More Souvenirs on the way!

JYoungman

Is there any place keeping track of all of these? Like a wiki or a thread somewhere?
No, but there should be. I started a feedback item requesting this.

Here are the souvenirs I found last time I trawled a few people's profiles:

10/10/10

2010 BSA Jamboree

Baden-Württemburg

Bradenburg

Bayern

Berlin

Connecticut State

Delaware State

GC Test Souvenir
(not a real souvenir)

Geocoinfest 2010

GeoCRUSH 2010 Books & Music

GeoCRUSH 2010 Dance

GeoCRUSH 2010 Theatre

GeoCRUSH 2010 Visual Arts

Georgia State

Geowoodstock VIII

Groundspeak Headquarters

Lost & Found Celebration

Marination!

Maryland State

Massachusetts State

Mega Scotland

Midwest Geobash 2010

New Jersey State

Original Cache Location

Pennsylvania State

Project A.P.E. Cache

If GS don't implement a public master list then someone might end up writing a profile-scraping script :unsure:

(not me, of course)

Thanks for the souvenirs list.

Is the West Bend $1000 Cache Ba$h souvenir published? The event (GC2E0MD) is months away!

Another thing: could you update the souvenirs list to include hyperlinks, too? Cheers :(

EDIT to make my own hyperlink work ...

Edited by I!
being from Seattle...I can safely say I do not even know where Marination! came from. Am sure some folks know, but I sure dont, nor any of my friends who I have asked.

Looks like a commercial souvenir :)http://marinationmobile.com/

... but I don't know the qualifying criteria for the badge.

I suspect that you have to be a lackey to qualify for the Marination souvenir.

A lot of people have been asking for a list of what souvenirs have been released. I've created a thread in Geocaching Announcements to host the list. I'll update it as we release more souvenirs.

Link: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264608

any word one when the Colorado one will be out?

They're coming out in order in which the state entered into Statehood and so far they've come out about two a week (7 states so far). Colorado is #38 on the list. It'll probably be at least a couple of months before you see Colorado unless GS changes the frequency of their releases.

A lot of people have been asking for a list of what souvenirs have been released. I've created a thread in Geocaching Announcements to host the list. I'll update it as we release more souvenirs.

Right after Nebraska. They are releasing them in order. Colorado is #38. They are currently at #7.

being from Seattle...I can safely say I do not even know where Marination! came from. Am sure some folks know, but I sure dont, nor any of my friends who I have asked.
Looks like a commercial souvenir :)http://marinationmobile.com/... but I don't know the qualifying criteria for the badge.
I suspect that you have to be a lackey to qualify for the Marination souvenir.

Could this be relevant? http://twitter.com/moun10bike/statuses/4994419556098048

Posted on a Wednesday, note.

This may have been covered, but did attending an event not count for the 10-10-10 souvenir? I posted an attended for a big event in oklahoma and never got a souvenir. I'm assuming it doesn't count, even though it added a number to my total finds.
Hmm... I wonder whether the souvenir system got confused by the fact that you edited your log on Monday, 11 October 2010.

I can't wait for a TX one!

It would be cool if some of these were like achievements. Not that it woul make a difference, but I think a souvenir for properly logging your first TB for example could maybe be one more nudge in the right direction if these things take off.

Either way, looking forward to the TX one :)

This may have been covered, but did attending an event not count for the 10-10-10 souvenir? I posted an attended for a big event in oklahoma and never got a souvenir. I'm assuming it doesn't count, even though it added a number to my total finds.
Hmm... I wonder whether the souvenir system got confused by the fact that you edited your log on Monday, 11 October 2010.

Not sure, I thought it just didn't recognize attending events. There have been some bugs and delays in he souvenir system, so I thought I'd ask the question. I actually posted my log on the 11th and then edited for my usual spelling errors. I should really learn to proofread better before submitting. I do that on here a lot too.

Not sure, I thought it just didn't recognize attending events. There have been some bugs and delays in he souvenir system, so I thought I'd ask the question. I actually posted my log on the 11th and then edited for my usual spelling errors. I should really learn to proofread better before submitting. I do that on here a lot too.

I'm pretty sure that logging an event was supposed to trigger the 10-10-10 souvenir. But I think the souvi was awardedd by actually logging ON that date, not just submitting a log with that date. The website was crazy-slow logging that day, with everybody trying to log their finds. I think they extended the window to log and get the souvi until the 11th, but maybe you logged your event outside that window. Unless maybe it had to be a designated 10-10-10 event, and not just a plain-jane event? I don't know much about events, and how they are classified, so I don't know if there was any way to "label" an event as a 10-10-10 event or not.

The event was also a 2 day event which may have something to do with it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I know I've read that some people were rewarded the souvenir on 10/11/10, but I think it's safe to say that the "event" was a one day occurrence. Unless I'm crazy for thinking this based on the idea that it was named after a specific single date on the calendar.

I'm pretty sure that logging an event was supposed to trigger the 10-10-10 souvenir. But I think the souvi was awardedd by actually logging ON that date, not just submitting a log with that date.
FWIW, I have the 10-10-10 souvenir, and all I did that day was attend our local 10-10-10 event. I didn't log it until the next day though.
I'm pretty sure that logging an event was supposed to trigger the 10-10-10 souvenir. But I think the souvi was awardedd by actually logging ON that date, not just submitting a log with that date.
FWIW, I have the 10-10-10 souvenir, and all I did that day was attend our local 10-10-10 event. I didn't log it until the next day though.

