dakota external power supply issues

I haven't had that issue but I normally connect the USB when the unit is off. I do know another user is having similar issues to you. No resolution yet.

Are they using a generic USB power supply? I switched from my 12v usb adaptor and usb data cable to my girlfriends BlackBerry car charger and it didn't happen yet. I will post as more time passes.

I have just bought a Dakota 10 and tried using my car cigarette lighter power to USB from my phone to use it in the car but just get a pc picture on screen and nothing else, can I not use this to save batteries?

When you connect the external power, you have about 30 seconds to respond to the "Do you want to connect in mass storage mode" if you don;t use the Garmin auto power cord. watch the screen and respond to the prompt.

The mini-USB connector is not the most robust connector sa many people are finding out. The fit is a bit sloppy and the electrical connection area is small. neither feature lends itself well to a good reliable contact in a mobile setting. If the power gets interrupt for to long, it will shut down unless you answer the action prompt, ie, stay on or continue to shut down.

I use my Oregon on an ATV, major PIA. Glad I kept my old 60 Cx, the old round serial/power plug is much better, not to mention, action on power loss is configurable.

I have just bought a Dakota 10 and tried using my car cigarette lighter power to USB from my phone to use it in the car but just get a pc picture on screen and nothing else, can I not use this to save batteries?

When you connect the external power, you have about 30 seconds to respond to the "Do you want to connect in mass storage mode" if you don;t use the Garmin auto power cord. watch the screen and respond to the prompt.

The mini-USB connector is not the most robust connector sa many people are finding out. The fit is a bit sloppy and the electrical connection area is small. neither feature lends itself well to a good reliable contact in a mobile setting. If the power gets interrupt for to long, it will shut down unless you answer the action prompt, ie, stay on or continue to shut down.

I use my Oregon on an ATV, major PIA. Glad I kept my old 60 Cx, the old round serial/power plug is much better, not to mention, action on power loss is configurable.

With the dakota you do not get that message. That is part of the spanner feature in the oregon, colorado and GPSMAP 62 (and probably some others). With the dakota it normally goes to mass storage mode but then jumps back out when it cant find a computer.

The issue is that sometimes when i disconnect from external power I get the message would you like to "turn off?" and other times the screen just goes blank (like i pulled the batteries. Sometimes it happens even without disconnecting.

I have switched to another USB cable and we will see.

I will probably get the garmin power cord but it will have to wait a few months.

With the dakota you do not get that message. That is part of the spanner feature in the oregon, colorado and GPSMAP 62 (and probably some others). With the dakota it normally goes to mass storage mode but then jumps back out when it cant find a computer.

Thanks for this information. I never know that the Dakota would jump back out when it can't find a computer. Now, I can use it in the car without a special Garmin vehicle power cable!

Thanks for this information. I never know that the Dakota would jump back out when it can't find a computer. Now, I can use it in the car without a special Garmin vehicle power cable!

So here is some new info....I got the garmin car adaptor.

If you disconnect the adaptor from the GPS it asks if you

want to run on battery power.

If you disconnect from the power jack in the car it just shuts off.

With the garmin adaptor it doesn't try to go into mass storage mode.

From this I am guessing that I had a power fluctuation between the

cable and car power jack and that fluctuation cause the GPSr to shut down.

It appears that the GPS will ask if you want to use battery power if it thinks its hooked up to a

power adaptor and if it thinks its hookedup to a computer it just shuts down.