Rant against mobil device logging trend

DarkZen

I agree :D ......I always look forward to reading posts from people that find my hides.

I'm thinking of starting to log my finds like this......

Sent from my home GateWay PC using Windows XP. :anitongue:

That won't impact your intended audience unless they've placed caches.

You should be placing caches that this as the description text:

Placed with my mobile device

I had no idea that my smartphone added the footer "Sent from my xyz phone provided by verizon" until I received a reply to an email I had sent from the phone and for whatever reason, actually scrolled down to the bottom of the message and saw it. Took me another few days to figure out how to remove it and add my own signature line.

Point being, could be that there are some people who are just unaware that the phone does this? I don't know what the iPhone app looks like, but I do know that when I was a new user of my phone I sure didn't know what it was doing until several months after I got it and had been using it. :D

I try to write decent logs for the caches I find. I would like people to do the same for me. I believe in doing unto others, so I try to be a good logger. I have never tried to log from my phone (I don't like the way the fields don't line up on the screen) so I prefer to make notes while at the cache site and then log them all once I'm home, on the laptop.

mm72

FWIW, the phone app logging bug that caused all the duplicates seems to have been fixed. I was able to successfully post a log without an error yesterday.

We ran into an issue with the iPhone app today that assigned our post from the previous find to our NEXT find, double posting on that next find (and not posting at all on the previous one).

And I have no animosity towards that glitch - it's AMAZING that this technology works as well as it usually does.

Fortunatley the CO of the second find caught our double-post right-away and alerted us via-email so we could fix the double-posting situation.

We still felt like goofs, but this part of the thread makes me feel like less of a goof.

Getting back on the topic of the thread... sure, we wrote terse logs, but we worked to make them relevant. All of our logs today were personalized with an ear towards the 'golden rule' of what the CO wants to hear and the next cacher ought to hear.

I think that a simple "TFTC" is reserved for only the least inspired caches, and, going forward, even in those situations we are going to try really hard to eliminate that short a log from our geo-vocabulary.

Edited by dnfu

I use a 8900 RIM and i tag it as found, and then use a notepad on my cell to make a remminder to myself.

Get home and then fill out the logs :D

The sent from cells kinda seem lame i think :anitongue:

I think 25% of the fun is telling "my story" of how i kept going on the wrong side of the path, or how i was dodging the muggles, or how i almost fell and died :anitongue:

The other 25% is the loot and 50% is bragging that i have more finds than person X

I agree :sad: ......I always look forward to reading posts from people that find my hides.

Sent from my home GateWay PC using Windows XP. :(

I'd do that, but unfortunatly, computers are obsolete after two years.

Sent from my home built PIII, 3.2 dual, running XP3, with 4G RAM, (and no swap file)

I log all my finds from my phone... since I'm there, and it's fresh on my mind. o_o

Luckily my app doesn't seem to tack on "sent from my phone/mobiledevice/any other tag"

Sometimes my logs ARE very short, but if the cache was just...yet another random cannister hidden in a bush in an empty field, (which there are LOTS of here,) it's sometimes hard to think of more to say than "thanks for the cache!" or tftc.

If I see something worth commenting about a hide, I will. Neat/unique cannisters ALWAYS get a comment from me. If I had a bad day and the cache was a huge pick-me-up, I'll say so. If it's in a beautiful or interesting area I can comment on, I will.

If I found something neat in there, and left something, I'll say so.

But if there's really nothing I can do except say I didn't take or leave anything, and thank the owner for the cache... personally that's a lot better than nothing. I don't want to sit there and try to force myself to artificially lengthen a log when there's....really not much to say about the cache in question.

This is exactly how I feel. I've done all of my logs from my iPhone, because it is fresh on my mind. I have a horrible memory and if i were to wait till i get home to log them all you would end up with is TFTC, because i wouldn't be able to differentiate between the 10 caches i did that day. I don't think this is a problem with people logging from mobile apps, its a problem with the peoples logs themselves. If they were to go to a computer you would probably get the same type of log.

