Rant against mobil device logging trend

DarkZen

TFTC means Thanks For The Cache. Do you really believe that you are entitled to more than the finder's thanks?

No, definitely not entitled. It's just a matter of etiquette and preference. A written out "Thanks" would have more sincerity then a "TFTC". Are you saying that it's untrue that TFTC is often written when a finder thinks that the CO put no effort into hiding the cache so they will in turn put no effort into writing a log? I've read about this practice quite often in the forums.

This is just another example of someone reading messages insted of hearing the spoken word. When you read a message you can form any opinion you want on what the intended message was meant to say, where as on the spoken word you can hear how the intended massage was meant by manerisms and tone of voice. I too also add TNLNSL TFTC or thats all I write. Never 1 time did I mean to imply that it was a lower than standard cache. It's simply meaning Took nothing left nothing signed log. Thanks for the cache. I am just too lazy to type it all... I don't care what someone said in the log of my 2 caches hid as long as they found it.

Just had a look at one of your hides. You are getting some good feedback. Would you prefer TFTC to:

Very slick hide.

Thanks for placing and maintaining this cache for all to enjoy.

Doesn't the above post you received make you feel like you did a good job as a CO? Would TFTC have the same effect?

TFTC means Thanks For The Cache. Do you really believe that you are entitled to more than the finder's thanks?

No, definitely not entitled. It's just a matter of etiquette and preference. A written out "Thanks" would have more sincerity then a "TFTC". Are you saying that it's untrue that TFTC is often written when a finder thinks that the CO put no effort into hiding the cache so they will in turn put no effort into writing a log? I've read about this practice quite often in the forums.

This is just another example of someone reading messages insted of hearing the spoken word. When you read a message you can form any opinion you want on what the intended message was meant to say, where as on the spoken word you can hear how the intended massage was meant by manerisms and tone of voice. I too also add TNLNSL TFTC or thats all I write. Never 1 time did I mean to imply that it was a lower than standard cache. It's simply meaning Took nothing left nothing signed log. Thanks for the cache. I am just too lazy to type it all... I don't care what someone said in the log of my 2 caches hid as long as they found it.

Just had a look at one of your hides. You are getting some good feedback. Would you prefer TFTC to:

Very slick hide.

Doesn't the above post you received make you feel like you did a good job as a CO? Would TFTC have the same effect?

To me this is just a hobby (that I love) that I do in my free time. I placed the caches because I wanted to add something to this game. I'm really not out to see if I can get the most finds or the best comments. If someone is just driving by on their vacation, and find one of mine, then I don't expect them to write something more than that. I'm just happy they took the time out of their life to find something that I hid. The one you probably looked at took about 2 weeks from start to finish but I loved every min of it. I got to talk to the people who ownes the property and share the game with them. They called back and told me they would love for me to place one there so they could get more people to the park. That is why I do it.

Very slick hide.

To me this is just a hobby (that I love) that I do in my free time. I placed the caches because I wanted to add something to this game. I'm really not out to see if I can get the most finds or the best comments. If someone is just driving by on their vacation, and find one of mine, then I don't expect them to write something more than that. I'm just happy they took the time out of their life to find something that I hid. The one you probably looked at took about 2 weeks from start to finish but I loved every min of it. I got to talk to the people who ownes the property and share the game with them. They called back and told me they would love for me to place one there so they could get more people to the park. That is why I do it.

Interesting. I'm a little different, I suppose.

I plant caches so that people can have a nice time and enjoy the experience of finding the cache. In order to know that I'm providing a good experience I need the feedback. Feedback, like the log you received, confirms that the find was enjoyable. If I got only "TFTC" or "Sent with my mobile device" logs, I could only surmise that the experience for finders was not memorable and not worth writing about. I've been hiding caches since 2002, I don't mind the occasional TFTC but it's the folks that provide useful feedback that make being a CO worth it for me. Useful feedback is motivational - keeps me planting and maintaining. It's also useful for me as finder. If the cache logs only said "TFTC" or "Found it" I would skip it (because this usually indicates, at best, a ho hum cache), in favour of a cache with some useful online logs.

The "TFTC" as the sole entry in a log bothers me more than anything. When I place swag in a cache, I don't get worked up if someone's kid trades less than fairly. I am bothered by the "TFTC". Write SOMETHING about the journey, flora, fauna, SOMETHING. Make up something interesting. I can under stand TFTC for a skirt lifter or guard rail cache-n-dash but if someone took the time to find a nice place in the woods, a little more than TFTC would be appreciated.

This reply posted from my desktop dinosaur.

Posted from my Debian SID Linux 2.6.34-rc1 SMP x86_64 desktop using Iceweasel 3.5.11 and a Lenovo 104-key USB keyboard.

Now there is a REAL computer. Hopefully you're a real Debian user and (a) built your kernel from scratch and (:antenna: gloated like crazy about how fast your system did so :-)

[...he says, thinking of posting from my SheevaPlug running *buntu and gloating about its low power consumption...]

Feh. I've built unix kernels from source code (in fact, that was my job) but that was for HP-UX version 1.0 back in 1984.

This message posted from behind the red firewall.

I always try to type a unique log for each cache. But honestly, some caches like a lampshade cache don't deserve much more than TFTC. In those cases, I just say "thanks for the cache" using complete words. But yea, using initials is just being plain lazy.

Another aspect of geocaching that has really declined are the logs themselves. I found a few geocaches this week that had log books dating back to 2002. I noticed the logs from 2002 and 2003 often contained one or two paragraphs describing their experience in finding the cache. The logs from 2009 and 2010 only had a name and perhaps a TFTC note. Not a single unique WRITTEN sentence written in years in these logbooks. but I'll admit, I've been lazy also in signing logbooks also so I'm guilty on this one..... But still, just thinking about it, when is the last time you wrote a paragraph about your find using a pen besides your nickname?

