Respecting owners request´s

TGL,

I have this "Gingko Leaf" (TB3CWQ7) coin which i last summer left in cache in Lisboa.

In its description it´s said that it dont want to go events.

But after i left it, it´s not have been in any caches,only events.

When it was dropped to "An Oxford Gathering" event i send message to dropper and he promised to remove it from there.

To that "Milkshake Event #007" event it was dropped 2 days after event was kept...

I edited name of that coin after it had been left to that "Milkshake Event #007" event.

Is it really so that there´s no need to respect owners request´s or care about travellers mission???

All of my traveling geocoins have a tag that says to please not take them to events because they go missing. I also have this request on each geocoin's page.

This does not stop cachers from taking them to events, some even post that even though they know they're not supposed to take them to events, they do so and promise to hand them off to another cacher. Well, this has happened and what do you think happens? Yep, my coin gets handed off and goes missing. A couple of my coins were taken to different 10 Years events and they went missing.

So it happens and it'll keep happening. That's the chance we take when we release our geocoins to travel.

It's ironic that the more you struggle to prevent something the more you get just what you're trying to avoid!

I took a look at your coin's mission and it simply says... "Just travel....". It's not until I got to the Description of the coin that I saw your wish that it not be placed in Event caches. Try expressing this desire in the Goal section and include your reasoning as people can generally be more accommodating when they hear a request and understand it.

I'm not a fan of having my traveling coins end up at Events either (they seem to be dumping grounds for orphans) and when they get dropped off in one I send a kind request to the cacher that they be a good date and see my coin home after the event or hand it off to a responsible cacher who'll be an equally good date and I include my reasoning. The responses I've had so far have been awesome, kind and fun.

As Mauison said coins will go missing no matter what you do or say so enjoy their journey for as long as they remain in the wild. :angry:

Edited by Droo

It's ironic that the more you struggle to prevent something the more you get just what you're trying to avoid!

I took a look at your coin's mission and it simply says... "Just travel....". It's not until I got to the Description of the coin that I saw your wish that it not be placed in Event caches. Try expressing this desire in the Goal section and include your reasoning as people can generally be more accommodating when they hear a request and understand it.

I'm not a fan of having my traveling coins end up at Events either (they seem to be dumping grounds for orphans) and when they get dropped off in one I send a kind request to the cacher that they be a good date and see my coin home after the event or hand it off to a responsible cacher who'll be an equally good date and I include my reasoning. The responses I've had so far have been awesome, kind and fun.

As Mauison said coins will go missing no matter what you do or say so enjoy their journey for as long as they remain in the wild. :angry:

I placed my first coin "The Rainbow Bridge" coin in August (I think it was), it was picked up by another cacher who placed it about a month later. Now it's gone missing. I knew that was a possibility when I placed it, but geez, I was sure hoping to see it moving around for a little while before going missing. I was thinking of emailing the people who were logged at the cache between the date it got dropped and when the owner reported it as missing to see if I can narrow the window of time down. Is this a good idea or should I not even bother? Thanks all advice appreciated.

Edited by QuiltinNana

To be honest (this is just me being honest, don't jump down my throat please) I've never cared much for coins that have restrictions on events. However, when a coin says no events, I do not take them to events. That being said, I also never leave coins at events. If a coin goes to an event with me, I either trade someone else directly so I see it enter their hands, or I show it off and take it home with me. I won't just throw them on the table. Even as a noob I could see the danger in that and coins getting stolen.

I just edited description as Droo suggested.

At this morning(6am utc) i send ,very polite, email to that person who placed it to that third event on row...

This far no answer of anykind.

I also writed note to coins page were i asked him\her to pick it up from that newest event.

I placed my first coin "The Rainbow Bridge" coin in August (I think it was), it was picked up by another cacher who placed it about a month later. Now it's gone missing. I knew that was a possibility when I placed it, but geez, I was sure hoping to see it moving around for a little while before going missing. I was thinking of emailing the people who were logged at the cache between the date it got dropped and when the owner reported it as missing to see if I can narrow the window of time down. Is this a good idea or should I not even bother? Thanks all advice appreciated.

Of course tracking down missing coins can worthwhile if you can find the person who forgot to log it out or didn't know and you can help them become better informed about this game - AND get your coin back in the tracking system. However after doing it a couple of dozen times or more it gets old when it happens over and over and over again.

The Zen way is just to wait and expect the detour off the reservation (out of the tracking system) to be part of the coin's journey as often missing coins turn up again in the oddest of places. :rolleyes::)