This all said in the mindset that the people in question do know how to use their app fully. If they don't know how to work the app, then they aren't being rude, just ignorant :laughing:

The more I read about other mobile apps, the more I realise GCzII is awesome! GCzII used to have that "logged from GCzII" default, but it was removed early in the development. The developer realized how lame it was. Now that it does not have a default, the user must entere a log. Of course, just like the web entry, the user could just put a period, but now that is a lazy user issue, not a noob who doesn't know any better.

Anyway, here is my take: Some users are lazy, some aren't. 95%+ of my logs are done from my phone. I think if you audit my logs, you will see they are better that average. I only use a desk top/ laptop computer for logs for all day hike type caches. These logs are very long and have links to GPSed.com track logs etc. Those would be just too tedious to do on a mobile.

Written on my Windows Mobile Phone.

A local cacher took it upon herself to write the following HTML snippet and put it at the bottom of her cache pages. Despite our pessimism that "it would actually require the finders to read the cache page" she found that her problems almost all went away. So I did likewise and also have found that things have improved. I even saw one log get edited from a TFTC to a meaningful log describing the fun they actually had in a tricky find and an honest thanks for placing it. The snippet looks like this:

<p style="border: 1px solid black; padding: 15px;"><b>Logging Etiquette:</b> Geocache hiders sometimes go through a great deal of planning to place their caches. As a result, they'd like to hear your feedback on whether you liked or disliked any aspect of the hide, or if you feel that some cache maintenance is required.

Single word, acronym, or emoticon logs may be easier when you have a lot of caches to log, but it doesn't tell the hider or other finders anything about your adventure (or lack thereof) in finding the cache. Please keep this in mind when entering your log.</p>

No threats, no accusations - just a request. Education. Seems to work.

i think its just a matter of lazy people not so much the fault of the phone.

i log from my phone all the time but i always erease the auto tag like saying i logged from blackberry. i think a log should be an account of the time you had with your find. if the hide stinks or is boring and un-inventive i just put a quick one liner. if its a great hide i make sure the person knows about it.

i have only 4 hides and most logs are rather extensive because i put alot of time effort into making the cache.

if you put no time into as cache and toss plastic box in the woods i dont think you can expect people to put time into talking about it.

i find in most cases an interesting cache will generate interesting logs. not always but most of the time

Edited by Ampresearch

if i were to wait till i get home to log them all you would end up with is TFTC, because i wouldn't be able to differentiate between the 10 caches i did that day.

I used to have that problem. Then I realized that there's nothing fun about finding a bunch of nearly-identical caches, and I got more selective about my searching. Now, if I find 10 caches in a day, there's something unique about each one. If I got to the end of a 10-cache day and couldn't think of anything to say about any of them, it would have been a very bad day.

I agree :D ......I always look forward to reading posts from people that find my hides.

Sent from my home GateWay PC using Windows XP. :D

That won't impact your intended audience unless they've placed caches.

You should be placing caches that this as the description text:

Placed with my mobile device

I am so doing this. CYA. :laughing:

These come almost exclusively from cachers with no hides. I put a lot of time, effort and money into placing caches. Would it kill you to at least add, "TFTC" so I know you appreciated it? Heck, I'd even gladly take a complaint... give me something.

Thanks for making me feel like I don't deserve to play this game simply because I don't have any hides. It's nice to know there's yet another thing I'm looked down upon for. I can add non cache owner & mobile phone app user to the list.

This is just what happens with users that don't know how to use the software.

The menu option is called "Post a Log/Field Note." The problem is that the default style is to post as log and if you don't actually type a log, you get that generic "sent from mobile device" message. All they have to do is change it to "Submit As Field Note" (and once it's changed, it sticks) to remind them of the find and then type the actual log when they get to a computer.

Dunno why it's so confusing, but apparently it is.

Or maybe the mobile user actually wanted to post it as a log and NOT as a field note and just didn't bother to leave a message/log. Don't assume everyone who does it this way is too ignorant to use the software.

