Oregon x00 (WebUpdater) software version 4.10

mty55

Anybody upgrade yet. Looks like the same firmware as the previous version. Just seems to add "Chirp" probably useless at this point and a custom map fix. I see in the x50 series the upgrade messes with the geocaching icon. Not a big deal, but not right either. I usually like to keep the unit up to date but this one seems kind of senseless. Especially if the firmware stayed the same. My unit runs flawlessly with 4.0. Anyone give me a good reason upgrade.

Thanks

"Anyone give me a good reason upgrade."

1) Um, to get the Chip compatability. Look, they're going to come out with future updates that will include the Chip compatability anyway. Unless you're boycotting any and all future updates based on the changing of the Geocache icon, you might as well go ahead and upgrade.

2) Often times Garmin includes tweeks to firmware that aren't listed in the official log of changes. Most of the time they are improvements.

Why upgrade to Windows 7 for free when Windows 95 works just fine? :grin: (attempt at humor)

Edited by yogazoo

"Anyone give me a good reason upgrade."

1) Um, to get the Chip compatability. Look, they're going to come out with future updates that will include the Chip compatability anyway. Unless you're boycotting any and all future updates based on the changing of the Geocache icon, you might as well go ahead and upgrade.

2) Often times Garmin includes tweeks to firmware that aren't listed in the official log of changes. Most of the time they are improvements.

Why upgrade to Windows 7 for free when Windows 95 works just fine? B) (attempt at humor)

1: Chirp compatability in its infancy stage not a high priority right now.

2: Firmware tweaks if there are any. I guess you could say that would be the best part of this upgrade in my opinion.

3: I remember upgrading Windows 3.1 to Win 95 to 98 to XP to Vista and now Windows 7. A few nightmares in the progression(Vista), but worked through them all.

The icon change not a big deal. I have been through evey upgrade on my Oregon 300 in the past two years. Some good some bad. I'll probably do it I'm just going to wait and hear, the good, the bad, and the ugly before I do.

Thanks

It changed from the 4-color square icon to a "found" treasure chest icon. Wonder why they did that? Was there some copyright infringement? Is Garmin promoting alternative sites (is there any??)?

Thanks. So it's not the cache icons themselves which change (as they presumably still reflect the cache type) but rather the Groundspeak logo. I think that's a good thing - caching isn't exclusive to Groundspeak.

OK just bit the bullet and downloaded the upgrade. The new geocache icon is kind of goofy. If they wanted to use the treasure chest there should have been two chests, one opened and one closed. I know I might be nit picking, but that icon opens your gps to both found and unfound caches. Now just going to have to wait for the first Chirp cache to come out in my area.

Might even look into it more myself and place my own.

Edited by mty55