Geocoin help Please?

Skotty8191

Hey everyone, Newbie here, I have decided that geocaching is a gateway drug. It has lead to a geocoin addiction. I found my 1st trackable coin yesterday and will be moving it tomorrow. I have purchased 2 very cool geocoins and do not plan on sending them into the wild. Should I activate these coins so they show up as inventory on my profile? Does activating decrease the value of the coin? I may take 1 coin with me at all times and "dip" them into every cache to log mileage so i will have to activate that one. It seems like people use these coins in many different ways. I just purchased the coins as souvenirs for my start into Geocaching. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey everyone, Newbie here, I have decided that geocaching is a gateway drug. It has lead to a geocoin addiction. I found my 1st trackable coin yesterday and will be moving it tomorrow. I have purchased 2 very cool geocoins and do not plan on sending them into the wild. Should I activate these coins so they show up as inventory on my profile? Does activating decrease the value of the coin? I may take 1 coin with me at all times and "dip" them into every cache to log mileage so i will have to activate that one. It seems like people use these coins in many different ways. I just purchased the coins as souvenirs for my start into Geocaching. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I all depends what you want to do with them. I think that you should not activate them as that will decrease their value if you plan to sell them later. If you want to take them to events for others to see and discover then you will need to activate them. I pesonally like to collect them and I have a book that I put the coins into. I also carry coins with me when I go caching so that I can dip them into caches for the milage but that only creates a log of where you have been.

Have fun caching and I agree about the gateway drug. Just remember some coins are produced in the thousands while others have production runs of 200 or less. :grin:

I have been collecting for about a year and I activate all of my coins except for the ones that I intend to give away unactivated so that other people may activate them.

My reason for activating them is so that I can keep track of them and so that they can start to tell a story. Yes, activating coins does decrease their value and it can never be regained. Simply put, it converts them from being new to being used. On Ebay, activated coins sell for substantially less. I much prefer these coins since they cost less and they already have a story.

Investment advisers will tell you that collectibles are just about the worst investment you can make (I'll bet I just irritated a large number of people). Whether you are collecting trading cards, stamps, Star Wars toys, jewelry boxes, or geocoins, the long term trend in general will be decreasing value. Of course, we all hear stories of stamps, coins, and trading cards worth a million dollars, but that is the exception, not the rule. Thus, buying a coin and expecting it to go up in value is like buying a lottery ticket. Maybe you will win, but the greatest chance is that you will lose your money. Investors will tell you to buy collectibles because they make you happy, not because you expect them to go up in value. With this in mind, I activate my coins because it makes me happy.

Thanks

If you are going to release it, activate it, otherwise you're giving it away as swag.

If you're going to keep it, and not let people discover it, don't activate it.

If you want to let people discover it and keep it in your collection, activate it.

If you activate it and sell it later, be prepared to answer some questions, or your buyer will have to, about why logs are being deleted.

Thanks for the responses. I can tell you that I would never activate the coin then try to sell it, That would be asking for trouble. I'm really enjoying caching so I thought I'd buy a coin to keep to commemorate getting involved in this. Maybe someday my daughter would ask about it and i'd have a cool story. My Wife has not gotten too involved yet but I'm hoping she'll join me more often. Right now I'm really doing this solo.

The coin I purchased for me is the Symbology Geocoin by Chris Rake and I purchased the 2009 Compass Rose for my Wife. I now need to find one appropriate for my 3 yr old daughter. Any Suggestions? :grin:

My older boy is a little over two and a half and he loves to cache with me. Actually, he has been caching with me since before he was two. He begs to go to caches and of course we stick to the easier ones. I think that your daughter would love it now since it is one of the best activities that parents and small kids can do together. In fact, we went to a cache this morning and were looking at the pictures on the computer right before bed.

If you check out the link to the crystal cache (I am the owner) you will see pictures of my son at the cache in his frog boots.

Thanks for the responses. I can tell you that I would never activate the coin then try to sell it, That would be asking for trouble. I'm really enjoying caching so I thought I'd buy a coin to keep to commemorate getting involved in this. Maybe someday my daughter would ask about it and i'd have a cool story. My Wife has not gotten too involved yet but I'm hoping she'll join me more often. Right now I'm really doing this solo.