I've seen a few of the 'logged from my mobile device' on a couple of my caches, too. It's not much different from TFTC, which I read as 'I'm too busy to even spell out the words.' (this is why you'll never see me in a TFTC t-shirt)

I check the finders to be certain it isn't a bot, but haven't deleted any. Perhaps it's the video game mentality - Has anyone every thanked Mario for entertaining them or Sonic for collecting all those rings? I know from experience that online-gamers tend to abbreviate even abbreviations and develop their own lingo.

It is worth pointing out to them, by way of email, that this is a social game and cache owners do have feelings, even if Mario and Sonic do not.

In regards to acronyms, I did not start using them here because I'm a video gamer or because I'm lazy. Yes I did grow up playing video games (old enough for it to have been Atari & eventually NES) but I despise the current texting generation's use of short-hand for everything. The reason I started using Geocaching acronyms was because I figured that was the accepted lingo. I'll continue to use it because it's what I'm used to, regardless of how some of you may feel.

Ok someone sent me this and i see what it is i do understand that yea that comments are great but its not like i tell people you have to and alot of the time when im out caching i use my blackberry and its a app that i paided for to have on my phone and it just says that it was found using a app or something like that i guess some people can't be happy that people are taking time out to get out and have fun but you want them to sit at a computer and type something in for each comment i try that but sometimes i'm busy when i'm home don't try to be on here that much so guys please i don't under stand why its a big deal if someone leaves a comment i thought that if someone found your cache that was good enough i guess not!

I agree.

I can't believe this is even an issue. I keep reading that this is a social game, yet people insist on putting themselves on a pedestal & insulting the ones who play this game differently. These people aren't stealing TB's/GC's and keeping them. They're not trashing caches. They're just playing the game & not logging their finds in a way YOU would prefer. It's not that big a deal. It doesn't mean the hides aren't appreciated.

For those of you who said you're not satisfied with a simple "TFTC," keep in mind that the original poster said that was acceptable to him.

The fact that you may have hidden caches doesn't make you better than those who only hunt for them. Someone mentioned that cache owners have feelings...well so do those who don't own them. The more I read, the more I see people set themselves apart from "newbies" or non-cache owners or someone who doesn't post a big enough log or uses acronyms. Not very social if you ask me. Every single Geocacher here was a newbie at some point, people tend to forget that. I think it's nitpicking to get mad at someone for not posting a log that doesn't meet your own standards. Enjoy the ones who write a little more about their adventure & look past the ones you don't deem satisfactory. We're all different...we play differently, we log differently, we view caches differently. I use my iPhone to cache and usually log something pertaining to my experience with any given cache, but there are times when I just don't have anything to say so all I might log is TFTC.

The fact that you may have hidden caches doesn't make you better than those who only hunt for them. Someone mentioned that cache owners have feelings...well so do those who don't own them. The more I read, the more I see people set themselves apart from "newbies" or non-cache owners or someone who doesn't post a big enough log or uses acronyms. Not very social if you ask me. Every single Geocacher here was a newbie at some point, people tend to forget that. I think it's nitpicking to get mad at someone for not posting a log that doesn't meet your own standards. Enjoy the ones who write a little more about their adventure & look past the ones you don't deem satisfactory. We're all different...we play differently, we log differently, we view caches differently. I use my iPhone to cache and usually log something pertaining to my experience with any given cache, but there are times when I just don't have anything to say so all I might log is TFTC.

I read your whole post with great interest, although I snipped most of it out, as I really don't like quoting 10 paragraph's of text. Most of it wasn't yours of course, with all the quoting. But I only wanted to respond to the last paragraph here anyways.

Yes, we were all newbies, but we didn't storm in like bulls in a china shop (and clueless bulls at that) with thousands of "TFTC" or "Logged from my mobile device" logs, which suddenly appeared out of nowhere about a year ago. Heck, I've received 3 double find logs on my caches in two days, one of them blank, and one of them "TFTC". This is all kind of a shock, ya' know? :laughing:

It's also tough for us to be "social", and "educate", when many of these people don't even log on to the website with a computer. I sent out a "you logged my cache twice" email to someone a couple of days ago, with no response. I'll be deleting that 2nd one after a week has elapsed. The two logs were "tftc" and "bug drop".

