Small PT with Bison Tubes

Not a fan of power trails but as long as the caches meet the guideline requirements and the containers are adequate to protect the contents in the selected locations you should be good to go.

I don't even know if it would be considered "Power Trail", more like "Big Series" along a trail of Nanaimo BC.

No records are meant to be broken, and it's all walking or on bike.

No sense making 'em all the same same.

Agreed. There are many, (myself included), who detest micros placed in Nature. This is a series that would go on my ignore list. I does stir my curiosity a bit whenever I see someone intentionally select nothing but micros for a series. What is your motivation? Don't get me wrong. These are your caches. Hide whatever you wish. I was just wondering what prompted the choice. Do you prefer micros? Did you choose them because they are more cost effective? Easier to maintain? :blink:

On an unrelated note:

GOF, I love the new signature line!

I have a geocoin that addresses one aspect of that. :mad:

Pt-Power Trail

I think they're like the large plastic vials, not exactly sure. But something similar.

Are you talking about a "pre-form". These are reported to be good containers. A website local(ish) to you (worldcaching) sells them. Take a look and see it that is what you are refering to. (they are listed under Home :: Cache Containers :: Small Caches)

Are these called Bison tubes?

vy7b06.jpg

They are about twice the size of a 35mm film pot and have a good lid seal.

We've had two out all summer, one of them a bit exposed, and they have stayed dry as a bone.

Big enough for pathtags and small coins but not big enough for travel bug tags. Especially with a reasonable sized log and pencil in them.

Ideal for high muggle areas and not as tricky to find as the really small metal bison tubes.

It does sound like a pre-form. I was just introduced to them a couple of weeks ago, and then ran into my first in the field yesterday. They're tough containers. Apparently they are what 2-liter soda bottles are before they are shipped and then blown up and expanded at the bottling plant. The cap is pretty waterproof, for obvious reasons.

Pre-form on the left, bison tubes (which are always metal, AFAIK) on the right. They're not to scale, but keep in mind the size of a cap on a 2-liter soda bottle, and the size of a typical keyring, and you should have a decent sense of it. Bison tubes don't necessarily all come in this size - some are larger - but these are typical.

preform-tube-geocache-bottle%20blank-medium-350x262.JPG<--- pre-form .................... bison tubes --->6-bisons.jpg

I'd dice it up a bit. Different sizes and types. Perhaps a multi or two. A couple of smalls, a couple regulars. No sense making 'em all the same same.

Totally agree with this. I think having a variety of hide / container styles along a trail would be a lot more interesting for hikers.

I agree with the thoughts on mixing it up with sizes on the trail. If it's a nice enough spot, why not hide them a couple at a time, too? Bring people out multiple times and all that. Maybe you'll even encourage others to place caches on the trail so you'll have something to find, too!

As far as bison tubes being plastic vs metal: Yes, by definition, a genuine Bison Tube, made by the company Bison Designs (thus the name!) is metal. If you look hard enough, you can find plastic versions of the same kind of container. I found scads of them at a local discount store. I'd classify a preform as it's own container, and definitely not as a Bison Tube.

I agree with the thoughts on mixing it up with sizes on the trail. If it's a nice enough spot, why not hide them a couple at a time, too? Bring people out multiple times and all that. Maybe you'll even encourage others to place caches on the trail so you'll have something to find, too!

As far as bison tubes being plastic vs metal: Yes, by definition, a genuine Bison Tube, made by the company Bison Designs (thus the name!) is metal. If you look hard enough, you can find plastic versions of the same kind of container. I found scads of them at a local discount store. I'd classify a preform as it's own container, and definitely not as a Bison Tube.

Yep. Like that Lock-n-Lock container there are quite a few knock-offs on the Bison tube, that are often less expensive of less effective. I've used aluminum pill containers in places that shouldn't get a lot of water but they haven't always proved effective. I've also seen larger aluminum screw top containers that were specifically made for geocaches (complete with camo paint). They were about 2-3 times the size of a Bison tube. Probably the best plastic screw top container just a bit bigger than a Bison tube is a waterproof matchstick holder.