I found the following statement on the Geocaching.com Facebook page, posted on Oct. 11:

Geocaching.com Record for geocaching accounts to log a cache in a single date... CRUSHED by way way more than 10,000. Log any caches you found on 10-10-10 by Wednesday at 10:10am PDT to be included in the latest tally. (Notice a theme?)

October 11 at 2:45pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I know I've read that some people were rewarded the souvenir on 10/11/10, but I think it's safe to say that the "event" was a one day occurrence. Unless I'm crazy for thinking this based on the idea that it was named after a specific single date on the calendar.

There was a separate Friday 10-8-10 event, followed by a Saturday 10-9-10 event that continued into Sunday 10-10-10. The Saturday/Sunday event was a weekend campout with lots of activities, including a final CITO on Sunday. I logged the event for Sunday, since it was the completion and I stayed thru to the CITO at the end, but you could log it on Saturday or Sunday. Some people just came for one day or the other.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

There was a separate Friday 10-8-10 event, followed by a Saturday 10-9-10 event that continued into Sunday 10-10-10. The Saturday/Sunday event was a weekend campout with lots of activities, including a final CITO on Sunday. I logged the event for Sunday, since it was the completion and I stayed thru to the CITO at the end, but you could log it on Saturday or Sunday. Some people just came for one day or the other.

Oh, now I understand. I would think it would be determined by on which date you claimed the "Attended" log. I could be wrong. :laughing:

They're coming out in order in which the state entered into Statehood and so far they've come out about two a week (7 states so far). Colorado is #38 on the list. It'll probably be at least a couple of months before you see Colorado unless GS changes the frequency of their releases.

ok thank you

eagerly awaiting some Souvenirs for Canada

i'm actually very curious to know what was the basis/reasoning of choosing Germany to have souvenirs awarded for?

I'm sure that it was a simple decision to have european souvis added at the same time as US North American souvis. The US and Germany were likely chosen because 1) US is the home country of the game (or at least Groundspeak), 2) both countries have a very large player base and are broken down into 'states'.

Eventually, all countries will likely have souvis, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I hope that GS will release souvenirs for some other countries (probably from Europe) sooner than all US souvenirs are released. Otherwise it would take years to get souvenirs for country like Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belgium, Italy etc.

I suspect that once they finish Germany, they will move onto a different European country. I also suspect that they will continue to accelerate the rate of release of new souvis.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Oh, now I understand. I would think it would be determined by on which date you claimed the "Attended" log. I could be wrong. :laughing:

M5, I went to your profile. The event had to be logged with a 10-10-10 date for it to count. If you did log it as 10-11-10 at first and then changed the date when you edited the log, that might be the issue.

Edited by mtn-man
M5, I went to your profile. You have logged no 10/10/10 event according to your found geocaches. The event had to have the icon for it to count. Searching OK totally, there were no 10/10/10 events in that state that day (odd, but it is what it is). Unless you attended the specific 10/10/10 events that had the special icon on the cache page, you did not get credit and will not get the souvenir.

The event you attended, notice that there is no special icon.

The event I attended, notice that it has a different type of event icon.

Unless you attended an event that has the special icon, you will not get the souvenir.

I wonder if there is a disconnect here?

I don't think the 10/10/10 *souvenir* was only awarded for people who attended official 10 Years! events. There was a special *cache icon* that was awarded. But the souvenir was supposedly for anyone who either logged a cache with a date of 10/10/10, or who turned on their phones that day. I didn't think 10 Years! events had anything to do with it.

I know a lot of people who were awarded the souvenir despite not going to an event of any kind that day. Are we crossing signals?

I cached on 10/10/10 and didn't log it until two or three days later and didn't realize I received a special souvenir. I did not attend an event on 10/10/10.

Any log on any cache gets you that souvenir.

Are we crossing signals?

Yes, which is why I severely edited my post if you look up there.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

M5, I went to your profile. The event had to be logged with a 10-10-10 date for it to count. If you did log it as 10-11-10 at first and then changed the date when you edited the log, that might be the issue.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I changed the date. I usually only edit for misspelled words. It is possible I logged it on 10-9-10 (actually logging on the 11th backdated to the 9th since I didn't get home until Sunday night the 10th), then changed it to 10-10-10 to help with the most logs in a day. I don't think I did, but it is possible since either day was OK to log. I'm pretty sure I didn't even know about the souvenirs then, it's not a big deal, I was mostly curious if events counted or not.

I for one think the souvenirs are great. THANKS. Of course I have 7 of the 9 states released so far.

The one thing that might have been (or might be) done different is maybe GS should have started with souvenirs for each country instead of each state. Is it to late to put the states on hold and do countries? This way everyone would get a badge or two or three that have meaning to them. Maybe even do the countries in order of the number of members. (would not want the US to wait to long.)

Just a thought.

2 more states released--c'mon Virginia! I'm getting antsy!

Of course I would never dream of my suggestion going into affect until after VA gets a souvenir. :D:D

:laughing: This release order makes me remember with regret that trip to Baltimore where our planned caching side-trips all fell through for one reason or another. And of course all the times we drove through Pennsylvania and never stopped anywhere to find a cache.