Edited by gpsblake

I usually save my paragraphs for the online logging and conserve space in the log books. A lot of "books" I find couldn't hold paragraphs of me writing anyways (those little note pads for example). I'll add sentences here and there when inspired but it has to be pretty inspiring for me to do it in the paper log instead of the online log.

I always try to type a unique log for each cache. But honestly, some caches like a lampshade cache don't deserve much more than TFTC. In those cases, I just say "thanks for the cache" using complete words. But yea, using initials is just being plain lazy.

Another aspect of geocaching that has really declined are the logs themselves. I found a few geocaches this week that had log books dating back to 2002. I noticed the logs from 2002 and 2003 often contained one or two paragraphs describing their experience in finding the cache. The logs from 2009 and 2010 only had a name and perhaps a TFTC note. Not a single unique WRITTEN sentence written in years in these logbooks. but I'll admit, I've been lazy also in signing logbooks also so I'm guilty on this one..... But still, just thinking about it, when is the last time you wrote a paragraph about your find using a pen besides your nickname?

I've noticed the same decline here on the other side of the world. But then again I am guilty of the same sometimes. I tend to want to enjoy the spot rather than write a long log in a notepad that very few will ever read. I do put an effort into the online log with an average of 90 words per log. I try to write something funny or interesting or just talk about the experience. If it was rather dull then it will be a rather short log without saying anything hurtful. Whatever happens the person who placed one cache and found a few has probably contributed more than someone who has found hundreds and never placed any. Unless of course that person helps maintain caches.

On the written logs - I've come across a couple recently where there is a large (A4/letter) sized logbook in the cache and the owner has asked finders to answer a question of a philosophical nature. The first one I found had a lot of long notes in it. In the second I was about 10th to find and I was the first to answer the question!

I like to use my signature stamp and write a sentence or two. Lately it seems that the logbooks are in the box only because the site says there has to be a logbook/logsheet. More and more often I open up regular size caches to find a sheet of paper with a 100 cell table printed on one side and the "what is geocaching" info on the other side. I can't even use my 1/2" square sig stamp because it's going to take up 5 cells - I can just imagine the CO getting royally miffed that he's got to replace the sheet of paper sooner because I took up 4 extra spaces. Laziness seems to be permeating this game both by the finders and the COs. It's a lowest common denominator thing - "TFTC", "Sent by my cell phone", logsheets instead of decent logbooks where finders can right a little something.

There have been threads about this too, believe me. Somewhere in my massive array of bookcases, I have a thick logbook from a May 2004 placement, retrieved about a year ago. It's really quite amazing, the transformation from long written logs to username and date only began around 2007.

I'd say the last couple of years around here (Western NY), I find a regular with a full-sized logbook, 95% of the entries are username and date only. I am not, and never was, a lengthy paper log guy, but you're going to see at least one or two sentences from me. Which looks pretty strange among the 95% username and date only entries, I'm sure.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

There have been threads about this too, believe me. Somewhere in my massive array of bookcases, I have a thick logbook from a May 2004 placement, retrieved about a year ago. It's really quite amazing, the transformation from long written logs to username and date only began around 2007.

I'd say the last couple of years around here (Western NY), I find a regular with a full-sized logbook, 95% of the entries are username and date only. I am not, and never was, a lengthy paper log guy, but you're going to see at least one or two sentences from me. Which looks pretty strange among the 95% username and date only entries, I'm sure.

I was once accused of writing a book when I sat down to sign the logbook of a cache I found with a group. I admit that my logs in the cache haven't been as long lately. Thanks for making me think about it. There was a time when half the fun of finding the cache was reading what was written by the previous finders. It would be nice to see that again.

As someone else said, "TFTC" means Thanks For The Cache and that's exactly what I use it for. I thank every CO for the cache they've hidden. I'm not inspired to write a wondrous log for every one I find but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them hiding it. The least I can do is thank them for it.

In the grand scheme of logging, all these short logs that y'all are complaining about are in the minority. People are out playing the game, hunting & finding your hides, playing how THEY want to play, which includes how THEY want to log. It's not up to CO's to determine how other cachers log.

When it says "Logged from my mobile device," it's because they logged the find but left the message option blank in the app. The official Geocaching app on the iPhone (that I paid $10 for) places that generic message automatically if you do not write something yourself. I'm not sure about others phones/apps. So you see, it's the official app that places that canned log, not the phone & not the cacher. Those at Groundspeak who wrote & programmed the official Geocaching app are responsible. If you have such a problem with it, maybe you should take it up with them instead of complaining to us simply for using it.

Personally I think it's ridiculous that we're being told how we should log our own finds. Evidently this game is changing, some things probably for the worse, some for the better. I understand some of the frustration with certain changes because it's not always easy to accept change, but sometimes you can't stop it. Without all these smart phones, there would be a lot less new players because I'm sure there are plenty of cachers, like myself, who wouldn't be playing if it weren't for our phones. Without new players, there would be a drastic decline in new caches. I'm sure Groundspeak is thankful for the introduction of smart phones to Geocaching.

As a new Geocacher, I'm thankful the cachers in my area are more polite than what I've seen on this forum.

I see cachers cut and paste the same logs to all finds in a day (sometimes more). Does that annoy you too? Isn't that the same as spam?

Very good point! I've only been caching a month & a half and see this time & time again. People will go out & do 10, 15, 20 caches in a day and copy/paste the exact same log for each & every one of them. It's always just a generic description of what they're out doing that day but has absolutely nothing to do with each individual cache they have found. I personally don't have anything wrong with this because I say log how you want to log, but this is no more of a personal touch than a TFTC.

