ISS Cache (GC1BE91)

dfx

Regardless of some of the fine print stuff about what is and isn't a log and what is and isn't a legal cache, you have to admit that -

- Visiting the service module trainer and taking a photo of yourself in front of Locker 218,

- and then getting someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE GOOD GOD to bring it INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PART and "sign in" to the logbook-less cache by putting that picture in the parallel Locker 218,

- and taking a photo of the whole thing to boot

...is incredibly resourceful.

It may be resourceful, but the find was not OHL Hockey Guy, it was the "someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE" who made the find. Why doesn't he log the find? The OHL Hockey guy stunt makes a realy great "Note" on the cache page, but not a find.

In my first post, I didn't really think he was serious, but now I'm thinking maybe he is? I'm still more offended though that an adult recreational beer hockey league in Texas (of all places), is using the name of the greatest Junior Hockey League in the world. :D

I'm soooo tellin' on youuuuuu. Them's fightin' words..... :D

Wait, pretty much anything is fightin' words in hockey...... nevermind. B)

I chose to celebrate a fellow cacher who was inventive and had some fun we can all share in.
I appreciate the idea of getting your pic taken at the trainer & then getting it sent up to the ISS, but all the rest of the drivel posted by other cachers is just plain foolish. What happened to not turning a cache age into a discussion forum?

I chose to celebrate a fellow cacher who was inventive and had some fun we can all share in.

Well I'm not sure that I would "celebrate" it. I do think it is really cool!, but not a find. That would make a great note, worthy of a Groundspeak blog post. But it is still not a find. What happens when someone finally finds it for real. This stunt will really cheapen the actual FTF.

In my first post, I didn't really think he was serious, but now I'm thinking maybe he is? I'm still more offended though that an adult recreational beer hockey league in Texas (of all places), is using the name of the greatest Junior Hockey League in the world. :unsure:

You must mean the second greatest. The WHL is of course a much better league....

I'm soooo tellin' on youuuuuu. Them's fightin' words..... :(

Wait, pretty much anything is fightin' words in hockey...... nevermind. :angry:

That is clearly bigoted racism. I am offended! :D

Well I'm not sure that I would "celebrate" it. I do think it is really cool!, but not a find. That would make a great note, worthy of a Groundspeak blog post. But it is still not a find. What happens when someone finally finds it for real. This stunt will really cheapen the actual FTF.

This is an exceptional cache. Exceptional in that as a locationless cache with no log book it is an exception to the general rules. Why not an exceptional find log?

Regardless of some of the fine print stuff about what is and isn't a log and what is and isn't a legal cache, you have to admit that -

- Visiting the service module trainer and taking a photo of yourself in front of Locker 218,

- and then getting someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE GOOD GOD to bring it INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PART and "sign in" to the logbook-less cache by putting that picture in the parallel Locker 218,

- and taking a photo of the whole thing to boot

...is incredibly resourceful.

EXCELLENT POST

Nobody brought that pic into outer space.

It was probably emailed & printed off up there.

If you were going to send a pic up there, don't you think you would have used a better photo print? E-mailed, or maybe HAM radio data transfer (does that exist). That would be cooler, but still not a find.

For the 3rd or 4th time; Why Oh Why didn't the space person log the find instead of OHL Hockey guy? Then there would be no debate. OHL Hockey guy could still have a note on the page, and the actual finder would have a find log.

This stunt will really cheapen the actual FTF.

:angry: You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

The goint to space experience will not be cheepend, but I do think the geocaching part would be.

which brings up the most important question: do inkjet printers work in zero gravity? :angry:

They could put the printer in a centrifuge, or maybe they have special static electrically directed ink jet. Hey, DFX, try turning your inkjet printer upside down and printing like that.

:( You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

The goint to space experience will not be cheepend, but I do think the geocaching part would be.

I can see the log now. "If it weren't for the FTF on this geocache I would have never gone to the space station." :angry:

This is really cheeseball. He should have just wrote an awesome note.

It's no more cheeseball than the original placement of the cache, IMHO. I'm not sure what that "thing" on the ISS is, but it's certainly not a geocache. Moving caches aren't allowed. There's no logbook. You can't find it with a GPS, and no GPS was used to hide it.

It may be resourceful, but the find was not OHL Hockey Guy, it was the "someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE" who made the find. Why doesn't he log the find? The OHL Hockey guy stunt makes a realy great "Note" on the cache page, but not a find.
I don't know about that.

I think the person who suggested that the guy in the pic and teh guy taking the pic are a 'team' might have it right.

Imagine a man and wife who always log under the same account. The wife goes far away on a business trip and finds a few caches while there. She logs them to their account and moves on. They were valid finds, so no one cares about it. She and her husband don't have a problem with it because he's never going to go after those caches anyhow. While she's gone, he finds some micros near home. He logs them to thier account. She has no problem with it because she doesn't like micros.

How does the ISS find differ from my man-and-wife example?

