How many caches have you logged as a found when the CO gave you permission?

Coldgears

There was a cache we found that was frozen solid in its location. Such is life when caching in winter.

We were watching a cache and got notification that someone had tried to find it in the winter. They said it was frozen in place, and they didn't want to break it getting it out and were hoping they'd be able to log it as a find. The owner said no; the logbook needs to be signed, so the person went back to try again. When they logged their find, they said when they got to the cache, it was broken and destroyed, but they were able to sign the logbook. :rolleyes:

There was a cache we found that was frozen solid in its location. Such is life when caching in winter.

We were watching a cache and got notification that someone had tried to find it in the winter. They said it was frozen in place, and they didn't want to break it getting it out and were hoping they'd be able to log it as a find. The owner said no; the logbook needs to be signed, so the person went back to try again. When they logged their find, they said when they got to the cache, it was broken and destroyed, but they were able to sign the logbook. :rolleyes:

Karma.

We were watching a cache and got notification that someone had tried to find it in the winter. They said it was frozen in place, and they didn't want to break it getting it out and were hoping they'd be able to log it as a find. The owner said no; the logbook needs to be signed, so the person went back to try again. When they logged their find, they said when they got to the cache, it was broken and destroyed, but they were able to sign the logbook. :D

But the one time I did it is for an offset where i found the memorial and couldn't find the actual hide. The CO said to just log it as he only wanted people to see the first stage... I wonder how much people with 1,000's of finds do this!

I took this topic to be about not actually finding the cache. Not so much about soggy logbooks and hard to retrieve containers.

You know, a true DNF.

Once. I found the hollowed out log with locking device, but the ammo can wasn't there. I logged it as DNF. The cache owner contacted my telling me it was his fault. He had removed the ammo can for repair and hadn't disabled the cache. He said I could log the find. Since the missing cache with the active listing was entirely the cache owner's fault and I'm 100% certain I found the location, I took him up on it. If it had simply been missing and not the cache owner's fault, I would not have.

Actually, maybe I did go back and sign. Now I'm not sure.

Once. I found the hollowed out log with locking device, but the ammo can wasn't there. I logged it as DNF. The cache owner contacted my telling me it was his fault. He had removed the ammo can for repair and hadn't disabled the cache. He said I could log the find. Since the missing cache with the active listing was entirely the cache owner's fault and I'm 100% certain I found the location, I took him up on it. If it had simply been missing and not the cache owner's fault, I would not have.

Actually, maybe I did go back and sign. Now I'm not sure.

I have never logged a find on a cache that I did not findand hold in my hands. I logged one find when I held the container and could not open it without pliers as it had corroded to the point where it could not be opened without tools. I initially logged a note and then logged a find after the CO did maintenance and gave me the ok.

I have been at numerous "active" caches where I could not log the cache due to the container being MIA. They all get DNF or note logs.

We were watching a cache and got notification that someone had tried to find it in the winter. They said it was frozen in place, and they didn't want to break it getting it out and were hoping they'd be able to log it as a find. The owner said no; the logbook needs to be signed, so the person went back to try again. When they logged their find, they said when they got to the cache, it was broken and destroyed, but they were able to sign the logbook. :D

A guy I know once found one of my caches encased in ice. The key phrase being "a guy I know". I told him no signee, no findee, pal. :P

But finding caches encased in ice is pretty common in my neck of the woods in winter. Other than that one time, I've never been made aware of one of my caches in that condition, but I'd absolutely accept a photo, or even verbal confirmation. I probably wouldn't do it myself though, if a find was "offered" to me, which I suppose is what the thread is about.

Will not accept the offer on the second one because it was a puzzle cache and I was only accompanying the puzzle solver. ( I had not done the puzzle )
You arrived at the cache site, the person with you signed the log, but you elected not to sign it and instead take the DNF? Edited by sbell111

Once for me, but I didn't have permission. Perhaps that makes none for me, then.

