GPSMAP 62S locking or freezing up

vagabond

Mine was shutting off with version 2.5 due to extended map panning.

Now it locked up once with version 2.6 due to who knows what.

I'm guessing by the time we get to version 3.25 all the issues will be worked out...... it's a software thing.

Were you scrolling in the map screen?

I was logging a find on a cache and pushed the button 3 times before I let it reach the map screen.

Mine was shutting off with version 2.5 due to extended map panning.

Now it locked up once with version 2.6 due to who knows what.

I'm guessing by the time we get to version 3.25 all the issues will be worked out...... it's a software thing.

Were you scrolling in the map screen?

I was logging a find on a cache and pushed the button 3 times before I let it reach the map screen.

All three times it was in compass mode and just sitting on the console??

Mine shut off once when scrolling with 2.50 and since upgrading to 2.60 has completely locked up twice both times it was left on in my pocket whilst travelling in the car, battery removal was needed to turn off !! so I guess it's a bug !! :)

thinking about it mine too was left on the compass screen !!

Edited by page28

Any one else having this problem, ours locked up twice on the way to Vegas last Sunday

pulled the batteries and it was ok it also happened once on the way home.

Running version 2.60

I've never been to Vegas so it hasn't happened to me. :)

But mine locks up solid at least once a day, and always on the map screen, but not panning or doing anything at all to the gps.

I'll be riding along thinking the display hasn't updated itself in a while, and sure enough, I need to pull a battery out and let it start over.

Any one else having this problem, ours locked up twice on the way to Vegas last Sunday

pulled the batteries and it was ok it also happened once on the way home.

Running version 2.60

I've never been to Vegas so it hasn't happened to me. :)

But mine locks up solid at least once a day, and always on the map screen, but not panning or doing anything at all to the gps.

I'll be riding along thinking the display hasn't updated itself in a while, and sure enough, I need to pull a battery out and let it start over.

mine sometimes freezes up on the map screen, where the indicator will not get close to the cache i'm after, it'll be from when i exited the car, but the data fields will still change.

so i'l get out of the car and it'll show it far way and the data field will show 50m, i'll start walking and the data fields will start counting down and i'll be standing on top of the target, but the map still show me far away. a power off/on and it start navigating properly again.

Edited by brucered

2.7.... me too.

When I click on NOT ATTEMPTED, and then say find nearest, it still picks the one I decided not to attempt. It would be seconds faster if it went to the next closest cache.

Also....I keep forgetting that I already tried to find a cache (added field notes), and I do the very same thing again (2 sets of field notes for one find).

Perhaps they need me to come down there and help them fix the software. Where do I sign up to help? Who do I contact?

....and.... It's probably the same on the Oregon....but...

while at an event, they handed out a list of 12 new caches to go find.

I entered them by hand into the 62S as waypoints. Is this the best way?

I would like them to have geocache treasure chest icons, and act like the POI geocaches I put in previously.

Is that possible...I didn't see a geocache treasure chest icon in my choices?

This afternoon I had two units lock up within moments of one another. ( command at the time was find )

Over the past three days both 62s units locked up a total of seven times. Turning the units off then back on worked five times. It was necessary to remove the batteries the other two times.

On each occurrence satellite recapture was speedy and the units picked up right where they left off.

Version 2.6

Same problem here.....version 2.6.

My GPSr progression:

Legend CX.....purchased it long after the maturation of the software...no problems

60CSC..........ditto...no problems

Oregon 300....purchased it hot off the press...lots of problems however, after "many" firmware updates the software matured & it worked wonderfully....until I turned it into a brick....no fault of the Oregon!

62s....purchased 3 days ago...gave it an extensive workout yesterday with 32 finds consisting of 17 trads, 1 LB, 5 multies, 2 earth caches & 7 puzzle caches. Not a happy camper...froze up 7 times that I counted. Had trouble accessing "Show Found" & it lost the navigation data fields several times. Had to pull the batteries & it worked fine.

I do love the unit but please Garmin, work on the problem so that I don't lose my enthusiasm.

Guess I'll try my luck with 2.7.

doesn't garmin have a Beta Test team or anything? these things should be worked out well in advance of public release.

We ARE Garmin's Beta test team, and I'm glad to be. B) But really, I'd rather see and be involved with the latest from Garmin than be kept in the dark about new stuff until it's been around for ages, but is finally tested to the Nth degree.

So I really don't care if there are minor issues on a great product which will eventually be perfected, unlike some other companies which release imperfect models then change to a whole new range without ever having fixed the old ones.

I agree. It is nice that Garmin is fairly responsive to the user community and is not afraid to roll out frequent upgrades. I will gladly put up with beta releases and quirks that I am confident will be ironed out in time.

After all, I use my GPSr for geocaching, and hiking/biking. It is nt like it is mission critical if I have to remove the batteries for a second to clear a locked GPSr. Now, if I were using the GPSr to fly a fighter jet, or navigate an ambulance to a waiting patient, I would feel differently. But they have other GPS solutions for those uses.....