To say using the acronyms is due to laziness is unnecessary & just plain insulting. If all y'all have such a problem with these acronyms, I suggest you contact Groundspeak because they include them in their list of Geocaching glossary terms for everyone to learn. Not to mention 99% of all the logs I've read use them, so you guys are angry at A LOT of people. My use of them has nothing to do with laziness. One reason is that I often log from my phone and I'm not the most proficient cell phone typist so it's much easier. Also, as I've said before, EVERYONE uses them, newcomers & caching veterans alike.

As far as hand writing long logs in the physical logbooks themselves, I like to look back to past logs when I find a cache. The biggest logbooks I've seen are the small notepads and even going back 6-8 yrs., the most I've seen people write is a sentence. I don't write long logs on the paper logs because I figure I won't take up a lot of space & cause them to have to replace it sooner if we all did it.

Well let's see... $12 for an ammo box, a few more bucks for SWAG, time printing out logs and painting the ammo box, untold hours spent looking for a fantastic or unique spot to bring someone, physically lugging the ammo box out to the spot and finally spending the time to create a pleasing or fun cache page with pics. After all that someone comes out and gets another smiley, has a good adventure and probably learns something - yeah, it would be nice to know my effort has been appreciated more than just TFTC.

If it's too much work for what you consider too little "reward," why continue to hide them? The fact that someone took the time to hunt for your cache, found it & logged it (no matter what or how they logged) is what really matters.

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

I think it basically comes down the this statement that I've seen several times around here.

"Writing a good log will not make you a better cacher, but it might give you more respect from other cachers."

People can justify their poor logging all they want, but it leaves an impression none the less.

As someone else said, "TFTC" means Thanks For The Cache and that's exactly what I use it for.

To me, TFTC means I can't be bothered to actually write out "Thanks for the Cache".

In the grand scheme of logging, all these short logs that y'all are complaining about are in the minority. People are out playing the game, hunting & finding your hides, playing how THEY want to play, which includes how THEY want to log. It's not up to CO's to determine how other cachers log.

No, a CO can't demand what others write in the cache owners log, but, actually spelling out the acronym is a "nice and considerate thing to do".

As someone else said, "TFTC" means Thanks For The Cache and that's exactly what I use it for.

To me, TFTC means I can't be bothered to actually write out "Thanks for the Cache".

Sorry but some of the acronyms, including TFTC, FTF, TNLNSL have become symbols representing geocaching. In the majority of uses it is not used with ill intent. It's used to communicate that the person is part of the community and wants to identify themselves as part of the community by using niche terms that are meaningful only to geocachers.

Talk to a random muggle and they will not understand the terms.

Having said that, of course a better written log will include more than just the acronym but please, if I include TFTC at the end of a three page log don't scold me as lazy.

Sorry but some of the acronyms, including TFTC, FTF, TNLNSL have become symbols representing geocaching. In the majority of uses it is not used with ill intent. It's used to communicate that the person is part of the community and wants to identify themselves as part of the community by using niche terms that are meaningful only to geocachers.

Talk to a random muggle and they will not understand the terms.

Having said that, of course a better written log will include more than just the acronym but please, if I include TFTC at the end of a three page log don't scold me as lazy.

I definitely get that....TFTC is a type of community code. I think we can all agree that it's the logs that only consist of an acronym (or 'sent from my cell phone') that COs who put some effort into their caches, are bothered about.

As someone else said, "TFTC" means Thanks For The Cache and that's exactly what I use it for. I thank every CO for the cache they've hidden. I'm not inspired to write a wondrous log for every one I find but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate them hiding it. The least I can do is thank them for it.

When it says "Logged from my mobile device," it's because they logged the find but left the message option blank in the app. The official Geocaching app on the iPhone (that I paid $10 for) places that generic message automatically if you do not write something yourself. I'm not sure about others phones/apps. So you see, it's the official app that places that canned log, not the phone & not the cacher. Those at Groundspeak who wrote & programmed the official Geocaching app are responsible. If you have such a problem with it, maybe you should take it up with them instead of complaining to us simply for using it.

Personally I think it's ridiculous that we're being told how we should log our own finds. Evidently this game is changing, some things probably for the worse, some for the better. I understand some of the frustration with certain changes because it's not always easy to accept change, but sometimes you can't stop it. Without all these smart phones, there would be a lot less new players because I'm sure there are plenty of cachers, like myself, who wouldn't be playing if it weren't for our phones. Without new players, there would be a drastic decline in new caches. I'm sure Groundspeak is thankful for the introduction of smart phones to Geocaching.

As a new Geocacher, I'm thankful the cachers in my area are more polite than what I've seen on this forum.

First off, no one needs to "complain" to Groundspeak about nothing, be it the fact that they have a list of acronyms on their website, or they sell a Geocaching Iphone app for $10. This is a forum for discussing Geocaching. We're discussing stuff. ;)

Second off, I was going to say that no one has a problem with "TFTC" as an abbrieviation, only as an entire find log. Of course the last two posts above mine (unless another one gets posted while I'm typing this) blew that theory. ;) Yes, I like Northern Penguin will drop a TFTC on the end of a 300 word log. As a matter of fact, I almost always do it.

As far as there not being as many new players without the smart phone users, I disagree. The growth of Geocaching accounts since 2000 has been nearly exponential in nature. Yes, there really is a guy who charted this. And I covered myself by saying "nearly exponential", I don't think it quite is. So yeah, even if we were still talking on 5 pound Motorola cell phones that look like a Star Trek communicator, the growth in new accounts would still be explosive.

How do you mean the cachers in your area are more polite than this forum? You mean in online logs? No one has ever posted a "TFTC only logs are lame" note on someone's cache page? :antenna: Again, in my first paragraph, cache pages are for logging caches, not discussing Geocaching. Lots of people don't like what is said around here about many subjects, and often think many of us need to "get a life", but that's what we do. ;)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

There was a time when half the fun of finding the cache was reading what was written by the previous finders. It would be nice to see that again.

