Car = Special Equipment

"special equipment" is listed as one reason for a 5 star rating. Does anyone think that motor vehicles count? I was just thinking how there are tons of caches that are impossible for me to get because they are in the middle of nowhere 20-80 miles outside of Seoul and I don't have a car.

Before you flame, I am only 3 quarters serious B)

All but perhaps 3 or 4 caches that I have found required a special piece of equipment in the form of a GPS. B)

If you're talking about some form of off-road motor vehicle such as an ATV or dirt bike, you could probably consider the cache 5 stars, but I've rarely seen that done as most of those caches could still be hiked to.

"special equipment" is listed as one reason for a 5 star rating. Does anyone think that motor vehicles count? I was just thinking how there are tons of caches that are impossible for me to get because they are in the middle of nowhere 20-80 miles outside of Seoul and I don't have a car.

For you, yes. Heck, all of Korea ought to count as a 5-star terrain. I went caching outside of Seoul in April after a business trip, and there was a 3.5 star -- on a sandy granite ledge with a 400' drop -- I wouldn't have attempted without a climbing harness. I think the only nominal Korean five-star caches are in the minefields along the DMZ.

For you, yes. Heck, all of Korea ought to count as a 5-star terrain. I went caching outside of Seoul in April after a business trip, and there was a 3.5 star -- on a sandy granite ledge with a 400' drop -- I wouldn't have attempted without a climbing harness. I think the only nominal Korean five-star caches are in the minefields along the DMZ.

Actually, all the six star caches are in North Korea. If you're a Platinum Member they'll show up on your list.

I would say just joe average car no it wouldn't be special. Off roading jeep then yes that's special.

Same with ATV or boat or stuff like that.

There were some outside of Wickenburg, AZ that were rated 1.5 or 2 because it was assumed everyone had an ATV.

The terrain rating was for AFTER you got to the location.

Edited by hukilaulau

HAHAHA!!! Yeah, Geocaching is only about 3/4ths understood by the Korean cachers. you have no idea how many caches have no description, no hint, no cache size and the cords are 50 to 60 feet off. Frustrating.

HAHAHA!!! Yeah, Geocaching is only about 3/4ths understood by the Korean cachers. you have no idea how many caches have no description, no hint, no cache size and the cords are 50 to 60 feet off. Frustrating.

And, hey, thanks for moving my Air Racer TB all over SE Asia. Great fun for my boy. It's now back in Washington state, hopefully on its way home.

Before you flame, I am only 3 quarters serious :D

And, hey, thanks for moving my Air Racer TB all over SE Asia. Great fun for my boy. It's now back in Washington state, hopefully on its way home.

Oh it was my pleasure to move it around SE Asia! B) I just wish I could have found a cache big enough to leave it there.

I would say just joe average car no it wouldn't be special. Off roading jeep then yes that's special.

There were some outside of Wickenburg, AZ that were rated 1.5 or 2 because it was assumed everyone had an ATV.

We have a hider here who will regularly rate caches 1 or 1.5 when they're on rough trails for quite a long run up or up steep hills because he is able to get to them on ATV easily. I regularly avoid his caches.

We have a hider here who will regularly rate caches 1 or 1.5 when they're on rough trails for quite a long run up or up steep hills because he is able to get to them on ATV easily. I regularly avoid his caches.

Yeah, this makes me wish PQ's had an "ignore all" feature so you could just ignore all caches from a person if they have crappy hides.

Yeah, this makes me wish PQ's had an "ignore all" feature so you could just ignore all caches from a person if they have crappy hides.

GSAK's filters can do that for you.

As for your original question... why? Why would you want to make it a 5 star cache. Doesn't everybody that would be likely to attempt that cache realize that it would require the use of a car? What would be the point of using a 5T rating?