Sorry if we seem insensitive of snobbish, but it's a major change to the game for us cache owners, which happened suddenly, and with no warning. Not the first time I've seen it. Hundreds of thousands of clueless Web-TV and AOL users were once upon a time suddenly unleashed on usenet message boards. And even after years went by, the ones that stuck around still never did "get it". :D

I'd like to see a special icon for writing a unique log over 50 words. Every full online log would increase the icon count on the profile by 1, if that was possible. :unsure:

Pretty easy to automate that. You'll get logs full of "lorem ipsum" or simply "Blah blah blah blah ..... blah TFTC"

There is not really anything that can be done except modifying the mobile devices to reject blank logs. I suspect the official apps throw in the "Logged from a mobile device" type default to keep the helldesk calls down from the mobile app userbase.

Yes, we were all newbies, but we didn't storm in like bulls in a china shop (and clueless bulls at that) with thousands of "TFTC" or "Logged from my mobile device" logs, which suddenly appeared out of nowhere about a year ago. Heck, I've received 3 double find logs on my caches in two days, one of them blank, and one of them "TFTC". This is all kind of a shock, ya' know? :unsure:

It's also tough for us to be "social", and "educate", when many of these people don't even log on to the website with a computer. I sent out a "you logged my cache twice" email to someone a couple of days ago, with no response. I'll be deleting that 2nd one after a week has elapsed. The two logs were "tftc" and "bug drop".

Sorry if we seem insensitive of snobbish, but it's a major change to the game for us cache owners, which happened suddenly, and with no warning.

I understand what you're saying. In a way, you're used to the "old school" ways of this game. Are all of the acronyms fairly new when it comes to logging caches? When I joined last month, I saw EVERYONE using all these acronyms so I took the time to research. I found that there was a whole section dedicated to Geocaching glossary terms, to include all of the acronyms, so it's obviously a wide-spread method of logging. Since EVERYONE used them, I figured it was the preferred & accepted method of logging. Granted, 9 times out of 10 I add more to my logs than just a simple TFTC or TNLN, but if you don't that's your choice.

You mention you (long-time Geocachers) weren't "clueless" when you were newbies. I don't quite understand what you mean by that. So present day newcomers are clueless but when you were new, you were already well versed in the art of this game? It's a learning process for everyone...some just choose to educate themselves more than others. But I understand it can be frustrating when it comes to those who don't learn & apply what they learn.

It is the age of the smart phone as well as the age of apps. They're here to stay until something better comes along. Maybe in 5-10 years, people will be complaining about the "Logged from my brainwaves" logs. B)

I fell victim to the apparent bug about a week ago that caused many of us app users to inadvertently post multiple logs. I didn't know it till I got home & logged on from my computer, then saw 10-15 logs on a single find and a few more on another one. I'm the type of guy who hates clutter, so I deleted the extras.

I can't help but get an unwelcome feeling just because we use mobile apps instead of a hand-held gps. My iPhone serves its Geocaching purpose well, so I don't see myself buying a gps unit anytime soon. I just don't see the point in getting all worked up over short logs or canned logs from apps. I thoroughly enjoy reading other logs in the ones I find and I scan right past the canned logs or TFTC's. I plan to eventually hide my own caches and I know I'll enjoy reading everyone's experiences, but I won't be offended if they don't log 50 words or more.

Read my logs from the field. Stop picking on mobile phone cachers.

Logged from my BlackBerry using Geocaching Navigator by Trimble

I am not picking on any one. I don't like logs reading like spam.

Here's one form one of my hides

(Found and logged with my new android incredible using the c:geo app. This is a pretty good free app for geocaching)

There are places to discuss the gear you are using so there is no need to do so in the logs

No matter what you are using.

So if my logs had that tag line you'd be annoyed?

Are you annoyed at the tag line, the short logs or just mobile phone users?

I like knowing who is using their mobile phones to cache. But that's just because smartphones are a hobby of mine.

I wouldn't mind if every GPS left a tag line. Interesting seeing what everyone is using!

I don't understand why COs get so upset and fussy about what's in the OL logs. Isn't the most important thing that seekers are having fun walking to, search for, and finding your cache?

