ISS Cache (GC1BE91)

dfx

people are posting all kinds of BS

Why? If they wouldn't post there unless they found it, the listing probably would never have been locked in the first place.

So a better title for this thread would be: Why are people posting nonsense on a cache listing when they never found (or even attempted to find) the cache?

Why? If they wouldn't post there unless they found it, the listing probably would never have been locked in the first place.

So a better title for this thread would be: Why are people posting nonsense on a cache listing when they never found (or even attempted to find) the cache?

yeah, only that the only way to keep them from doing it is by locking the listing. discussing why they would do it and why they shouldn't won't fix the problem.

Edited by dfx

HOLY CRAP STEVEN DID IT! :wub::blink:

He told me he had something in the works and I so totally didn't believe him.

WTG MAN! That's closer than any of us can get.

Totally bogus. 100% lame, MAN.

I agree with Cardinal Red here. Doing it that way, although creative, kinda defeats the purpose of the cache. Plus it's gonna open up a whole new can of worms on how to get credit for a find :D . Just my $0.02 :grin: .

Well it looks like some one did make a attempt. Or at lest claims to. More PR for Gocaching

I am surprised no one wants to have it archived for a host of reasons.

You know how folks can be interpreting the guidelines.

Nowhere in the guidelines does it say you have to sign the log. If the cache owner wants to allow a find for getting your picture put up on the ISS by an astronaut or cosmonaut, nothing in the guidelines prevent this. (I would have given the astronaut a sticker with my name to put in the log book, however. Just to satisfy the puritans :grin: )

Well it looks like some one did make a attempt. Or at lest claims to. More PR for Gocaching

I am surprised no one wants to have it archived for a host of reasons.

You know how folks can be interpreting the guidelines.

Nowhere in the guidelines does it say you have to sign the log. If the cache owner wants to allow a find for getting your picture put up on the ISS by an astronaut or cosmonaut, nothing in the guidelines prevent this. (I would have given the astronaut a sticker with my name to put in the log book, however. Just to satisfy the puritans :grin: )

No, you don't have to sign the physical logbook, however ....

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

So the puritan point of view is no signature in the physical logbook, no find, no online log. No signature in the physical logbook means press you can press the delete key. But a sticker would make it harder for the puritan to argue the point.

98bdddf9-32db-4212-820a-77e08adacef7.jpg

Someone got someone at the ISS to find it and put his picture next to it! Seems like a "find" to me!

If you look at the picture it is an actual picture (so he claims) of OHL Hockey Guy in front of the locker. Not just a random picture of him at his house or something. So it appears he was up there? Unless it is a doctored picture how else could you get a pic of yourself on the ISS?

**Correction. He says he was in the Training Module which must be down here on Earth. Close enough! :grin:

Edited by slukster

Someone got someone at the ISS to find it and put his picture next to it! Seems like a "find" to me!

If you look at the picture it is an actual picture (so he claims) of OHL Hockey Guy in front of the locker. Not just a random picture of him at his house or something. So it appears he was up there? Unless it is a doctored picture how else could you get a pic of yourself on the ISS?

**Correction. He says he was in the Training Module which must be down here on Earth. Close enough! :grin:

I just read the find log. He claims to have been there in front of the cache when the pic was taken. So as long as he is not lieing, it is a find. If I was the CO, I would make the cacher privide proof of being on the ISS. If you were on board, it should not be difficult to prove.

Edit: Didn't notice the Training Module statment. So no, it is not a find. It is a very cool note to put on the cache page though.

Edit again: How is it that people are Discovering the travel bug up there? Who was the genious who leaked a pic of the tracking numer? Why hasn't the bug owner deleted the boggus Discover logs?

Edit again: Why doesn't this TJ Creamer guy just log a ligit found log? What is with the boggus logging?

Also, the page is agian locked.

Edited by Andronicus

Nowhere in the guidelines does it say you have to sign the log. If the cache owner wants to allow a find for getting your picture put up on the ISS by an astronaut or cosmonaut, nothing in the guidelines prevent this.

