Lax Logging

thehoomer

not a problem with smart phones

It is when people don't write a log, they just mark it as found :grin:

Does it really matter if some people are behind? I never get more than a week behind, even after doing Skeg to Ness, but I know some people who are still logging caches from the spring.....

B) hi folks,we have just got back from australia and are 250 cache logs behind,i often get a bit behind but always do my dnf s first then all the tb s and coins next, the logs then get done over the next week or so, but this time with 250 it will take a little longer,but i keep up to date with any i find on a daily basis as i catch up with the oz caches.i wonder why the cacher mentioned earlier is 4000 behind,than would make me eat lots of bananas, happy caching patandjeff with sali and george the corgis who make up team bones1.

We were about ten hours behind today on one cache!

Far too long for some people as they had already grabbed the two coins we left :D

That so annoys me B), it's just so rude.

I just grab them back :D

Similar sentiments here.

I found one cache a couple of months ago and left a GC. At the next cache I met another group of cachers going the other way, told them I had just dropped a coin in their next cache, and moved on. By the time I got home they had already grabbed the coin, logging from their iphone :P

We think we already know the answer to this question but would like it confirmed if possible.......

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many caches 'behind' you can be before you get round to logging them?

Did something happen that makes you ask?

Only that Thehoomer are seriously behind. Like a lot of folks, we log our DNF's straight away, or indeed, caches that we have had a problem with for one reason or another. It is our preference to not use the 'Cut & Paste method, so logging is a little time consuming. Too busy finding caches to log them!

Thanks everyone, for clearing this one up.

We go on holiday with the Beauchiefs in our caravans and usually go to locations with no internet access (or in the case of a lot of sites some ridiculous fee for an hour's net access) So we have both bought internet dongles for use with lap tops. We come back from a day's caching and, with appropriate libations, log the day's caches - It is now an integral part of the holiday - with the barbie going and the wine flowing, even the DNFs don't seem so bad !!Beauchief in chief ! recently bought one of them fancy phones which we use for locating caches in the area for those caches we have missed in the holiday preparation "download" but not for "instant" logging - unless, on the odd occasion, we can't get an internet signal and she has a phone signal - but if we use the phone we still try and put a proper log on (not one of those instant messages that the phone generates) but that's a whole new topic that has been chewed to de'ath elsewhere. Maybe it's just because we are both still in the early hundreds of finds and at home I only get out once or twice a week for one or two searches but the satisfaction of watching the count go up, and the bugs and coins found and moved on is great on hols and with a glass or two of wine and a burnt burger is one of my life's great pleasures

Thanks lfor the Caches !!!! B):D

Always try to log on the same day, or the next day.

Two weeks holiday in Scotland with no internet access required making a log note, and then copy/paste the log when back at home.

If you get too far behind, how can you write a log specific to the cache?

OK, I was on holiday, but was writing the logs as a note, on the day or day after the cache was found. All was fresh in my memory... If you are months behind, unless you make notes...

THOUGHT> B)

If you haven't logged a 'Found' online within a month (without a very good reason) you have to go and find it again for it to count!

We think we already know the answer to this question but would like it confirmed if possible.......

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many caches 'behind' you can be before you get round to logging them?

its a bit like having sunday dinner with no pudding....the jobs not finished until the paperwork is done!

Not literally speaking of course!!

I don't understand the question. How could anyone but you, know how far "behind" you are?

And what if you never log online, for instance?

I was talking about Thehoomer specifically. We are behind in logging caches and were concerned if there was a time limit in logging. We have been a month or so behind in the past but now its even longer. May be we will just forget about our backlog and try to log as we go from now on!

I don't think it matters much if you get behind with general Found/DNF cache logs but I'd make a plea to everyone to try and log trackable items out/into caches ASAP because otherwise it holds things up as following cachers retrieve items from caches that haven't yet been logged into them... and then they do the polite thing and wait for the on-line drop-off log to be done.

MrsB

Far too long for some people as they had already grabbed the two coins we left :P

That so annoys me :D, it's just so rude.

Similar sentiments here.

I found one cache a couple of months ago and left a GC. At the next cache I met another group of cachers going the other way, told them I had just dropped a coin in their next cache, and moved on. By the time I got home they had already grabbed the coin, logging from their iphone :D

I don't see the problem here, surely you put them into the cache to be grabbed by someone else ? B)

We have been a month or so behind in the past but now its even longer.

There is no problem with the time. When my missus got her own ID I went back and logged all the caches we'd found together under her own name, some of which were a couple of years or more late.

However as others have said it's more important to log the trackables as soon as possible so that their location will be kept correct.

We have been a month or so behind in the past but now its even longer.