The cache description made it clear that the cache was inside a building that was only open during specific hours. I arrived during the hours that were listed on the cache page as available. The cache page's hours were incorrect and the location was secure. I was able to see the cache, but could not access it. I took a photo and logged my find with an explanation of what happened and the correct hours for future visitors.

I did not ask permission to log the find and never heard from the cache owner.

Only once for me, though I wasn't even planning to until the CO contacted me first and said I could. It was a puzzle cache that I had correctly solved, but the hide was missing from the obvious hidey spot. I contacted the CO to confirm my coordinates were correct and after finding it had been muggled, he told me just to log it since he had decided to archive the cache.

Only once for me, though I wasn't even planning to until the CO contacted me first and said I could. It was a puzzle cache that I had correctly solved, but the hide was missing from the obvious hidey spot. I contacted the CO to confirm my coordinates were correct and after finding it had been muggled, he told me just to log it since he had decided to archive the cache.

So the cache wasn't there and you and the owner decided it was a find.

We were watching a cache and got notification that someone had tried to find it in the winter. They said it was frozen in place, and they didn't want to break it getting it out and were hoping they'd be able to log it as a find. The owner said no; the logbook needs to be signed, so the person went back to try again. When they logged their find, they said when they got to the cache, it was broken and destroyed, but they were able to sign the logbook. ;)

But the one time I did it is for an offset where i found the memorial and couldn't find the actual hide. The CO said to just log it as he only wanted people to see the first stage... I wonder how much people with 1,000's of finds do this!

I took this topic to be about not actually finding the cache. Not so much about soggy logbooks and hard to retrieve containers.

You know, a true DNF.

Same here. I've only had this offered to me once. It was a puzzle cache that was a fair distance from my normal caching grounds. The tree at GZ looked like it had recently been trimmed but I gave it a good look. I posted my DNF and the owner sent me an email stating he checked and the cache was indeed missing, he replaced it and then insisted that I claim a find. I politely wrote back and told him I would hunt for the cache again the next time I was in the area.

How many caches have I logged as a find when the CO gave me permission after discovering the container was not there when I searched for it and I logged a DNF?

Zero. I have lost count of how many times it was offered though. I'll go back sometime after it is replaced, find it (hopefully) and sign it.

Just the other day, I DNF'd a cache that was a floater in a PVC pipe. I couldn't get the cap off the pipe. CO did maintenance and told me to log it. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll be back by with my jug o' water sometime, and I want to see it work.

However, if I find a container that matches the description on the listing, and I open said container to find something that was a log that cannot be signed currently, I will do my best to document the find and log it.

This happens quite frequently in our area, and sadly, many take the offer, even though the cache location is only a five minute drive and they could easily find the cache after it is replaced.

Personally, I have done this once. I was 400 mile from home and I pulled up to small park in the small town in central Nevada. The entire park had a temporary chain link fence surrounding it and signs that the park was being remodeled. I could see the cache about five feet away, hanging on the lower branches of a tree. When I got home, I posted a note describing my experience and the CO emailed that they had been there recently and there was no fence. They made it very clear that because I was so far from home, saw the cache, but couldn't retrieve it because of conditions out of mt control, I should log it. I took them up on their offer.

I have never logged a found on a cache that was obviously missing, even though I been offered over a dozen times.

Only once. I was out of area, found the cache (key holder in a storm drain) being protected by wasp nest. I got stung trying to retrieve. CO said okay.

Another time we found a cache hoisted up on a string in a tree. We FOUND the cache, but couldn't sign the log cos we couldn't get the cache down. The knot was hung up on the carabiner in the tree. Returned the following week with appropriate tools (swimming pool skimmer, ladder, among others) and managed to get the cache down to sign. Although I FOUND the cache, I wouldn't take the smiley til I signed the log.

But we all have different levels of tolerance. As a birder, some folks will put a bird on their life list if they HEAR it, others if they get a GLIMPSE of it, and others not until they have STUDIED it enough to identify again. We all play the game according to our own rules.