Why would someone do this?

Rubbertoe

I'm not sure I understand the reason behind this bug: Self Bugging

I dunno - I guess if I was worried about what caches I've visted, when, and the path that I had taken... I'd probably figure it up myself in a GPS app, rather than waste a bug.

I'm not saying this guy is wrong, or shouldn't do this... I'm just saying I don't get it. icon_smile.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I'm not sure that I see what the purpose is either. Maybe just another way to keep track of visited caches I guess. Who knows? As long as they are having fun with it that's all that matters I suppose. It would make it a little more interesting to have a photo or two with each log, but then again, it’s more for their entertainment not ours. icon_cool.gif

I guess it gives you a great map of your travels but MapSource will do about the same thing for me if I get the "hots". It seems a bit like riding backwards in a car--you can always see where you've been! icon_confused.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

If they paid for the TB tag, then it's probably up to them to decide if what they're doing is a "waste"...

I know. Which is why I said "I'm not saying this guy is wrong, or shouldn't do this... I'm just saying I don't get it."

This topic is being extended in another thread - appears to have been posted right around when I posted this topic. A fellow discussed how it enables him to have his log entry for every cache he's found on one page, so his friends and fellow cachers can see them. Now that's a good idea, imho.

I like it. Can it be setup so each registered user is automatically assigned a number and then use it? Or how about making it an option for the charter members? And can we have it automatically attach to each cache "find" we log? I would like to see the maps of some fellow cachers.

icon_razz.gif

Not to throw gas on the flame: can't you just click on the caches "found" on that person's profile page? It displays all the caches a cacher has visited... Granted, not on one page if you've been to more than 25 caches

icon_confused.gif

IMHO it seems that "personal TB's" are an ok idea, but that they should be a different category than a traditional TB...

quote:
A fellow discussed how it enables him to have his log entry for every cache he's found on one page, so his friends and fellow cachers can see them. Now that's a good idea, imho.

Since that's my bug you're talking about, maybe I should chime in here.

I started doing this after I read about 'Personal Travel Bugs' in another thread. It just seemed like something fun to do. I bought a package of 8 bugs, and this seemed like a neat way to experiment with them. I figure I can always clear the logs and recycle the bug when I get bored with it. Besides, I typically spend more than $3.75 on gas to go cache hunting for a day.

Really the only reason I'm doing it is to get a quick calculation of the cummulative miles I've travelled from one bug to the next. I'll agree this is redundant with data for my username, but I can't get a mileage calculation for my username. And yes, it can also be done with routes in a GPS app, but that sounds like a lot of work just to get the mileage.

The map for the travel bug is worthless and can be done much better elsewhere.

If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

I thought the miles from tb placement to tb placement were airline? Not a real accurate for figuring mileage you actually travel to get to / from the caches. But hey if it works for ya... I use the track log files from my gps, a bit more accurate, but thats what works for me. I just moved a tb 15ish miles but it took me almost 60 miles to do it.

yes the miles are point to point, but get this..my personal TB mileage is real close to the Trip mileage on the GPS, within 100 miles.

The personal TB is just something different to do with a TB, in fact it was really Jeremy's own idea, but nobody really caught on until I posted my intentions on the other thread.

Its too bad that people still see this as a competition, Ive read all the ranting about find #'s and now its TB mileage. Will it ever end? icon_confused.gif

When will people realize that Geocaching is only a game...not a contest? geez!

Bottom line...I bought the TB and will use it however I wish, there are no set rules! And Ill continue to use my personal TB to track mileage until Jeremy codes a new way to track mileage without using up a perfectly good TB. icon_smile.gif

C-Troop

quote:
Originally posted by C-Troop:

Its too bad that people still see this as a competition, Ive read all the ranting about find #'s and now its TB mileage.

_When will people realize that Geocaching is only a game...not a contest? geez!

I agree with the idea of this not being a contest - I've said it many times before in these forums, but imho this is something different.

I don't think that people are necessarily upset with personal travel bugs being listed in the top ten because they want to 'beat' someone or because they feel they are competing with other bug owners.

I think that people are more upset because they want to see the top ten 'naturally travelled' travel bugs, not a log of a bug that a super active geocacher has lugged around with them.

So, it's not a matter of them wanting to be better than other bug owners - it's a matter of them seeing a different 'style' of bug in the top ten list, which they think should not be there. icon_smile.gif

Just another way that you might explain how 'traditionalists' believe a travel bug should be used and logged:

At wheresgeorge.com, the way of spreading george'd bills is supposed to be natural. Regular spending, vending machines, change machines - etc. When people give their bills to friends to enter, or mail them to someone to enter, or even leave them in a cache - a lot of the people on their forums think that is wrong, because it doesn't go with the idea that the bills are supposed to travel naturally.

The same thing might be said for those folks who are upset about personal travel bugs. They feel that the method of tracking personal bugs along with regular bugs - it conflicts with the original idea of a travel bug being sent on a journey by itself, rather than being taken on one. icon_smile.gif

Personal travel bugs don't bother me... it's just not something I would do, but I don't see anything wrong with it. It would be nice if they were able to be tracked seperately, so the people concerned with stats wouldn't be so up in arms about it.