The above is a copy and paste from the following location:

"Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines"

under Logging of All Physical Caches

I read all the time where people make the claims that it is not listed anywhere on geocaching.com, but it is.

Let the guide line interpretations posts begin. Said wile ducking for cover.

His helper is now part of his team, and they log all finds as a team...but what's up with the giant pearl earring??

Point 1) Teams are cool when one guy squeezes into a hole to grab the cache, or climbs the tree, but when you are not even withing 170 miles of the cache, it isn't a find. I ask again, why is it OHL Hockey Guy claiming the find, and not TJ Creamer (the person on the ISS)?

Point 2) agreed, what is up with that earring.

Nowhere in the guidelines does it say you have to sign the log. If the cache owner wants to allow a find for getting your picture put up on the ISS by an astronaut or cosmonaut, nothing in the guidelines prevent this.

"Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines"

I read all the time where people make the claims that it is not listed anywhere on geocaching.com, but it is.

The problem is that the guideline you quote doesn't mean what you think it does. First of all you have to know that this guideline did not exist until April 3, 2009. It was added because additional logging requirements were no longer allowed after that date. The existing ALR cache were not grandfathered. Instead cache owners were told to cease deleting Found logs based on additional logging requirements. At the same time, cache finders were told that they could log their find on line once the physical log was signed; meaning that they did not have to do any additional requirements that a cache owner may have stated on the cache page before logging their find. The guidelines were written as they were to allow cache owners to delete Find logs if the the physical log was not signed. They do not require that cache owners delete logs. They do not forbid caches from entering a Found log unless the physical log is signed. If a cache owner wants to allow Found logs using some alternative to having to sign the physical log they are permitted.

TPTB have, however, taken a stand against what they call couch potato logging. This is a practice of logging virtual caches because you can find the answer to the verification question online or you can photoshop a picture of yourself at the location. While I personally think it was silly and unnecessary for Groundseak to take a stand against couch potato logs, it would seem that this log on the ISS cache is a couch potato log. If they are going to consistent, the cache owner would have to delete this log or the cache should be archived. There are many virtual caches that I could've found (including one that I have legitimately found) that I cannot log because the Groundspeak policy on couch potato logging has resulted in the caches being archived and locked.

The problem is that the guideline you quote doesn't mean what you think it does. First of all you have to know that this guideline did not exist until April 3, 2009. It was added because additional logging requirements were no longer allowed after that date. The existing ALR cache were not grandfathered. Instead cache owners were told to cease deleting Found logs based on additional logging requirements. At the same time, cache finders were told that they could log their find on line once the physical log was signed; meaning that they did not have to do any additional requirements that a cache owner may have stated on the cache page before logging their find. The guidelines were written as they were to allow cache owners to delete Find logs if the the physical log was not signed. They do not require that cache owners delete logs. They do not forbid caches from entering a Found log unless the physical log is signed. If a cache owner wants to allow Found logs using some alternative to having to sign the physical log they are permitted.

TPTB have, however, taken a stand against what they call couch potato logging. This is a practice of logging virtual caches because you can find the answer to the verification question online or you can photoshop a picture of yourself at the location. While I personally think it was silly and unnecessary for Groundseak to take a stand against couch potato logs, it would seem that this log on the ISS cache is a couch potato log. If they are going to consistent, the cache owner would have to delete this log or the cache should be archived. There are many virtual caches that I could've found (including one that I have legitimately found) that I cannot log because the Groundspeak policy on couch potato logging has resulted in the caches being archived and locked.

My token disagreement.

Quoting history and your feelings on the reason for the changes, doesn't change what it says in the guidelines I copied and pasted. People say all the time that it is not listed anywhere on geocacihng.com, but it is. To go back to the begining, even before Dave Ulmer posted that he hid the first stash, he posted his idea on a usenet group:

Subject: The Great American GPS Stash Hunt !

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav

Date: 2000/05/03

--

The Great American GPS Stash Hunt !!

--

Now that SA is off we can start a worldwide Stash Game!! With

Non-SA accuracy it should be easy to find a stash from waypoint

information. Waypoints of secret stashes could be shared on the

Internet, people could navigate to the stashes and get some

stuff. The only rule for stashes is: Get some Stuff, Leave some

Stuff!! The more valuable the stuff the more stashes will be

started.

