Rant against mobil device logging trend

DarkZen

Because of this post I've started adding little two line poems. I've only found a few but as time goes on I plan on making more elaborate verses. I feel I owe it to the cache hider. But initially I thought that TFTC was acceptable.

Well, I don't know if you're trying to be funny, but none of your 5 cache logs are "TFTC" only, and none appear to have been edited after the fact. Do me a favor when you're bored sometime. See how many "TFTC" logs you can find from 2008 or earlier on a cache page. :D

What I meant were the acronyms in general :)

And to put more effort in them.

Yeah, there seems to be some confusion with that from many newer players when they read a "downward logging trend" thread. The acroynym's are fine. I'll drop a TFTC on the end of a 300 word log.

I can understand wanting feedback on a cache that's one thing, but getting upset at a subset of cachers (players using mobile devices) for the way they play and trying to make the connection that since they play that way they are less likely to place a cache and therefore contribute less is just silly.

I think the connection is that people who haven't hidden a cache don't understand the rewards of getting some good feedback/comments. Once you become a CO, and if you care about creating a good experience for others, logs that say only 'FTF', 'Sent with my blackberry', 'Found with BuilderBob', '35 of 60 today' or '.' are not motivational. They actually send a message that the cache was forgettable, uninteresting, just another notch on the belt. If the trend continues and the majority of logs have no substance, the worry is that COs who care will drop out and be few and far between.The proliferation of uninteresting, forgettable, notch-on-the-belt caches could rise as a result.

After reading this thread today, I thought of this one, and then, I scroll down, and here it was!

For those who don't want to read the other thread, basically the OP got a log on their cache that their cache had a wet logbook. Turns out that not only was the log dry (although the container needed help) but the logger had logged several caches with the same mobile-device-logged "Wet Log" was logged on several other caches.

Seems to me that logs like this, especially when people obviously aren't double-checking their logs after the fact, just leads to confusion.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

I can understand wanting feedback on a cache that's one thing, but getting upset at a subset of cachers (players using mobile devices) for the way they play and trying to make the connection that since they play that way they are less likely to place a cache and therefore contribute less is just silly.

I think the connection is that people who haven't hidden a cache don't understand the rewards of getting some good feedback/comments. Once you become a CO, and if you care about creating a good experience for others, logs that say only 'FTF', 'Sent with my blackberry', 'Found with BuilderBob', '35 of 60 today' or '.' are not motivational. They actually send a message that the cache was forgettable, uninteresting, just another notch on the belt. If the trend continues and the majority of logs have no substance, the worry is that COs who care will drop out and be few and far between.The proliferation of uninteresting, forgettable, notch-on-the-belt caches could rise as a result.

This begs the question... are uninteresting, forgettable, notch -on-the-belt caches a result of CO's growing weary of the lack of feedback, therefore placing more mundane caches, or are the logs a result of all the mundane caches being found???

I am finding locally that several new players are not putting a whole lot of thought into their new hides. Maybe because the emulate what they have found, maybe because they have no imagination. Who knows.

I will say... the phenomonal explosion of pill bottle power trails in our state (OK.) has given me pause.

I hesitate to post the previous comments as I have not hidden any caches myself. In defense, if I wanted to appease all those who would be quick to point this out, I do have at my disposal a large trash can full of film cannisters.

If a person finds that most of the logs to his/her cache are like this, I suspect that the cause is a uninspired cache, not lazy loggers.

I'm generally not a ranter. I'm pretty easy going but one thing really bugs me, logs that read only:

"Sent from my mobile device"

These come almost exclusively from cachers with no hides. I put a lot of time, effort and money into placing caches. Would it kill you to at least add, "TFTC" so I know you appreciated it? Heck, I'd even gladly take a complaint... give me something.

I feel the same way

Logged from my iPhone 4

Scubasonic

A lot of people on here remind me of my wife with the AC in the car. She gets hot and cranks it all the way, then gets cold and turns it off. Hot=full blast again. Cold=off. There is an adjustment for the fan and the temp. Just like the logs, it's not lengthy log or crappy log. You have to find the sweet spot.

