Caching with Cubs

Any helpful suggestions taken on the above. I have offered to take my sons cub group Geocaching. The intention is to place some new caches to go "live" just before we do them (so I know they are well stocked, clean etc.) Has anyone every done caching with a group of kids? How best to do it in a limited time (1.5 hours) and with limited GPS's available.

Seemed like a good idea when I offered B)

Not done it myself, but we own a night cache that the local Guides do - they chose it specifically because after you arrive at the coords, all the girls can take part using a torch (without one person monopolising the GPS).

Quite a few cachers are cub/scout leaders who no doubt will have plenty of suggestions in due course. Mad H@ter and Bambography are two that spring to mind straight away....

One aspect to consider if you're setting the final cache container close to the cub/scout hut:

The reviewers are cautious about publishing such caches, for the same reasons they're cautious about caches that are close to schools. Remember that the cache will have to be available for all geocachers to search, so consider if it's a good place for random cachers to be hunting around, at any time of the day or night.

If it's on land owned by the Scouting Association it will help if you put the name of the official who has given permission for the placement in the "Note to Reviewer" section when you submit the cache for publication.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

We did this recently with our Cubs & Scouts - myself and another leader are cachers so between us (and courtesy of some friends) we managed to get 6 GPS devices to use. These were a mixture of dedicated GPS & Smartphones. We hid 4 caches in large containers (2-3l size) and pre-programmed the co-ordinates into each of the units. We then split the kids into groups, assigned them a different order to find the caches and sent them off - we meet near fields / forest so have the luxury of being able to do some caches 500m away from the meeting.

Each of the groups was accompanied by a leader and / or Explorer Scout and each time they found a cache, they were able to open & take some of the sweets hidden inside. As we did the caches in a particular order, we were able to make sure that the last group to a cache retrieved it and brought it back to base - we simply put stickers (1 less than the number of groups) on the cache container and at a successful find, the group would remove 1 sticker. When a group arrived at a cache with no stickers, they knew they were the last group and collected the container.

It worked very well and the kids loved doing it - we have had a few enquiries from parents as they seem interested in finding out what it's about. We're also planning a night orienteering event in December (around a local forest) and we'll use GPS again to find the orienteering markers.

Ive done similar to some of the other replies on here. Ive taken scouts and explorer scouts out caching. Both times chosen cache rich areas that they know. With cubs I would set them some local ones around the scout site and pre programe the GPS.

We did a rather good game last year with each leader taking a laminated letter (or picture puzzle if you like) and the explorers had to find the leaders in the dark and get the letters this gave them coordinates (we have 8 /9 old GPS units) for a final cache I had placed within the campsite with a bag of sweets for the winning team to share. Of course, its worth doing a prep talk beforehand on how sweets and other consumables should not normally be in publically available caches. Also the fun bit which got the enthusiasm going was when I was able to give them different size cache containers, TB's and coins to handle.

Mark

Hi Most of the the information given is good, but a good way of doing this is to combine orienteering and geocaching.

This way you can use the GPSr's in conjunction with maps and compasses, the orienteering side of things will give you a scoring system as per a normal event.

But hide the containers close by but not directly under the markers.

For encouragement hide only one packet of smarties in each container, but place around 20 and explain this before you start so the sixes do not all head for the closest one first, as only the first group will get the sweets. This works well to get them going in different directions from the offset.

It is also more likely that the leaders will have a orienteering course that is local and used regularly which helps with planning and risk assessments etc.

Also on the hole setting geocaches with cubs is generally not good, particularly in the local area as the temptation for them to show their mates is great, and this can lead to muggling.

Also most Scout caches tend to fall fowl on maintenance issues and are short lived, however there are exceptions as i should know as many of my caches are Scout caches! But i look after these so they are all perfect