I'm thinking of half burying a five gallon plastic bucket with

lid at the stash point. Putting in some stuff. Adding a logbook

and pencil so visitors can record their find. The log should

contain: Date, Time, What you got, and What you put in. Scanning

the log book should give you a quick inventory of the stash.

I'll look for a place near a road where few people would

normally go... Put in some cash, an old digital camera, and some

antique silverware!! I will come up with a cool name for my

stash and post coordinates soon!!!

Make your own stash in a unique location, put in some stuff and

a log book. Post the location on the Internet. Soon we will have

thousands of stashes all over the world to go searching for.

Have Fun!!

Dave...

So history is on the side of signing and dating the logbook as well as the current guidelines.

Edited by M 5

A few things to note.

1. He originally had his "Find" as a note asking if it was okay, this was when I posted the picture.

2. Could it be that Groundspeak opened it up for the sole reason of allowing this guy to log it (Or possibly just attach his picture to the cache?) If so then that would make sense of why it was unlocked.

3. My note, along with most others was deleted by a lackey. One of the only ones left is the "found it" log... further proving my point.

4. After it was locked a second time, they unlocked it AGAIN for him to change is log from a note to a find. (As his log was deleted when mine was.)

Edited by Coldgears

My token disagreement.

Nearly all topics in the forums end up as "sign the physical logs argument"

The cache hint indicates to find the cache you must find a way to the ISS "THAT" is the hard part.

Gettin your pic taken and hung up is not a 5 5 cache... no way no how

This cache never and I mean never should have been published. It actually needs archived because you cannot use a GPSr to find it.

Quoting history and your feelings on the reason for the changes, doesn't change what it says in the guidelines I copied and pasted. People say all the time that it is not listed anywhere on geocacihng.com, but it is. To go back to the begining, even before Dave Ulmer posted that he hid the first stash, he posted his idea on a usenet group:

Subject: The Great American GPS Stash Hunt !

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav

Date: 2000/05/03

--

The Great American GPS Stash Hunt !!

--

Now that SA is off we can start a worldwide Stash Game!! With

Non-SA accuracy it should be easy to find a stash from waypoint

information. Waypoints of secret stashes could be shared on the

Internet, people could navigate to the stashes and get some

stuff. The only rule for stashes is: Get some Stuff, Leave some

Stuff!! The more valuable the stuff the more stashes will be

started.

I'm thinking of half burying a five gallon plastic bucket with

lid at the stash point. Putting in some stuff. Adding a logbook

and pencil so visitors can record their find. The log should

contain: Date, Time, What you got, and What you put in. Scanning

the log book should give you a quick inventory of the stash.

I'll look for a place near a road where few people would

normally go... Put in some cash, an old digital camera, and some

antique silverware!! I will come up with a cool name for my

stash and post coordinates soon!!!

Make your own stash in a unique location, put in some stuff and

a log book. Post the location on the Internet. Soon we will have

thousands of stashes all over the world to go searching for.

Have Fun!!

Dave...

So history is on the side of signing and dating the logbook as well as the current guidelines.

Where did Dave Ulmert say anything about logging a find online?

Caches have log books. When you find the cache you should record that in the log book. Most people don't put in the time, what you got, and what you put in. In fact most don't put their name anymore and instead use their gocaching.com account name. Sometimes people just write their initials. So you're treading on thin ice using instructions that Dave Ulmert wrote for the first geocache as some kind of rule for when to log a find online.

Logging a find online has little to tie it to "rules" about signing logs. Nowhere does it indicate that signing the log = the find. You write in the physical log to record your visit so others can see you were there. In a way, signing the log also serves as proof that you found the cache - but it isn't really finding the cache, just something you do after you find the cache like trading stuff. The online log is a way to share your experience with others. If you found the cache you use a Found It log. If you searched and didn't find they cache, you use a DNF log. If you didn't sign the log when you found the cache, it doesn't mean you didn't find it. It does mean that the primary form of proof that you actually were at the cache is missing. If a cache owner is unwilling to accept other proof (or take your word that you found the cache) then they can delete your Found It log. Simple.

