Do we need to make TB logging easier? mandatory?

Kfam

People will write in the found cache logs that they took a bug but they don't log the TB into their posession. Maybe we need a BRIGHT FLASHING BANNER page that comes up when you try to log a found cache that has a bug listed there.

WAS THE BUG HERE? YES___ NO___

DID YOU TAKE THE BUG? YES___ NO___

They won't be able to log their find until the bug's status is noted. If the bug is not in the cache, it could remove the TB icon from the cache and give it a MIA status. If they took the bug, it could send them to the TB logging page before they can log their find.

As one who has had to send email to people on several occasions asking them to log their travel bug finds (one of whom has still yet to do so) I wholeheartedly support this idea!

However, the first question should also have a "Don't Know" option since sometimes one might not be aware a bug is in the cache and so might not be consciously looking. I usually don't trade items and only sign the book, so if I don't know that there is supposed to be a bug in the cache I usually won't even look.

[This message was edited by scooterj on June 09, 2002 at 01:03 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by scooterj:

As one who has had to send email to people on several occasions asking them to log their travel bug finds (one of whom has still yet to do so) I wholeheartedly support this idea!

However, the first question should also have a "Don't Know" option since sometimes one might not be aware a bug is in the cache and so might not be consciously looking. I usually don't trade items and only sign the book, so if I don't know that there is supposed to be a bug in the cache I usually won't even look.

[This message was edited by scooterj on June 09, 2002 at 01:03 PM.]

I have **missed** TBs in caches because I only did a quick scan of the contents, signed the log, and went on my way. There would need to be an "I don't know" option. Also, I don't like the idea of removing the icon based on a "not there" log. It would be too easy for jerks to screw around with it. Perhaps giving the owner of the cache the option of removing the icon would make more sense.

25021_1200.gif

I would love to log Susan the Southbound Geosheep but the number listed on the site does not seem to be working. Susan was registered after she started her travels and does not have a tag with her.

(I just successfully logged a "normal" geocoin).

Any ideas?

GypsyMoth

I was going to start a new thread, but think this one is related to my question. In my limited experience with travel bugs (1 in cache according to log but not there when I found the cache, 2 I found and moved on, and 2 I owe which have been found once so far), it seems that part of the problem is that there are 2 different ways of logging the travel bug.

When you find a travel bug, you have to do 2 logs, one for the cache and one for the travel bug at a separate page. When you leave a travel bug in a new cache, you only have to do one log, since you can check off the travel bug on the cache log.

Would it make sense to have the check on the cache page allow you to do the travel bug log at the same time?

MapLady

We are new at this and retrieved our first T.B. We posted a log to the cache before the T.B. was posted, we found it the same day it was dropped off so we beat the other cacher by accident. I then went and logged the T.B. find, but then deleted it because we wanted the other cacher to log the bug drop off. Well now Geocaching.com thinks the cache site still has the bug, yet under the T.B. site it says it was "last seen in the hands of Tree Frogs" and If I go to the the cache page, we now have an option to drop the T.B.

My question is how do I get the T.B. off the Cache page?

The Tree Frogs

I know I would really love to be able to log a little something about the bug on it's release -- right now we only log pick up which is pretty much always BORING -- "I picked up So and so bug from Joe's cache and will be moving it north soon" blah, blah, blah....

I always try to do something fun or interesting with the bug and I would love the opportunity to log a goodbye or a funny note when it is released since I never save the digits for a "note" on the bugs page.

If the bug is listed as being in my possession - I should be able to log a note on the TB's page without the numbers right when or before I log the release into the cache. (maybe like a pop up window or something?)

Wasn't sure where to put my query but some of the posts in this thread seem to be along the same lines.

I have a travel bug that is making it's way north and then east across Canada... but the whole time it's been active I haven't had any mileage recorded for it. What gives??? Isn't there supposed to be mileage updates when someone logs it in [providing it's over 30 miles of course]?

It's great to see that it's moving but the kids would really like to see how far it's gone since it's in a race with another travel bug coming my way. icon_confused.gif

Is there some way to get this to happen? Am pretty new to this whole thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

Wasn't sure where to put my query but some of the posts in this thread seem to be along the same lines.

I have a travel bug that is making it's way north and then east across Canada... but the whole time it's been active I haven't had any mileage recorded for it. What gives??? Isn't there supposed to be mileage updates when someone logs it in [providing it's over 30 miles of course]?

It's great to see that it's moving but the kids would really like to see how far it's gone since it's in a race with another travel bug coming my way. icon_confused.gif

Is there some way to get this to happen? Am pretty new to this whole thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

TB logging should be easier. We picked up 4 TB's in Florida and moved them to Indiana (passed a few TB's since Indiana would not meet their goals). Anyway, I knew what I had to do to log the TB's, but there must be an easier way. I like the idea of asking a question, and if answered yes, a list of valid travel bugs appear, or the TB number prompt would be good too.

