How many souvenirs do you have?

I haven't a clue. Is it somehow important? Does my standing in my local geocaching community depend on it?

of course!!! the number of finds multiplied by the number of soovs equals the amount of respect you get from other geocachers. if you have three soovs, you get three times as much respect as someone who has only one soov with the same number of finds. and if you don't have any soov at all, you will be considered a total noob, no matter how many finds you have! B);):)

Edited by dfx

We have two, the 10/10/10 and the HQ one which we don't qualify for but showed up anyway.

It was my understanding that if you just fired up the geocaching app on an iPhone/Droid in an existing zone you'll get awarded a souvenir (not that agree with this implementation).

Wasn't it MountainMan (don't know the exact user id) that showed an "pre-release" of his profile that listed 5-6 souvenirs? When is he going to start a "new world record set for souvenirs" thread?

The other response from the thread that knowschad pointed out of significance was a response from a Lackey to a question if we would be able to submit suggestions for souvenirs and basically said that we would once they had a process in place to handle those requests.

Of course, I didn't wait for that and suggested that in addition to the U.S. States, provinces in Canada, a few countries in Europe, and states in Germany that are already earmarked for souvenirs that adding souvenirs for other regions such as the 23 provinces in China, 7 regions in Costa Rica, 40 provinces in France, etc. be created. It seems to me that souvenir zones based on political boundaries would be fairly easy to create (though it would certainly require a bit of research). That, to me, could be a "category" of souvenirs, and additional categories such as major geo-events (i.e. 10/10/10 events) would be another category. I suppose smaller regions that are associated with large parks or something like "death valley" or "Yosemite" (despite the fact that it may only have virtual caches in the zone) could be added, and would just as soon not see souvenir zones based on some sort of specific geographic feature that was determined worthy of a souvenir based on a "wow factor".

Thats what I keep wondering as well. I can think of a few to create.

Something like finding a caching 'zone'.

Oregon Trail Souvenir.

Pony Express.

Counties.

etc....

Yes! and

Lewis and Clark route

The ALCAN Hwy

Route 66

Edited by SgtSue

You want this

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

on a ring? ;)

I would probably actually want that. B)

Will it be trackable. :)

Maybe a GC of some kind?

I have seen a standard GC with the ROT13 encoding.

I'm hoping that eventually they will let us trade them in for a secret decoder ring.

You want this

Decryption Key

on a ring? :)

I'd prefer this one:

secretdecoderring.jpg

By the way, I have one Souvenir so far. Once the go retroactive, though, I should get a few more. However, since they will be retroactive, I'm shopping around for a protective lead suit. That stuff can be hazardous to your heath.

I'm hoping that eventually they will let us trade them in for a secret decoder ring.

You want this

Decryption Key

I'd prefer this one:

secretdecoderring.jpg

But is that trackable?

I'd look silly with that ring on and a TB chain and tag attached to it. B)

You want this

Decryption Key

I'd prefer this one:

secretdecoderring.jpg

But is that trackable?

I'd look silly with that ring on and a TB chain and tag attached to it. ;)

This is trackable, wouldn't you prefer this?

121317869_74e75dace2.jpg

you know you would B)

You want this

Decryption Key

I'd prefer this one:

secretdecoderring.jpg

But is that trackable?

I'd look silly with that ring on and a TB chain and tag attached to it. ;)

This is trackable, wouldn't you prefer this?

121317869_74e75dace2.jpg

you know you would B)

But... but... but. It isn't a decoder ring. I want a decoder ring that can also be my personal coin.

I guess I could wear that one on a chain. (I already know where my end of year bonus is going. Personal Pathtags and some GC's).

I have hundreds of souvenirs spread all over the house.

I've had some of them so long I can't remember where I got them! Kinda negates the purpose of the souvenir, doesn't it?

I posted this in another souvenir thread but I thought it bears repeating. Souvenirs have been equated to those sew on patches one can get to put on a backpack to show all the places you've been. That reminded me of when I used to do a lot of backpacking and had one of those aluminum plates that was often a part of a cook kit carried in a backpack. A metal engraving tool was used to engrave the names of many places in California such as Lake Tahoe, Sequoia, Yosemite, Death Valley, etc. There were probably about 20 names on the back of the plate. I had actually only been to about 12 of them. I bought the plate at a garage sale.

That's how it seems that souvenirs have been implemented. One can find a souvenir by going out geocaching, finding a cache in a souvenir zone, and then log a found it online. However, souvenirs can also be obtained, if one is using the official geocaching app on an iPhone/Droid merely by searching for geocaches in a souvenir zone (I've even heard that just launching the app will produce a souvenir). That can be done from ones living room (as was the case for me for the 10/10/10 souvenir), while driving in a car, or on a bus or train traveling through a souvenir zone. IMHO, souvenirs should only be award when one has actually found and logged a cache in a souvenir zone.