I love finding older caches, and this is part of the reason. I enjoy reading through the older logs.

Whenever I find a cache with a real logbook, rather than a log sheet, I try to write something in there about my experience finding the cache. It's hard to do this for urban caches, but then most urban caches just have a log sheet.

We only use Android phones to cache, log and navigate with. We don’t even own a GPS and do just fine. Here is how I handle my logs

LPC and other basic micros get TFTH or Something of the sort.

Anything larger or creative containers get a nice log of a few sentences.

I let the quality of the cache determine how much to write. I have logged and dropped TB on my phone, posted NM and NA logs. We have placed all three of our caches using our phones and the cords a perfect.

The problem is not Smartphone’s it’s the operators…………Just my 2 cents

We only use Android phones to cache, log and navigate with. We don’t even own a GPS and do just fine. Here is how I handle my logs

LPC and other basic micros get TFTH or Something of the sort.

Anything larger or creative containers get a nice log of a few sentences.

I let the quality of the cache determine how much to write. I have logged and dropped TB on my phone, posted NM and NA logs. We have placed all three of our caches using our phones and the cords a perfect.

Oh, I agree. Personally, I don't lift skirts in store parking lots, but I agree they "deserve" a TFTH log. I did find a rather "basic micro" in a nice park yesterday though, and although I suspect it will draw some "TFTC" logs, I didn't write one. Especially since it was their first hide, I found it on it's 2nd day, and they would probably be looking for feedback.

So yep, drive-by micros weren't always around, but once they appeared in large numbers, dropping TFTC on them has been common for a few years. But these days, any cache, even a half mile hike in the woods to a .50 ammo box, is subject to getting a log like this:

:antenna: Joe Schmuck (20 found)

tftc

Edited by Mr.Yuck

my log reflects the apparent effort by the cache owner to develop/maintain the cache. if the CO puts out a crappy hide or does not adequately maintain the hide, that will be reflected by my log. I don't say "your cache is a POS" in so many words, but my log will only have some short phrase about my attempt to find it, and no TFTC or anything. a ho-hum hide will get the log plus a TFTC. a great hide will get a much more lengthy log from me. the logs I write on the actual logbook mostly depend on the logsheet/book. If there is just a sheet gridded out for a name and date only, then that's all the CO gets. If there's a small logbook, then they might get a sentence. If there's a larger logbook, then I'll write more, but I try to keep length on paper logs to no more than half a page to be fair to later cachers.

I have a micro with a gridded sheet of paper, but everything larger than that gets a good-sized logbook for people to write in.

No, a CO can't demand what others write in the cache owners log, but, actually spelling out the acronym is a "nice and considerate thing to do".

Well that's not what TFTC means to me. I think northernpenguin said it perfectly, they're terms unique to Geocaching and we use them to identify ourselves as part of this unique group. The very 1st day I discovered Geocaching, created my account & logged on, I saw everyone using these strange acronyms and had no clue what they meant. So I took it upon myself to learn. That wasn't being lazy.

And might I point out, countless caching veterans use them as well. I say that because most of these rants in the forum always implicate newbies as being to blame for just about every complaint.

I'm a Veteran (military, not caching) and anyone who has served, or is familiar with the military at all, know they LOVE their acronyms & unique terms that sets them apart from the civilian sector. Does it mean they're lazy or not being polite & considerate by using them? No, not at all. The cooks aren't going to be offended by calling their food "chow." The Officer in charge of the Base Exchange wouldn't be insulted if you told him you enjoyed shopping at his "BX." It's simply a unique way for a particular group to communicate.

First off, no one needs to "complain" to Groundspeak about nothing, be it the fact that they have a list of acronyms on their website, or they sell a Geocaching Iphone app for $10. This is a forum for discussing Geocaching. We're discussing stuff. ;)

As far as there not being as many new players without the smart phone users, I disagree. The growth of Geocaching accounts since 2000 has been nearly exponential in nature. Yes, there really is a guy who charted this. And I covered myself by saying "nearly exponential", I don't think it quite is. So yeah, even if we were still talking on 5 pound Motorola cell phones that look like a Star Trek communicator, the growth in new accounts would still be explosive.

How do you mean the cachers in your area are more polite than this forum? You mean in online logs? No one has ever posted a "TFTC only logs are lame" note on someone's cache page? :antenna: Again, in my first paragraph, cache pages are for logging caches, not discussing Geocaching. Lots of people don't like what is said around here about many subjects, and often think many of us need to "get a life", but that's what we do. ;)

My point about the canned log is that the app designers for Groundspeak "told" it to say "Logged From My Mobile Device" if the user left the message option blank. Many of you have a problem with that canned log but people are just using the app for how it was designed. Maybe someone should suggest to Groundspeak to change the default message to "Thanks For The Cache." Would that make everyone happy? No because many CO's would still complain that we didn't write a long enough log. What is long enough anyway? I usually write 1-5 sentences. Even if it's only 1 sentence, it still gives it a bit of my own personal touch. I just don't see why CO's would insist cachers log according to their own standards. At least concede that your standards as a CO aren't equal to those of all CO's. I know for a fact that some don't mind TFTC only...many have said they just look past those & read the ones that say more.

I have a question...some of you have said you go back & delete the logs that are TFTC only or the canned app logs. Does that take away from the cachers finds count? If I log a TFTC only as my #100 find and the CO deletes it, does my count drop to 99? If so, I completely disagree with deleting logs just because the owner didn't deem them long enough. A cacher shouldn't lose that find because of how they chose to log it (aside from being rude or using adult language, something of that nature).

