Power Trails in NJ

Gemralts

Check the Cooper Union Trail to Governor Mtn in Ringwood State Park. It has a lot of caches along it.

Here is the cache map with a rough sketch of the trail's route.

2a8909d5-eead-483a-a257-6da937b18fb2.jpg

Also the Cannonball Trail in Ramapo Mountain State Forest has a ton of caches along it. The red line is the approximate route.

dd4a7a48-28fd-47d9-905f-3f367e3e9b67.jpg

Moving this to the regional forum.

Edited by briansnat

Check the Cooper Union Trail to Governor Mtn in Ringwood State Park. It has a lot of caches along it.

Here is the cache map with a rough sketch of the trail's route.

2a8909d5-eead-483a-a257-6da937b18fb2.jpg

Moving this to the regional forum.

Also check the Great NY/NJ loop hikes thread to see lots of good potential hikes with many caches along them.

Don't listen to those guys, they don't know what they are talking about. You listen to them and you will die out in the woods, miles from anywhere, wondering how you got to that predicament. B)

If you want a real power trail in NJ look at the Paulinskill Valley Rail Trail near Blairstown.

If you want another power trail in the area, there is one off the Orange Heritage Rail Trail in Monroe/Chester NY.

The North County Rail Trail in Westchester County has blossomed into a power trail.

Route 17 in Paramus

Route 23 in Wayne/Pequannock

Cross the Hudson and do the West Hudson Bikeway--a fair number of caches,

Do Central Park a ton of caches * (* see note below about Harry Dolphin Puzzle Caches)

And if you want an unsolicited opinion ( No you don't---Oh, sorry that is not an option) eschew the power trail mentality for a few months and go up to Palisades Interstate Park and do Polsikrol's caches up there--enjoy the old style of caching-

-You will thank me later-a hike , a view, a find, a couple hours of solitude. And then when you absorb the true joys of geocaching, look up some briansnat caches and go do them--for a first cache of his I would recommend Wyanokie High Point. Or find your way to Harry Dolphin's--Hush Hush Sweet Charlottesburg--skip his puzzle caches- :)

Power trails are overrated and tend to get a little boring after awhile. The joy of caching is in the location, the good hide, the social interaction, not in the numbers per se. Savor it, much like a good meal. Of course this is just one man's opinion.

Welcome to the game.

Edited by Packanack

And if you want an unsolicited opinion ( No you don't---Oh, sorry that is not an option) eschew the power trail mentality for a few months and go up to Palisades Interstate Park and do Polsikrol's caches up there--enjoy the old style of caching-

-You will thank me later-a hike , a view, a find, a couple hours of solitude. And then when you absorb the true joys of geocaching, look up some briansnat caches and go do them--for a first cache of his I would recommend Wyanokie High Point. Or find your way to Harry Dolphin's--Hush Hush Sweet Charlottesburg--skip his puzzle caches- :)

Power trails are overrated and tend to get a little boring after awhile. The joy of caching is in the location, the good hide, the social interaction, not in the numbers per se.

Welcome to the game.

This is why they call Packanack "The Wisest of the Wise".

Edited by briansnat

I've done a few "power trails" that were found in the woods (as opposed to those drive-ups). I found that by the time you get your feet moving at a good pace, you have to stop to find a cache. Then when you start walking again, by the time you get your feet moving, you have to stop and find a cache again. Over and over and over again.

If you add to this that you might be hiking with some friends, you really can't get a conversation going because as soon as you start talking, you have to stop the conversation and find a cache. It gets (as stated above) tiresome, boring, and rather dull.

Don't get me wrong. I like the number-game as much as anyone, but I would rather find a solid viewpoint, a good BS (BrianSnat) cache, a good ole jonboy cache than a bunch on a power trail.

The suggestion to check out the NYNJ Loop Trails is a wise place to start, especially if you are unfamiliar with the parks/trail system that this area has to offer.

But if you really must, here is the one that I referenced in the first paragraph: A Powertrail in the Woods (CT)