There is no problem with the time. When my missus got her own ID I went back and logged all the caches we'd found together under her own name, some of which were a couple of years or more late.

However as others have said it's more important to log the trackables as soon as possible so that their location will be kept correct.

Ahhh, yes, Id forgotten about the name change thing, there cant be a time limit then.

No problem with coins or bugs because we never take or leave any. I understand that some cachers like the whole trackable thing but it holds no interest for us.

Far too long for some people as they had already grabbed the two coins we left :P

Similar sentiments here.

I found one cache a couple of months ago and left a GC. At the next cache I met another group of cachers going the other way, told them I had just dropped a coin in their next cache, and moved on. By the time I got home they had already grabbed the coin, logging from their iphone :D

I don't see the problem here, surely you put them into the cache to be grabbed by someone else ? B)

Yes... but...

It's generally considered "polite" to give the previous holder of the trackable at least a few days in which to complete their own logging and drop the item off into the cache. Many cachers like to make a note in their cache log of which trackables they've dropped off, they like to make it part of their caching experience for the day. Also, if it gets grabbed before they've had a chance to log the drop-off into it doesn't accrue the mileage for that step in the journey (unless the cacher who does the 'grabbing' remembers to give that item a 'visit' to that previous cache before they move it on into another one.)

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

I don't understand the question. How could anyone but you, know how far "behind" you are?

And what if you never log online, for instance?

I was talking about Thehoomer specifically. We are behind in logging caches and were concerned if there was a time limit in logging. We have been a month or so behind in the past but now its even longer. May be we will just forget about our backlog and try to log as we go from now on!

I see: and obviously there's no time limit on logging caches retrospectively so there's no real problem.

Similar sentiments here.

Yes... but...

It's generally considered "polite" to give the previous holder of the trackable at least a few days in which to complete their own logging and drop the item off into the cache. Many cachers like to make a note in their cache log of which trackables they've dropped off, they like to make it part of their caching experience for the day. Also, if it gets grabbed before they've had a chance to log the drop-off into it doesn't accrue the mileage for that step in the journey (unless the cacher who does the 'grabbing' remembers to give that item a 'visit' to that previous cache before they move it on into another one.)

MrsB :)

Yes, it's this second point. By grabbing the trackable it misses it's log of being in that cache before the other team got hold of it, they didn't take it out of my bag, they took it from the cache where I put it, and the log for the trackable has no record of i visiting there, which makes it untrackable, and easily lost.

I log that night, where possible, because my memory's so rubbish that I'd forget otherwise, even with the little aide memoires the GPS gives me.

But then I'm not on mega thousands like some - I think that would make life much harder. And then it would be like trying to catch up with homework when the deadline is in 5 mins and the next lot is coming - would never keep up with myself!

B)

I tend to do a lot of my caching away from home. In a lot of areas, there's barely enough access for the sun, nevermind mobile broadband. A lot of the time, when I finally get off the hill, it's too late to go driving round the best part of a county looking for somewhere my dongle might, maybe, work.

After the weekend, I get home late. Late as in, sometimes, 3 am. Bed is more of a priority than logging. Then I get into work where I have nothing to do and an internet connection to play with, but GC.com won't work with my (work, which I am not allowed to change) software build.

Then, when I get home, I need to do other stuff. Like sleep.

So:

If I see a trackable I know I can't/won't log quickly, I just leave it. My found logs are sometimes late. Issues with my own caches go to my work mailbox, and I get the emails quickly and deal with them quickly, but sometimes the log so say I've dealt with the issue tend to lag the actual maintenance.

I tend to do a lot of my caching away from home. In a lot of areas, there's barely enough access for the sun, nevermind mobile broadband. A lot of the time, when I finally get off the hill, it's too late to go driving round the best part of a county looking for somewhere my dongle might, maybe, work.

After the weekend, I get home late. Late as in, sometimes, 3 am. Bed is more of a priority than logging. Then I get into work where I have nothing to do and an internet connection to play with, but GC.com won't work with my (work, which I am not allowed to change) software build.

So:

If I see a trackable I know I can't/won't log quickly, I just leave it. My found logs are sometimes late. Issues with my own caches go to my work mailbox, and I get the emails quickly and deal with them quickly, but sometimes the log so say I've dealt with the issue tend to lag the actual maintenance.

This is where it would be really useful if there could be some way of logging caches in an offline application and then uploading them in bulk to the site once an internet connection is available.

I've cached a few times where I've been several days with no connection and it does get a little tiresome having to keep some form of notes to then type them in to the GC site. So much quicker to log them offline on my laptop and hit Upload when I get back to my wireless internet connection.