I'll agree with you that Geocaching would continue to grow without smart phones, I never said it wouldn't. It has done just fine for what, 8-9 years without smart phones & their apps. But I'm sure they've had a significant impact on the amount of new players.

What I meant by cachers in my area being more polite was that from the moment I started reading this forum, I see nothing but newbie bashing and blaming new cachers for every little thing. Cachers saying certain things need to be done THEIR way...not because it's necessarily the right way but just because it's their opinion & evidently think everyone should do it their way. I've been in email contact with several in my area for one reason or another (some I've contacted first, some contacted me first) and they've never had something negative to say about newcomers. I don't see them on here bashing newbies.

But these days, any cache, even a half mile hike in the woods to a .50 ammo box, is subject to getting a log like this:

;) Joe Schmuck (20 found)

tftc

So if that's how that person, or a few people, decide to log it after walking a half mile, that's their choice. In the online logs of all the caches I've found, the longer logs with a more personal touch far outnumber the short ones many of you find to be worthless. I speculate that that is true for a vast majority of caches out there. For that reason, I just don't think it's a problem. If the time comes when everyone stops logging on a personal level & just uses cookie cutter logs, then there's a problem.

What about those who simply place their own personal sticker (usually an address label) in the physical logbook? That's not even taking the time to write something by hand. Is that a problem?

Too many of you in the forum are generalizing newbies too much if you ask me. I'll bet all of you who complain about a newbie in some way will say that when you were new, you followed the rules, were polite & considerate, and did everything right. I guarantee thousands of cachers who have been at this a long time are doing the same things y'all are complaining about. I'm just tired of reading that the newbies are the problem.

Only 6 weeks in and I consider myself to be a very polite & considerate Geocacher. We respect the caches, we care for them when possible (drying/cleaning them out, etc.), we don't steal trackables, & we almost always include a personal touch to our logs to represent our adventure. I log from my phone and although I never just leave the generic LFMMD log, sometimes I do leave a TFTC only. I've explained why in past posts. That doesn't make me a bad cacher, lazy, impolite, or whatever else you claim it to mean. Someone earlier said I was being overly sensitive, but I'm not the one who has a problem with how other cachers choose to log their own finds. I won't be the one who deletes logs just because they don't fit a certain standard of length set by me. In my area, TFTC only or LFMMD are in the minority. So just enjoy the ones who do say something.

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

Oh, I agree. Personally, I don't lift skirts in store parking lots, but I agree they "deserve" a TFTH log. I did find a rather "basic micro" in a nice park yesterday though, and although I suspect it will draw some "TFTC" logs, I didn't write one. Especially since it was their first hide, I found it on it's 2nd day, and they would probably be looking for feedback.

So yep, drive-by micros weren't always around, but once they appeared in large numbers, dropping TFTC on them has been common for a few years. But these days, any cache, even a half mile hike in the woods to a .50 ammo box, is subject to getting a log like this:

:antenna: Joe Schmuck (20 found)

tftc

A perfect summary of where I stand on this topic. How did this turn into "people shouldn't cache with their phone"? That's so completely not the original point as far as I can tell. Focus on the word "trend". More and more logs REALLY SUDDENLY are now coming with no more than "logged from my mobile device".

I wouldn't mind at all if the logs on my caches all had a signature type thing at the end that said "logged using Cacheberry on my Blackberry Bold 9700" as long as that is not the only log. I agree that it could be interesting to know what people are using.

In my case very useful because it would let me know whether anybody else is using the same GPS as I am, since I have only met 1 other person in my area who uses the same one as me.

Frankly, it would also be useful so that when a cache is 100 feet away from the posted coordinates I could check the owners logs and see that they are finding caches on their iPhone and likely hiding them too, which might make me increase my search radius.

Focus on the word "trend". More and more logs REALLY SUDDENLY are now coming with no more than "logged from my mobile device".

Then it's up to those of us who solely use our phones to cache to buck the trend of canned logs. But I'm still not going to look down on anyone who does it.

If it seems sudden, it's probably because geocaching apps capable of logging online are relatively new.

Keep in mind that Geocachers who have been doing this for a few years probably introduced new trends when you/they were new that weren't well received by cachers who were playing long before.

An online log is a matter of ettiquete. Just as in real life people do things in different ways. I think a good log is a nice thank you as opposed to the under the breath, barely heard thanks of a bad log. The people that write bad logs may have plenty of other great qualities, but it's a strike against in my book. I've got friends that say ma'am and sir to their elders and friends that don't. I respect the former for that trait, but am friends with the others for different reasons. As far as newbies or vets, I wholehearteldy agree that new cachers and smartphone users are more likely to do this and other faux pas. I also know plenty of vets that copy and paste logs, especially on a heavy cache finding day. It is a lot easier and cheaper to dip your toe in the geocaching water now. That is going to automatically increase the casual cacher population. It's not as much of a commitment, at least monetarily.

Total geocaching newbie here - only one cache found so far but loved the experience.

Just a comment on the whole logging issue - as a newbie, I have tried to read a lot about geo-caching and have checked out everything on the geocaching.com site. I have not seen anything that gives pointers/guidelines for log writing. I had no idea what I should be writing. I could only go by the logs that were written on the caches I was looking into. From that, I actually thought that shorter was better. After reading this forum, I can see the hider's point of view that more information is preferable. I will keep this in mind for my future find logs.

Anyway, just a thought from a newbie to go easy - it's a learning process for all.

Thanks

Lynn

I can't believe how much effort some of you put into whining about how someone else writes a log entry. Some of us are just not very good at expressing ourselves in writing, it doesn't mean we are lazy, unappreciative, or inept at caching. If you're going to get your panties in a bunch over a stinking log entry, you should probably stop hiding caches.