Mine hasn't froze or locked up since the upgrade, but I really haven't had a chance to use it that much

Mine was ok until today and it just locked up sat in the cradle after just over 1/2hrs driving !! odd because it was used most of yesterday without a glitch (apart from having to change the batteries !!!! )

the only thing I've done is add another couple of GPX's last night ...

Mine hasn't froze or locked up since the upgrade, but I really haven't had a chance to use it that much

Mine was ok until today and it just locked up sat in the cradle after just over 1/2hrs driving !! odd because it was used most of yesterday without a glitch (apart from having to change the batteries !!!! )

the only thing I've done is add another couple of GPX's last night ...

No problems since the new firmware was installed, still keeping my fingers crossed :D

I've had it freeze half way through the GPX load progress bar. That's the spot where things seem to start happening in the background as I get the "Continue searching for satellites?" question there when indoors.

I have been running 2.70 for over a week. I ran into what I thought was a frozen GPSr after changing batteries. During the boot process, the display lingered a LONG TIME on the loading gpx files screen. I pulled the batteries, replaced, and it booted right up. But it also corrupted my GPX files (all of them) on the unit. No geocaches showed up on the unit at all, even after multiple (hopeful) reboots. Unfortunately, I was on a road trip and did not have my laptop, so no more caching til I got home (500 miles later) and removed and replaced (with updated file) the gpx files.

Other than that, I have not had any issues with the 2.70 update. No more freezes on the map or geocache screen, like some previous versions.

I ran into what I thought was a frozen GPSr after changing batteries. During the boot process, the display lingered a LONG TIME on the loading gpx files screen. I pulled the batteries, replaced, and it booted right up. But it also corrupted my GPX files (all of them) on the unit.

That's what happened to me when it froze there. Now I always power up the unit and let it successfully load the GPX before leaving the computer.

I just bought a 62s to replace my aging 60csx.

Get it home (worked on the way home), register it, update the software, and now it won't stay on. It will boot up and get to the map page, then turn itself off. Tried removing the batteries - same thing. Tried plugging it into the car - same thing.

I've about had it with this thing. Any suggestions?

FYI - did a hard reset (page + enter + power) and it seems to be working now.

I updated my firmware last night from 2.4 that came on the unit because it would freeze when I was on the "find another" Geocache screen. Wow, what did I get myself into? The 2.7 had soooooo many glitches, freezes, and just would not start up. I think I must have pulled the batteries a dozen times trying to get it to go. I was ready to pitch it in the lake. :(

I did the hard reset and it's like new. It seemed to fix my issue also. :D

team trashcan

Mine worked all day yesterday with no issues on 2.7

I loaded 2.70 on mine - it got stuck on "loading profiles" so I had to do a hard reset on it, and it's been fine so far.

Does anyone know how to set the device so it **doesn't** go into mass storage mode as soon as you hook up the USB? The 60csx asks when you connect the USB port, but this thing seems to figure I want mass storage mode as soon as I hook up the USB cable.

Does anyone know how to set the device so it **doesn't** go into mass storage mode as soon as you hook up the USB? The 60csx asks when you connect the USB port, but this thing seems to figure I want mass storage mode as soon as I hook up the USB cable.

You need to go into setup (Menu/Menu/System/Interface) and choose Spanner Mode.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Thanks - the Spanner mode appears to work. I was hoping not to use spanner, as it doesn't appear to install on my Windows 7 box. I was thinking that there was some way of using the NMEA In/Out mode, but I haven't figured that out yet.

This could be due to your battery save settings. The same thing happened to me once, I thought my batteries were dead. If this happens again, try pressing a button and see if it recovers from battery save mode.

I just bought a 62s to replace my aging 60csx.

Get it home (worked on the way home), register it, update the software, and now it won't stay on. It will boot up and get to the map page, then turn itself off. Tried removing the batteries - same thing. Tried plugging it into the car - same thing.

I've about had it with this thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks - the Spanner mode appears to work. I was hoping not to use spanner, as it doesn't appear to install on my Windows 7 box. I was thinking that there was some way of using the NMEA In/Out mode, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Spanner mode works just fine on my Win 7, WinXP and iMac computers. You just need to tell it how to connect through the gps when you plug it in.

<snip>

Spanner mode works just fine on my Win 7, WinXP and iMac computers. You just need to tell it how to connect through the gps when you plug it in.

Hmm - I must be doing something wrong then. I tried to install spanner on my Windows 7 installation and it refused to install. I did get it to work with an XP machine (a supported configuration) and it worked fine. The mac software (macGPS Pro) works fine with the 60csx, but the 62st doesn't work - it shows up as a USB device but I can't write commands to it. It's not super tragic, but I would like to be able to use the new GPS unit as a data source.