There is something along the lines of a power trail, though I think much of it has been achieved by cache density (like every 530 feet, or so) in Fremont, CA, along Alameda Creek. As there are a number of cache hiders, there are a variety of caches and hide styles which makes the trail interesting, as opposed to the exact same container in the exact same hide style, every so many feet.

My advice, along with others, break it up. Use a variety of containers, use natural cover (or cleverly crafted hides which can stand in the open) as much as possible. If there's adequate cover for a medium or large hide, don't sacrifice it to hang a bison tube in a tree.

Oversized test tubes, from a school supply place:

flelemsci72684.jpg

15 for $20.00

https://education.spectrum-nasco.ca/default.htm

Thanks for posting a pic of a soda bottle preform. :blink:

Oh, and they are a lot cheaper here.

they're not called pre-forms on that site, so another term might come in handy for folks searching for them. :mad:

also, OP is a fellow Canuck....I was just giving him/her a hint in where to find such things in CDN$.

:mad:

Edited by Pup Patrol
Would a small PT with most of them being large plastic bison tubes be fine?

What do you think?

I think a container like this is called a rhino tube. They are similar to a bison tube but slightly longer and fatter.

There's a series in CT called "Where the bison roam" that was really fun. The caches started out as bison tubes hidden in a very cool fashion, but they quickly lost their o-rings. The logs got damp and bunched up and couldn't be removed or replaced, so the owner is gradually replacing them with matchstick holders. They are very popular and people come from all over to do them.

I did them early on as bisons, and they were really fun. Went with some friends who did them as matchstick holders, and I definitely liked the bisons better. They were much harder to spot, but I can understand the ease of maintenance with the matchsticks holders.

Those look like they might be 50ml centrifuge tubes.

...or a suppository that you'll never find in the jungle.

Thanks sbell111 for identifying what these are. I shall stop referring to them as big bison tubes. Your theory explains why the tops are so watertight.

And, ahem, thank you Castle Mischief for your, erm, mischievous suggestion. Had a good laugh at that one. Although the thought that two of my caches might have been up someones bot .... no, they were new not secondhand .... surely. :mad:

:blink:

:grin: That's funny. When I order coffee it's "large black please".

My sig line is reputedly the most expensive single beverage ordered at a Starbucks. I do not, however, know of any verification by the folks at Starbucks.

OT: I confuse the heck out of the employees At SB. I ask for coffee black and they are stumped. Just put the coffee in the cup. Skip the poof poof. It's coffee. Drink it. Don't turn it into a shake.

/OT

No sense making 'em all the same same.

On an unrelated note:

GOF, I love the new signature line!

I have a geocoin that addresses one aspect of that. :wub:

:grin: That's funny. When I order coffee it's "large black please".

My sig line is reputedly the most expensive single beverage ordered at a Starbucks. I do not, however, know of any verification by the folks at Starbucks.

http://www.energyfiend.com/2008/01/what-is.../comment-page-2

vy7b06.jpg

They are about twice the size of a 35mm film pot and have a good lid seal.

We've had two out all summer, one of them a bit exposed, and they have stayed dry as a bone.

Big enough for pathtags and small coins but not big enough for travel bug tags. Especially with a reasonable sized log and pencil in them.

Ideal for high muggle areas and not as tricky to find as the really small metal bison tubes.

They look good.

50ml Sterile Conical Tubes 500 for $149. That's a pretty good price.

SPECIFICATIONS

* Side white labels (1-7/8" x 7/8")

* Tube height 4-5/8"

* 5ml graduations indicated including 7.5ml

* Molden in seal-ring ensures a leak-proof seal to prevent contamination

* Highest temperature +120C

* Lowest temperature -196C

* Micro-centrifuge safe and autoclavable

* Non-pyrogenic

* Max. RCF: 7500g