Oregon 550 or 62S?

Some of you may recall I owned a 550 Oregon which was damaged while on a road trip so I bought a 62S to finish the trip.

While the Oregon was away I really enjoyed using the 62S, but yesterday the replacement (refurbished) Oregon 550 got back from Raytech, Garmin's Canadian repair depot, and now that I have the 550 in my grubby hands, I just can't let go of it.

My original intention, when I bought the 62S, was to sell the Oregon when it got back from repair, but there's no way I can do that now. The Oregon screen is just so much more detailed than the 62! It's beautiful, in comparison to the somewhat cobby, but slightly easier to see while on a motorcycle, screen on the 62S.

And I really like the camera on the 550. It's not great, but it is "good enough". And the touch screen works well. And it's a bit smaller. It doesn't squeak, though that's not an issue to me.

So it looks like I'm just going to have to keep both and use whichever is best for the actual activity I'm doing.

Oh well. Such is life.

Hi there,

I was faced with a similar dilema with a 62s and an Oregon300. I ended up selling the 300. Why? Well firstly was the screen readability. While the 300 screen was undoubtedly more crisp and detailed, when outdoors I ended up using my 62 for readability. What's more was the preference for buttons over the touchscreen interface. Another was the menu system; I could access most of the screen specific setup options from each screen without having to back out and enter the setup screen. Lastly I like the sat pickup of my 62 better. The quad-helix is a better creature than the ceramic from what I've seen.

It's a preference call, what's important or what benefits you most.

Wow, I just went through the EXACT same thing! Oregon 550 went down, replaced first with a Delorme PN-60. Hated it. Took it back, got the 62S. Loved it. 550 got back, and after a few days of carrying around both, I settled on the Oregon.

Being honest, I think my decision was because I am just so used to working with the Oregon. But I also love having the camera around everywhere I geocache.

It's a tough decision. Like the guy above me said, it's all about what makes you happy in the end!

Wow, I just went through the EXACT same thing! Oregon 550 went down, replaced first with a Delorme PN-60. Hated it. Took it back, got the 62S. Loved it. 550 got back, and after a few days of carrying around both, I settled on the Oregon.

Being honest, I think my decision was because I am just so used to working with the Oregon. But I also love having the camera around everywhere I geocache.

It's a tough decision. Like the guy above me said, it's all about what makes you happy in the end!

I was just reading through the post, why did you hate the PN-60?