Geotrails

Alphadog

We really enjoyed doing the Star Spangled Banner Geotrail in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC this past spring. And we have our eye on the Great Lakes Seaway Trail Geotrail for next spring. These are both sponsored by the local parks departments/visitors bureaus so tend to be well maintained and very user-friendly. I am just wondering if there are other similar geotrails out there and how to find out about them. Thanks!

Alphadog

I think you'r referring to power trails. At least around here, geotrails are the noticable stompings of previous hunters.

Actually the "trails" that the OP is referring to, is more appropriately called a Series:

Star Spangled Banner Geotrail Bookmark List

We had a chance to grab a couple of the SSB Caches when we were back in D.C. for an awards ceremony for my Wife, which included the SSB Fort McHenry National Park Cache, where we had the opportunity to help lower the 40 foot replica of the Star Spangled Banner at the end of the day :mad:

2e75a04e-eb8b-4ba1-891a-d23f40f36d87.jpg

Back on topic a bit, I'm not familiar with anything similar on the Left Coast :blink:

Can you provide a link to the geotrails you reference?

Georgia State Parks has a Geo-Challenge but I'm not sure it is a "geotrail" since it does not follow a path around the state, it just encourages caching in the state parks.

Thanks for this link. This is exactly what I was referring to. The two links other posters provided were to the two Geotrails I mentioned: Star Spangled Banner and Great Lakes. I neglected to mention in my original post that we enjoy earning the coins that these challenges offer as a reward.

Edited by Alphadog

Can you provide a link to the geotrails you reference?

Georgia State Parks has a Geo-Challenge but I'm not sure it is a "geotrail" since it does not follow a path around the state, it just encourages caching in the state parks.

Thanks for this link. This is exactly what I was referring to. The two links other posters provided were to the two Geotrails I mentioned: Star Spangled Banner and Great Lakes. I neglected to mention in my original post that we enjoy earning the coins that these challenges offer as a reward.

The links to what you mentioned were provide in response to another posters request.

Three more I am aware of.

...snip

There's also one called Susquehanna Sojourn that includes 25 caches along the Susquehanna river between Corning and Binghamton. The project was sponsored by a Chesapeake Watershed organization. Some of the caches are only accessible by boat. Each one has a stamp that was used to stamp a form available at a couple at a couple of different Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Centers. If you got 12 stamps it could be redeemed for a geocoin (not sure there are any left). One of the caches in the series that I found was under a bridge a bit too close to the waters edge. After a heavy rain the water level went up and filled the container with water. The combination of water in a geocache combined with a stamp pad is not pretty.

The Allegheny GeoTrail has already been mentioned. You can search for caches with AGT in the title.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go

The Butler Freeport Trail Historic GeoTrail is a collection of 20 caches that tell the local history near where I live. They have a geocoin to earn if you find them all.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&submit4=Go

Also, Armstrong County, PA is in the process of publishing a geotrail with an associated coin. I've heard it's going to be 30-some caches around the county, but apparently they've been having some issues getting it going. (Permission and archiving of existing caches, etc.)

I love series ... two of my caches involve a series of stops, and it's a great way to present a historical theme or area. Think about series when you're putting caches together!

Jeannette

I wrote the book on geocaching: Open Your Heart with Geocaching, now available as an ebook at www.booksaboutgeocaching.com!