The coin I purchased for me is the Symbology Geocoin by Chris Rake and I purchased the 2009 Compass Rose for my Wife. I now need to find one appropriate for my 3 yr old daughter. Any Suggestions? :grin:

I just started collecting a few coins and was curious about the pros and cons of activating vs not activating. It seems like a lot of traders advertise that their coins are unactivated. However, thus far I've been activating mine even though I don't think I'll be circulating them. I might show them to other cachers though, so I wanted to let them be discoverable. Is it not really worth activating them just for that? Does it devalue a coin to activate it?

Many people will activate every coin they own. They take them to events so others can discover them. So over time the coins build up a history of where they have been and who has seen them. For some that adds value.

I prefer not to. I like participating in coin missions and trading. Its easier to trade an unactivated coin then an activated one. Also these coins are some what of an investment for me. If down the road i get in a bind i can always sell them for at least what i paid for them. If they are activated its a bit harder to sell them. Just because of the adoption process. Weather it actual reduces the value depends on the buyer.

I only have one of my coins activated. It travels with me to all caches and events and acts as a sort of mileage tracker.

I might show them to other cachers though, so I wanted to let them be discoverable. Is it not really worth activating them just for that?

The only way to let others log them is to activate them. Many people have done that, then sold them later on, as long as it is clearly noted the coin was activated. Traders usually like non-activated since it can be hassle to get all the adoptions done.

Activation does seem to decrease the coins' resale value, by about half, according to what I've seen in the 2 years I've been collecting. Like you, I activate my keepers, in anticipation of eventually taking them to events to be discovered (but not until GS changes the misleading term "collectible" for coins already in a private collection). Another advantage is that the coin bearing that tracking number is "on record" as belonging to me, if that should ever become an issue. Also, considering the fact that my coins will outlast me, I'd prefer that my collection not be passed on to someone who would want them primarily for their resale value--I'd like to think that their adoptive owner would cherish the collection the way I do.

Of course, this plan could backfire, if I find myself in dire financial straits & need to sell them myself...as has happened to some of us!

Activation does seem to decrease the coins' resale value, by about half, according to what I've seen in the 2 years I've been collecting. Like you, I activate my keepers, in anticipation of eventually taking them to events to be discovered (but not until GS changes the misleading term "collectible" for coins already in a private collection). Another advantage is that the coin bearing that tracking number is "on record" as belonging to me, if that should ever become an issue. Also, considering the fact that my coins will outlast me, I'd prefer that my collection not be passed on to someone who would want them primarily for their resale value--I'd like to think that their adoptive owner would cherish the collection the way I do.

Of course, this plan could backfire, if I find myself in dire financial straits & need to sell them myself...as has happened to some of us!

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that if they were ever stolen, it would be great that the coin is registered to you. Then if it popped up on ebay you could promptly notify the police. Though hopefully I'd never run into this situation!

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that if they were ever stolen, it would be great that the coin is registered to you. Then if it popped up on ebay you could promptly notify the police. Though hopefully I'd never run into this situation!

Also, some of your coins, if released in the wild, might disappear really fast (ie. Oceania and Sea of treasures), and you probably would never get them back. From several threads that I've read the key thing to keep in mind is, if you do release a coin for travel, be prepared to lose it forever.

It sounds like these will always be special coins commemorating your entry into the fine art of geocaching and geocoin collecting. Reading your post they will probably never be for sale or traveling. Activate them, enjoy the icons that pop up in your profile and in each coins mission statement write what that coin is about. Taking them to events or dipping them to track your adventures will provide enjoyment as you see the miles rack up, the caches you visited, and the special geo-friends you shared your coins with for discovery. You have two fine starter coins there :D

Here is a hint, name the coins Skotty8191's Symbology Coin, Skotty8191's 2009 Compass Rose. They will show up in your inventory alphabetically and it will be easy to select "visited" when you are dipping in a cache, they will all be together in the list. B)

I just started collecting a few coins and was curious about the pros and cons of activating vs not activating. It seems like a lot of traders advertise that their coins are unactivated.

I haven't done anything with coins yet. But I plan to and I'll tell you about what I think of the whole "worth more unactivated" thing...