On a thread related note, a few days after the hard reset of the 62st, it has been well behaved and hasn't reset or acted oddly, which makes me happy. Version 2.70

<snip>

Hmm - I must be doing something wrong then. I tried to install spanner on my Windows 7 installation and it refused to install. I did get it to work with an XP machine (a supported configuration) and it worked fine. The mac software (macGPS Pro) works fine with the 60csx, but the 62st doesn't work - it shows up as a USB device but I can't write commands to it. It's not super tragic, but I would like to be able to use the new GPS unit as a data source.

On a thread related note, a few days after the hard reset of the 62st, it has been well behaved and hasn't reset or acted oddly, which makes me happy. Version 2.70

Don't confuse "Spanner mode" on the GPS with the ability (or need) to run Spanner (the program) on your PC. Spanner mode simply tells the unit how to behave when connected via. It is the same as the Oregon and described in detail here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power#toc11

Spanner (the program) can be used on Windows XP to create a virtual serial interface which can be used by programs running on your computer to talk NMEA to your GPS. I don't believe it is supported in Win7 as you've already found out!

<snip>

Don't confuse "Spanner mode" on the GPS with the ability (or need) to run Spanner (the program) on your PC. Spanner mode simply tells the unit how to behave when connected via. It is the same as the Oregon and described in detail here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power#toc11

Spanner (the program) can be used on Windows XP to create a virtual serial interface which can be used by programs running on your computer to talk NMEA to your GPS. I don't believe it is supported in Win7 as you've already found out!

Hi,

I wanted the NMEA data for use with other non-garmin programs. The 62st has been fine working with the Garmin programs.

I think my answer now will be to take the gps16x-LVS, wire up a serial cable/USB adapter to it,and use that as my GPS data source.

Thanks for that link - it has a bunch of helpful information!

I've left my 62st hooked up to the the last day or so, and it hasn't hung yet. So far so good.

My 62s has twice froze on the boot up screen (loading waypoints, routes....). Running 2.70. What the heck is up with this? Maybe Garmin will fix it in the next software release..... It really sucks to lose geocaches when on a trip (happened once - don't want it to happen again).

I bought a 62s again several weeks ago. It was factory loaded with 2.90. Running webupdate tells me I have the latest firmware installed. I don't want to try the beta.

My unit has locked up 3 times. All were in Satellites page. Battery was full or just 1 bar less. I have some Geocache loaded (from geocaching.com and Garmin's My Extra page) as well as MetroGuide Canada V4 and Canada Topo (with entire southern part of the country). Both maps were enabled except base map.

Battery is set to NiMH. Battery Save is Off.

I had the same issue when I first bought the 62s when it was just released (returned shortly after then). I need the tracklog mostly. I still run the rock-solid 60CSx side-by-side in case 62s acts up, again. *sigh*

I've noticed that PQ's that are GPX v1.0.1 and any other GPX file that has some of the newer attributes causes random lockup's when using the geocaching features of the unit. Since I set the GPX version back to v1.0 in my profile on geocaching.com my problems have went away. I haven't had any lockups since. I'm running the latest firmware as far as I know.

GPSGate does the same thing and it claims Win7 support but unfortunately it is $40.

http://gpsgate.com/p.../gpsgate_client

FYI - this changed a couple of months ago. Single private use is now free - no time limitation. For those who have given up on Garmin Spanner since it keeps disconnecting periodically from ALL current (and some discontinued) Garmin units, I can heartily recommend scrapping Spanner in favor of the gpsgate product. I haven't had it spuriously disconnect on me yet.

I have had my 62S for about a week and have been using it 5-8 hours every day, geocaching. I am running the 2.95 beta firmware and have not had a single lockup (or any other strangeness either). I am very, very pleased with this device!

Yeah, baby! You like it? Me too! One thing I have to ask. I spent a lot of time looking for a cache today and finally gave up. When I was about to log a DNF on my PC, I saw that the CO had posted a "temporarily unavailable" maintenance note. I had read the cache description, hint and logs on my 62s but didn't see that. Do pocket queries not have that specific info?

Yeah, baby! You like it? Me too! One thing I have to ask. I spent a lot of time looking for a cache today and finally gave up. When I was about to log a DNF on my PC, I saw that the CO had posted a "temporarily unavailable" maintenance note. I had read the cache description, hint and logs on my 62s but didn't see that. Do pocket queries not have that specific info?

Sure does. Maybe the PQ was made just before the note was posted, or the PQ was set to exclude disabled caches....so you would never have received that cache in the PQ.

Sure does. Maybe the PQ was made just before the note was posted, or the PQ was set to exclude disabled caches....so you would never have received that cache in the PQ.

I checked the date I created the PQ and discovered that the CO's note was also the same date. I've concluded that it must have appeared on the site just after I downloaded the PQ. Thanks for your reply.

Hey Everyone,

Sad to say I too am having this problem.

Happened to me three times while driving about 200 miles. All three times it froze as I was rising in altitude such as driving up a mountain range.

Very annoying. Just tried updating with basecamp - it said everything is up to date.

Where to from here?