Travel Bug "Heaven"

Guest JSB-1958

Guest JSB-1958

How about the creation of a common cache, designated as the "Travel Bug Heaven" cache? All the missing travel bugs could be transfered to that cache by their owner. I, for example, have a travel bug that has been verified as missing from a cache about a month ago. I was hoping that someone had found it during a geocaching binge and was going to do all the entering when they returned home, but I have about abandonded all hope of that happening.

The bug still shows on the cache page as being there, though it is not. As the bugs owner, and having the number for it, I could pick it up from the cache, then put it in a "travel bug heaven" cache. If the person who does have the bug does happen to enter the number six months or two years from now, they would enter it, and it would show it retieved from "Travel Bug Heaven" After it was in their possession, they could then place it in whatever cache they chose.

Since travel bug heaven would have to have coordinates, it would show that the bug had traveled an inaccurate number of miles, depending on where heaven happened to be located. The cache owner could then sign back in, and delete the entry where it was retrieved, and the entry where it was placed in heaven. The logs for the bug would be accurate once again.

Where would Travel Bug Heaven be? North pole? (90N 0W?) Middle of the ocean? (0N 0W?)

Guest Markwell

As the owner you could "grab" it without actually putting it in a cache - just make a notation that even though the page has you listed as having the bug - that it's missing.

Then when/if the person who has/finds the bug types in the code it would still bring them to the page and they can grab it from there. A bug does not have to be in a cache to be grabbed.

That way there's not a dummy cache out there with 120 travel bug icons in it. icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

As the owner you could "grab" it without actually putting it in a cache - just make a notation that even though the page has you listed as having the bug - that it's missing.

Then when/if the person who has/finds the bug types in the code it would still bring them to the page and they can grab it from there. A bug does not have to be in a cache to be grabbed.

That way there's not a dummy cache out there with 120 travel bug icons in it. icon_wink.gif

Guest JSB-1958

As the owner of the travel bug, I can grab it from the cache, but what if the person who really has the TB decides six months from now to enter the number on the tag --

As far as the tracking of bugs goes, can one person take it from another directly? Or do they have to take it from a cache?

I don't know -- I am still fairly new to this, but I thought the bug had to be in a cache for the person who really had it to log it, i.e. they could not log one that was showing in my posession.

Guest Markwell

face="Verdana, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by JSB-1958:

As far as the tracking of bugs goes, can one person take it from another directly? Or do they have to take it from a cache?

I actually have a scenario coming up where I had to ask Jeremy that exact question. I'm having four travel bugs released in the four corners of the conitental US. I've been in contact with three of the four corners (I don't have anyone from Florida yet). So the question was, how do I start it?

To paraphrase Jeremy's answer - yes, a person can "Grab" a travel bug from another person while it's not in a cache. They just need the code. This seems to solve the answer for both of our situations.

Also, if you were to set up a cache for Travel Bug Heaven, it would have to have coordinates. Those coordinates would represent a physical place on the planet. When the travel bugs moved to Travel Bug heaven, it would bogusly increase their miles travelled. Same with starting them from a distant point. Just transferring them from person to person wipes the miles travelled out of the transactions.