I cache exclusively with my iPhone. I sometimes log with a message of "will edit", and go back later that day and type out a full log on my computer...because it's easier. I sometimes use the iphone to write my full log. It depends on the cache, and how much effort I want to put in based on how much I enjoyed the cache, but I always try! Iphone users aren't all evil. :(

I'm generally not a ranter. I'm pretty easy going but one thing really bugs me, logs that read only:

"Sent from my mobile device"

These come almost exclusively from cachers with no hides. I put a lot of time, effort and money into placing caches. Would it kill you to at least add, "TFTC" so I know you appreciated it? Heck, I'd even gladly take a complaint... give me something.

Certainly not a scientific sample, but I looked at a few of your recent hides logs. Didn't see any of the "Sent from a Mobile Device" logs. While I'm not a verbose logger myself, I wish we had the gumption to post what we REALLY feel on our logs. I can't be the only one that thinks some hides just plain suck but don't write that in a log...

I don't know if it was because of mobile phone logging or not, but I had a cache logged yesterday... and mind you, this is a very old-school ammo-can sized cache at the end of a long walk through an awesome park on high bluffs overlooking the Mississippi.... the log consisted of a colon. That's it. A single colon. I show this guy an awesome time, and he shows me his colon.

<_<

I don't know if it was because of mobile phone logging or not, but I had a cache logged yesterday... and mind you, this is a very old-school ammo-can sized cache at the end of a long walk through an awesome park on high bluffs overlooking the Mississippi.... the log consisted of a colon. That's it. A single colon. I show this guy an awesome time, and he shows me his colon.

<_<

TXH? :lol:

No, it isn't. Here's an example of one of my logs.

"Nothing of interest to see at GZ, not even cleverly hidden, just a simple way to get my number up... There really isn't much to type about, I barely needed to get out off the car... If I put my car in the right spot I could have grabbed it from inside the car...."

TFTC is more appropriate.

In my expert opinion, I think it's very average.

All joking aside. I got a TFTC only log on a cache with several favorite points, a blank note from a previous finder on a cache with several favorite points and a blank log on a cache with 3 favorites and one nice log on the same cache that had a blank found it log, all yesterday. Really pushes me towards finishing the several cache projects I have in the garage. I suppose I'll just choose to remember the one out of four, but the first impression has been made on the others.

Edited by M 5

I use my iphone to geocache, and the app DRAINS the battery big time. Sometimes I type a message while in the field, other times I choose to click the "found it" button and say little or nothing from the field, and close the app immediately. However, when I get home, I pull up the website and use the edit log feature to try to add a little bit more. I also try to add pictures if I've taken them at the cache site. I have left a few TFTC when I didn't have much to say - which may be for reasons having NOTHING to do with the cache itself, or it might be because I just wasn't inspired.

I have to admit, just like the thread starter and some of the other posters are offended by short logs, I am highly offended by the line "logs consisting only of sent from my mobile device will be deleted" in the cache description. I find that statement MUCH ruder than a finder leaving a blank message. I have decided not to go after particular caches because of it.

I researched on the Groundspeak site when I started, and read the logs from other posters on my first several finds....and what I got out of that was TFTC was rote (like a retail store employee saying thank you to every customer instead of goodbye) but quite acceptable. If you want "better logs," ask for them NICELY and don't come out in attack mode. I loved the phrase that one of the earlier posters was putting on caches about the value of longer logs. THAT'S politely educating people.

And I don't think you have to be a cache owner to appreciate logs that SAY something. I scroll through the recent logs of every cache I go looking for before I even try to look for the cache. Sometimes they give me info beyond the description that helps me decide if I want to go after that one at that time. Things such as "it was real muddy" on a log tells me that I need to stop and think about recent weather because of the cache site. If someone says they really enjoyed it, it inspires me to choose that one to go for.

I use my iphone to geocache, and the app DRAINS the battery big time. Sometimes I type a message while in the field, other times I choose to click the "found it" button and say little or nothing from the field, and close the app immediately.

This is the second time in this thread that an iPhone user mentioned logging short notes from the field and editing them later.

