Hello fellow Geocachers

julado

Hi, not sure if we are in the right location on this forum to say hello. If this thread is not at the right co-ordinates can someone give us a cryptic clue as to where it should be :)

Back in August my partner mikeybaby72 and myself were in Broadstairs and come across a cache...just left on some big bins next to the beach. I had heard about Geocaching and mike hadn't a clue.

We found somewhere safe to leave "Don't Jump" and came on here to inform the owner that we (now realising we were called Muggles) had found it...didn't believe it was where it should be and we said where we had put relocated it so they could go and put it back where it should be.

Well as you can see months have passed and we had looked at the site here to see where caches are in our own area.....and that is as far as it got. UNTIL THIS EVENING.

We are happy to say we have found our first geocache in Central Sheffield....it was fun watching Mike laying on his back in the middle of town with his arm up the inside of a bell.....in a very public place I might add B)

We are so looking forward to finding more in and around Sheffield.

We are without GPS....and that can only make it more fun for us.

So just to say hello to everyone out there.

Hello and welcome to the mad world of geocaching.

You are in the right location for the UK section so we should at least speak the same lingo :)

This is the best place to follow what is going on locally well in the Uk, and if you have any questions dont be scared to ask.

Watch out for the search box, as what ever you search for must have 5 or more charcters otherwise it does not work.

There are quite a few cachers who do not use GPSr's but in the long run you will find it easier with one especially out in the country side, which is generally where the better caches are.

Well done on your first find only 1,214,913 to go.

Happy Caching

Thanks to all for the welcome.

I really hope that I don't get too wrapped up in this....for now I just want to find the ones in Sheffield town centre....and the ones in Thanet when I get back to Broadstairs.

I bet this is how you all started isn't it.....oh, I'll just find local ones....oh dear what have I done :)

Thanks to all for the welcome.

I really hope that I don't get too wrapped up in this....for now I just want to find the ones in Sheffield town centre....and the ones in Thanet when I get back to Broadstairs.

I bet this is how you all started isn't it.....oh, I'll just find local ones....oh dear what have I done :blink:

Before you know it, you'll be attending events, then it spreads into camping, you make friends who want to go caching with you...........

.... and you find yourself driving for 7 hours, doing 289 miles just to go and stay with another cacher, and then driving home again via another cacher's house for a brew......

You'll never go anywhere without checking for caches first now.... you have been warned!!!!!

Phew...after reading the further replies I think I am fairly safe.

No GPS and No Car....well that's a start to keeping my sanity :blink:

I'm not so bothered about caches in remote areas.....yomping over hills and dales isn't what I am into. I have disabilities and cannot walk too far. I just intend to do central ones - I like the idea that they are hidden in full view so to speak and that thousands of people walk by them everyday not knowing they are there.

Strangely when we had found the Bochum one we walked up to a little inner city park space...one mike used to spend time at when he was homeless....and when we got home and checked the site...guess what there is one there too. We are going back to find it soon.

I have something else that occupies a lot of my time which I won't be able to put aside to go hunting caches.....though saying that the other thing involves going to different places sometimes - so I will check out beforehand and see if there is anything gettable.

..... i hope they cooked you a good dinner when you got there. and had the kettle on. :grin: lmn

Hmm Not sure I'd eat anything they cooked, thank God for a decent Chinese!!

Seriously - this is more than a hobby - it takes over your life and gives you a whole new and exciting one if you let it!

I have just found a whole new and exciting life in a different direction - so geocaching cannot be anything more than a considered interest outside of that.

I will have to discipline myself to not letting it intrude too much on my life and the other great things I have in it. B)

..... i hope they cooked you a good dinner when you got there. and had the kettle on. :angry: lmn

Seriously - this is more than a hobby - it takes over your life and gives you a whole new and exciting one if you let it!

Isn't it about time you came round for a roast dinner?

Edited by The Other Stu

I very nearly suggested it after my trip to see Little Miss Naughty, but then I already had plans to see Kerrie and Nat - and they offered me dinner too - but it would have got silly.... getting home at 7pm was bad enough!!

I also had an offer of a brew from Dave and Mary.... I did joke that I could have gone from cacher to cacher supping brews all the way home, but I'd never have got home!!

All goes back to that joke we had that we could spend a whole summer going from cacher to cacher's houses staying for a couple of days at each!!!

If I was really canny I could have done LMN - Dave and Mary's - Nat and Kerrie's - Yours - Angellica's - Sarah and Kev's - Mongers' - Badger's - home!!

Imagine that!!!!!

..... i hope they cooked you a good dinner when you got there. and had the kettle on. :( lmn

I might not know a lot about geocaching but I do know about forum etiquette....unless of course you are inviting me to come round for a roast dinner :angry:

Hello all,

I am from Germany and I will do an internship in Rotherham for 3 months. I will be there from the end of August until the beginning of December.

As I will have a lot of free time, I want to try English Geocaching :) The friend I will stay at also wants to try it. So I just signed up to this community, hoping that we maybe find some other people from Rotherham who would like to get to know us and go find some caches :)

So...anyone out there from Rotherham? =)

Best wishes

Nele

Hello all,

I am from Germany and I will do an internship in Rotherham for 3 months. I will be there from the end of August until the beginning of December.

As I will have a lot of free time, I want to try English Geocaching :) The friend I will stay at also wants to try it. So I just signed up to this community, hoping that we maybe find some other people from Rotherham who would like to get to know us and go find some caches :)

So...anyone out there from Rotherham? =)

Best wishes

Nele

I live in good old Rotherham and know a few cachers round here that maybe interested meeting up with someone from Germany. I'll PM you my details.