I can't believe how much effort some of you put into whining about how someone else writes a log entry. Some of us are just not very good at expressing ourselves in writing, it doesn't mean we are lazy, unappreciative, or inept at caching. If you're going to get your panties in a bunch over a stinking log entry, you should probably stop hiding caches.

I can't believe someone who claims to be "just not good at expressing ourselves in writing" can log onto an online forum and bash the CO's who are simply asking (in their own way) for a little common courtesy and appreciation. Seems to me you have no problem expressing your sentiments. Just my observation.

As far as those CO's deciding to stop hiding caches, if all of them did, what exactly would you have to hunt for??

I have been absent from the game for about 8 months, and am amazed at the changes that have taken place in that short time. Just another one of those things that make you go "hmmm".

I have yet to hide any caches, so I don't have a dog in that hunt, but I appreciate the time and effort that has been put forth enabling me to play the game so far. This (and several others) thread has made me a lot more mindfull of what I post in the online log.

edit:speeling

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Oh boy! Now how do I tell my 9 year old Cub Scouts when it finally warms up that saying "Thanks" is a bad thing?

Seriously though how do you know if someone is or isn't truly thankful? If they are saying "TFTC"="Thanks for the cache" maybe they actually do mean Thanks for the a Cache.

And really how do we know what peoples lives are like and how busy they are what events led up to that short reply of TFTC that you think is so meaningless or means something worse?

Who'd have thought that saying "thank you" was thoughtless and meaningless. Cause I can assure you that when I say thank you I do mean thank you.

I even went back and changed one of my logs to spell out the thank you part. Hope they all know I meant it.

In the future i'll write better logs. But i'll have to do it from home as I am a divorced mom who can't afford a smart phone.

Oh and another poster on the thread said they used their phone to place caches. Thought we weren't supposed to do that? Probably for another thread but i'm still new. lol

Edited to add the last part

Edited by Cindyj2

I can't believe someone who claims to be "just not good at expressing ourselves in writing" can log onto an online forum and bash the CO's who are simply asking (in their own way) for a little common courtesy and appreciation. Seems to me you have no problem expressing your sentiments. Just my observation.

As far as those CO's deciding to stop hiding caches, if all of them did, what exactly would you have to hunt for??

I have been absent from the game for about 8 months, and am amazed at the changes that have taken place in that short time. Just another one of those things that make you go "hmmm".

I have yet to hide any caches, so I don't have a dog in that hunt, but I appreciate the time and effort that has been put forth enabling me to play the game so far. This (and several others) thread has made me a lot more mindfull of what I post in the online log.

I always thought saying "thank you" was common courtesy. If someone needs more praise than that, they have other issues, just my observation. I too have just returned to caching after a long break due to a serious injury and I never thought people were hiding caches because they were seeking praise, I thought they did it because it was fun. Geocaching is a game, it's supposed to be fun, remember?

I always thought saying "thank you" was common courtesy. If someone needs more praise than that, they have other issues, just my observation. I too have just returned to caching after a long break due to a serious injury and I never thought people were hiding caches because they were seeking praise, I thought they did it because it was fun. Geocaching is a game, it's supposed to be fun, remember?

Hey... I agree with you... saying "thank you" IS common courtesy. On the other hand... if you sort through the posts on this thread, you will find that much of the angst vented here is against posters who, using their mobile device, post absolutely nothing, or the tag line "sent from my mobile device." That is hardly common courtesy. I apologize if I missunderstood your complaint about "whining". I personally believe if cache owners want to be " lauded" for their hides, they should put into them what they wish to receive in return. A well thought out, well constructed, well maintained cache, or a cache that has a fantastic location, gets a lot more from me than a "power trail pill bottle/film cannister".

As I mentioned above... I am not yet a CO, so I will thank every Owner for the finds I have.

Star I did not mean to suggest CO's were seeking praise and glory, just that "something" more than what I just mentioned.

Most of the cache owners I have met, which is, btw, a small group, have related hiding caches for the simple pleasure of seeing them found, and to give something back to the game.

Many times I have posted "Thanks for the cache" without realizing it has come to be a somewhat derogatory post in some owners opinion. I did it with sincerity when I posted. Only after reading some threads here did I come to realize it had negative connotations. Even when I found caches in some "questionable" locales, I still got the thrill of the find, and said thank you.

Oh boy! Now how do I tell my 9 year old Cub Scouts when it finally warms up that saying "Thanks" is a bad thing?

Seriously though how do you know if someone is or isn't truly thankful? If they are saying "TFTC"="Thanks for the cache" maybe they actually do mean Thanks for the a Cache.

And really how do we know what peoples lives are like and how busy they are what events led up to that short reply of TFTC that you think is so meaningless or means something worse?

Who'd have thought that saying "thank you" was thoughtless and meaningless. Cause I can assure you that when I say thank you I do mean thank you.

I even went back and changed one of my logs to spell out the thank you part. Hope they all know I meant it.

In the future i'll write better logs. But i'll have to do it from home as I am a divorced mom who can't afford a smart phone.

Oh and another poster on the thread said they used their phone to place caches. Thought we weren't supposed to do that? Probably for another thread but i'm still new. lol

Yes. You're new. ;) Yeah, we all know "TFTC" stands for thanks for the cache. And includes the word "thanks". I think Sbell11 has beat that into our heads. :huh: Point is new geocacher's weren't logging caches online like that say 5 years ago, en masse. Where were all these "non-wordsmiths" back then? I certainly didn't drop any "TFTC" logs on caches when I started in 2003. What happened?

Yes. You're new. ;) Yeah, we all know "TFTC" stands for thanks for the cache. And includes the word "thanks". I think Sbell11 has beat that into our heads. :huh: Point is new geocacher's weren't logging caches online like that say 5 years ago, en masse. Where were all these "non-wordsmiths" back then? I certainly didn't drop any "TFTC" logs on caches when I started in 2003. What happened?

