Why doesn't it show where the bug was grabbed, sometimes?

Rubbertoe

I noticed that most bug entries show the person that grabbed it, along with what cache they grabbed it from... or who is leaving the cache, and what cache they left it in.

See one of my travel bugs for an example of what I mean. (each entry automagically showed who did the bug movement, and to/from which cache)

But if you look at some bug logs, like this one, you will see that some entries don't appear to have this information automatically inserted. (the July 27th entry just shows it as being grabbed by the user, but gives no cache information)

I'm just wondering why that happens sometimes - it is probably something obvious, but I can't figure it out right now.

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

i can come up with two possiable reasons:

A, the cache it was picked up/dropped at was archived? but i would think it would still show up just if you clicked on the link it would show the page with an alert at the top.

B, the other idea is more of a question. can a bug's travels be edited? and how?

but i think the book worm bug may be neither. the systems still says it was seen in the cache it started in, but the log shows it somewhere elase? were ppl "finding" this bug and leaving there? did the owner go get it and bring it back?

is there some mess up with this bug?

i'd bring it to the attention of an admin and see if they can come up an better answer.....

whack.gif

On 21 Aug, I grabbed this bug. The log shows that I can delete my entry. It would then show that youdig placed it on 4 Aug in Just Browsing and then I (Attila) placed in in Travelers Rest on 21 Aug. The pickup from Just Browsing would never show. Just an idea, but I bet that is how it happened.

Okay, I'll leave my answer, but I think (pointed out by Fuzzy) that my answer doesn't really answer the question. So nevermind.

Sometimes bugs are handed off between people, I mean not grabbed from a cache, and therefore it wouldn't show a cache name. This has happened with several bugs I've grabbed and handed off.

For instance, when I gave Shannah's Bearista to mrp, it shows that he "grabbed" it, just as I had grabbed it from Eug previously. But when Eug got it from Evil Empire, it showed that he took it from the cache.

Does that explain it at all?

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

[This message was edited by beckerbuns on August 27, 2002 at 01:03 PM.]

When you log a bug, you have a checkbox that says this:

quote:

Item was retrieved from the "Round Knob KT Cache #1" cache by Indy Diver

(If this is checked, it will be marked as retrieved from the cache. Leave it unchecked if you found it somewhere else.)

If you don't check it, it says it was "grabbed." See the bug that this checkbox text was taken from for an example of when such a thing might make sense.

warm.gif

if it doesnt say where it was grabbed from it was either a hand off, or whoever grabbed it didnt pay close enough attention, unless of course they did find it in place other the last know cache...

right?

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

When you log a bug, you have a checkbox that says this:

quote:

Item was retrieved from the "Round Knob KT Cache #1" cache by Indy Diver

(If this is checked, it will be marked as retrieved from the cache. Leave it unchecked if you found it somewhere else.)

If you don't check it, it says it was "grabbed." See the bug that this checkbox text was taken from for an example of when such a thing might make sense.

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

if it doesnt say where it was grabbed from it was either a hand off, or whoever grabbed it didnt pay close enough attention, unless of course they did find it in place other the last know cache... right?

Right, except that paying attention isn't a factor: the box is checked by default.

warm.gif

I can tell you one of the resons why this would happen. I picked up the Prince Froggers TB7EF TB it the Cadillac Pathways cache (GC4D41). I loged it and noticed that the people that moved it from its last loged cache didn't bother to log it in between. No one loged it into Cadillac Pathways.

so what I did was "grabed" the TB, placed it into Cadillac Pathways, and then "retreved" it again. something like some one logging it into a virtual to transfer a bug to some one else.

I placed the TB

quote:
Buffy Returns
in the
Winchell Overlook
GC2AC6 cache on August 30th, 2002 15:30.

At the time I was logging the cache and dropping the TB it already stated that the bug had been retrieved by someone? icon_confused.gif

The cache no longer shows the TB and the TB's page does not show that the TB was grabbed it only shows that it has been spotted in my hands?

Any ideas on how to get the mess cleared up? I emailed the person who's name showed up as grabbing the TB but I have not heard anything back yet?

They have not logged finding the cache or the TB on the same date that I did? icon_confused.gif

I placed the TB

quote:
Buffy Returns
in the
Winchell Overlook
GC2AC6 cache on August 30th, 2002 15:30.

At the time I was logging the cache and dropping the TB it already stated that the bug had been retrieved by someone? icon_confused.gif

The cache no longer shows the TB and the TB's page does not show that the TB was grabbed it only shows that it has been spotted in my hands?

Any ideas on how to get the mess cleared up? I emailed the person who's name showed up as grabbing the TB but I have not heard anything back yet?

They have not logged finding the cache or the TB on the same date that I did? icon_confused.gif

. . . that the logs are messed up is simple timing, especially when a cache is new and a lot of people are coming by very quickly. For example, I dropped off a travel bug at a new cache in our area, but before I could get home and officially place it there, someone else (my buddy Doc) came by, picked up the bug, got home before me, and logged it. That resulted in a "grabbed" log (and, unfortunately, it also cheated the bug of the mileage that would've accrued if I had beat Doc home!)

That whole scenario encouraged me to pay attention when I pick up a bug and make sure to give the person who dropped it off time to log it first. Most of the time bugs sit in a cache for days or weeks at a time and it's no issue -- the "grabbed" problem only occurs when the bug is changing hands quickly.

-honeychile-

'*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_A joyful heart is good medicine!_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`