Now what does all this have to do with the log on the ISS cache? I agree, it doesn't seem to me that OHL Hockey Guy found the cache. It looks to me like a couch potato log, and Groundspeak has archived virtual caches whose owners allow couch potato logs. But aside from the unwritten rule against couch potato logging, if a cache owner wants to allow a Found log on his cache where the the cache was not found (regardless of whether or not there was a log to sign), then it's up to the cache owner to decide this.

His helper is now part of his team, and they log all finds as a team...but what's up with the giant pearl earring??

Point 2) agreed, what is up with that earring.

It's not an earring, it's a hole in the paper, looks like from one of those 3-hole punches. Unless you're referring to the thing attached to the travel bug, in which case I can't tell what that is from this picture.

As for sending a travel bug to the ISS, the only issue I would have is getting proper and accurate mileage reported. Sure, it's listed as 6512.7 miles away, but I'd expect to see that TB end up with over a million miles on it by the time it gets to the next cache.

Edited by ScarabDrowner

An interesting idea:

1. Visit the ISS;

2. Place a cache in the Training Module on the ground, in Baikonur (with permission);

3. Publish the cache, giving its actual coordinates, but claiming it's on the ISS. List it as a mystery if necessary.

Sure, the mystery around the cache will fall apart soon after the FTF is claimed and word about the trick gets out, but until then it will be a "magnet" for geocachers all over the world.

SSIA.

http://coord.info/GC1BE91 used to be locked, but now isn't any more. people are posting all kinds of BS, making having it on the watchlist really useless. why was it unlocked?

To allow OHL Hockey Guy to log his find of course. When I saw the name, I figured he was "one of yours", but I see he's from Texas, and it's some other "OHL". Kind of cute acutally, I'm sure he's just messing around. B)

Regardless of some of the fine print stuff about what is and isn't a log and what is and isn't a legal cache, you have to admit that -

- Visiting the service module trainer and taking a photo of yourself in front of Locker 218,

- and then getting someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE GOOD GOD to bring it INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PART and "sign in" to the logbook-less cache by putting that picture in the parallel Locker 218,

- and taking a photo of the whole thing to boot

...is incredibly resourceful.

Regardless of some of the fine print stuff about what is and isn't a log and what is and isn't a legal cache, you have to admit that -

- Visiting the service module trainer and taking a photo of yourself in front of Locker 218,

- and then getting someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE GOOD GOD to bring it INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PART and "sign in" to the logbook-less cache by putting that picture in the parallel Locker 218,

Exactly! B)

It gave me a great chuckle. I don't begrudge him a pseudo-find for that bit of shenanigans. This game is supposed to be fun... isn't it?

MrsB

Exactly! :D

It gave me a great chuckle. I don't begrudge him a pseudo-find for that bit of shenanigans. This game is supposed to be fun... isn't it?

MrsB

Well I'm jealous, but not in the green monster way. :D I'm ultra happy an everyday geocacher got that much accomplished and it's kinda cool that I knew about for quite awhile even if I didn't believe it. B)

My note, along with most others was deleted by a lackey.
To say what I think about those who filled my inbox up with a bunch of bogus logs would break the forum guidelines, so I'll just quote Klondike Mike:
Like watching paint dry, except some clowns keep coming by and running their finger through it.
Next time, keep it to yourself, thank you.

It may be resourceful, but the find was not OHL Hockey Guy, it was the "someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE" who made the find. Why doesn't he log the find? The OHL Hockey guy stunt makes a realy great "Note" on the cache page, but not a find.

It may be resourceful, but the find was not OHL Hockey Guy, it was the "someone who is GOING INTO OUTER FLIPPING SPACE" who made the find. Why doesn't he log the find? The OHL Hockey guy stunt makes a realy great "Note" on the cache page, but not a find.

In my first post, I didn't really think he was serious, but now I'm thinking maybe he is? I'm still more offended though that an adult recreational beer hockey league in Texas (of all places), is using the name of the greatest Junior Hockey League in the world. B)