So I have to ask: Can't the iphone save Field Notes, which you can later turn into logs? The Android app has that option. It's a better way to communicate with the CO. When you log "found" or just a colon, the CO gets that log in an email. When you go back and edit the log, he isn't notified. Maybe he'll look at his cache page and notice your edited log, maybe not.

But if you upload a Field Note, then go back and convert it to a log, the is only notified when the actual log is submitted. His notification email will include your nicely edited message.

I use my iphone to geocache, and the app DRAINS the battery big time. Sometimes I type a message while in the field, other times I choose to click the "found it" button and say little or nothing from the field, and close the app immediately.

This is the second time in this thread that an iPhone user mentioned logging short notes from the field and editing them later.

So I have to ask: Can't the iphone save Field Notes, which you can later turn into logs? The Android app has that option. It's a better way to communicate with the CO. When you log "found" or just a colon, the CO gets that log in an email. When you go back and edit the log, he isn't notified. Maybe he'll look at his cache page and notice your edited log, maybe not.

But if you upload a Field Note, then go back and convert it to a log, the is only notified when the actual log is submitted. His notification email will include your nicely edited message.

Beat me to it. Why in the world do you have to log your caches from the field? No one was doing this for like the first 9 years of Geocaching. <_< Well, OK, I suppose you could have if you wanted to mess around with the average cell web browser for 10 minutes per cache.

I just found 15 caches on Sunday (most in one day in a long time). For me, few things in life are more funner than sitting in front of a computer with a few beers and 15 caches to log.

Sorry, but in my opinion, the tool should never be blamed. If the tool isn't doing the job, find one that will.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why it is difficult to log your finds well in the field. Mind you, I have not found an overwhelming number of caches, but after I find one I always log it. After I put the cache back, I've always taken the 2 minutes (yes that's all it takes) to post a quality log for the CO.

Out of respect to the CO, even for the much maligned LPCs, that's what we should do. I feel it is our responsibility. Maybe I feel this way because I don't feel this is a number game, rather a challenge game to find each cache.

Every log I've done is on the android app.

Once I find a lot more caches, I plan on hiding some. And if I take the effort to hide one. I expect the effort to write a better log than ":"

Edited by geekwalrus

I detest these sorts of logs, too. It seems disrespectful. I wouldn't say that any given person does not have the right to play/log as they choose, but as a general trend it really bugs me as well. I really think it's education, though. When folks create these sorts of stupid logs, are you sending them back a polite note asking for more feedback? Some will be negative or take offense, most will just ignore the request, but there will be some that simply don't understand.

As for the "logging from the field" excuse, that's just sad. I cache mostly with my iPhone, too. I mark it as found and write enough to remind me of which cache it was, and save it as a field note. The only exception is an FTF, which I will log immediately with a "more later" note, so that others know it's been found. THEN I go back and edit the log later.

<_<

Oooh. three finds in as many years. What do you expect?

I detest these sorts of logs, too. It seems disrespectful. I wouldn't say that any given person does not have the right to play/log as they choose, but as a general trend it really bugs me as well. I really think it's education, though. When folks create these sorts of stupid logs, are you sending them back a polite note asking for more feedback? Some will be negative or take offense, most will just ignore the request, but there will be some that simply don't understand.

As for the "logging from the field" excuse, that's just sad. I cache mostly with my iPhone, too. I mark it as found and write enough to remind me of which cache it was, and save it as a field note. The only exception is an FTF, which I will log immediately with a "more later" note, so that others know it's been found. THEN I go back and edit the log later.

Wow!! I think we might finally be on to something regarding the downward logging trend towards very short, acronym, or emoticon Geocache smartphone logs, not to mention "sent from my mobile device" logs (which are, for all practicle purposes, blank logs on the part of the finder).

