Cape Town TB Hotel

The Huskies

We received a message on the 19th Sept that the Cape Town TB Hotel (GC114RH) contained no TB's, geocoins or log book as listed in the cache page. On 10.10.10 we replaced the log book and placed it in a new location and added TB's and geocoins.

15.10.10 we received a note that the cache had once again been raided. Everything has again been removed.

Somehow this cache container is had been emptied twice including the log book and the second time was in the new cache location. Everytime the container is hidden and well covered.

With this cache being placed in a new location the "thief" would be logging in on the geocaching site and making use of a GPS for the co-ords. It is not fair on the owners of the TB's or geocoins that it might be a fellow cacher that is guilty.

This cache was placed 25.02.07 and we have had no problems with it. As a previous cacher has mentioned perhaps this cache is being burgled and not muggled. B)

While it is possible someone could be logging in an checking the changed coords - it is highly unlikely to be a geocacher! And by geocacher I mean some one playing the game. I have heard of cases locally and overseas where people sign up just to get the locations of caches s they can destroy them.

I jus checked you cache listing and a 10 metre move is not that much - the same person could have cme back and seen signs of disturbance around the new hiding place - Id change the corrds to be further down the jeep track

In this case the cache has not been destroyed - the contents have been stolen - which is unusual to me as the contents are worthless really. The container however is a very nice ammo box and definitely has some value - strange that it was not taken.

I would remove the ammo can (because this person is going to take it eventually) and put a little cheap plastic container in its place and make the listing for premiums members only. Then I would log some TBS in the cache - but not actually physically put them in - put in some cheap trinkets!. Oh and obviously change the coords by 50 metres.

Then see what happens. Possible against the rules but then so is stealing or muggling a cache. You could even get some people to write fake logs so the cache looks active.

In other words make it into a honey pot and attract the fly! unfortunately this would not tell you who it is if the phantom strikes.

good luck

Edited by trevorh7000

Its very annoying that someone would do this, especially as they have nothing to gain (that I can see) other than just being a vandal.

This is when you need a friend that has access to some hi-tech miniture gadgetry. We could get a miniture tracking or homing beacon, hide it inside something and add a TB tag to it. Then track the bugger down.