Garmin 24K Topo product defect

yogazoo

I spent some money for the Topo 24K DVD product from Garmin and it appears to be completely useless to me. The problem is that I spend alot of time on Indian Reservations in Montana and those reservations are represented by shaded areas otherwise known as a polygon. What happens is that the Indian Reservation polygon covers up all water features where the two coincide. It looks fine on my computer zoomed in but as you zoom out in MapSource you can see the phenomenon however when you transfer the maps to your unit the defect presents itself at all zoom levels.

I emailed Garmin and they directed me to NavTeq. Navteq turned around and directed me to Garmin. Looks like I'm SOL!

I posted this topic as a warning to those of you who might live, work, or frequent Indian Reservations. Do not purchase the 24K product as it is defective!

Here is an example of what the area should look like. Shown by the Garmin Inland Lakes Mapset - :mad:

1287113040.jpg

Here is the same exact area shown by the Topo 24K (DVD) series. - :blink:

1287113130.jpg

Here's a seperate area - Inland Lakes - :mad:

1287114270.jpg

Garmin Basemap - :mad:

1287114376.jpg

Topo 24K DVD - :mad:

1287114470.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks ecanderson for the suggestion, and believe me I have a MapSource dropdown menu packed to the gills with free maps that I do currently use. It just sucks that I paid a premium for the extras in that mapset just to have it be defective in this way. I'm just trying to help a brother out and make this defect known.

...great workaround. Too bad you loose the Res boundary info but I guess you can't have it all can you?
Can you set up one or more profiles on the GPS to easily toggle between showing the boundaries and not? You might not be able to "have it all" at the same time, but you might be able to flip back and forth as needed.

Have you tried the Montana land ownership map on gpsfiledepot.com?

I have not and I am not sure how it is set up. I've made some landownership maps for several states (but not MT). My maps work as an overlay. They are 50% transparnet so you can see what is below. If you use your workaround and the landownership map, it will solve your problem if the MT landownership map is set up like my maps.

I finally received a response from Garmin Cartography about this defect. Turns out the engineers think it can be fixed with a unit software. The software folks are working on a fix and should be released in a future software update.

It pays to bring things like this up to Garmin. Who knows, perhaps the error your plagued with hasn't been reported. In my experience, Garmin responds very well to properly documented and repeatable errors and usually acts on a fix asap.

I just can't believe I was the first to bring this up with Garmin and maybe I wasn't but their reaction was as it was previously unknown.

Edited by yogazoo