Pocket query

gadgetgran

Try this:

http://markwell.us/pq.htm

It might help us to know what equipment you have and EXACTLY what you've tried so far.

Were you successful in generating a PQ?

Did the PQ actually create a downloadable file, or did you just "preview" it?

Did you send the PQ file to your computer (desktop, etc).

What program (GSAK, etc) are you using to load the PQ and transfer it to your GPSr?

Don't get frustrated. This whole PQ business is really quite simple. There's probably just one little step you've missed. It happens to just about all of us at first. :P

I have it all sorted now thank you.

I did get as far as creating the PQ and getting it in an email I unziped it then I got stuck But I have it sorted now.

I am using a garmin etrex vista I had been going out with my daughter and her iphone it did seem easier with the iphone and I was half wishing I had splashed out and upgraded my phone to an iphone as well, but I went out with her yesterday and my garmin was more accurate so all-in-all now I have the PQ sorted I am a happy bunny. :P

I have figured out how to get my pocket-queries to my gps , after some explanation from a computer savvy friend , but can someone explain to me in dumb-a** terms why it's not possible on a pocket query to have a button to just "send to gps" . Why are there so many steps to do this , when with just a single cache I can click on the icon on the right side and send it right to gps without e-mails and file openings , and drag and drops etc ................ ???

Hi, also having problems with Pocket Queries and GSAK.

Stumbled upon this thread by coincidence, so thought ask the question here. "GSAK" is too short a term to qualify as search term. Don't know which other word to add.

I manage to

- create PQs

- receive them via email

- unzip them

- include the result of the PQ in GSAK, so that they vanish among all the other ones from different countries and continents.

- create a filter in GSAK

But how on earth do I get those being interesting for me (= the filtered ones) on my GPS?

Do I have to delete all caches in GSAK on regular basis and only have those included which I intend to do the next day or week?

How do the stats created with GSAK work then?

Do I have to send ALL in GSAK to my GPS every time? I assume if no name is chosen in the "send WP to GPS" menu, all are send. (Where can one create a name and link caches to them?) When being in Sydney I do not need the ones in Europe, so I would prefer to NOT load them.

Or do I have to send them one by one to the GPS? Why then use GSAK as additional step?

Why is there no simple button "send result of PQ to GPS"?

Or at least in GSAK a simple button "send result of current filter to GPS"?

I am trying now since several weeks and am about to just delete every single cache in GSAK and my device after every cache weekend and upload the interesting ones one by one from geocaching.com.

This takes ages, so obviously I am too stupid to grasp the advantages of PQs and GSAK...

I am using the GPSMap 78s, and the "send Waypoint to GPS" menu offers next to none options to chosse what exactly one wants to send.

The help-function GSAK explains only the things I can see, but skips those I am struggling with, see above. Might be a hint that they are common knowledge.

Thankful for every hint and tip.

Edited by harraps

But how on earth do I get those being interesting for me (= the filtered ones) on my GPS?

Do I have to send ALL in GSAK to my GPS every time? Where can one create a name and link caches to them.

There IS a button at the top menu to send all caches to your GPSr.

If you FILTER the results, the screen will change to only show the filtered results, and only those will go to your GPSr.

You can create multiple databases and UPLOAD your PQ to any one you choose. I don't have GSAK on this computer, so I'm going from memory, but I believe you just click on DATABASE, and ADD, or something that easy. How embarrasing because I do this often.

You can also USER TICK the caches you're interested in, and filter it that way.

You can also use the GSAK POLYGON EDITOR to enclose an area on a map, save the area as a file on your desktop, then use this file as your FILTER in GSAK. It's pretty nifty and a lot easier to use than it sounds.

http://gsak.net/google/polygoneditor.html

Thank you for your explanations.

Questions might sound stupid, but I really did not get anywhere after testing and trying and reading a lot of stuff during the past months.

Some of the functions/buttons explained above I just did not find and were not that obvious for me.

Will go on trying.

At the moment every single cache in my GPSr has the same name (the one of the PQ), not the correct one.

Maybe I am just too stupid...

Edited by harraps