Outside of geocaching I am a collector (of just about everything! LOL! comics, records, milkglass, salt shakers, shells, cats, roosters, ponies....you name it I probably have a small collection of it). Comics are my big thing though (going for a Guinness record with them and close to it now), but I'm an odd sort of collector - and I drive other comic collectors crazy - I'll bid huge amounts of money to get some rare comic book that was still sealed in it's original shrink wrap, and than I'll go home open it up and read it. :P Major no-no in the comic book world. I did this a few years back and several of the people whom I out bid, went hysterical and wanted to know why I did it: my answer was simple: I don't collect comics to have them sit on the shelf unread, I actually want to read the stories inside. I don't care how much the money value is. I'm not buying this as an investment, I'm not going to resell it, and in this instance the issue was so rare that the only one I could find happened to still be shrink wrapped - I wanted that issue, it had a limited edition story in it by Don Rosa, my favorite comic book author and I wanted to read it.

You see, I don't collect things because I'm investing in their value. I never buy something I would resell later. I collect things, because they are things that I enjoy. And just like how I want to read the story in the comic books, when I start collecting geocoins, I'll do it for the story of the coin's travels, not for any so-called money value the coin has.

So in that light, I say ACTIVATE THEM ALL! Send them out there, let them travel, let them build up a history, let them become legends - because that's what I'm going to be looking for. And in my case, keeping the coin would not be my goal - I would rather have a scrapbook full of photos of me with the coins I've found, so I could says: "See, I found it, and for a short while it was in my possession, see, here's the proof. I kept it for a short while and than I sent it on it's way for some one else to be able to find and enjoy."

I think, geocoin collecting is like fishing: every one wants to go after the big one that got away, but when some one captures it than takes it home and hangs it on their wall, the fun is gone - FOR EVERY ONE! No more can there be fishing trips in hopes of catching the "big one". That's how I see geocoins: I think they should be out there in circulation so every one can have a chance at trying to catch it, but than once they've caught it - don't keep it, just take your picture with it and let it go for the next person to be able to enjoy the pleasure of catching it too.

However, thus far I've been activating mine even though I don't think I'll be circulating them. I might show them to other cachers though, so I wanted to let them be discoverable. Is it not really worth activating them just for that? Does it devalue a coin to activate it?

Many people will activate every coin they own. They take them to events so others can discover them. So over time the coins build up a history of where they have been and who has seen them. For some that adds value.

Yes. This is the other road I like to see: if you are going to keep it, activate it so others can find it and record their find. Let your coins have stories for you to tell the grandkids about. What good will it be to show the coins to your grandkids, if you don't have a great story to tell them about the coins?

I only have one of my coins activated. It travels with me to all caches and events and acts as a sort of mileage tracker.

I had not thought of doing this with a coin. I'm going to do it with my car, my atv, and my RV though - so that I can keep track of where I went with what vehicle, and allow people to discover them as well.

Heres' a somewhat related question....in my profile I see "trackables inventory" and "Trackables collection." I think I understand that inventory is what I currently am holding, like a coin that I take from a cache with the intent to move to another. But this "collection," is that geocoins that I buy and then activate, with the intent of keeping them? Can other people see that collection if they pull up my profile? or is it something different?

And another question....if you pull up someone else's profile, you click the trackables tab, and on the left is stuff they discovered or moved....that I understand. On the right are trackables they own. I think that's coins they gave missions and released. Is that also coins in their private collection, activated? I'm pretty sure unactivated coins won't show up here. But is this right column the same as teh "collection" on your own profile?

dh

Heres' a somewhat related question....in my profile I see "trackables inventory" and "Trackables collection." I think I understand that inventory is what I currently am holding, like a coin that I take from a cache with the intent to move to another. But this "collection," is that geocoins that I buy and then activate, with the intent of keeping them? Can other people see that collection if they pull up my profile? or is it something different?

And another question....if you pull up someone else's profile, you click the trackables tab, and on the left is stuff they discovered or moved....that I understand. On the right are trackables they own. I think that's coins they gave missions and released. Is that also coins in their private collection, activated? I'm pretty sure unactivated coins won't show up here. But is this right column the same as teh "collection" on your own profile?

dh

The trackables discovered/moved is all trackables you have ever discovered or moved, these are the ones that belong to other people.

