how to start?

Guest degauss

Guest degauss

Perhaps I am being dense here, but when I read the instructions about Travel Bugs at the geocache.com site, I cannot figure out how to START a new one. We've purchased four and would like to send them a travelling, but I'm not sure how to "register" by bugs' numbers! Can someone please help me?

Guest Markwell

No, you're not dense. It's a little non-intuitive.

First, you need to activate the bug. With the bug came a password, and the bug has a six digit code on it. First, log in to the Geocaching site, and then go to the Track a Bug Page and enter the six digit code underneath the bug icon. That should take you to a page that indicates that the bug is not yet active and asks: Do you wish to activate it? Follow the instructions for activation. Once activated, the bug is now in your "possession."

Once you activate the bug, you need to decide what you're going to do with it. Is there a neat little story to go with the bug, do you have a electronic version of a picture of the bug attached to its little character (must be JPG)? Once you have all that, you can modify the bug's page to get it looking just right, and telling the story you want to tell.

The bug is active and the page is right. It says it's in my hands. I want to place it in a cache. Place it in the cache, and then go to the cache's webpage (being logged in). You can either log the cache as a note (if you've already been there before: Read my Jan 12 note) or as a Find. Either way, when you log the page at the bottom of the screen will be a drop down list of the bugs in your possession. Indicate which bug you're leaving and click "Log My Visit."

Your bug should be on its way, ready for someone to find!

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

Once the photo is loaded onto the bug's page, edit the bug and on the left hand side it has a dropdown for which photo you can have be the "official" bug's photo.

Once you do that, it's put into the gallery.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Guest TJWilson

e a bug in order to have a traveler?

The reason I'm asking is I don't think I'm going to be able to afford any bugs untill I start work again.

------------------

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

[This message has been edited by TJWilson (edited 02 February 2002).]

Guest infosponge

I would like to add a few more hints, having been launching my own TB's for a few months now.

1. don't use the chain that comes with them. I was shortening it at first, but now I use one of those plastic cable ties to secure the tag to the item. I worry about the tag coming off using just the chain.

2. If possible, add a laminated tag with extra instructions. It seems there's a certain number of people out there who don't understand how travel bugs work, or like to take them but can't be bothered to log them in on the web site and/or move them along. This is incredibly annoying if your the TB's owner.

TJWilson, to answer your question, No, you do not have the have a TB tag to have a traveler. Look at Fly...MARS ROVER. This was a traveler before travel bugs were made. You just have to do your own tracking and updating.

Guest Rusty_da_dog

I was just wondering, I have a travel bug I set loose today. I was unable to name it, so it is a "generic travel bug" I was wondering if you can name them once they have been placed, or if he is just going to be generic, and also can anyone tell me how to name them in the future in case I cant change this ones name.

Thanks for any information,

Rusty

------------------

RW Da Man!!!

Guest Markwell

When you are logged in to the system, there's a little icon in the upper right hand that says "Edit this Travel Bug" your something along those lines.

Once you're in edit mode, you can change the name, the goals, make an already added photo the "official" photo - just about everything you'd need to do.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page