I am probably the worst cache logger there is......ask my locals :D

If I do one or two local caches they could be logged within a month or so :P

The last batch of "holiday caches" I logged were for August 2009....so I am probably 14 month behind with my logging, but I have details for most of them scribbled here there and everywhere :D

Love caching, hate logging :D

I'm baaaaaaaaaad B)

Mandy :)

This is where it would be really useful if there could be some way of logging caches in an offline application and then uploading them in bulk to the site once an internet connection is available.

I've cached a few times where I've been several days with no connection and it does get a little tiresome having to keep some form of notes to then type them in to the GC site. So much quicker to log them offline on my laptop and hit Upload when I get back to my wireless internet connection.

I simply log the finds in Geocache Log and add an entry into the logs section, then when I have a decent internet connection I can simply copy that entry and do the online log as normal (2 clicks and a quick copy and paste).

I expect that GSAK can do the same.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Far too long for some people as they had already grabbed the two coins we left :unsure:

That so annoys me :(, it's just so rude.

Similar sentiments here.

I found one cache a couple of months ago and left a GC. At the next cache I met another group of cachers going the other way, told them I had just dropped a coin in their next cache, and moved on. By the time I got home they had already grabbed the coin, logging from their iphone :ph34r:

I don't see the problem here, surely you put them into the cache to be grabbed by someone else ? :angry:

Yes... but...

MrsB :P

Yes, it's this second point. By grabbing the trackable it misses it's log of being in that cache before the other team got hold of it, they didn't take it out of my bag, they took it from the cache where I put it, and the log for the trackable has no record of i visiting there, which makes it untrackable, and easily lost.

eeek! I had no idea this was considered rude!!!

I did find a trackable once in a cache that wasn't "officially" there.

I must admit I did do the "grab" thing as I logged the cache that evening....I thought I was doing the other cacher a favour to save him/her the bother!! :lol:

What I did do though was dip it into the cache I had got it from first and then retrieved it from there, so hopefully that sorted the mileage issue.

But I honestly had no idea that what I did was not the done thing.

Sorry!

You live and learn....

What I did do though was dip it into the cache I had got it from first and then retrieved it from there, so hopefully that sorted the mileage issue.

Dipping it goes half way to redeem your actions! :angry:

I would do this if the current holder doesn't drop it after a month or so and does not reply to emails :(

Mark

Dipping it goes half way to redeem your actions! :(

I would do this if the current holder doesn't drop it after a month or so and does not reply to emails :D

I usually give it a week's wait ... unless...

it's obvious from the cache logs that the cacher found the cache some time previously and mentioned leaving the trackable but hasn't actually logged it into the cache. It that instance I'll assume they've just forgotten to drop it off and I'll do a 'grab and visit'

or

it appears from the cacher's recent logs that they're on holiday in the area. Then I'll wait longer than a week.

But anyway, back to lax logging... can't you get special pills for that? :angry:

MrsB

I never log online, just in the logbook. Because of this I NEVER take trackables.

Fair enough, your choice. Out of interest though, do you log DNFs?

I only ask because clearly you're experienced and DNFs mean more from someone who's found a few caches rather than (as I found out) someone who had found 6 (as happened to me the other week).

Fair enough, your choice. Out of interest though, do you log DNFs?

I only ask because clearly you're experienced and DNFs mean more from someone who's found a few caches rather than (as I found out) someone who had found 6 (as happened to me the other week).

There was a bod local to us who only ever logged DNFs - it got tiresome only ever getting bad news!

I simply log the finds in Geocache Log and add an entry into the logs section, then when I have a decent internet connection I can simply copy that entry and do the online log as normal (2 clicks and a quick copy and paste).

I expect that GSAK can do the same.

Don't know if GSAK can - never used it to log caches or store notes.

Nowadays I just use field notes direct from the Oregon and don't bother with any pc side software (apart from a browser)

Dipping it goes half way to redeem your actions! :unsure:

I would do this if the current holder doesn't drop it after a month or so and does not reply to emails :ph34r:

I usually give it a week's wait ... unless...

it's obvious from the cache logs that the cacher found the cache some time previously and mentioned leaving the trackable but hasn't actually logged it into the cache. It that instance I'll assume they've just forgotten to drop it off and I'll do a 'grab and visit'

or

it appears from the cacher's recent logs that they're on holiday in the area. Then I'll wait longer than a week.

But anyway, back to lax logging... can't you get special pills for that? :D

MrsB

:angry: I guess I had that coming. Excellent MrsB, excellent. :(

So:

If you use an Oregon thats exactly whay you do have as long as you mark your finds on the GPSr. :angry: Mrs G found out how to do this at the Mega courtesy of Heffalump.