The trackables owned is all the trackables that you have activated or adopted (ie that you are the owner). It does not matter if they are in your inventory, your collection, or out in the world. Someone looking at your profile cannot really differentiate those that are in your inventory vs. those that are in your collection. They can look at the individual coins and see whether you have it or it is somewhere else in the world.

dh

Your Trackables Inventory will contain

(a.) Activated trackables belonging to other cachers which you've retrieved from a cache and which you intend to move on and drop off into another cache soon, and

(b.) Activated trackables that you own which are ready to move from cache to cache e.g. Your activated trackable that you're going to place into a cache soon or your own personal trackable that you "visit" to caches to record your own mileage.

Your Trackables Collection is for the trackables that you own but you have decided not to release to travel. They are your own personal collection of trackables (usually they are geocoins or a special travel bug) that you want to keep with you. If you move one of your trackables into your Collection it removes it from view in your Trackables Inventory. Also, if you take your Trackables Collection to an event to show the items to other cachers, they will only have the options to "Discover it" or "Write note" on your trackable.

Trackables that you choose to place into your Trackables Collection can be moved out of the Collection and into your Trackables Inventory at a later date, if you decide to release them for travel.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Your Trackables Inventory will contain

(a.) Activated trackables belonging to other cachers which you've retrieved from a cache and which you intend to move on and drop off into another cache soon, and

(b.) Activated trackables that you own which are ready to move from cache to cache e.g. Your activated trackable that you're going to place into a cache soon or your own personal trackable that you "visit" to caches to record your own mileage.

Your Trackables Collection is for the trackables that you own but you have decided not to release to travel. They are your own personal collection of trackables (usually they are geocoins or a special travel bug) that you want to keep with you. If you move one of your trackables into your Collection it removes it from view in your Trackables Inventory. Also, if you take your Trackables Collection to an event to show the items to other cachers, they will only have the options to "Discover it" or "Write note" on your trackable.

Trackables that you choose to place into your Trackables Collection can be moved out of the Collection and into your Trackables Inventory at a later date, if you decide to release them for travel.

Understood....thanks. If something is in my "collection" will it show up on the page where it lists on the left side trackables I moved and on the right side trackables I own? Or is it hidden from that view?

... If something is in my "collection" will it show up on the page where it lists on the left side trackables I moved and on the right side trackables I own? Or is it hidden from that view?

As long as you activate the item it becomes "yours". If you place it in your collection, yes, it'll appear on the right side under "Trackables owned".

e.g.

If you look at our profile, under the "Trackables" tag, scroll down about 25 icons, you'll see the black bat icon for "Bat-Bubba's Caving Geocoins". This is one I've placed in our Collection. If you click on it you'll see it's "in the hands of the owner" and (underneath that) "This is collectible".

... If something is in my "collection" will it show up on the page where it lists on the left side trackables I moved and on the right side trackables I own? Or is it hidden from that view?

As long as you activate the item it becomes "yours". If you place it in your collection, yes, it'll appear on the right side under "Trackables owned".

e.g.

If you look at our profile, under the "Trackables" tag, scroll down about 25 icons, you'll see the black bat icon for "Bat-Bubba's Caving Geocoins". This is one I've placed in our Collection. If you click on it you'll see it's "in the hands of the owner" and (underneath that) "This is collectible".

Ok now I'm getting it. But even though your bat bubba coin is collectible, I cannot grab it from you. 2 more questions....you've provided clear answers so far.

1) If I have a coin in my inventory, and people discover it at an event, then I move it to my collection, does that delete the logs? Do the logs get altered or deleted if you move it back and forth between inventory and collection?

2) Can people discover it and can I dip it in caches, if it's in my collection?

1) If I have a coin in my inventory, and people discover it at an event, then I move it to my collection, does that delete the logs? Do the logs get altered or deleted if you move it back and forth between inventory and collection?

Others can discover your coin in your inventory or in your collection. That will create a log. Moving the coin between your inventory and your collection will not alter or delete their log. It will create a log of its own indicating that it was moved.

If it is in your collection, people can still discover it. However, in order to dip it into a cache, you will need to move it to your inventory first.

