Gel pens

Ltljon

Definitely the Space Pen.

If you don't want to spend $8 on a Space Pen, then use a standard ball-point pen with traditional ink (NOT the Gel inks).

Gel pens won't write on the Write In The Rain paper that is used in many logbooks. They are nice for writing on standard paper around the office, but really suck for damp logs or waterproofed logs in caches.

Space Pens write on dang near anything and they work equally well on damp paper as they do on dry paper.

Definitely the Space Pen.

If you don't want to spend $8 on a Space Pen, then use a standard ball-point pen with traditional ink (NOT the Gel inks).

Gel pens won't write on the Write In The Rain paper that is used in many logbooks. They are nice for writing on standard paper around the office, but really suck for damp logs or waterproofed logs in caches.

Space Pens write on dang near anything and they work equally well on damp paper as they do on dry paper.

I use a Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 cartridge in my walking around pen. It is a gel refill that writes just fine on 'write in the rain' paper.

I asked my wife for an Inka Pen for my birthday, and I love it! I keep it on my key chain, and have never had a problem with it. I have tested how it writes under water and upside down. It works extremely well, though is a little expensive. They have them at the MEC store in Burlington, ON. Not too sure where else carries them.

Mine (Pilot G2) seems to write just fine on RITR paper and NGAP.

They run if you try to write on wet paper (but I figure this is not my problem). Once dried (a few hours) they won't run when the paper gets wet.

At less than $2 each, the mini G2 is my pen of choice for carrying around - small enough to tuck into my jeans pocket, cheap enough that I don't feel devastated when I lose them (at last count, I've lost 4), writes smoothly.

I've tried the Power Tank RT - nice pen. Wish it comes in mini form. I have a Space Pen. The mini one is also thin, hard to grip comfortably. And the price - what was I thinking? Generic ball point, Sharpie - tried them. Still prefers the mini G2.

Never tried an Inka. Looks like it might have the same problem as the mini Fisher for me - too thin to grip properly.

Anyway, it all boils down to personal preference. I'd suggest picking a size / form factor and seeing what's available. The best pen is the one you have with you (and works) when you need it :P

Sharpie ultra fine point :P

Same here I have red and black.

RESPECTFULLY disagree. :cool:

I've mentioned by preference to Sharpie here before, but what we've found is the Sharpie Fine Point Pen is much better. The Shapie Ultra Fine Point Marker bleeds through some logs and the ink can spread on wet logs. The Sharpie Fine Point Pen does not bleed through the paper and can be used to write on some pretty wet logs without problem. I've had NO problems using it.

The Fisher Space Pen MAY be better, I haven't used it yet, but the Sharpie Fine Point Pen gets my vote for the best bang for the buck (I got a box of 12 off Amazon for $12).

I usually use a fisher pen, not the bullet kind. Or buy fisher refills and use a pen that they fit in.

Dont like my Inka, way to small and skinny using the half pen and not going to switch it over to full size and carry it that way. To time consuming to switch to full size every time to sign a log.

Sharpie fine point, I use it when I want to write on both sides of the paper at the same time.

If you are looking for a pen to leave in a cache then avoid the gel pens - they tend to leave too much ink and are not dry immediately - which means messy logs and bleeding though paper.

I'm finding the basic Papermate Ballpoint Stick Pens, which were handed out at GW8, hold up quite well, even able to write on a slightly damp logsheet.

I've always got a collection of pens in my pocket when I go geocaching and find some are slow to get writing (so I leave little squiggles in the log margin as I try to get ink,) but my GW8 souvenir pen has been a real trooper.

I really like the Pilot Fine Tip (G-2 05) for the way it writes but for some reason they'll eventually gunk up while laying around or in your pocket & either ruin your clothes or make a mess on whatever you're trying to write on.

I've also got an Avery eGel that writes great but it's slow drying so not good for cache logs. Also it doesn't clip in your pocket easily.

Can't remember how either do on a damp log.

I'm gonna try some of the suggestions with the exception of the high dollar one.

I make it a point to never spend more for an inkpen than I would on a case of beer! (Busch Light, approx $11) :P

For a pen to leave in the cache, I've found that a good quality stick pen is best. Cheap stick pens aren't worth the bother. For smaller caches, you can use one to make a shorty pen: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Mini-Bic-Pen/

The pens I carry with me all the time are standard pen bodies with Fisher Space Pen refills, and an ultra-fine Sharpie marker (which I use mainly to write GCxxxxx codes on my sig tokens).

If you are looking for a pen to leave in a cache then avoid the gel pens - they tend to leave too much ink and are not dry immediately - which means messy logs and bleeding though paper.

That may be true about off-the-shelf gel pens, but it certainly isn't true apout all gel cartridges. A cartridge such as the Schmidt "Super Bowl" 8900 is available in a fine point that doesn't leave tons of ink on the page and dries pretty fast. In fact, most every gel that I've tried (with the exception of disposable pens and the regular parker gel cartridge) dry fairly quickly.

In my opinion, the proper test of whether ink dries quickly enough is whether a leftie who drags his hand can write with the pen without making a mess. Most gels pass this test.

Sharpie ultra fine point :)

Same here I have red and black.

RESPECTFULLY disagree. B)

I've mentioned by preference to Sharpie here before, but what we've found is the Sharpie Fine Point Pen is much better. The Shapie Ultra Fine Point Marker bleeds through some logs and the ink can spread on wet logs. The Sharpie Fine Point Pen does not bleed through the paper and can be used to write on some pretty wet logs without problem. I've had NO problems using it.

The Fisher Space Pen MAY be better, I haven't used it yet, but the Sharpie Fine Point Pen gets my vote for the best bang for the buck (I got a box of 12 off Amazon for $12).

I also use Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Pens (not markers). I LOVE them. They write on anything!

I used a gel pen for a while without any problems.

I use a Pelikan 200 series fountain pen with Noodler's Legal Lapis ink these days. Not necessarily the best choice of pen for hauling around when hiking, but once the Noodler's ink drys it won't run or wash off if the log gets wet.

Edited by u.rusty

Never tried an Inka. Looks like it might have the same problem as the mini Fisher for me - too thin to grip properly.

It's about the same diameter as a standard pen, such as a classic Bic pen.

Mine (Pilot G2) seems to write just fine on RITR paper and NGAP.

They run if you try to write on wet paper (but I figure this is not my problem). Once dried (a few hours) they won't run when the paper gets wet.

At less than $2 each, the mini G2 is my pen of choice for carrying around - small enough to tuck into my jeans pocket, cheap enough that I don't feel devastated when I lose them (at last count, I've lost 4), writes smoothly.

+1. Love my many-colored mini gel pens.

Be careful of some of the gel pens. My kids had the basic cheap-o types (don't have a clue what brand they were) and one was left on the kitchen counter. I took a hot pan out of the oven, and left the kitchen. A few minutes later I heard a weird noise back in the kitchen. When I checked it out..MY COUNTER TOP WAS ON FIRE! I guess the hot pan so close to the gel pen ignited it, and I was lucky I got there before too much damage or anything else really caught. It only left a burn mark on the counter, but it could have been much much worse!