Why get annoyed at a TFTC? Or a cell phone tag? They still found the cache and had fun!

So if my logs had that tag line you'd be annoyed?

To answer you and the others expressing that same sentiment, no. My OP reads:

I'm pretty easy going but one thing really bugs me, logs that read only:

"Sent from my mobile device"

I have no problem with SFMMD as a tag to a real log.

SeekerOfTheWay: I don't understand why COs get so upset and fussy about what's in the OL logs. Isn't the most important thing that seekers are having fun walking to, search for, and finding your cache?

Why get annoyed at a TFTC? Or a cell phone tag? They still found the cache and had fun!

Well let's see... $12 for an ammo box, a few more bucks for SWAG, time printing out logs and painting the ammo box, untold hours spent looking for a fantastic or unique spot to bring someone, physically lugging the ammo box out to the spot and finally spending the time to create a pleasing or fun cache page with pics. After all that someone comes out and gets another smiley, has a good adventure and probably learns something - yeah, it would be nice to know my effort has been appreciated more than just TFTC. When I start placing LPHs I'll accept any log I get. Happily. As DragonsWest noted upthread:

DragonsWest: And when that becomes the dominant mode of logging then cache hiders will adopt the stance: "Meh. Why should I go through all the effort to hide a cache and compose a page for that rubbish?" and the game goes with a whimper.

TL&MinBHIL: Thanks for making me feel like I don't deserve to play this game simply because I don't have any hides. It's nice to know there's yet another thing I'm looked down upon for. I can add non cache owner & mobile phone app user to the list.

That's reading quite a lot into what I said. You are being a bit over-sensitive. I never said that I believed any certain group doesn't deserve to play this game. The bit about 'cachers with no hides' refers the fact that I notice cachers who send in multi-sentence logs from the field with the LFMMD as a tag turn out to be cache placers as well. The logs that have only LFMMD tend to have no caches hidden. Sorry, it's just a fact. I have a feeling when you hide a cache yourself I think you'll understand a bit more. And next time please don't parse my posts.

SeekerOfTheWay: Then the title of the thread is wrong and the OPs anger is misplaced. It's not all, or even most, mobile phone users doing that. It seems there is an anger towards mobile phone users. I've seen many threads on it since I joined.

Wrong on both accounts. The title of the OP is correct: This is a rant against the trend of mobile loggers of not actually typing a log, instead just sending in the default message. I could care less if the SFMMD tag is on it or not. There is no anger towards mobile phone users at all. Since I got my iPhone I rarely hunt for caches with my GPSr.

i do.

nobody cares what you used to write your log. so why put that tag there? it's nothing more than spam.

it's the same with email really. "sent from my iphone." really, who cares?

Edited by dfx

Well let's see... $12 for an ammo box, a few more bucks for SWAG, time printing out logs and painting the ammo box, untold hours spent looking for a fantastic or unique spot to bring someone, physically lugging the ammo box out to the spot and finally spending the time to create a pleasing or fun cache page with pics. After all that someone comes out and gets another smiley, has a good adventure and probably learns something - yeah, it would be nice to know my effort has been appreciated more than just TFTC.

I understand where DarkZen is coming from, especially because TFTC has come to mean "I wasn't impressed with your cache". It's often been said in the forums that if you can't say something nice say "TFTC".

Interesting thread. Certainly gc has changed over the years, not all for the better.

I don't have all that many caches still active anymore, part of the reason is some were lame, some were difficult for me to maintain, and some just didn't hold my interest or that of cachers based on logs, so when they needed maintenance they were picked up and archived. A few caches were stolen as were all but one of the travel bugs and geocoins I have put out. Maybe 30 or so, don't really keep track. This has gotten progressively worse over the years. All of that has probably influenced how I handle TFTC and 'Sent from my mobile device' logs.

When I get a TFTC only log, I look at how the person logs other caches and what kind of logs I typically get on that cache. If TFTC is his/her MO and fairly new, I email and explain that a longer log, good or bad, would be more appreciated by me and every cache owner I know. I get everything from being ignored to I'm an a**hole. Fine, just give me a log so I know you were really there. When ignored I've even sent a second request for a changed log. I give them a week or so and then delete the log if no response. If I get a changed log, log stands.