And I can assume that obtaining a coin now is not eligable to be dipped into every cache I found beforehand, since the coin has not actually been there, right? That would take a long time to do (260 caches) but would be a cool mileage tracker. It seems the honest thing to do if using a coin as a mileage tracker is to track miles beginning the day the coin is activated.

dh

e.g.

Ok now I'm getting it. But even though your bat bubba coin is collectible, I cannot grab it from you. 2 more questions....you've provided clear answers so far.

"But even though your bat bubba coin is collectible, I cannot grab it from you."

And there you have pin-pointed exactly the reason why I, and others, have been asking Groundspeak to clarify or change the wording and the explanation in the Knowledge Books of the term "Collectible".

Many new cachers, seeing "Collectible" may assume that it means, "Here is a geocoin which is collectible. That must mean I can have it to take/put in a cache/put into my own collection."

What "Collectible" means is "This geocoin belongs in the owner's personal collection of geocoins. It's not for travel."

Moving your geocoin from Your Inventory to Your Collection will not affect the previous logs in any way.

If it's in your Collection it can only be discovered or have a Note log added to it. If you want to dip it in and out of caches (including logging it in and out of events) you'll have to move it to your Inventory first - That's the place for all "travelling" (moving) trackables.

MrsB

And I can assume that obtaining a coin now is not eligable to be dipped into every cache I found beforehand, since the coin has not actually been there, right? That would take a long time to do (260 caches) but would be a cool mileage tracker. It seems the honest thing to do if using a coin as a mileage tracker is to track miles beginning the day the coin is activated.

dh

Some do it, I suppose it is up to you. Personally, I think it would be a pain to go back and write another note on 260 caches (and possibly then delete the note log afterwards if you want to clean it too). Me, I'd just start from where you are now and go forward from there.

Actually, I didn't have a tracker for my first 1000 caches. Then I decided that I would use a tracker for 1000-1099. All in all, I am not really sure why I am doing it or what I am getting out of it. My basic plan is to use a different coin for each 100. Realize that it really doesn't track mileage anyway. It tracks cache to cache distance, but doesn't track your actual trip, and doesn't account for DNF trips, or driving vs. walking.

dh

Some do it, I suppose it is up to you. Personally, I think it would be a pain to go back and write another note on 260 caches (and possibly then delete the note log afterwards if you want to clean it too). Me, I'd just start from where you are now and go forward from there.

Actually, I didn't have a tracker for my first 1000 caches. Then I decided that I would use a tracker for 1000-1099. All in all, I am not really sure why I am doing it or what I am getting out of it. My basic plan is to use a different coin for each 100. Realize that it really doesn't track mileage anyway. It tracks cache to cache distance, but doesn't track your actual trip, and doesn't account for DNF trips, or driving vs. walking.

Yup....I probably won't use the tracker. But I dunno...might change my mind later. Mainly I just want to collect coins that I think are cool, and let people discover them. I don't really see what stories can be added to a coin log by simply dipping it in seemingly random caches....but I could come up with ideas, like documenting long trips or significant caching adventures by using a coin. It would have been fun to document my family's move from California to Virginia with one geocoin....because I found at least one cache in each state I passed through.

If it's in your Collection it can only be discovered or have a Note log added to it. If you want to dip it in and out of caches (including logging it in and out of events) you'll have to move it to your Inventory first - That's the place for all "travelling" (moving) trackables.

MrsB

And that brings up another thing I'm not clear on....

If I go to a caching event, and I want people to discover my coins, do I have to log the coin into the event? Or can I just physically show up with the coins, lay them out on a table, and let poeple write down the tracking numbers?

dh

MrsB

If I go to a caching event, and I want people to discover my coins, do I have to log the coin into the event? Or can I just physically show up with the coins, lay them out on a table, and let poeple write down the tracking numbers?

dh

You don't need to drop them into the event for people to discover them. If you do, that is fine, if not, they will just log 'discovered in the hands of ...' which is fine too.

You of course do need to take your coins and let them write down the numbers :)

If you have a lot of coins, it can be a pain to pull them all out of your collection into your inventory (one at a time) and then drop them all into the event (possibly multiple at once). Then after the event and some time you will need to retrieve them from the event (again 1 at a time) which will get them all back into your inventory, and then you will need to put them back into your collection (also 1 at a time). So I just leave mine in my collection for the event. Sometimes I pick a token/tracker that I want to send through the event.