We put a lot of effort into our caches and we love it when the logs give more than a "TFTC" or "Sent from my blackberry", but so long as people find it and like it, that is good enough for us.

I started in 2007 and here is my first log ever, "Just bought a GPS. Took my daughters out to try it out and found it. They had alot of fun. TFTC". When I started out I looked at how other people logged their finds and found a lot of the acronyms being used. As I have grown in my caching experience so have my logs and I no longer use acronyms. I thought the whole acronym thing was kinda cool, especially when people keep posting the link to Geolex.

The way I see it, and how I experienced it, is that is what the norm is. As more and more people get into the game and see the smaller abbreviated logs, they think that's the norm. My logging techniques changed when I completed my first really fun and challenging multi. I wanted to let the owner know that I appreciated every stage of the cache and how impressed I was with all of the detail and time spent on the making of this cache. I also happened to be the "FTF" on it, not because I ran out there to do it but because I just happened to the first one to do it. Here is a link to that cache and my log is the first one.

I still maintain that this isn't the travesty some people make it out to be. I like a longer log as much as the next person, but I choose not to interpret shorter logs as an insult. I enjoy the longer logs when I get them, and disregard the others.

Yeah, ultimately you're right, and us obnoxious old-schooler's are just going to have to deal with it. Especially since it came out a few weeks ago on the feedback forum that the support of totally blank logs was intentional, and the CEO went on to say that "found it" was enough if people didn't want to leave a "verbose" log. Then on top of that, he made a wisecrack on Twitter within a few days to a European cacher who questioned the policy!! :)

There's a new Geocaching website that came out on the scene in August, and no, it isn't owned by Garmin, although it has a similar name. :ph34r: When you go to the post a log entry page, they have this disclaimer staring you right in the face. I rather like it:

Please share your thoughts about this cache. Simply saying "TFTC" isn't very helpful to others who may want to know what you thought about your find. Share some details and be sure to thank them!

I started Geocaching in 2007 with a friend. When he was showing me how to log finds and fill in the logs, he specifically told me that we should always be adding TFTC, and a reference to whether or not we took anything TNLN. Along with these i should add a time of find. But that was it.

I'm just restarting caching on my own (the friendship didn't last and with no GPS i couldn't cache in the interim) if i hadn't seen this thread i would never have known that the above was actually considered bad form when writing a log, and would have carried on writing them this way, because i was under the impression that this was the accepted norm.

If cache owners expect more details on logs I would find it really helpful to have a guide (maybe in the FAQ section) that tells me (and other newbies) what we should be writing, maybe something very brief with bullet points that could be printed off and carried in your caching bag. Or maybe the cache owner could put a brief note in the description saying if you have the time please leave a longer log, saying what you liked/disliked about the cache, how easy/hard you found it, what your impressions of the area were, etc. I dunno whatever you want people to talk about.

I'm a writer and photographer so things I always have with me are a compact didgital camera (and often my DSLR), an A6 notebook, and a handful of pens.  If i knew what cache owners wanted i would quite happily get my notebook out after finding each cache and scribble a few notes to type up into a log when i got home, maybe take some pictures.

But with pictures i'm never sure what it's acceptable to show in a photograph taken at the cache site (but that's another topic)!!

So please don't generalise that we're lazy cachers just becasue we post an abbreviated log, it might simply be that we didn't know any better even after reading all the guides and things. As to deleting a log that just has TFTC, i would be really upset if someone did this to me, i think (like someone said they do) you should at least email the person who logged the find and explain that you'd like to know a little more about their find, at least give them the chance to edit the log before deleting it.

Edited by wicca303

Sorry if anyone thinks my style of logging is not expressive or grateful enough... but here's how it usually works out for me:

1) Sometimes, I hit the "send" button by accident before I've finished (or even entered) the log. I usually fix those when I get home.

2) At a minimum, I simply state that I signed the log. If there's nothing unusual about the cache or location, there's really not that much to say. As an urban cacher I come across an awful lot of nanos -- so that happens a lot.

3) Interesting locations, clever containers, good hides, etc... and I write more. Sometimes I'll add a picture, too.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Sorry if anyone thinks my style of logging is not expressive or grateful enough... but here's how it usually works out for me:

1) Sometimes, I hit the "send" button by accident before I've finished (or even entered) the log. I usually fix those when I get home.

2) At a minimum, I simply state that I signed the log. If there's nothing unusual about the cache or location, there's really not that much to say. As an urban cacher I come across an awful lot of nanos -- so that happens a lot.

3) Interesting locations, clever containers, good hides, etc... and I write more. Sometimes I'll add a picture, too.

I've posted to about 20 threads on this topic, and I'm sure anyone familiar with my opinion thinks I post the same things over and over. But Yes, I agree, a lamo "for the numbers" urban hide deserves a one word, acronym, or emoticon log in most cases. Personally, I don't do those type of caches, so I don't have that problem. Of course I'm sure I said that last month. :lol:

I started Geocaching in 2007 with a friend. When he was showing me how to log finds and fill in the logs, he specifically told me that we should always be adding TFTC, and a reference to whether or not we took anything TNLN. Along with these i should add a time of find. But that was it.

I'm just restarting caching on my own (the friendship didn't last and with no GPS i couldn't cache in the interim) if i hadn't seen this thread i would never have known that the above was actually considered bad form when writing a log, and would have carried on writing them this way, because i was under the impression that this was the accepted norm.

If cache owners expect more details on logs I would find it really helpful to have a guide (maybe in the FAQ section) that tells me (and other newbies) what we should be writing, maybe something very brief with bullet points that could be printed off and carried in your caching bag. Or maybe the cache owner could put a brief note in the description saying if you have the time please leave a longer log, saying what you liked/disliked about the cache, how easy/hard you found it, what your impressions of the area were, etc. I dunno whatever you want people to talk about.