It's the insatiable urge to log your caches from the field! I've been able to mark caches as found in my Garmin 60 series unit since I got it in 2005 (couldn't do it on my older one). Would I ever have pecked out a "tftc" if that Garmin could go on the internet and send it to Geocaching.com as a find log from the cache site? I doubt it. But that's what's happening today, to be sure. :)

I myself use a Droid cell with the Geocaching.com app and occasionally another gps compass tool but when I log, its seems no different of a post as if I would have logged on the pc. Is it just some certain apps that stick that little "hidden advertisement" in there? I do not notice it on mine. Just curious. :huh:

I was really sad when one of my most awesome containers that I just changed to an even more awesome container didn't have mention of how awesome it was. But hopefully the next finder will. Since I am a busy busy busy working mom, sometimes my only taste of caching is the hope that others found mine and I will get the blessed emails. So I cringe a little when its acrynoms, but just hope for more on the next.

Over this past weekend I got a longer log on one of my unique caches......but it was kind of mean. Technically I can delete the find since the cacher admits he didn't sign the log. My plan if for the next cacher to say how awesome it is, like the previous logs and then delete the temper tantrum.

So in reply to one of the post that says something about the trend of not so unique hides, found it logs like the one I got could put a damper on creative caches too. It bothered me, but I know for this one log, there are many cachers that do appreciate creativity, and for those times that I get a great log, it makes up for the little ones.

That's my 2 cents, probably worth about 1.25 cents these days. :D

My plan if for the next cacher to say how awesome it is, like the previous logs and then delete the temper tantrum.

Why don't you delete it now? :blink:

Well I could, but I was hoping he would see the error of his ways and change it himself. Every single other log says that they loved it. I guess I always like to think the best of people. It is rated as a 4 difficulty and the description warns people to give themselves time to sign the log unless they are smarter than the average bear. It is an ammo can under a POS in a park and ride, about 15 steps from a parking space. Very easy to find the box, but the 4 is for the puzzle box that holds the log book. One of the previous finders that bookmarked it emailed right away that I should delete it. Maybe I should and just be done with it. Sigh, I hate to be mean back, but it does bother me to have that log on my cache.

My plan if for the next cacher to say how awesome it is, like the previous logs and then delete the temper tantrum.

Well I could, but I was hoping he would see the error of his ways and change it himself. Every single other log says that they loved it. I guess I always like to think the best of people. It is rated as a 4 difficulty and the description warns people to give themselves time to sign the log unless they are smarter than the average bear. It is an ammo can under a POS in a park and ride, about 15 steps from a parking space. Very easy to find the box, but the 4 is for the puzzle box that holds the log book. One of the previous finders that bookmarked it emailed right away that I should delete it. Maybe I should and just be done with it. Sigh, I hate to be mean back, but it does bother me to have that log on my cache.

Did the finder sign the physical logbook? Does his online log include spoilers, or bad language? I don't think you can really delete his log just because you don't like it. I mean, you CAN delete his log; but chances are if he complains to The Frog it will be reinstated.

Did the finder sign the physical logbook? Does his online log include spoilers, or bad language? I don't think you can really delete his log just because you don't like it. I mean, you CAN delete his log; but chances are if he complains to The Frog it will be reinstated.

He said in the online log that he did not sign the log, and he never would. I have not checked the physical log to see if he was joking, but I don't think he was.

If I delete it, I would be a little concerned that he would smash the puzzle box in retaliation, since in his log he said that he didn't smash it just to sign the log. So I am torn between making the actual previous finders happy by deleting it, and just letting it go. I know cachers play for their own reasons and who am I to judge.

Edited by pcgeekess & carkids

I was really sad when one of my most awesome containers that I just changed to an even more awesome container didn't have mention of how awesome it was. But hopefully the next finder will. Since I am a busy busy busy working mom, sometimes my only taste of caching is the hope that others found mine and I will get the blessed emails. So I cringe a little when its acrynoms, but just hope for more on the next.

Over this past weekend I got a longer log on one of my unique caches......but it was kind of mean. Technically I can delete the find since the cacher admits he didn't sign the log. My plan if for the next cacher to say how awesome it is, like the previous logs and then delete the temper tantrum.

So in reply to one of the post that says something about the trend of not so unique hides, found it logs like the one I got could put a damper on creative caches too. It bothered me, but I know for this one log, there are many cachers that do appreciate creativity, and for those times that I get a great log, it makes up for the little ones.