MrsB

dh

You can just turn up with your box or album of geocoins and offer them for discovery to anyone interested. Most owners keep close to them - I wouldn't suggest leaving your collection on a table with a note attached saying, "You can discover my geocoins" and then wandering off and leaving them unattended for hours unless you're well acquainted with the cachers there and know them to be reliable.

Some people still log their geocoins into events, presumable because they want the coin to have the record of having been at the event and also to acquire the mileage. I used to log my (very small) collection of geocoins into events but I no longer bother to do so.

MrsB

So you are saying that if I pull up someone else's geocoin page and it says "this coin is collectible," that simply means that the coin is in their collection and not their inventory. Correct?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm new to geocoins and some of the wording and features on geocaching.com is vague.

So you are saying that if I pull up someone else's geocoin page and it says "this coin is collectible," that simply means that the coin is in their collection and not their inventory. Correct?

Yes, exactly.

Sorry for all the questions...I'm new to geocoins and some of the wording and features on geocaching.com is vague.

It's good to ask these questions - You can bet your boots that there will be others who will also be a bit confused too!

If a new geocacher wants to get into geocoins and create a Collection of their own the only ways to do it is to buy geocoins from venders, trade geocoins with other keen coiners, enter the various Cointests on this forum to try and win one, attend events where geocoins may be prizes in raffles/draws, or (very occasionally) you may find a brand new, unactivated geocoin left as a bit of special "swag" in a cache (in which case you should trade fairly for it).

MrsB

Mrs. B,

I just read thsi help file from the knowledge books... http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=250 and it does not seem to make sense with what you were saying about collectible versus non-collectible. Not trying to pick....but it's not jiving.

Ignore what is in the knowledge books on collectible - it seems that Groundspeak actually got themselves confused as they have posted else where in the forums that it is the option for owners to move coins to their personal collections out of their inventory. If I understand correctly, the feature was added to the site after requests for geocachers for such a feature.

Hence why a number of us keep pushing for Groundspeak to clean up the dreadful mess that this has become. And it is getting very, very, very frustrating that they seem to be doing nothing about it.

Edited by keewee

The following is an email conversation with deltahotel on this also...

Keewee,

I'd like if you could explain something to me about geocoins. I understand that it's bad to take a geocoin from a cache and keep it as your own, because it is activated and has a mission. And I understand how to "discover" coins at a caching event.

But if I buy one from someone on the forums, or from a geocoin page, or if I win one in a contest or in a drawing, is it unactivated? And if so, do I have the right to just keep it in a personal collection? Or am I required to activate it?

If I activate it, can I still keep it in my house as a collection?

I noticed in my profile I have a trackable inventory and a trackable collection. How does that work?

I'm fairly new to geocoins.

v/r

DH

Hi DeltaHotel,

Usually when you buy a geocoin it is unactivated, especially if you buy it from a web based geocoin store or win it as a prize somewhere.

BUT - you need to be aware that there are quite a few activate geocoins being sold too (some in the forums and some on eBay), but they should always be listed as activated.

When you buy or acquire an unactivated geocoin (could be from a store, someone on the forums, eBay, as a prize) then you are the owner of the geocoin. Whether it is activated or unactivate. And unless you sell it or give it away, you will remain the owner. Geocoins are like any other item you own - they can be given away, traded or sold, and the ownership follows them. The big difference is that with a geocoin you are able to activate it and then use the Tracking Number to follow it.

That could be as simple as taking it to events and allowing other people to record the Tracking Number so that they can discover it; or setting it free to travel, whereby other people grab and place it between other cachers or in and out of geocaches.

The main reason it is bad to take a geocoin out of a geocache and keep it is that it is actually owned by someone else and it is they who have activated the coin and sent it travelling.

> But if I buy one from someone on the forums, or from a geocoin page, or if I win one in a contest or in a drawing, is it unactivated?

Most geocoins are unactivated when you buy them. It is extremely rare to buy one that is already activated (except from eBay or in the forums).

> And if so, do I have the right to just keep it in a personal collection? Or am I required to activate it?

