Travel Bug Logging

Fledermaus

Why is it so difficult for some people to log the travel bug they pick up or drop off in the cache page comment, travel bug's page and in the log book as well?

There have been several cases in my area where travel bugs simply dissappeared, much to the dislike of the travel bug owner, simply because no one knew where they were or who had taken them, all because no one cared to log them in one fashion or another.

If this is the work of newbies, I only have one bit of advice. If you don't know what a travel bug is when you find it, then leave it there until you do know what to do.

Furthormore, re-hide caches that you find better than you found it. I get tired of finding my caches expose to anyone who passes, subsequently causing it's loss and yours.

When All Else Fails, RTFM!

quote:

Furthormore, re-hide caches that you find better than you found it. I get tired of finding my caches expose to anyone who passes, subsequently causing it's loss and yours.

When All Else Fails, RTFM!

Now read this, posted by BrianSnat posted July 22, 2003 02:22 PM in the General Discussions section to the "Are you thick" thread:

quote:
On the other hand, why do people hide it BETTER than I hid it? I rated it 1.5 stars and hid it in a manner that corresponded to the rating. Then I start getting a bunch of 'not founds' for a cache that should be an easy find!!!!!

It is better to re-hide the cache the way you found it. Then, leave a note in your log, or email the owner, with a suggestion that it should be hidden better. Owners must visit their caches frequently to ensure that they are placed the way they intended, among other things.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..."

Now, now you two! Don't make me separate you!

There was a local cache that I had found and it was a 1/1 rating. Later, there was then a long string of DNF's on it and I went back to see if it was still there. The hiding location was trashed and I couldn't find it where I had seen it last time. I figured it had been plundered. I then recommended that the cache be archived and the owner obliged. Turns out that the last person to hide it probably hid it better that it was originally as they confirmed it was still there. I'm still a new-geo, but I doubt it was still a 1/1 hide.

Cache: Salsbury Steak Cache