Make a .GPX file

G7ToWin

Not for Mac, but above will let you create, edit all GPX files. Enter your waypoint info and save as a GPX file. It is my favorite track log utility.

Thanks for that link. I just used G7toWin to open a "corrupted" GPX file from my Colo from June that neither Mapsource or Babel would open. The spreadsheet format of G7 allowed me to see that the track I was seeking didn't exist. Apparently blown away during a battery change sequence mid-trip.

Curious how you use G7 as a track log utility, Inasmuch as it does not give you a visual representation like Mapsource?

Thanks

G7ToWin

Not for Mac, but above will let you create, edit all GPX files. Enter your waypoint info and save as a GPX file. It is my favorite track log utility.

Thanks for that link. I just used G7toWin to open a "corrupted" GPX file from my Colo from June that neither Mapsource or Babel would open. The spreadsheet format of G7 allowed me to see that the track I was seeking didn't exist. Apparently blown away during a battery change sequence mid-trip.

Curious how you use G7 as a track log utility, Inasmuch as it does not give you a visual representation like Mapsource?

Thanks

Make sure you click the Track menu and "List" to see the track points.

As for the utility: You can load a GPX file pulled from a GPS that contains multiple segments or tracks. You can put the segments in order, pull out and save one segment, combine two or more segments into one track, all very quickly.

Is there a way I can make, or edit a .GPX file.

I want to solve more puzzles but they are always wrong in my GPS.

It would help if I could just create a .GPX file with all the info.

Any way to do this easily? How about on a mac?

Wouldn't it be easier to find out why they are "always wrong" and fix it. The datum could be wrong for your county's maps, for instance.

Wouldn't it be easier to find out why they are "always wrong" and fix it. The datum could be wrong for your county's maps, for instance.

What i mean to say is it is not the correct location... because they are puzzles and you know... you have to solve the puzzle before hand to have the correct cords.

I routinely hand-edit puzzle GPX files. It's a bit of a pain because the coordinates are in decimal degrees instead of the usual decimal minutes format. Some time spent at http://www.geocaching.com/wpt/ helps.

Now that I have GSAK it is easier, but I still hand-edit them because GeoBeagle doesn't like the GPX files GSAK exports. Lately I've been more comfortable relying on my 60CSx and I'll leave the unedited GPX on the phone for hints and logs in GeoBeagle.

Edited by JJnTJ

There are several ways to do this. You can manually edit the way points in the desktop apps for your GPSr. I know this works in vantage point for Magellan units, and I am pretty sure it works with the Garmin software. It can be tedious and kind of a drag if you have a lot of puzzle cache solution as you have to re-edit every time you refresh your pocket queried. Of course you can waypoints with a different prefix, such as PZ instead of GC.

as for the co-ords, converting between dd:mm:ss, dd:mm.mmm and dd.dddddd is a fairly simple conversion and most scientific calculators have the functions built-in, What I do is this:

If the puzzle needs to be don on the internet or cna be done one the computer, I will solve the puzzle and put the solutioni co-ords in decimal degrees in a text file on the PC along with the gc code for the cache.

If I'm in the field and working one of those puzzle caches, I just go to the settings, change to the coordinate format that matches the solutions format, and create a waypoint.

The gpx file format is an XML file and can be edited with a text editor, It can also be edited programatically, scripting languages such as perl or through an xslt processor. I started to write a perle script to update the puzzle solution in gpx files but temporarily put it on the back burner due to time constraints.

There are also many excellent XML editors available as freeware. It helps to get a basic understanding of XML W3school (http"//www.w3schools.com) has free online tutorials and links to some editors

What i mean to say is it is not the correct location... because they are puzzles and you know... you have to solve the puzzle before hand to have the correct cords.

Ahhhh! In that case, I edit the waypoint location on my GPS.