Yes - there is no requirement at all that you activate the geocoin. There are 2 main uses for geocoins - collecting, or sending out travelling.

If collecting then it is up to you whether you activate it or not. If you want others to discover it (at events, etc) then activate it; if you want the icon for the coin in your profile, then activate it; otherwise don't worry about it.

If sending it travelling then you will have to activate it so that it gets it's home page created and you can give it a mission, etc, etc.

If it is a nice geocoin, I suggest you drill a hole in it and attach a Geocoin Dog Tag (available from a number of the geocoin stores) and your own laminated mission sheet. This leaves anyone picking it up in no doubt to the fact it is owned by someone and is meant to keep travelling. Plus the hole drilled in it hopefully puts off any geocoin thieves.

> If I activate it, can I still keep it in my house as a collection?

Yes

> I noticed in my profile I have a trackable inventory and a trackable collection. How does that work?

When you activate a geocoin, one of the things on the coins page is "Is this collectable?" This has caused huge amounts of confusion as different people interpret this differently.

Groundspeak has said, that this option should be set by the owner and the coin made collectible IF the coin is activated and the owner wants to keep the coin in their own colleciton. Setting this option allows you to move (or does it for you) the coin into your trackable collection. If you have a geocoin the is not "collecible", or you've picked one up out of a geocoin, then it will appear in your trackable inventroy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Craig

Mrs. B,

I just read thsi help file from the knowledge books... http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=250 and it does not seem to make sense with what you were saying about collectible versus non-collectible. Not trying to pick....but it's not jiving.

I agree that what is said in the Knowledge Books about Collectible/Not Collectible is about as clear as mud!

I have to get to bed now (11pm here in UK) so I'll leave you to discuss the whole thing with everyone else on the forum and see whether they can explain it further while I drift into oblivion...

MrsB

Thank you all, been quite helpful. I learned a lot about geocoins today. I also activated the three that I own now and put them in my collection. It still says that I have not set my collectible preference, so I don't know what that means, and it seems nobody else does either. Maybe someday Groundspeak will enlighten us.

Thank you all, been quite helpful. I learned a lot about geocoins today. I also activated the three that I own now and put them in my collection. It still says that I have not set my collectible preference, so I don't know what that means, and it seems nobody else does either. Maybe someday Groundspeak will enlighten us.

If you got to you trackables home page and click on Edit This Trackable, then the 3rd thing down the page is called Is Collectible: with a Yes and No radio button to click - this is what you set for you geocoin. :)

If you set it to No, then This is not collectible will be displayed on the trackables home page

If you set it to Yes, then This is collectible will be displayed on the trackables home page

After you have set the option once, then in the future when you edit your trackable you have a Make this trackable collectible check box to change the option to the opposite one.

And whether it is listed as Collectible or not... you still seem to be able to move it to your collection! (I just tried)

Hope this is helpful. :)

Oh, and for anyone interested there is a feedback post for this collectables issue. Get if fixed by following this link and giving it some votes please:

Wording clarification needed re. Collectible / Not collectible trackables.

The more votes it has the higher it goes up the priority queue for Groundspeak to look at and fix this, so please give it 3 votes if you can. (Rather than the default of 1 vote)

Edited by keewee

If you got to you trackables home page and click on Edit This Trackable, then the 3rd thing down the page is called Is Collectible: with a Yes and No radio button to click - this is what you set for you geocoin. :)

If you set it to No, then This is not collectible will be displayed on the trackables home page

If you set it to Yes, then This is collectible will be displayed on the trackables home page

After you have set the option once, then in the future when you edit your trackable you have a Make this trackable collectible check box to change the option to the opposite one.

And whether it is listed as Collectible or not... you still seem to be able to move it to your collection! (I just tried)

Oh, and for anyone interested there is a feedback post for this collectables issue. Get if fixed by following this link and giving it some votes please:

The more votes it has the higher it goes up the priority queue for Groundspeak to look at and fix this, so please give it 3 votes if you can. (Rather than the default of 1 vote)

Now under review- Yay!

Now under review- Yay!

YAY - and about time!!

It shouldn't have had to come to that for then to lok at it as they put the confusing and unworkable system in in the first place. They really need to have "out siders" peer review changes before they go live to get a level/outside perspective on them.