Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

FoxFam4

Hi everyone, my first post here so I hope someone can help me.

I already have the basic Garmin eTrex H handheld which I bought about 6 months ago when I started Geocaching. It's a great unit for the price but the only problem I have found with it is that it can only store 6 digits of the GC codes when downloading from geocaching.com. This obviously leads to problems with a series of caches the same first 6 digits with only the 7th being different, i.e. caches get overwritten which means some have to be inputted manually.

I was wondering before I buy a new GPS unit for my son if all Garmins have this same problem. I have been looking at the eTrex Legen HCx specifically.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

I already have the basic Garmin eTrex H handheld which I bought about 6 months ago when I started Geocaching. It's a great unit for the price but the only problem I have found with it is that it can only store 6 digits of the GC codes when downloading from geocaching.com. This obviously leads to problems with a series of caches the same first 6 digits with only the 7th being different, i.e. caches get overwritten which means some have to be inputted manually.

I was wondering before I buy a new GPS unit for my son if all Garmins have this same problem. I have been looking at the eTrex Legen HCx specifically.

Many thanks!

I have the Legend HCx too. Though, I've been using Easy GPS as the Xfer medium. It's odd, I haven't found a 6-character limit to waypoints.. What firmware version is it running?

(upper-Right menu button, till you see Setup, choose System, Press the select Button (left bottom button), Joy-button down once to select Software Version, then press the Joy-button straight inward.)

I can create a new way-point entry for a Geocache with up to 14 characters. with the most recent.. (If I had the capture software to show the screen.)

Stephen (gelfling6)

the legend hcx, is getting kind of old. if you can't afford a new paperless unit, i would spring for the 60cs or 60csx, both paperless, but better units then the legend hcx, if you ask me.

in canada, they are both around the $200-220 mark.

the legend hcx is prone to the rubber coming off as well.

I was wondering before I buy a new GPS unit for my son if all Garmins have this same problem. I have been looking at the eTrex Legend HCx specifically.

Many thanks!

First of all you need to get away from code names to title names. Software like GASK will upload edited cache names to your gps.

If you want to go with an Etrex, which I recommend, go for the Vista HCx. (there is not some chronic problem with the band)

Click here for a side by side comparison. Ignore the prices.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetrexcomp.htm

Edited by BlueDeuce

First of all you need to get away from code names to title names. Software like GASK will upload edited cache names to your gps.

If running GSAK, there's no reason to get rid of the code names, either. Just use the %drop2 to dump the silly "GC" on the front of all of the codes. It's not like we really need to be reminded that they're there. Changing to title names on one of these units is actually trickier. If there is a series of caches that start with the same words in the name, even the "smart name" function of GSAK, while workable, makes longer names that are similar positively indecipherable in a 6 character limit.

I agree with BlueDeuce, if you're going to go eTrex series, go with the Vista HCx. It's what I started geocaching with, and what I carried in the backwoods for a few years. It's a very trustworthy unit, and works well.

However, I also agree with the folks pointing you towards saving just a little more money and going with a Dakota or Oregon. They just aren't that much more cash, and what you get in addition to what the eTrex series will offer you is WAY MORE than worth the extra money you'd spend.

You know if you could swing a few extra coins into the budget you could get a GPS that supports fully paperless caching instead :) One of the Dakota's / Colorado's / Oregon's can do that. So can the newest 62CSx but that one is kinda pricey

Sorry, if I seem a little slow and this may seem like a silly question but what do you mean by paperless geocaching?

How does it work and by this I mean how do you get the cache information / co-ords etc without first somehow transferring them to the GPS unit?

I know there are mobile phones with a WiFi connection that use Geocaching live or other applications; is it the same kind of thing?

Sorry, if I seem a little slow and this may seem like a silly question but what do you mean by paperless geocaching?

With a paperless geocaching GPS, the cache description, hint and recent logs are also copied to the GPS. This way, you don't have to print out the cache pages. Additionally, using the GPS, you can enter a log entry, which you can later upload to geocaching.com and then post. These units also facilitate the quick loading of a number of caches at one time by aggregating the caches in a Pocket Query, which is then copied to the GPS.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

Many thanks!

The cheep and easy fix for this is to drop the GC from the beginning of the cache name with GSAK or similar software as mentioned above.