Oregon 450 does not update logs

2lablovers

You have to generate a new file, and download again. The updates do not happen real time.

I knew it didn't do it automatically but if I run a PQ or individual file, it does not update the logs. It does work for me to delete the file and then download it as a new one. I just thought I could run a PQ once a week and it would update , didn't think i had to delete the files to get an update.

You have to generate a new file, and download again. The updates do not happen real time.

I knew it didn't do it automatically but if I run a PQ or individual file, it does not update the logs. It does work for me to delete the file and then download it as a new one. I just thought I could run a PQ once a week and it would update , didn't think i had to delete the files to get an update.

The way you just worded that, I'm wondering if we have some confusion about the files residing at gc.com for download and later deletion, and the files downloaded to your Oregon and their later deletion.

If you re-run a PQ at gc.com, you will eventually get a new file of the same name (whatever your PQ generates for a file name). Although there is an option to "delete" the files waiting for you on the gc.com site (even after you have downloaded them), it is not required. You do not need to delete the files on the gc.com site before running the PQ again. New files will be added to the list for download. This user appearance on their site is a little hinkey in that the old and new files remain separate on the gc.com site (you can see the difference in the dates), but produce the same filename when you download them. I'm sure they're stored with some unique internal filename at gc.com that permits this to occur. Long and short of it, no need to ever delete there. After a week, they'll disappear anyway. I kill mine off after downloading more as a courtesy to gc.com. No need for them to be wasting server space storing files I've already downloaded.

IF you copy a downloaded PQ file to your Oregon, and it has the same name as a file already on your Oregon, it will overwrite the file of the same name on your Oregon - no different than any PC type file copy, for that matter. Here's what is unique: Because the new file copied to your Oregon has a different time/date stamp (even with the same name), your Oregon will recognize this as as a new file and load the information from the new file after tossing out whatever it knew (it keeps an internal working version) about the same caches before from some previous file.

There should be no need to delete the file on your Oregon if you are overwriting it with a file of the exact same name during the file copy.

In essence -- in most cases, you never need to manually delete anything on either end.

Exceptions on the Oregon side that come to mind:

If you are loading caches one by one from the cache web pages, they will eventually begin to clutter things up on your Oregon. Deleting them manually after you are "done" with them (typically after a "found" log) is the only way to be rid of them.

If you are running PQs under a variety of different temporary names, and there will come a time when you don't plan to use those names again, you'll have to manually delete those files from your Oregon that you no longer need or want there.

My apologies if it is bad form to reply to such an old topic, but I have what sounds like a similar issue. I have an Oregon 450 and have two 1000-cache PQs that I downloaded like 2 weeks ago and loaded onto my Oregon with BaseCamp.

I actually have those 2 PQs currently set to run 7 days a week and the "last run" time stamp on GC.com is updated and I get the emails every day saying they ran. So, I can:

* Delete my old .ZIP and .GPX files from my computer, download them again from GC.com (even though the file names are the same, I deleted the old ones more as a troubleshooting step)

* Open BaseCamp and delete ALL of the cache's from my Oregon 450 and delete the old imported GPx files from "My Collection" in BaseCamp

* Import the 2 new GPX files into BaseCamp

* "Send to" the 2 imported GPX files to get them on my Oregon.

* Eject my Oregon 450

* Unplug the Oregon, turn it on and I still can't see the logs that were added to caches in the past couple of weeks.

I know there are new logs, because I can see them on the website. I know the GPX files are newly generated because I deleted the old ones from GC.com and waited for them to be generated again.

After deleting everything, I have even ejected the Oregon and turned it on (so that it loads all maps and things (in case something doesn't process until that happens), then turned it off and plugged it back into the computer before loading the new files onto it. That didn't make any difference.

What am I missing?

Hmm... alright, maybe it's a BaseCamp problem, not a PQ problem and not an Oregon 450 problem. Using, for example, "Hidey Hole With a View" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0427247e-f51d-4f8a-9d11-e9690a53942d)... when I load thep GPX from the PQ into BaseCamp (without even plugging in the Oregon) and look at the details of that cache, the latest log is from April 23 ("In the area. Signed the new log. Thanks."), but there are 2 entries since then.

The GPX file from the PQ was just generated this morning. I opened the file with Notepad and was able to find the entry for Hidey Hole With a View and the entry DOES include the newest logs! So, why are they not being shown by BaseCamp if they are in the file?

The GPX file from the PQ was just generated this morning. I opened the file with Notepad and was able to find the entry for Hidey Hole With a View and the entry DOES include the newest logs! So, why are they not being shown by BaseCamp if they are in the file?

Good question, which I can't answer, but I can make the following suggestion: Skip the Basecamp step. Load the PQ's GPX files onto your Oregon by simply copying the files. Most likely this will fix your issue.

Edited by dfx

Good question, which I can't answer, but I can make the folowing suggestion: Skip the Basecamp step. Load the PQ's GPX files onto your Oregon by simply copying the files. Most likely this will fix your issue.

Thanks for the advice. I might just start doing that. I think I figured it out, or at least a work-around, after some poking around. I had been deleting the GPX files from "My Collection" in BaseCamp by highlighting them and pressing the Delete key on the keyboard, but then I found that if I right-click on the GPX file, I see 2 different delete options. One for "Remove List" and one for "Delete List and Contents". I think pressing Delete does the first option, because when I right-clicked and did the second option, then loaded the new GPX file, BaseCamp was showing the updated logs. So, if the "contents" are in BaseCamp already, it must not overwrite the existing cache with the copy from the GPX for whatever reason.

Now that I've wasted all this time on BaseCamp (and having no idea what advantage BaseCamp offers, other than loading maps, which I actually use MapSource for anyway)...

how do I put the GPX on the GPSr? Just drop it in the GARMIN\GPX folder or some other location? If there are caches taht exist in more than one PQ, due to overlap, will they double up on the GPSr?

how do I put the GPX on the GPSr? Just drop it in the GARMIN\GPX folder or some other location? If there are caches taht exist in more than one PQ, due to overlap, will they double up on the GPSr?

Yep, exactly there. Duplicates are handled gracefully in that only one of them will show up, but it will be random which one of the duplicate you will see (in case there's different data for the same caches in different PQs). You may wanna restructure your PQs so they don't generate any duplicates at all, if possible.

Duplicates are handled gracefully in that only one of them will show up, but it will be random which one of the duplicate you will see (in case there's different data for the same caches in different PQs). You may wanna restructure your PQs so they don't generate any duplicates at all, if possible.

Well, if it doesn't hurt, then I don't see why it matters. I just wanted a larger area around my home than 1000 caches would cover, so I have 2 overlapping PQs that form sort of a big oval. I don't really care if it's random which one I see on the Oregon, as long as I only see one. I don't do the logging on the Oregon directly, I come back to the web site for that.

Thanks for your advice. Loading the GPX files directly is def faster, only save about a minute, but if I wind up updating the GPSr several times a week, that adds up fast.