If it is a random TFTC only and the finder says more in other logs, okay, I get the message, he/she didn't like my cache. No problem, I do that myself. Log stands.

'Sent from my mobile device' (only) used to always get an email worded however I felt might get a positive response-- educating new cachers being the most common. But that is far to common so now I just delete the log and let them figure it out. Most don't even relog or ask why I deleted the log.

It might sound like I delete a lot of logs, but actually most situations get worked out. As a cache owner I read every log. I would like something that gives me a reasonable feeling that the finder actually found the cache and signed the log. I generally spot check logs during maintenance or if a real question comes up. If you hit 5 countries & 16 states in one day and include a really nice log on one of mine, your log is probably toast. If I can help a new cacher get going on better logs, everyone wins. I often go back over old cache logs I made years ago and they provide some good memories. If people are logging only TFTC or 'Sent from my mobile device' I suspect they will regret that down the road if they stay with gc.

I like the post suggesting "TFTC- placeholder" if in fact that what it turns out to be. Great idea, especially in a FTF hunt. I rarely log immediately from my phone, but will use that when I get a FTF. It's nice to let everyone know that FTF is gone.

GCQJG6.

Four logs from same nick with the same message.

That EASILY could be the known bug in the official Android app where when you're in a low cell strength area it logs multiple times. Extremely frustrating for the user, who has no idea the app has run amok.

Has happened to me many times...and it's REALLY hard to clean up the extra logs. My experience is that I had to use a web browser on a non-phone computer to delete the extra logs. Ugh.

So the offending user might be more victim than offender in this case.

This reply posted from my desktop dinosaur.

Posted from my Debian SID Linux 2.6.34-rc1 SMP x86_64 desktop using Iceweasel 3.5.11 and a Lenovo 104-key USB keyboard.

Now there is a REAL computer. Hopefully you're a real Debian user and (a) built your kernel from scratch and (:unsure: gloated like crazy about how fast your system did so :-)

[...he says, thinking of posting from my SheevaPlug running *buntu and gloating about its low power consumption...]

Now there is a REAL computer. Hopefully you're a real Debian user and (a) built your kernel from scratch and (:laughing: gloated like crazy about how fast your system did so :-)

yes and yes and yes, well, except for that last part B)

but seriously, you're not helping to prove my point how nobody cares about what you use to write your posts or logs :unsure:

I might add that I tend to rant against mobil device logging too.

And Exxon device logging.

But not Sunoco device logging.

(sorry - too many years of nuns beating spelling into me :-)

Cute, but I did get it right in the body so it's obvious that I didn't tap the key hard enough when ranting from my mobile device.

:unsure:

nobody cares what you used to write your log.
Apparently somebody does care:
I like knowing who is using their mobile phones to cache. But that's just because smartphones are a hobby of mine.

I wouldn't mind if every GPS left a tag line. Interesting seeing what everyone is using!

i do.

nobody cares what you used to write your log. so why put that tag there? it's nothing more than spam.

it's the same with email really. "sent from my iphone." really, who cares?

I care. I want to know who is using their smartphone to cache. Smartphones is an interest and a hobby just like geocaching.

Like I said, I like the tag line and knowing who is using a smartphone. To each their own. I don't get annoyed at anything my logs say.

And yes, I have an ammo can stocked full of swag (Explore Lemon Bay Park!) that I ALSO had to get a permit for. If someone wants to log TFTC or Sent from my mobile phone or :unsure:...I'm ok with that. They had fun with it, made the effort to hunt it and post. I can't control what others do.

I'd rather see Logged From My Mobile Phone than TFTF or a cut and pasted log. At least it's interesting (to me).

As for using the log to verify if the finder was actually there...I physically check my logs. I have not had a problem with people logging online from other states and etc.

I just see so much dissing of mobile phone users on here it's silly.

(PS I don't have a computer to log from. Al my logs are from my BlackBerry as well as my pic uploads. It can be done).

