded another cartridge, could have done a second.

I used this method a third time so I am starting to have a sense of accomplishment. And I have even been able to go back into Pigo without clearing the cookies so I have been saving that for when things get stuck

Thanks for the many tips. Despite the sign in problems, using your technique of signing into Wherigo via Safari and going to the download page, then opening Pigo allowed me to download two nearby Wherigo caches!

Cheers! <_<

this may seem like a silly question, but does it matter which version of a cartridge I download with PiGo?

The Wherigo site has options based on the different compatible devices, and I've downloaded cartridges for both a Colorado, and a PPC player. as far as I can tell, both seem to work. I guess what i'm really asking is this: what are the differences between cartridges for the same game, but different devices?

For the most part, the type of media included are what differentiates a cartridge. For instance, a Garmin Player cannot play waveform sounds while other Players might. I'm not quite sure what type of processing is done, exactly, on Groundspeak's servers when you request a cartridge for a certain device.

PiGo should work with the Pocket PC cartridges. As far as I know, nothing is left out of a cartridge downloaded for a Pocket PC.

I'm not quite sure what type of processing is done, exactly, on Groundspeak's servers when you request a cartridge for a certain device.

When you compile for a given device, something magic is done with the media resources. So it could decide to include MP3 for sounds on PPC and FDL on Garmin. But I've never found out how it knows, say, which version of an image to use.

My understanding of the download process is that you get a fresh copy of the cartridge, compiled for your specified platform, and with your Wherigo.com username in there. So when you upload a cartridge as an author, it doesn't matter which version you upload; the Lua file is in there and it will all get recompiled at each download anyway. (The Earwigo project has discovered that certain parts of the Lua file must have specific, critical syntax, because the code which does all this relies on a specific layout, use of particular Lua string types, etc.)

I can't wait for the Garmin platform to be dropped. Then we can have standard sound, one alphabet (UTF8) allowing any characters to be displayed (requires smart builder :)), and perhaps a documented way to build images for any size of screen.

Edited by sTeamTraen

Finally published my first Wherigo cart/cache today! Woo-hoo! But I'll be happier when someone actually completes it!

Anyway, I have yet to successfully complete my own cart using PiGo. I have a total of 8 zones spread out over a good distance. (I have four zones close together then a distance of about a quarter mile to get to the next four.) It seems like the app always crashes after the first four zones. Sometimes, like today, I got to the fifth zone, but it crashed shortly thereafter.

And after a crash, when the app comes back, it doesn't bring me back to where I was. Usually, all the items in my inventory are gone or else the app starts all over from the beginning.

Anyone else experience this while playing with PiGo? Is it possibly due to the size of the cart?

I can't log in either. It's a real irritation.

I can't log in either to download a cartridge I want to test. If I go to My Home, I can log in, but when I select one of my own cartridges so I can field test my signed in state doesn't carry forward.

I bought a brand new Ipad and had the same problem to download a cartridge. It is no way possible to download a cartridge on the Wherigo page over the PiGo interface (download) I can sign by pressing "home" but when I have selected the country ond try to download the cartridge then it requires new "sign in" and then you try again "around and around"

Apparently version 1.2 is out and has been for some time though I never knew it. I kept visiting the app store, but it never said an update was available. I only found out because I was looking at PiGo via iTunes on my computer.

Several things I've noticed:

Apparently, this version is capable of handling multiple choice inputs. Haven't tried it yet, but I hope to later today.

I have been able to start playing another cart (Geocacheotopia), that had always crashed whenever I tried to play it. Now it looks like I'll be able to finish it.

I hope this will also fix my problem with my own cart where the app always crashes before I can finish.

Last but not least, it looks like the download problem is fixed. Now, I don't know if it's because of the update to the app or because I upgraded my iPhone OS to 4.2.1, but I can now download directly from the app without doing the login-via-Safari workaround.

Things are looking up!

Just completed my own cache for the first time using PiGo 1.2. It did crash at one point, but when it restarted, it picked up where it left off, so that was good news.

Also, multiple choice works fine. It is a little different in that, instead of having buttons for choices, you're given a wheel. Scroll to the choice you want then click Done in the upper left. You get used to it after a while.

So overall, PiGo is looking good. Downloads work again, it's more stable, and it supports multiple choice.

Just completed my own cache for the first time using PiGo 1.2. It did crash at one point, but when it restarted, it picked up where it left off, so that was good news.

Also, multiple choice works fine. It is a little different in that, instead of having buttons for choices, you're given a wheel. Scroll to the choice you want then click Done in the upper left. You get used to it after a while.

So overall, PiGo is looking good. Downloads work again, it's more stable, and it supports multiple choice.

I have tried all. have Iphone software 4.2 cleared the cache and history in Safari nad guess I have 1.2 of Pigo as I have Km instead of miles but it still not work. The only way for me to download a cartridge is to connect to Itumes go to programs and down to PiGo document transfere and load the cartridge by downloading from the Wherigo page to the computer and then into Iphone over Itunes

Rats! Looks like I spoke too soon. I'm having the same downloads problem again too. I guess I had previously logged in via Safari and that's why I was able to download into PiGo.

Just so you know in case you haven't read previous posts in this thread, the workaround is this: log in to the Wherigo website via safari then switch to PiGo and log in there. You should then be able to download carts directly into the app.

I guess we'll have to go back to waiting for Groundspeak to fix the site...

Since the last updates (I updated Pigo and the firmware at the same time) the downloads through the app have become trickier. I downloaded a couple of cartridges last night in preparation of an upcoming trip, but it required a fair amount of fiddling.

It is still curious that the Wherigo site works much better signing in through the opera or skyfire apps than with safari. So whatever is the underlying problem seems more related to the way that Pigo uses safari than anything else.

Edited by mulvaney

Hi!

Today we solved our first Wherigo using PiGo V1.2 on the iPhone.

After we had found a way to get the cartridge into the app (login via safari and then download via PiGo) everything went very smooth. Only the GPS accuracy was a little problem sometimes.

Pictures and text are displayed correctly. Multiple choice questions work perfect. Sound is also ok. Everything fine.

The only problem is that the unlock code we got after completion seems to be incorrect. The Wherigo.com website doesn't accept it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Anke&Didi