It's no more cheeseball than the original placement of the cache, IMHO. I'm not sure what that "thing" on the ISS is, but it's certainly not a geocache. Moving caches aren't allowed. There's no logbook. You can't find it with a GPS, and no GPS was used to hide it.

but but... Groundspeak says it's a geocache, so it's a geocache!!!!!11oneone

I don't know about that.

I think the person who suggested that the guy in the pic and teh guy taking the pic are a 'team' might have it right.

Imagine a man and wife who always log under the same account. The wife goes far away on a business trip and finds a few caches while there. She logs them to their account and moves on. They were valid finds, so no one cares about it. She and her husband don't have a problem with it because he's never going to go after those caches anyhow. While she's gone, he finds some micros near home. He logs them to thier account. She has no problem with it because she doesn't like micros.

One difference is that no where on the log is there any indication that this is the case. The log appears to be an attempt by OHL dude to get a find for the ISS, not a team effort.

Well, yeah... their house, their rules. If they say it's a geocache, then it is. But I still refuse to look for it!

Well, yeah... their house, their rules. If they say it's a geocache, then it is. But I still refuse to look for it!

Here, here! I too refuse to spend a bagillion dollars and undergo rigorous training to charter a flight on a rocket!

:angry:

I don't know about that.

One difference is that no where on the log is there any indication that this is the case. The log appears to be an attempt by OHL dude to get a find for the ISS, not a team effort.

Well, it's a team effort on it's face, isn't it?

:angry: You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

If someone actually goes to space, do you think the geocaching part is very important anyway??

:) You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

If someone actually goes to space, do you think the geocaching part is very important anyway??

Schwwwwaaaaaaah. Like I'd go into space for some other reason?!? Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

:o You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

Schwwwwaaaaaaah. Like I'd go into space for some other reason?!? Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

I'd go for the zero G human fertility experiments. :huh:

Hey, if we're to become a spacefaring race and get all of our proverbial eggs outta this terrestrial basket we gotta test it out.... Right? :)

:o You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

Hey, if we're to become a spacefaring race and get all of our proverbial eggs outta this terrestrial basket we gotta test it out.... Right? :)

You want to get 'fertilized' in space? I'm pretty sure that even without gravity, it's not going to take.

You want to get 'fertilized' in space? I'm pretty sure that even without gravity, it's not going to take.

Sounds like the 'testing' is more critical than the actual success rate.

The going to space experience will not be cheapened, but I do think the geocaching part would be.

I'm pretty sure that no amount (or lack) of gravity will contribute to a sucessful fertilization of a human male or male Snoogans. But I'm no rocket surgeon.

:D You think that someone who actually goes the ISS is going to have his experience "cheapened" because someone posted a find log because he got a picture of himself on the ISS?

If I went to space, the geocaching part would be a significant portion of the coolness.(>35%)

The question that occurs to me is: Why would anyone put a locked cache on his watchlist, and then complain when it is unlocked?

nobody was complaining about it getting unlocked. people were complaining about the BS logs posted there (44 of them within less than 24 hours btw).

Edited by dfx
The question that occurs to me is: Why would anyone put a locked cache on his watchlist, and then complain when it is unlocked?
nobody was complaining about it getting unlocked. people were complaining about the BS logs posted there (44 of them within less than 24 hours btw).
+2

On any other cache where a "discussion" breaks out in the logs, if it comes to the attention of a reviewer, they tell 'em to take it to the forums. Why should the expectation be any different for this cache? Even more so, this cache being a high profile cache.

+2

On any other cache where a "discussion" breaks out in the logs, if it comes to the attention of a reviewer, they tell 'em to take it to the forums. Why should the expectation be any different for this cache? Even more so, this cache being a high profile cache.

Apparently caches in Long Island are exempt too.

I have a TB headed to the ISS cache with astronaut Rick Mastracchio. Check out TB5JJN1 and add to your trackables watch list. Follow the adventure on twitter @astroRM or on Facebook at Rick Mastracchio.

Did you send a photo of yourself to Rick so that he can take a picture of it next to the locker so that you can claim a find on the ISS cache?

I have a TB headed to the ISS cache with astronaut Rick Mastracchio. Check out TB5JJN1 and add to your trackables watch list. Follow the adventure on twitter @astroRM or on Facebook at Rick Mastracchio.

I am a teacher in Texas and I just started teaching geocaching as an actual minicourse to my students. How can I find out how to do this. I am learning as I go as well. Please help:) Much thanks

I am a teacher in Texas and I just started teaching geocaching as an actual minicourse to my students. How can I find out how to do this. I am learning as I go as well. Please help:) Much thanks

Click here : http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB5JJN1 then click on the right where it says "Watch this trackable item", and you will receive an Email every time everyone posts something for that TB. You can also browse past entries from the same page.

Find it interesting that Groundspeak decided to allow this cache which has moving coordinates, and no log, but archived and locked this one:

International Space Station

I find it interesting that the geocache is listed as a traditional cache. Am I wrong in thinking that this cache should be listed as a multicache or a mystery cache? After all the cache isn't at the listed location. You have to go to the listed location to find the coordinates (and arrange travel) for the final cache.