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

...I understand where DarkZen is coming from, especially because TFTC has come to mean "I wasn't impressed with your cache". It's often been said in the forums that if you can't say something nice say "TFTC".

With an estimated 3+ million geocachers in the world that's been said by a few people in the forum. The few do not speak for the many.

Never confuse the forum with reality. :D

TFTC means Thanks For The Cache. Do you really believe that you are entitled to more than the finder's thanks?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

...I understand where DarkZen is coming from, especially because TFTC has come to mean "I wasn't impressed with your cache". It's often been said in the forums that if you can't say something nice say "TFTC".

With an estimated 3+ million geocachers in the world that's been said by a few people in the forum. The few do not speak for the many.

Never confuse the forum with reality. :D

TFTC means Thanks For The Cache. Do you really believe that you are entitled to more than the finder's thanks?

Yes. But we used to get more. C'mon now, you've been around slightly longer than me. Half the people who joined in the past month weren't dropping tftc only on every cache in 2003. This does not mean I feel I'm entitled to more, by the way.

Yes, correct about the small number of people who post the forums not speaking for the many. Despite the fact the 3+ million is totally bogus, and about half of all registered accounts have never found a cache. I was (and still am) going to reference the few not speaking for the many when I craft my response to the guy with the long username that I can't remember right now. :D

TFTC has come to mean "I wasn't impressed with your cache". It's often been said in the forums that if you can't say something nice say "TFTC".

Sometimes I just see "Found it" on a log. It doesn't offend me; there is a local cacher who says that on most hides and there is nothing to read between the lines at all - he's just my friend who doesn't talk much.

But other times I wonder. For example, someone found Project APE: Mission 4 deep in the Brazilian jungle today, and said only "Found it": http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ef-07ecc10e7924

As a watcher I was sad not to learn more about the story. Especially since he also found both Project APE: Mission 9 near Seattle and Lennon Wall (one of just four caches with 5000 finds in the world) in the Czech Republic today. It must have been an incredible day of geocaching and I was sad that he didn't say more about his adventures.

A local cacher never logs more than "tftc". Why? Not sure. He caches from a cell bought for the purpose, has no internet at home. More likely he is a tad uhm.... spelling impaired, given that his user id is misspelled. No problem for me, no big deal. His cell does not attach a "found using my whatever" footer. Neither does my BlackBerry. I write a bit more, but I like writing. Sometimes I log from the phone, sometimes from my desktop. It just depends on where I am. I really cant see why anybody gives a hoot what someone else uses for tools without knowing why that tool is their choice.

I'll stop rambling now.

Logged from my corporately owned Dell Desktop, using IE6 and XP.

As a watcher I was sad not to learn more about the story. Especially since he also found both Project APE: Mission 9 near Seattle and Lennon Wall (one of just four caches with 5000 finds in the world) in the Czech Republic today. It must have been an incredible day of geocaching and I was sad that he didn't say more about his adventures.

...and had time at the end of the day to show up at three 10/10/10 events in North Wales, North Carolina and Wisconsin!

That was indeed a good day's caching.

No, definitely not entitled. It's just a matter of etiquette and preference. A written out "Thanks" would have more sincerity then a "TFTC". Are you saying that it's untrue that TFTC is often written when a finder thinks that the CO put no effort into hiding the cache so they will in turn put no effort into writing a log? I've read about this practice quite often in the forums.

No, definitely not entitled. It's just a matter of etiquette and preference. A written out "Thanks" would have more sincerity then a "TFTC". Are you saying that it's untrue that TFTC is often written when a finder thinks that the CO put no effort into hiding the cache so they will in turn put no effort into writing a log? I've read about this practice quite often in the forums.

This is just another example of someone reading messages insted of hearing the spoken word. When you read a message you can form any opinion you want on what the intended message was meant to say, where as on the spoken word you can hear how the intended massage was meant by manerisms and tone of voice. I too also add TNLNSL TFTC or thats all I write. Never 1 time did I mean to imply that it was a lower than standard cache. It's simply meaning Took nothing left nothing signed log. Thanks for the cache. I am just too lazy to type it all... I don't care what someone said in the log of my 2 caches hid as long as they found it.