I'm a writer and photographer so things I always have with me are a compact didgital camera (and often my DSLR), an A6 notebook, and a handful of pens.  If i knew what cache owners wanted i would quite happily get my notebook out after finding each cache and scribble a few notes to type up into a log when i got home, maybe take some pictures.

But with pictures i'm never sure what it's acceptable to show in a photograph taken at the cache site (but that's another topic)!!

So please don't generalise that we're lazy cachers just becasue we post an abbreviated log, it might simply be that we didn't know any better even after reading all the guides and things. As to deleting a log that just has TFTC, i would be really upset if someone did this to me, i think (like someone said they do) you should at least email the person who logged the find and explain that you'd like to know a little more about their find, at least give them the chance to edit the log before deleting it.

Here is one of the things that we always run into when this comes up. I can only answer from my own point of view as a cache owner.

I don't expect anything. I do, however, appreciate when a finder puts a bit more effort into a log than just tagging it with the abbreviated list of facts. The site says, in part, "Share your geocaching stories and photos online." That is usually what I try to do. It doesn't take a novel. Just a line or two describing your adventure. "I enjoyed the hike to this one. The ducks were on the pond and it made for a great view with the sun coming up between the trees. TNLNSL TFTC" short yet sharing.

There is no formula for a great log. If you lay them out to fill some bullet list they will still end up being just a list. Try to share what you felt about your adventure. Let us know if something interesting happened along the way.

Not every cache inspires a great log. Some are spectacular in some way. These get the best logs and rightly so in my opinion. Most are average, stands to reason, and they deserve a few words. Doesn't mean you have to right a book, but give a little something back to the CO for sharing the experience with you. Other caches don't need anything. Most "numbers" type caches can get a TFTC without the CO thinking they have been slighted. They know they hid a cache designed to be "23 of 100 for the day".

This doesn't need to be limited to found logs either. Some of the best logs I have seen were for DNFs.

So no, there is no one way to write a log. No magic formula. Just share your own thoughts to the best of your ability. Inspire a cache owner to keep inspiring your logs. We will end up with better caches for all of us to find. :D

We don't need the praise, but a short bit about the cache condition would be nice. How about putting something in the log for the next seeker, so they can decide if the cache is worth their time and effort? If you see a comment about the cache being good for the kiddies maybe you would rather pass on that one, or if you have a family that caches together then it would be a good choice to seek. Maybe there is something else at the cache site that could use a comment or two, or a heads-up for the next person.

The whole idea behind the logs is to offer something for the next person who reads the logs when trying to determine if they want to look for that cache. It is Not about praise for the cache owner. It is to let others know what you thought about the cache.

wboosw?

John

----------------------

wboosw - why bother offering others something worthwhile

ha ha love it! Am imagining all these geocaching mincing around with their knees tightly held together due to those bunched panties...

Ok, I use a smartphone to do my geocaching (usually that in one hand any my faithful old Garmin in the other!)and I log it all on my smartphone now, as that way I don't forget the salient points of each cache I have visited. I like to TFTC and TNLN (if that be the case, which it mostly is) of course, but I also like to say a few sentences about the location I have been drawn to...I like to write something that shows others what I thought was cool about the area (the exploration side is what I love...ok and the shiny trackables I might find too!) and also to tell the person who laid the cache that I thought it was a brilliant hide (some people are very ingenious with their camo!). My smartphone can tend to do some funny predictive text "fails" so when i get to a PC I then check my logs for the day and make corrections or additions. I do take the time to do this, however I can see that if I was on a geocaching "bender" and trying to get 10 bilion caches knocked over in half a day, I would probably abbreviate my logging significantly! There are people out there who I see love the Geocaching Benders and try and see how many they can knock over in a day and their logs are necessarily short...I have no problem with that, as that is how THEY play the game! Me, I like to do a handful on a day, spend the time checking out the area I have been drawn to (there are some awesome places I've been to and would not without geocaching!) and during that checking out I do like to log my find with some detail; for my own memory as much as for the people who set the cache and also the people who are about to find it too!

I'm generally not a ranter. I'm pretty easy going but one thing really bugs me, logs that read only:

"Sent from my mobile device"

These come almost exclusively from cachers with no hides. I put a lot of time, effort and money into placing caches. Would it kill you to at least add, "TFTC" so I know you appreciated it? Heck, I'd even gladly take a complaint... give me something.

Please don't take this negatively as it isn't meant that way but a few things about your post really bug me. One, placing or not placing a cache has no bearing on how someone logs a cache. Mobile apps and GPS enabled cell phones have brought this game to a wider audience, myself included. If anything you should be thankful for that, more people looking for caches and eventually more people placing caches for others.

Two, It's wonderful that you put so much effort into placing caches, thank you. If more people put as much effort into it we would have a lot of high quality caches.

Three, From the sound of your post it appears to me at least that you're placing caches for the "kudos" that comes from a well placed cache and you're upset because people are logging from a mobile device and not giving you those kudos. If that is the case you may not want to place any more caches as it sounds like you're doing it for the wrong reason.

I can understand wanting feedback on a cache that's one thing, but getting upset at a subset of cachers (players using mobile devices) for the way they play and trying to make the connection that since they play that way they are less likely to place a cache and therefore contribute less is just silly.

We cache with a GPS and our smartphone. When we found a cache, we log on our phone (not online, but to a fieldnote). That log includes a Timestamp and TFTC (if found). If there was something special about the cache I write down some keywords to help me remember. Our online logs mostly consist of what we did the entire day + something specific on the cache. Big logs in the actual logbook don't happen alot around here, so we don't do that either