Right now, I have one TB launched. The logs where it was launched from show a cacher from Texas picked it up, but it is still showing in the cache. I wrote them a nice note and asked them to log that they had it. Nothing has changed yet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bear & Ting

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I liked the idea of logging entries on release.

Also couldn't the cache find page be modified to show the bugs currently in it. If you picked one up you could check a box next to it and put in the tag number next to check box and your cache log would also be your TB log. Then you could just modify your TB log later.

I think that automically asking about travel bugs when you log the cache is a terrific idea. I have been watching a cache for a long time trying to figure out if it is still there since I haven't been able to go yet!

Thanks for you wonderful idea. I hope the site owners will take this into serious consideration!

Goldie Locks

icon_smile.gif

I think that automically asking about travel bugs when you log the cache is a terrific idea. I have been watching a cache for a long time trying to figure out if it is still there since I haven't been able to go yet!

Thanks for you wonderful idea. I hope the site owners will take this into serious consideration!

Goldie Locks

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by spiderlady56:

quote:

My guess is that the map engine for Canada does not track miles. I've been working on a digital map project at work and the data for Canada is pretty crappy.

~ "If you take a dump in your mess kit you'll go to bed hungry."

quote:
Originally posted by spiderlady56:

quote:

My guess is that the map engine for Canada does not track miles. I've been working on a digital map project at work and the data for Canada is pretty crappy.

~ "If you take a dump in your mess kit you'll go to bed hungry."

I also have sent several messages to people who have picked up a travel bug and didn't know how to log it or just forgot. I usually include a description of how to log it just in case they are confused. And I am on several watch lists but when the bug hasn't moved in a while, I go back a dozen entries or so to find someone mentioning that the bug isn't in the cache anymore. I have actually gone to a cache just to get a travel bug that is still listed to find it is gone. So the communication isn't very good. No one notifies the owner that the travel bug has disappeared, the travel bug symbol remains on the cache page and a lot of players are confused about the bug logging. It seems simple to me but enough of the players miss it to justify a change is some way.

Perhaps what we need is a Wall of Shame where bug owners can post the usernames of those who mention in the logs that they took the bug but haven't logged the bug itself online, and where anyone who takes a bug properly but then doesn't place it in a new cache within, say, 6 or 8 weeks, also gets listed automatically. Once a "shamed" person finally logs bug movement they automatically get removed from the list. Public humiliation and peer pressure can go a long way. icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps what we need is a Wall of Shame where bug owners can post the usernames of those who mention in the logs that they took the bug but haven't logged the bug itself online, and where anyone who takes a bug properly but then doesn't place it in a new cache within, say, 6 or 8 weeks, also gets listed automatically. Once a "shamed" person finally logs bug movement they automatically get removed from the list. Public humiliation and peer pressure can go a long way. icon_biggrin.gif

It must be something else as the mileage feature works for my bugs.

A Canuck cacher

icon_biggrin.gif

It must be something else as the mileage feature works for my bugs.

A Canuck cacher

icon_biggrin.gif

How about a simple fix.

If a bug is not moved out of a cache in 60 days or in three updates it gets deleted from that cache.

If you find the bug later and log it then the bug is "back on the books". Simple easy and I think that is what computers do best.

I like the idea of the one stop logging of the cache and the bug as well.

The cache owner should be able to delete a bug that isn't in his/her cache.

Yes!

A Frustrated Travel Bug Owner's support group forum featuring a Wall of Shame sounds like a great idea.

We started this thread when Old Buffalo was taken from a cache and not logged properly. Three days later we mailed a friendly Congrats on the find with a polite reminder to log the traveler. This cacher has not responded or even logged onto the website since taking the bug. Research finds that this person has caused a bit of friction with their few posts on this forum, ironically, about following rules precisely. Monday will be a month and the cache still shows our bug there.

Any suggestions about how stern the next e-mail should be?

Happy Hunting,

Kfam

quote:
Originally posted by scooterj:

Perhaps what we need is a Wall of Shame where bug owners can post the usernames of those who mention in the logs that they took the bug but haven't logged the bug itself online, and where anyone who takes a bug properly but then doesn't place it in a new cache within, say, 6 or 8 weeks, also gets listed automatically.

I did see the "smiley," but it seems the greater problem is people snatching bugs (in almost all cases, never to be seen again) from caches and not logging the fact that they picked it up either online or in the logbook. I saw this at yet another cache just yesterday ...