I hide cool cache containers too and also love to get great logs. But this desire, or actually being sad, that your ego wasn't stroked is interesting. I mean what's worse? The crappy logs or the expectation of good logs? Just an observation, not making judgements.

I log about 50% of my caches from my phone and pretty much since I've started, I write my logs based on how memorable a cache is and my experience finding it. Some caches get, "thanks for the cache." other gets 500 words.

I've also come tithe conclusion that people leaving stupid logs via phone is going to happen and spending time thinking about it is a waste of time. if it bothers you that much, archive your caches so you dont get logs sent to you anymore. There, problem solved...

PS this was typed in via iPhone, sorry for any errors...

I hide cool cache containers too and also love to get great logs. But this desire, or actually being sad, that your ego wasn't stroked is interesting. I mean what's worse? The crappy logs or the expectation of good logs? Just an observation, not making judgements.

Opps I think I may have changed the thread. Sorry. The part that I was hoping to contribute to the thread, was that the tftc logs make me cringe, but I just hope for better logs the next time. I don't expect them as in, what we expect from our kids and the like, but I do look forward to them because I don't get to cache as much as I really want to. But yes I have a tiny bit of narcissism too. :D

I think it's a good thing when COs take pride in their cache hides. There's nothing wrong about wanting confirmation that the extra effort was worth it. Why call it "ego stroking" and in effect discourage this sense of pride? I don't get why anyone would feel that a CO who hopes for feedback that they've done a good job has a personality disorder.

He said in the online log that he did not sign the log, and he never would. I have not checked the physical log to see if he was joking, but I don't think he was.

If I delete it, I would be a little concerned that he would smash the puzzle box in retaliation, since in his log he said that he didn't smash it just to sign the log.

I am curious about which cache this is? Looking at your caches, you only have 1 mystery cache, which doesn't seem to be the puzzle box kind.

Some people seem to believe that any cache listed as a traditional should be located at the given coordinates, and it is not necessary to read the cache page before trying to find it. Apparently, it is more fun for them to not know anything about what they are looking for, so they just download coordinates and head out. These same people say that a cache that requires reading the cache page must be listed as a mystery type instead. If the cache is not located at the coordinates, they get annoyed because they were looking for no reason. Maybe he found the puzzle box, and then was annoyed that he did not have the right information to open it. I do not agree with this, so I always read the cache page.

It is pretty cool that almost all of your caches have at least one favorite point. Good work!

I think it's a good thing when COs take pride in their cache hides. There's nothing wrong about wanting confirmation that the extra effort was worth it. Why call it "ego stroking" and in effect discourage this sense of pride? I don't get why anyone would feel that a CO who hopes for feedback that they've done a good job has a personality disorder.

Have to agree with that sentiment completely. Well said.

Have to agree with that sentiment completely. Well said.

I agree 100% with taking price in your hides. My hides indicate that I do.. (in most cases). But to be sad or disappointed because of some false expectation you set for yourself on a cache that did not come to fruition to me sounds interesting. Just because I used the phrase ego-stroking, and it offends you (Lone R), does not mean that's not what it is. We all have egos.. jeez, look at these forums as a prime example.

I am curious about which cache this is?

Never mind, I found the log.

Clearly he was annoyed and did not have fun trying to open it. Maybe he did not read your page, which makes it clear that this cache will take some time to open. It is difficulty level 4, after all. If he did read your page, and then got annoyed anyway, that is his own fault. You might change this to a mystery type, if you want. I am not sure if that can be done in the system though.

On the topic: He could have written TFTC but he left a longer log! That's feedback!

Edited by kpanko

I read it. He, both of them actually, did not sign the log. I'd delete them both. But not because he said he didn't like the cache. :unsure:

Why don't you delete it now?
:blink:

I read it. He, both of them actually, did not sign the log. I'd delete them both. But not because he said he didn't like the cache. :unsure:

I'd definitely delete the logs. It's a four-star difficulty specifically because of the challenge in signing the log. They made it clear they didn't sign the log because they couldn't solve the puzzle. Delete.